PDA

View Full Version : Amish school shooting.

ferrarigod
10-02-06, 01:21 PM
I have to say I was very surprised when I saw this. :(

Sad. Thoughts and prayers with the victims.

http://www.kwtx.com/breakingnews/4284227.html

(October 2, 2006)—A county coroner now says at least six people died Monday when a gunman opened fire in a one-room Amish schoolhouse in Paradise, Pa.

The gunman is reportedly among the dead.

Three children, one in critical condition, were taken to a nearby hospital, according to initial reports.

Police say the shooting happened at about 10 a.m. CDT Monday at Wolf Rock School, a private school for students in grades one through eight.

According to a school information Web site, the school has 27 students.

The shooting took place in Pennsylvania's Amish country, about 60 miles west of Philadelphia.

About three-dozen Amish people were standing behind a police line outside the small schoolhouse in the aftermath of the incident

The shooting Monday was the third deadly incident of school violence in less than a week in the US.

Last Wednesday, a 53-year-old gunman took six female students hostage at Platte Canyon High School in Bailey, Colo. and later killed one of them, Emily Keyes, 16, before taking his own life.

On Friday, a student at a rural Wisconsin High School shot and killed the school’s principal, John Klang.

The student, Eric Hainstock, was scheduled for a court appearance Monday.

RHR_Fan
10-02-06, 02:20 PM
Geez will it ever stop? In the past month there's been at least four school shootings (QC, CO, WI and now this). There was a plot uncovered in Green Bay a few weeks back that involved a school shooting. Just so sad.

racer2c
10-02-06, 02:46 PM
Sad indeed.

:(

racer2c
10-02-06, 02:48 PM
Details are emerging. It sounds similar to the CO shooting last week.

KLang
10-02-06, 03:15 PM
Geez will it ever stop? In the past month there's been at least four school shootings (QC, CO, WI and now this).

I almost started a thread the other day to ask WTF is up with the world these days. :confused: Now this too. :shakehead

Lizzerd
10-02-06, 03:52 PM
What kind of psycho wants to kill Amish kids? They may be weird in many people's minds, but they are peaceful, and stick to themselves. My brother lives amongst them in Northern Indiana. I don't get it. I just heard on the radio that the gunman released all the boys and kept tthe girls in the schoolhouse. When the police came, he started shooting, then killed himself. Sick dooder.

anait
10-02-06, 03:56 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/5400570.stm

:(

RacinM3
10-02-06, 03:58 PM
What kind of psycho wants to kill kids?

fixed it for you.

oddlycalm
10-02-06, 04:15 PM
Never a shortage of broken or lost people throughout recorded history according to everything I've read. The difference now is that we provide the tools (easy access to repeat fire weapons), a plan to follow (those that have gone before were reported in detail), and the incentive (strike a blow at what pisses you off and go out in a blaze of national TV attention).

I don't see this ending any time soon.

oc

Lizzerd
10-02-06, 04:50 PM
fixed it for you.

You're right. Thanks.

I was thinking of all the kids in the world, why Amish.

RacinM3
10-02-06, 07:28 PM
I knew that's what you meant. :)

emjaya
10-02-06, 10:27 PM
:confused: :(

G.
10-03-06, 12:33 PM
-- Police say that the man who shot children at an Amish school told his wife that he had molested young family members 20 years ago.wtf?

So that's why you kill innocent girls?

These murder-suicide turds need to do the suicide thing first!:flame:

(cnn email alert for source)

TKGAngel
10-03-06, 01:36 PM
CNN article (http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/10/03/amish.shooting/index.html) explaining more about his plans and motives for doing this.

RHR_Fan
10-03-06, 05:43 PM
CNN article (http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/10/03/amish.shooting/index.html) explaining more about his plans and motives for doing this.

Sickening. It's horrible no matter what, but why the hell the Amish? I have a feeling I know what we'll be talking about in sociology tonight...

~Nicole

racer2c
10-03-06, 07:14 PM
Sickening. It's horrible no matter what, but why the hell the Amish? I have a feeling I know what we'll be talking about in sociology tonight...

~Nicole

Accessibility. the majority of psychopaths are cowards. They look for easy targets . Which is why the also some choose suicide by cop.

Andrew Longman
10-04-06, 11:48 AM
I read a piece a while back (no idea where or how to find it) that pointed out something really disturbing.

Yes, there have been a few mass murderers through the ages and even in the first half of the 20th century, but they were rare and mostly very different in nature. Jack the Ripper stands out, but mostly because it was so rare. Bonnie and Clyde, Dillinger and the like killed a lot of people, but they were living a life of crime and mostly killed police. The Mob killed a lot of people during prohibition but killings such as the St Valentines Day Massacre were big deals just because it was as rare as it was grusome.

Charles Manson was the first really chaotic killer hell bent on random destruction. Son of Sam was the first truly random killer. Then add John Wayne Gacy, Ted Bundy, Jeffry Dohmer and a host of twisted random sex related mass murderers. About that time we started seeing these spontanious "go out in a hail of bullets" massacres in the workplace, in schools, in McDonalds, in cafeterias, and so on. They are too numerous to list or even remember but keep in mind that "going Postal" is a fairly new term and with reason.

While not as common the mass murderer is now showing up in Europe, Russia and Japan.

What's interesting is all this has developed over the last 30+ years when there surely were crazy people and guns around for long before that.

As OC said, we have more available to them in terms of firepower and media inspired glory. There is more mobility too. And I think a greater sense on anonymity (and isolation).

But what I also find interesting is that these shooting (school shootings anyway) don't seem to happen in an urban school in, say, Newark where there are a ton of guns, drugs and angry people about. Instead they seem to happen in rural areas in middle America largely thought to be safe, more God fearing, and more ordered than our big cities. Can you think of a safer place to send you kid to school than a bucolic one room school house run by the Amish?

vancouver
10-05-06, 09:46 AM
I heard on the news that the families are preparing for the burials. :(

RaceGrrl
10-05-06, 12:46 PM
Predators do, indeed, go after the most vulnerable. :(

The pictures of today's funeral procession are just heartbreaking. In typical Amish fashion, the community is reaching out to the surviving family of the murderer.

RichK
10-05-06, 12:58 PM
Two of the girls were sisters, which is just unbelievable.