PDA

View Full Version : irl / alms: belle isle

rosawendel
09-29-06, 02:31 PM
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/indycar/32952/

belle isle on labor day: not too much mud then, eh?
watch alms on saturday, drive home on sunday?

KLang
09-29-06, 02:51 PM
Hey, this is real popular over at gomerville. :laugh:

Why would anyone do this? :confused:

I thought when CART was there everyone HATED that venue.

devilmaster
09-29-06, 02:51 PM
I ain't gonna go.

But if anyone does, and they want to head out for a pint Windsor side, let me know.

cameraman
09-29-06, 02:53 PM
When was Belle Isle "renovated and improved"?

RusH
09-29-06, 03:21 PM
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/indycar/32952/

belle isle on labor day: not too much mud then, eh?
watch alms on saturday, drive home on sunday?

That`s what I`m hoping for St.Pete, and that we don`t have to pay for both days. Somehow I doubt it.

RichK
09-29-06, 03:23 PM
When was Belle Isle "renovated and improved"?

Mass evictions:

http://www.inmagine.com/thumbnails/liquidlibrary/lib008/lib008525.jpg

Joelski
09-29-06, 03:34 PM
Ah the fetid attraction of pond mud on the soul......

There is none.

nrc
09-29-06, 03:44 PM
If you go to see the ALMS cars at an IRL event the gomers win. :tony:

Accipiter
09-29-06, 06:08 PM
Belle Isle? They can have it. :laugh:

Cam
09-29-06, 06:13 PM
If you go to see the ALMS cars at an IRL event the gomers win. :tony:

Every time you attend an IRL race a kitten dies. Please think of the kittens! :)

devilmaster
09-29-06, 06:14 PM
Every time you attend an IRL race a kitten dies. Please think of the kittens! :)

Wouldn't anyone want to come up and see me? :cry:

The funny thing is, Labour day on both sides of the windsor/detroit border is pretty busy with ummm... labour day. Only in Gomerville.

:gomer:

eiregosod
09-29-06, 10:51 PM
what a fair swap, Belle Isle for Michigan International raceway.

Andrew Longman
09-30-06, 06:45 AM
Not sure I get it. If memory serves I thought Penske was at the top of the list in folks hating street racing and Belle Isle in particular. Something about "you can't see the cars".

Add the fact that Detroit population is shrinking and the manufacturers are imploding and this is clearly poised for success.:gomer:

Oh well. Since profits will go towards fixing the park I assume the city is paying for this. At least they are propably paying more than ISC was going to pay for MIS.

So what distinction is TG trying to make between the IRL and CCWS (or former CART)? More prood I think that H and Penske/CG/AGR are running the show and TG has lost all control. Maybe that's a good thing. These guys are dragging the series closer and closer to CART II and even though it is a cheap counterfeit is might be creating the circumstances to rip the whole thing away from TG.

rabbit
09-30-06, 08:38 AM
I always enjoyed Belle Isle, even if it was a bit... rustic.

Sean O'Gorman
09-30-06, 10:37 PM
Honda Grand Prix of Detroit? :rofl:

devilmaster
10-01-06, 12:30 PM

Belle Isle is a great place to stage a race. It's only problem was no-one was putting forth an effort to stage a great race. IMG sucked and they gave up Detroit to die, and almost did the same for Cleveland until CC bought the rights.

The animals from the Zoo are gone, so thats not a problem.

So you put a million or so into upgrades. Pave the paddock, perhaps widen roads like the strand, better security so that teams don't have computers stolen.

If they were really smart, they'll move some of the statues that sit in the middle of intersections and lengthen the racetrack again.

Belle Isle could be another Albert Park. All it'll really take is someone with money to fix it up. Kwame will take care of the complainers.

pchall
10-01-06, 04:05 PM

Belle Isle had all sorts of promise but IMG never worked with the city to do anything that could make the race better and improve the Belle Isle facility as a whole. And CART was pretty dumb as well - I wrote a letter to them suggesting that they buy AM-2 aluminum runway matting to use in the paddock there and at other sites without enough paved area but never even got an acknowledgement. :shakehead

I remember enjoying the Atlantics and Lights races at Belle Isle a lot, probably because both series ran races on one tank of fuel and everybody knew they had to pass for position on the track. Meanwhile, the Champ Car teams screwed around with fuel saving strategies and looked to gain positions in the pits which produced races that were more often than not the lowlight of the weekend.

NismoZ
10-01-06, 06:22 PM
Going to use a cut-through to shorten and slow the track. Figures.

pchall
10-01-06, 08:31 PM
Going to use a cut-through to shorten and slow the track. Figures.

That's the original version of the track that Mikey Andretti complained was "Mickey Mouse" when he couldn't get close enough to the car in P1 to cut a rear tire with a tip fence and make his usual "pass". Of course, now he'll probably get a ¥en to race there again since now that it is on the IRL schedule it is clearly the best street course in North America. ;)