PDA

View Full Version : A1GP Starts this weekend in Holland!

Fio1
09-28-06, 08:42 AM
A1GP starts this weekend at Zandvoort, the track I think CCWS should consider for 1 of their Euro races.

Here's the big news right before the race: http://www.a1podium.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1159330839&archive=&start_from=&ucat=21&

Basically Verstappen is not racing for Holland after he wanted guarantees that he would be paid so-so amount of money. Since, this weekend's race was sold-out months ago, because for some strange reason Jos is hugely popular in Holland, his management team decided this was the perfect time to negotiate.....

Here's a message I have for ex-F1 backmarker, and now Jos Verstappen manager, Huub Rothengather: Last year, Jos made 1 million dollars. The previous few years, he made nothing, because he wasn't racing. If it weren't for the A1GP, he won't have been racing last season (2006). Now, that he is out of Team Holland's team because of this B.S, he will not be racing in 2007. Therefore, 15% or Zero does not equal to much does it? So way to go! :rofl:

Oh, I change my mind Jos the Boss is someone we DO NOT need in CCWS!

jonovision_man
09-28-06, 09:09 AM
Since, this weekend's race was sold-out months ago, because for some strange reason Jos is hugely popular in Holland, his management team decided this was the perfect time to negotiate.....!

They should have negotiated with A1, they're the ones who now are giving refunds to fans...

Oh, I change my mind Jos the Boss is someone we DO NOT need in CCWS!

Jos is 'da Boss. :) He got his reputation as a charger when Arrows used to put him on really light fuel load and he'd go out and pass half the field before his first pit stop. Wow, look at that guy passing everyone! What a charger! Why, if he hadn't sucked in qualifying and they had put him on a proper fuel load, he could probably beat everyone! ;) :D

I like the guy well enough, though, he is fun to watch out there, would make an entertaining addition to any series.

jono

IlliniRacer
09-28-06, 09:28 AM
They should have negotiated with A1, they're the ones who now are giving refunds to fans...

Jos is 'da Boss. :) He got his reputation as a charger when Arrows used to put him on really light fuel load and he'd go out and pass half the field before his first pit stop. Wow, look at that guy passing everyone! What a charger! Why, if he hadn't sucked in qualifying and they had put him on a proper fuel load, he could probably beat everyone! ;) :D

I like the guy well enough, though, he is fun to watch out there, would make an entertaining addition to any series.

jono

Maybe get him in a ChampCar. I'm surprised no one has ever mentioned that.;)

Easy
09-28-06, 09:44 AM
Isn't that vierd?

http://www.digg.be/images/movie/goldmember.jpg

Fio1
09-28-06, 10:16 AM

jono

He's a lot of fun to watch, but there are a lot of better guys around who are not asking to get paid a million dollars. :shakehead

I'm sure if the season started in Japan or Brazil instead of Holland, Jos an dhis people who would not have tried and hold the series hostage.

jonovision_man
09-28-06, 11:21 AM
He's a lot of fun to watch, but there are a lot of better guys around who are not asking to get paid a million dollars. :shakehead

And we all know being better is the key to landing that big long-term contract! :D

http://www.info690.com/cp/xml/sport/S082745AU.jpg

Entertainment is important. :)

jono

trauma1
09-28-06, 02:16 PM
no US or canadian races this thing will fold during the year already $$ problems:thumdown:

Elmo T
09-28-06, 02:56 PM
US television coverage?

trauma1
09-28-06, 03:04 PM
as of now no us tv

racer2c
09-28-06, 03:06 PM
Twas not long ago, perhaps but a year, that there were those proclaiming A1 as replacing Champ Car and even the lowly IRL as the major open wheel series in the US. Methinks I forgot who they were however.

trauma1
09-28-06, 03:19 PM
they are already have $$ problems this year, not all the drivers line up have been announced no north american tour no US TV

Tifosi24
09-28-06, 04:03 PM
If the Hulman family won't pull the plug on TG, I have a feeling a far more wealthy Dubai Emirate is not going to pull the plug on this project. Who cares if its not on television in North America, its not like this part of the world has an undying love for open wheel racing. I got a ton of enjoyment out of watching the races on the internet, at my leisure, last winter and I will enjoy them all the same this season as well.

