PDA

View Full Version : '07 Schedule

Trevor Longman
09-27-06, 09:31 PM
http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=10945

No european rounds, Phoenix in December.:shakehead

At least they're still trying to add races in September.

Spicoli
09-27-06, 11:11 PM
:bush:

:p

devilmaster
09-27-06, 11:16 PM
I assume the euro dates are still possible, just not confirmed as of yet, right?

Robstar
09-28-06, 12:09 AM
China... :cool: :p

CART_Surfer
09-28-06, 05:02 AM
From Rick Benjamin's latest column on AR1.....

There’s obviously a gap in the slate in September. That’s where the much-discussed European rounds were supposed to end up.

and more importantly....

Word late in the Road America weekend was that financial arrangements with the local promoter hadn’t been completed. At this point there’s no firm word on whether that will happen, so the schedule may be complete at 15 events next year.

I hope that gets sorted out real quick as I was considering attending RA in 07!!!!

Insomniac
09-28-06, 07:54 AM
I hope that gets sorted out real quick as I was considering attending RA in 07!!!!

I think it will work out. Especially since it will be a double header deal.

Spicoli
09-28-06, 08:35 AM
I think it will work out. Especially since it will be a double header deal.

I heard in the paddock late Sat, it's not a double.

But I'm sure that will change daily for the next couple months. :irked:

jonovision_man
09-28-06, 09:04 AM
Hey, San Jose is in Canada Month!
http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11554

Now let's be clear... Canada is only willing to accept San Jose into our country if you throw in San Fransisco as part of the deal. Hey, they're lefties out there, they'll fit right in! :D

jono

KLang
09-28-06, 09:35 AM
2007 Champ Car World Series Schedule

Date Venue
April 8 Las Vegas, Nevada - Street Course
April 15 Long Beach, California - Street Course
April 22 Houston, Texas - Reliant Park
May 20 Zhuhai, China - Road Course
June 10 Portland, Oregon - Portland International Raceway
June 24 Cleveland, Ohio - Burke Lakefront Airport
July 1 St. Jovite, Canada - Circuit Mont Tremblant
July 8 Toronto, Canada - Exhibition Place
July 22 Edmonton, Canada - City Centre Airport
July 29 San Jose, California - Street Course
Aug. 12 Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin - Road America
Aug. 19 Denver, Colorado - Pepsi Center
Oct. 21 Surfers Paradise, Australia - Street Course
Nov. 11 Mexico City, Mexico - Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez
Dec. 2 Phoenix, Arizona - Street Course

The beginning of the schedule looks better then it has in years. :thumbup:
The end of the schedule sure needs some work. :irked:

Tifosi24
09-28-06, 10:48 AM
The beginning of the schedule looks better then it has in years. :thumbup:
The end of the schedule sure needs some work. :irked:

I agree, the first 12 races might be one of the best beginning schedules they have had in years, while the last three look like the worst schedule ever. I wish there was some way to move those three races to the beginning of the schedule.

extramundane
09-28-06, 10:57 AM
I heard in the paddock late Sat, it's not a double.

But I'm sure that will change daily for the next couple months. :irked:

The ALMS schedule should be announced tomorrow afternoon, so oughta know then.

KLang
09-28-06, 11:13 AM
I agree, the first 12 races might be one of the best beginning schedules they have had in years, while the last three look like the worst schedule ever. I wish there was some way to move those three races to the beginning of the schedule.

Agreed. Ideally I'd like to see Champ Car run March through about Labor Day. Weather wise, Phoenix and Mexico City should be good in March. No idea about Australia though.

Edit: And we really need another date in May. (no not FTG's place)

Spicoli
09-28-06, 11:17 AM
The ALMS schedule should be announced tomorrow afternoon, so oughta know then.

cool. you know, the more I think about it, the more I love RA, but the management sucks (I know we should ALL know that). It's like IMS - GREAT facility, just 100% jackf**ks who run it. combining ALMS with CCWS just doesn't seem to make sense. Last weekend was awesome - I think there was a great buzz building - the cars looked great, crowd was building - and (unfortunately) CL caught alot of (thankfully GOOD) press. as fans, we feel a certain "ownership" of the series and certain events. There is No fookin reason this revent can;t be as big as LBGP. Different - but just as important.

