PDA

View Full Version : Chrysler Aspen?

nrc
09-29-06, 08:36 PM
What a great name for a rebadged SUV a mere 10 years late to the dance. I mean, if you're going to pull an old name out of the corporate closet wouldn't you pick one from an era where the company didn't practically go bankrupt? But what says "luxury" better than images of half-vinyl roofs and opera windows? :shakehead

And while we're bashing Diamler-Chrysler, how pathetic is it that they now have to tout their vehicles as featuring german engineering. :(
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/65/DodgeAspen1976ad.jpg
http://www.autoblog.com/media/2006/01/CH007_002AS.jpg

racer2c
09-29-06, 10:27 PM
I've not hidden my long love of all things MOPAR, but I agree the new Aspen styling is atrocious as was the original but I wouldn’t mind towing my boat behind that. At least it’s a capable tower unlike 90% of the faux SUV’s on the market.

The new Crossfire is based on the SLK chassis and it's my understanding that other upcoming models also have shared components with MB.

The Chrysler Aspen is a revised Dodge Durango that takes the gawky exterior and functional interior of that capable SUV and brings them several notchese upscale. The interior is more luxurious than those of Chrysler cars, while the exterior is more refined. The Hemi power, reliability, and big-truck capability remain built-in, making the Aspen an ideal vehicle for wealthy boat or trailer owners.
The 2007 Chrysler Aspen will be the industry’s first full-size SUV to offer standard Trailer Sway Control technology to improve trailer stability and increase towing safety.

The 2007 Chrysler Aspen is more fuel-efficient and maneuverable than many full-sized SUVs, yet it features more interior passenger space and cargo room, not to mention unmatched towing and hauling capability.

With a choice of two V-8 engines, including the 5.7-liter HEMI® with the fuel-saving Multi-displacement System (MDS), Chrysler Aspen provides best-in-class power and torque, while two four wheel drive systems are available (rear drive is standard).

The Chrysler Aspen Limited model comes in two packages, "E" and "J," with a 4x2 and a 4x4 option in each
package. Equipped with the fuel-saving MDS technology, prices for the Limited packages are: Limited 4x2 "E" package begins at $31,490, with 4x4 at $34,265; The Limited 4x2 "J" package begins at $36,905; and the MSRP on the 4x4 "J" package is $39,225. All prices include a $675 destination charge.

The 2007 Chrysler Aspen offers premium features including interior LED lighting, express-up windows, a full-screen navigation radio, heated first- and second-row seats, and a rear-seat DVD entertainment system. A new one-touch lane-change feature allows the driver to quickly activate a three-blink turn signal when changing lanes. Advanced safety and security features include Electronic Stability Program (ESP), Electronic Roll Mitigation (ERM), ParkSense™, Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM) system and side-curtain air bags for all three rows.
“With the most powerful engine in its class – the 5.7-liter HEMI V-8 – the 2007 Chrysler Aspen delivers unrivaled capability and performance with fuel-saving MDS technology,” said Mike Donoughe, Vice President – Body-on-frame Product Team. “Impressive off-the-line acceleration combined with enough torque to tow 8,950 lbs., Chrysler Aspen is a premium SUV where beauty is backed with brawn.”

The Hemi delivers best-in-class 335 horsepower and 370 lb.-ft. of torque, and seamlessly alternates between four-cylinder mode when less power is needed and V-8 mode when more power is in demand.

Chrysler Aspen’s standard engine is the 235-horsepower 4.7-liter Magnum V-8 engine with 300 lb.-ft. of torque, providing smooth and responsive performance. Both the 4.7-liter and 5.7-liter V-8 engines are mated to a five-speed automatic Chrysler-designed heavy-duty transmission (545RFE).

When towing, Chrysler Aspen’s “Tow/Haul” transmission provides crisp shifts and reduces gear searching by holding the lower gear longer. The system will also select a lower gear under downhill conditions in order to utilize the engine’s braking capability.

