PDA

View Full Version : '07 TV

nrc
09-28-06, 06:44 PM
Smells like another all-SpeedTV deal in the works...

Q. Any anticipation of more network races next year?

STEVE JOHNSON: No, I don't think we'll see more network races but I think you will see a different television strategy. What we're really looking for is consistency and continuity and instead of doing what is it going to be this year not knowing, we need partners that are with us and we can do a three- or a five-year deal so everybody knows when they can watch us and where they can watch us and I think that's one thing that has been missing every year we change and come up with something different. We got to stop doing that.

grungex
09-28-06, 07:10 PM
But did he mean there won't be network races any more (i.e. none at all), or no more (i.e. additional) network races? Stupid English language. :p

Gnam
09-28-06, 07:25 PM
Smells like another all-SpeedTV deal in the works...
Yes. But will they be timed races, or can ChampCar get Speed to run the whole race?

Spicoli
09-28-06, 09:47 PM
Heloo TNT!:p

Kiwifan
09-28-06, 11:33 PM
Did he mention anything about Kiwifans wanting to watch it on TV? ::rolleyes:

Another year without Champ Cars on NZ TV is unthinkable..... :cry:

Rusty.

Robstar
09-29-06, 01:03 AM
Apparently they could be going to Channel 7 over here next year... Does that help Kiwis at all ? As in, do you guys have an affiliate ?

Kiwifan
09-29-06, 07:20 AM
SKY is the Pay provider over here so no affiliate as such however there are other backyard providers that latch on to some Aussie Channels as well as ones from Korea, Africa and the Middle East. :saywhat: Will have to see if Mum will fork out $600 for another set top. ;)

Take care brother.

Rusty.

TravelGal
09-29-06, 12:16 PM
But did he mean there won't be network races any more (i.e. none at all), or no more (i.e. additional) network races? Stupid English language. :p

I thought exactly the same thing but the further sentences seem to indicate that they are looking for ONE channel. Uh oh. Didn't the races on network draw much better (comparitively speaking) than those on channel X?

cameraman
09-29-06, 12:38 PM
A test pattern will draw better on the major networks than a test pattern on cable will. That is always the case. Does spending a ton of extra money to buy time on a network to gain .1 or .2 rating points make sense? I don't think so but I also get Speed.

TravelGal
09-29-06, 01:17 PM
^^^ good points. I suppose there is always the hope that one might snare a few fans by catching someone surfing by on a major channel but, now that I think about it, I agree that spending a ton of money on that hope doesn't make a lot of sense. You have to analyze the cost per new customer in any business. It may not make sense at the moment to throw so much money at network TV where you can alienate the new fans AND the old ones by getting caught in timed races. I'm assuming channel X will show a full race, of course.

Let's think long term, the way the Amigos do. Get the whole shebang on one channel. Create some coherence and continuity. Build the viewership by building the series. Create value in the TV package so you can take it to the networks in a coupla years and says, "Now pay ME for it." IF they feel that last step is warranted.

Insomniac
09-29-06, 02:37 PM
Financially, if anyone is willing to pay ChampCar for their races, it's really good for the series. If it's on a channel a lot of people can't get, that hurts the fans. Hopefully they can get something that works for the series and the fans.

Andrew Longman
09-29-06, 03:59 PM
Johnson's quote is almost word for word what they said before signing on with Spike (same place, same time every race).

I see the merit there in trying to build a loyal audience, but the greater objective is to return value for sponsors and teams. How much teams/sponsors are counting on TV to make that happen, as opposed to on track B2B corporate participation and the like, is a key to knowing what the right investment in TV is.

Also, CC can buy the time on network and elsewhere if they like so long as they can sell the ad time for at least what they pay for it. Ford and Bridgestone seem committed to a certain time buy but it would be nice to have more sponsors participating.

Personally, I am happy wherever they are but the production team and on air talent is what I care about. Beekus, Varsha, Johnstone, Hobbs and a few others in the past were the best.

High Sided
09-29-06, 05:29 PM
champcar, club racing on tv, weeeeee

sorry but dam, american open wheel racing sucks!, FU tony george

robot9000
09-30-06, 12:18 PM
Get it on a major B tier channel (Like Sicoli alluded to TNT. NOT Spike.) And make it a 3 year agreement so you can get some traction. And advertise. Not more, ANY !!

I really think Speed would be the right place to be, but it just doesn't seem to ever have ever gained a foot hold like TNT and other channels have. It always strikes me as one step away from slipping under or becoming 24hr auto shopping channel. Which is too bad. I was hoping for it to mature as a racing channel, but eveytime I tune in its some lame NASCAR pre/post/race or other feature. Not that I have anything against NASCAR, but the shows aren't that good. Pinks is okay, but the rest.....

Spicoli
09-30-06, 02:11 PM
speedtv suckage.

tnt - WWF & CCWS! :gomer:

Insomniac
09-30-06, 05:08 PM
speedtv suckage.

tnt - WWF & CCWS! :gomer:

WWE isn't on TNT. TNT knows drama. :) USA Network however, that might be one to consider.