Bruggenfart needs his hand held, and CCWS should put alot of effort into building what was, IMHO, the best race of the season. :thumbup:

If there truly were say 30k on raceday (going off of 61k for the weekend) that's gotta be somewhere near a 5mill gate & a poopload of concessions money generated. If that can't make economic sense, thenI'm not sure what you do.

Castleman says he was pretty happy with the crowds, and said he's getting more "resources" for marketing. I sure hope it keeps moving forward.

Let ALMS have their own weekend up there (and please add FBMW nest year too).

{/bloggie]

racer2c
09-28-06, 11:24 AM
cool. you know, the more I think about it, the more I love RA, but the management sucks (I know we should ALL know that). It's like IMS - GREAT facility, just 100% jackf**ks who run it. combining ALMS with CCWS just doesn't seem to make sense. Last weekend was awesome - I think there was a great buzz building - the cars looked great, crowd was building - and (unfortunately) CL caught alot of (thankfully GOOD) press. as fans, we feel a certain "ownership" of the series and certain events. There is No fookin reason this revent can;t be as big as LBGP. Different - but just as important.

Bruggenfart needs his hand held, and CCWS should put alot of effort into building what was, IMHO, the best race of the season. :thumbup:

If there truly were say 30k on raceday (going off of 61k for the weekend) that's gotta be somewhere near a 5mill gate & a poopload of concessions money generated. If that can't make economic sense, thenI'm not sure what you do.

Castleman says he was pretty happy with the crowds, and said he's getting more "resources" for marketing. I sure hope it keeps moving forward.

Let ALMS have their own weekend up there (and please add FBMW nest year too).

{/bloggie]

That's KL. :)

Spicoli
09-28-06, 11:25 AM
That's KL. :)

http://www.freewebby.com/happy-smilies/bonk.gif

Oopsie.

dando
09-28-06, 11:27 AM
Weather wise, Phoenix and Mexico City should be good in March. No idea about Australia though.

Oz is fine in March, but F1 races down under in the spring. :\

-Kevin

racer2c
09-28-06, 11:32 AM
http://www.freewebby.com/happy-smilies/bonk.gif

Oopsie.

CCWS needs to be at RA. I agree that ALMS should have their own weekend.

KLang
09-28-06, 11:48 AM
Oz is fine in March, but F1 races down under in the spring. :\

-Kevin

Explains why it is the fall then.

extramundane
09-28-06, 11:51 AM
CCWS needs to be at RA. I agree that ALMS should have their own weekend.

Well duh. Otherwise it's just that bloodsucking leech Gerry Forsythe trying to screw the ALMS again! Mexicocitymiami2002WAAAAAAAAA!!!!11!1!1!

</almsgomer>

Stu
09-28-06, 01:10 PM
I see no reason why my bachelor party should not be in Vegas during the CCWS race. :thumbup:

NismoZ
09-28-06, 03:18 PM
Think I just read where the IPS is offereing the FF-Zetec, BMW and Mazda Champs a test for next season. Sounds like a raid to me. Jay Howard belonged in Atlantics and so do those guys. Take care, CC!

The Doctor
09-28-06, 04:47 PM
Think I just read where the IPS is offereing the FF-Zetec, BMW and Mazda Champs a test for next season. Sounds like a raid to me. Jay Howard belonged in Atlantics and so do those guys. Take care, CC!

that's some exciting insight on the schedule...

hopefully europe comes off. if not, hopefully they move RA back to September and then we won't be subjected to months of bitching by the internet ALMS fans convinced CC is out to screw them in every way possible.