Link (http://www.allpar.com/cars/chrysler/aspen.html)

SteveH
09-29-06, 10:41 PM
Volare's next. :gomer:

racer2c
09-29-06, 10:43 PM
Volare's next. :gomer:

http://images.heritagecoin.com/images/HNAI/75/15021/15021012088o.jpg

SteveH
09-29-06, 11:29 PM
No, that would be Cordoba. With rich Corinthian leather.

http://www.bhoverdrive.com/gallery/images/large/Cordoba%20at%20Rushmore.jpg

This is a Volare - sister to the Aspen.

http://mclellansautomotive.com/photos/B34492.jpg

:p

:D

G.
09-29-06, 11:33 PM
I've not hidden my long love of all things MOPAR, Do they have a transmission that works yet? The Magnum and the Pacifica interest me...

The reputation of all of the transmissions in anything Chrysler dying, interests me not. Everyone one I know that has a DM minivan has had to get a new trans. I am not kidding. Everyone.

Do they work better if they are placed front-to-back instead of side-to-side??:gomer:

Maybe I'll tack on another post to Warlock's minivan post to ask...

TKGAngel
09-30-06, 07:36 AM
The reputation of all of the transmissions in anything Chrysler dying, interests me not. Everyone one I know that has a DM minivan has had to get a new trans. I am not kidding. Everyone.

I had transmission problems with my Neon when I first bought it. The linkage kept seizing up, not recognizing that my car was in park, and therefore not letting me get my key out of the ignition. My cousin had a problem with his Caliber where he couldn't get it out of park. So I guess this just reinforces your point...

Please don't mock me for this question, but how often should transmission fluid be changed? My car needs to go in for service, and I'm wondering if I should add this to the list?

IlliniRacer
09-30-06, 08:30 AM
I'll never forget Fred Winston on WLS radio in Chicago telling everyone to "Go down to your local Dodge dealer and pick your Aspen."

WickerBill
09-30-06, 08:48 AM
I've always been told you should either change your transmission fluid every 30k miles or NEVER change it.... I'm not sure why. Something about the new fluid eating the gaskets alive.

I really like how the Caliber looks, but the Aspen... bleargh.

nissan gtp
09-30-06, 08:58 AM
automatic transmissions suck

extramundane
09-30-06, 10:02 AM

Hmmm. My mother's on her second Caravan (the first of which ran to 200K miles) with nary a tranny problem.

Thing still drives like a wet sponge, though.

racer2c
09-30-06, 10:58 AM
We've always had some sort of Chrysler/Dodge vehicle in the driveway. Let's see, here are all the problems we've had with are MOPARS since 2000.

-2000 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 4.7 V8.
Reverse solenoid replaced after unable to put truck in reverse. Dealer said it was a bad batch of supplier made parts.
Only problem on 65K when traded in on...

-2003 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4.7 V8 4x4.
High side pressure unit replaced at 63K when AC wouldn't cool. Dealer said it was common problem at that mileage. Still have, mileage at 69K.

-2001 Dodge Stratus 2.4 four banger.
Bought as a cheap commuter into DC. Racked up 72K in two and a half years with zero problems.

-2004 Chrysler Town and Country LXi 3.3 V6
No problems on 35K. There is an issue that I'm getting ready to address in that the van will groan from the front after coming off the highway. After some research I have found that they put a power steering hose on it that is too short. There is a TSB for a replacement of a longer hose, and adding a power steering cooler and the recommendation to run auto-tranny fluid in it.

The tranny's problems with the minivans are legendary and date back to the original minivan which perpetuated the stigma that still holds today. I've read volumes about it before we bought our T&C. The problem, which I’ve read is also a problem with Ford and Chevy mini’s is that the drivetrains in minivans are pulled from their subcompact cars! The 2000 Caravan has the same transmission as a NEON! Drivetrains that were never designed to pull 4000lbs vehicles filled with 7 people and their luggage. Revision after revision the consensus among owners is that the tranny issues in the Chrysler/Dodge vans are history since their 2001 revision. The owner forum at allpar.com has a few experts that know the exact transmission models and revisions that are bad or good.