Fio1
09-28-06, 04:18 PM
they are already have $$ problems this year, not all the drivers line up have been announced no north american tour no US TV

They had money problems last year, and with only 5,000 people, including myself, who turned up to Laguna Seca last year, I doubt they think the USA was an important stop. The fact that there were zero Mexicans cheering the only Mexican to win an open-wheel race in California was pretty sad in it's self....

A1GP will be fine tapping markets CCWS & F1 aren't.

trauma1
09-28-06, 04:27 PM
they are going to mexico city,

Accipiter
09-28-06, 05:56 PM

Unless something has changed since last year, the individual teams are responsible for selling the TV rights in their home country. The idea being to give them an opportunity to profit from it. But I would guess in this case, it's really just an opportunity for Weideger to spend money on a time buy.

Easy
09-29-06, 10:12 AM
Last year they got their US tv deal after the first couple of races. I don't think they care much about the US market anyway, the concept is to bring international motorsport to regions that traditionally have not had it.

RusH
09-29-06, 12:23 PM
Did the Sheik forget to open his wallet?:shakehead

Easy
09-29-06, 12:45 PM
The Shiek sold his interest.

NismoZ
09-29-06, 12:56 PM
Yeah, it's (suddenly?) up for sale anyway. BYE, Sheik. Hmmmm...enough South African bucks left over? CC to Durban!?:D

NismoZ
09-29-06, 01:04 PM
Hinchcliffe fastest on day 1.(on his 4th lap ever in A1:cool:) Manning 2nd, Bleekemolen 7th:D and Giebler 13th!:shakehead

mueber
09-29-06, 01:13 PM
US television coverage?

According to their website, something will happen with SPEED.

cameraman
09-29-06, 02:54 PM
Yeah, they might mention it on Speed Report:rolleyes:

Elmo T
09-29-06, 03:49 PM
Yeah, they might mention it on Speed Report:rolleyes:

I did give it a try last year.

As soon as I started hearing stuff like "France overtakes Italy into the first turn" and "Belguim and Canada battle for second place" my eyes started to glaze over. :saywhat:

coolhand
09-29-06, 08:55 PM
After admitting to losing $200 million last year, now comes word that the guy who started A1GP, Sheikh Maktoum Hasher Maktoum Al-Maktoum, and invested money in it, has quit. The sheikh is currently the chairman of the company that runs the series but it has now emerged that he is planning to sell his controlling interest in the business and is thus unlikely to remain involved.

"I'd like to thank all investors," he continued. "It is clear that A1, in and of itself, can attract and has attracted money, so I think A1 will continue to do so even without the involvement of myself, my family, or Dubai."

Recall that we told you a year ago that most of the money invested in A1GP is South African money. However, the Sheikh also had a major investment and was the head figure. The very astute Maktoum is no dummy, :gomer: :gomer: if he's bailing on the series he started, it does not bode well for A1GP.

Reflecting on the past four years and the sale of his position, Sheikh Maktoum said, "I am happy that I have built the series with fans in mind. I feel like I have fulfilled my promise to them by bringing A1GP from concept to reality and am confident that the World Cup of Motorsport will go from strength to strength. I would like to thank all those stakeholders, including Tony Teixeira as first investor, who shared in my vision, enthusiasm and commitment. Having devoted all my efforts to making A1GP the success it is today, this transaction will allow me to devote more time to my Dubai International Holding Company which currently manages a substantial portfolio of assets and new ventures and which continues to actively pursue other significant investment opportunities."

Commenting on the departure of Sheikh Maktoum, A1GP Deputy Chairman Tony Teixeira said, "Without the benefit of Sheikh Maktoum's vision and financial support, A1GP would not be as strong as it is today. We send our thanks to Sheikh Maktoum and know that as a keen motorsport enthusiast he will continue to support A1GP. He will always be welcome at any event."

It is anticipated that the all cash transaction will complete within thirty days whereupon Sheikh Maktoum will step down as Chairman and Director of A1GP.

theunions
09-30-06, 12:23 PM
Hinchcliffe fastest on day 1...and Giebler 13th!:shakehead

Phil fastest in final practice is more like it!!! :thumbup:

And a solid 7th in quals, right between Manning and Hinch.