NismoZ
09-28-06, 05:07 PM
Merely referring to the "add BMW" request (scheduling issue, I believe) for next season. I think CC should do everything to promote and advance all the best openwheelers toward the top of THEIR ladder and not let the best slip away to The League, GA, IPS, CRAPCAR or whatever. OK?

nrc
09-28-06, 06:18 PM
Press conference about the schedule:
http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=10946

On the topic of screwing errr doubleheaders with ALMS...

Q. I don't know if I have missed something or whether it just simply hasn't been finalized yet, but again, the rumor or the speculation was that there would be some doubleheaders with the ALMS in 2007. The places I heard were Long Beach, Houston and the Elkart Lake date. Wondered if you -- anybody can make a comment about that?

STEVE JOHNSON: David, I think to be fair to the American Le Mans Series who is announcing their schedule tomorrow, I believe. Will the ALMS be with us on several dates? The answer is yes. Without letting the cat out of the bag, you were pretty good on probably where you think they might be. But I will let them announce their schedule, but you know, we enjoy running with the American Le Mans Series. We think it's a good compliment, and we'll just see how that pans out.

grungex
09-28-06, 06:31 PM
hopefully they move RA back to September and then we won't be subjected to months of bitching by the internet ALMS fans convinced CC is out to screw them in every way possible.
Who cares if they want to bitch? August has had a CART date for years.

NismoZ
09-29-06, 12:50 PM
Then The League must be out to screw them too as rumor says they will share a Belle Isle race next season. Whores.;)

nrc
09-29-06, 01:39 PM
For all the huffing and puffing from ALMS fans they seem to be playing support series at an awful lot of races next year. :\

Spicoli
09-29-06, 01:51 PM
including St Pete.

:irlsucks:

KLang
09-29-06, 02:45 PM
It seems Mr. Panoz has decided to sit on the fence. Two weekends with Champ Car and two with the earl. :thumdown:

Edit: Oops, make that three with Champ Car. Houston, RA and Long Beach.

Edit2: Boy is bkeske going to be pissed! :cry: :rofl:

tifosi77
09-29-06, 05:05 PM
The humongous gap in the schedule will be filled by the European Vacation. Just after several years of announcing races *cough*Ansan*cough* only to have to cancel them at the 11th hour, Champ Car took the more practical route of leaving their spots vacant. This will allow them to make an announcement that they are adding races, not subtracting. I'm completely confident that Europe will happen in 2007.

Unfortunately that still leaves those one-a-month races to close the season out. That's just plain bad. And I thought there was talk about swapping the Phoenix and Las Vegas races in 2008? It certainly makes sense to do so, and if they do, there will only be a couple months between events in Phoenix.

extramundane
09-29-06, 06:05 PM
It seems Mr. Panoz has decided to sit on the fence. Two weekends with Champ Car and two with the earl. :thumdown:

Edit: Oops, make that three with Champ Car. Houston, RA and Long Beach.

Edit2: Boy is bkeske going to be pissed! :cry: :rofl:

ALMS Forum meltdown = epic. :rofl:

Anteater
09-30-06, 01:32 PM
I'm so pleased that the schedule has been released; makes it easier to plan things.

Initially I was happy that Portland has been moved forward a week; my sister throws a hissy every year because we blow off her birthday and Father's Day in favor of going to the race. Then I realized 2 things:

1. The race is the same weekend as the Rose Festival, which apparently compels Portland hotels to jack up their prices. The place I've stayed at for 3 years is charging 40% more than last year! :eek:

2. There is a conflict with a dance festival that weekend; I've only missed performing in it twice in 20 years (once was for Laguna Seca and once was for a death in the family). It's a big deal!

And while I'm excited about seeing ALMS with CCWS at Road America, I think that means it's going to be even harder to find hotel rooms that weekend.

Don't even get me started on having Vegas during Easter.

Thanks for letting me vent.

racer2c
09-30-06, 02:56 PM
Q: Steve, I am sure you have heard a comment from our sheriff out here in Phoenix, Joe Arpaio. He said this morning on the radio that if the cars make too much noise going by his call center he is going to call out his tanks and stop the race. I am wondering how you react to a comment like that?