I run only Mobil 1 full synthetic in all my vehicles with Mobil 1 filters and service the transmissions at the recommended periods.

We were seriously looking at the Pacifica before we decided on the T&C. It’s a minivan for adults. We loved the appointments and fit and finish for the price. The middle row seats are very nice with the middle console and the optional third row is very cool. My wife decided on the T&C because we’re still hauling our teen daughter and her friends around and there is more room for that kind of mass hauling. Once she’s off to college in two and a half years however, I can see us trading in for a Pacifica or something similar.

dando
09-30-06, 12:13 PM
I won't be buying a DCX car or truck ever again. We've had Jeep Grand Cherokees for the past 7 years or so. First one was great, the second one is an unmitigated POS. We're working on 40K miles, and it's been in the shop for an electrical bugaboo @ least six times. It should have qualified for the lemon law. Occassionally for no rhyme or reason a short in the system causes the system to freak out. Lights flash, gauges go haywire, headlights don't function, etc. Very comforting when yer stuck downtown ~ midnight after an evening @ the theater. :saywhat: In addition to that, the fan for the HVAC just went caput, the power steering groans like an old man getting out of bed in the AM, the front AND rear differentials are grinding, the weather stripping is coming off the rear passenger door, and we've had to have a rook leak fixed a couple of times. The sucker's out of warranty, so we're gonna drive it the next six mos. until the wheels fall off and turn it in on the lease. So if ya see a silver Jeep with a V8 and 45K on it on a lot in Cbus come next spring, run. :shakehead

Not mention that there have been 2-3 recalls on this model, and a class action suit for break probs, which amazingly haven't affected our POS. <knocks on wood with both hands>

EDIT: Oh, and how could I forget the probs we had right after we acquired the POS. Took it on a trip to Hilton Head a few weeks after we leased it. We get on the road and the fricking cruise control doesn't work. Not much fun driving ~12 hours w/o cruise. Had to get that fixed in Savannah whil eon vacation. And while it was down there, we noticed a small oil leak on the driveway near the rear of the POS. Some seal was blown in the suspension. :mad:

-Kevin

racer2c
09-30-06, 01:05 PM
I won't be buying a DCX car or truck ever again. We've had Jeep Grand Cherokees for the past 7 years or so. First one was great, the second one is an unmitigated POS. We're working on 40K miles, and it's been in the shop for an electrical bugaboo @ least six times. It should have qualified for the lemon law. Occassionally for no rhyme or reason a short in the system causes the system to freak out. Lights flash, gauges go haywire, headlights don't function, etc. Very comforting when yer stuck downtown ~ midnight after an evening @ the theater. :saywhat: In addition to that, the fan for the HVAC just went caput, the power steering groans like an old man getting out of bed in the AM, the front AND rear differentials are grinding, the weather stripping is coming off the rear passenger door, and we've had to have a rook leak fixed a couple of times. The sucker's out of warranty, so we're gonna drive it the next six mos. until the wheels fall off and turn it in on the lease. So if ya see a silver Jeep with a V8 and 45K on it on a lot in Cbus come next spring, run. :shakehead

Not mention that there have been 2-3 recalls on this model, and a class action suit for break probs, which amazingly haven't affected our POS. <knocks on wood with both hands>

-Kevin

Jeep + theater = :gomer: (just kidding). Jeeps need a mud bath once a month to insure proper running.

That sucks about your Jeep. It's frustrating to have that many problems on a vehicle you 'want' (or wanted to) like. I don't blame you one bit for never going back. The great thing is, with all of the compitition, you don't have too! the big three have a hard time understanding this for some reason.