NismoZ
09-30-06, 12:32 PM
Saw, that. Nice surprise. Wonder how big the Dutch crowd will be for Bleekemolen!?:D

Fio1
09-30-06, 12:34 PM
Qualifying results. Still sold out crowd. I think they lost faith inVerstappen. Lammers is a huge star over there, if it was so and so team, then maybe they'd believe Verstappen. But don't mess with Lammers in Holland...

1. South Africa Adrian Zaugg 2:55.531
2. Mexico Salvador Duran 2:55.636 + 0.105
3. France Nicolas Lapierre 2:55.688 + 0.157
4. Germany Niko Hulkenberg 2:55.805 + 0.274
5. Switzerland Sebastien Buemi 2:56.075 + 0.544
6. Great Britain Darren Manning 2:56.080 + 0.549
7. USA Philip Giebler 2:56.288 + 0.757
8. Canada James Hinchcliffe 2:56.307 + 0.776
9. Netherlands Jeroen Bleekemolen 2:56.618 + 1.087
10. New Zealand Matt Halliday 2:56.645 + 1.114
11. Malaysia Alex Yoong 2:56.896 + 1.365
12. Indonesia Ananda Mikola 2:57.188 + 1.657
13. Australia Ryan Briscoe 2:57.309 + 1.778
14. China Congfu Cheng 2:57.447 + 1.916
15. Ireland Michael Devaney 2:58.165 + 2.634
16. Brazil Tuka Rocha 2:58.418 + 2.887
17. Italy PG Alessandro 2:58.467 + 2.936
18. India Armaan Ebrahim 2:58.987 + 3.456
19. Lebanon Basil Shaaban 3:00.008 + 4.477
20. Singapore Christian Murchison 3:00.626 + 5.095
21. Greece Vasilis Papafilippoy 3:01.382 + 5.851
22. Czech Republic Tomas Kostka 3:01.573 + 6.042
23. Pakistan Nur Ali 3:07.812 + 12.281

That Zaugg kid is a flipping star! He's a Red Bull driver; so Scott Speed better up the pace....The big surprise for me is how far Briscoe is and Christian Murchison for Singapore.

USA and Canada 7th & 8th. My pick for the win is still Salvador Duran from Mexico. This is a kid we should have in CCWS instead of the overrated Mario Dominguez.

BTW, Check out the Chinese driver's; I think it's the best name in all of racing! :)

Accipiter
09-30-06, 03:00 PM
What, no Al Jr?

theunions
09-30-06, 04:22 PM
What, no Al Jr?

:rofl:

theunions
10-01-06, 01:54 PM
Let me be the first one here to say AWESOME job Phil. :thumbup:

NismoZ
10-01-06, 06:20 PM
Ditto:thumbup:

Fio1
10-01-06, 06:22 PM
Let me be the first one here to say AWESOME job Phil. :thumbup:

Ya, no kidding! Second place! I hope he does the full season. They finally have a good team running the cars, and should win a race before the year is out.

I'm also glad that Bleekomolen finished a fine 4th and lead for a while. It's nice to hear that not too many fans decided not to show-up because Jos the Boss wasn't there and that they went crazy went Bleekomolen was running upfront. too bad he couldn't end up on the podium, but I understand that he had his own Castroneves like fence climbing celebration with Lammers and the team after the race that rivaled a World Cup victory. :thumbup:

theunions
10-01-06, 08:11 PM
Ya, no kidding! Second place! I hope he does the full season.

Isn't it mandatory that all teams use at least two different drivers during the season?

Dr. Corkski
10-03-06, 12:29 PM
Vasilis PapafilippoyI think I had that once. Itched like hell until I took some anti-biotics.

NismoZ
10-03-06, 05:00 PM
A 4th place fence climber? What's the winner to do...shoot himself into the crowd from a circus cannon!?

RichK
10-03-06, 05:11 PM
A 4th place fence climber? What's the winner to do...shoot himself into the crowd from a circus cannon!?

Haven't you heard? 4th place is all the rage nowadays. ;)