The reasons I love MOPAR is largely based on nostalgia. I grew up with Chryslers because my dad got a new company car every year (remember when companies did that?) and it was always a Dodge or Chrysler. My first car I bought with my own money was a '69 440 Charger that started off my love of MOPAR muscle cars as a teen. From Charger to 'cuda to Challenger, I've swapped more cams, carbs and headers than I can remember. That aspect imprinted a long love of the make. Yes, the 80's were embarresing. I did have a Shelby Daytona turbo that surprised a quite a few at stop light drags.
Then, once Bob Lutz started taking risks and positioning Chrysler as a design leader, I regained my interest. Aside from the anemic Aspen SUV, I still find I like Chrysler/Dodge styling over most other brands.

/bloggy blog.

dando
09-30-06, 02:40 PM
Jeep + theater = :gomer: (just kidding). Jeeps need a mud bath once a month to insure proper running.

That sucks about your Jeep. It's frustrating to have that many problems on a vehicle you 'want' (or wanted to) like. I don't blame you one bit for never going back. The great thing is, with all of the compitition, you don't have too! the big three have a hard time understanding this for some reason.

Yup. I really like the vehicle and its features, but the quality is horrific. An '04 w/40K should not fall apart like this POS. Oh and the other thing that steams me about this car, is the fact that DCX stopped offering cargo nets as standard equipment (or even as an additional accessorie for that matter). Nothing like groceries becoming projectiles in an accident. :saywhat:

-Kevin

devilmaster
09-30-06, 03:17 PM
My buddy Shawn still has his 80 Aspen. gotta love the slant 6.

My father used to have a 78 Aspen. I also remember getting xmas presents from the local because no one knew if there was going to be jobs left... :(

G.
09-30-06, 04:15 PM
Guy I work with loved his Cherokee (I think), to the tune of 120k with no problems. His new one with 35k has no suspension. Crap keeps breaking. He uses it for commuting, not off-roading.

He will not be a repeat customer.

Car-B-Q
10-01-06, 12:35 AM
Don't get anything that has the 2.7l V-6. Damn thing has a sludge problem, and everyone but Chrysler knows it (at least they don't admit it). Chrysler has been blaming the owners for all the blown engines and not covering them under warranty. Mine had the oil pump grenade and put metal shavings in the engine and basically ruined it. Fortunately, it happened about 3 months before the extended warranty expired. Even then it was like pulling teeth to get Dodge to cover it under the warranty (you know, because of the sludge problem, Dodge is very hesitent to admit fault with any engine problem).

Joelski
10-01-06, 12:44 AM
Old mopars were cool, but nothing since 70 has been any good. My old racetona had a kraut 4 cylinder in it and that was definitely the best thing about it. I wouldn't wish a Chrysler product on my worst enemy,

racer2c
10-01-06, 11:05 PM
This is as bad as the Aspen, if not worse;

I wouldn't be caught dead in this...

http://www.sportruck.com/news/2007-Lincoln-Navigator/title.jpg

The two square gauges are right out of the '79 Fairmont.:yuck:

http://www.sportruck.com/news/2007-Lincoln-Navigator/23.jpg

devilmaster
10-01-06, 11:11 PM
The two square gauges are right out of the '79 Fairmont.:yuck:

:rofl:

You're right! All thats missing is an analog clock where the Lincoln logo is between the two gauges....

Rob
10-02-06, 12:49 AM
I find the new Aspen inoffensive looking, but that Lincoln is a hideous beast. It's got the ugliest nose I've ever seen on an SUV, even including the Aztek.

nrc
10-02-06, 02:55 AM
Yeah, the Navigator is ugly. Always has been. It's ugliness was "freshened" this year. The stupid thing is that Chysler would create the Aspen so long after the SUV market has tanked when they have tons of Dakotas sitting in inventory unsold.

racer2c
10-02-06, 10:37 AM
Yeah, the Navigator is ugly. Always has been. It's ugliness was "freshened" this year. The stupid thing is that Chysler would create the Aspen so long after the SUV market has tanked when they have tons of Dakotas sitting in inventory unsold.

True.