STEVE JOHNSON: Well, I don’t know Sheriff Joe personally but I know Sheriff Joe is quite a character and had many meetings with our people. We have an expert in sound study that has put together a plan that guarantees us that there will be no noise issues at the 911 Center, so we’re not concerned about that. At the City Council meeting this week when we got the vote to move forward in Phoenix, they went through the entire plan on what they were going to do and even showed diagrams of how they would keep the noise out of the call center. So we’re not concerned with that. We think Sheriff Joe is going to end up being a huge supporter of the event. Maybe we could have him throw the green flag or use his tank to pace the race or something.

Oh man, I can just picture a scene with the police shutting down the race like a teenage kegger. Not a pretty picture.:irked:

Link (http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/32935/?page=3)

Insomniac
09-30-06, 05:06 PM
Oh man, I can just picture a scene with the police shutting down the race like a teenage kegger. Not a pretty picture.:irked:

I'm sure they'll know if it's too loud on the first day of practice. Worst case, I hope, is they have to make last minute changes after P1 to alleviate the noise. Responding to 911 calls are a lot more important than a race.

oddlycalm
09-30-06, 06:39 PM
Initially I was happy that Portland has been moved forward a week... Trying to tie it in closer to the Rose Festival is definitely a two edged sword. While the Rose Festival occurs over the course of more than one week, that's the peak weekend when the fleet comes up river for the sailors to spawn, the Grand Floral Parade happens, etc. My concerns are event saturation, weather, and what you cited; hotel room cost and availability. I think it very well may hurt race attendance rather than help it.

My preference was to push it back to a date around Labor Day when the weather is reliably dry and warm (but well past the peak summer heat) and there's not anything else going on. The Japanese current swings in close to shore in late August through September and brings with it dry warm weather and lots of Albacore tuna which is a subject for a different forum...

ALMS has once again cancelled their race here due to attendance of 15,000 this year. I'm not sure what they expect when they insist on having it on what is often the hottest weekend of the year. This year it was 103 degrees on Friday and nearly that on Saturday and Sunday. I'm surprised they got 15,000 Oregonians out in that weather as most live here because they prefer cool weather.

oc

cameraman
09-30-06, 11:52 PM
ALMS has once again canceled their race here due to attendance of 15,000 this year. I'm not sure what they expect when they insist on having it on what is often the hottest weekend of the year. This year it was 103 degrees on Friday and nearly that on Saturday and Sunday.

The SLC race beat you by a degree with a 104 at race time. That is why the ALMS moved the race to May 19th next year.

pchall
10-01-06, 07:32 AM
Unfortunately that still leaves those one-a-month races to close the season out. That's just plain bad.

They should really add a couple of dates in October and November at existing venues.

Anteater
10-01-06, 10:08 PM
While the Rose Festival occurs over the course of more than one week, that's the peak weekend when the fleet comes up river for the sailors to spawn
oc, you crack me up! :rofl:

Grunschev
10-02-06, 02:03 PM

Here's a link to another article in the Arizona Republic. (http://www.azcentral.com/sports/columns/articles/0928autocol0929.html) I cracked up when I read this. Joe is a wonder.

Igor

oddlycalm
10-02-06, 03:24 PM
oc, you crack me up! :rofl: Thanks, but it's actually quite true. Several thousand young sailors with up to date HIV tests and a regular paycheck is a pretty big draw no matter where they go, but here it's an established annual migration that goes back 100 years. Every hooker on the West Coast shows up for the fleet, along with a legion of enthusiastic amateurs. There are a raft of receptions and parties competing for the officers attention, all well stocked with upscale talent, and on the other end of the scale pairs of girls stalk their prey at the carnival and downtown area. The strip clubs boom all weekend. Until the recent security concerns caused a setback zone there used to be hundreds of boats on the rivers with women flashing their stuff as the ships came up the river. Now those waiving breasts are viewed as the security threat they really are...:gomer:

Most people don't even notice all the above because of the Grand Floral Parade (bigger than the one in Pasadena) and dozens of other events. But hey, I'm sure the Champ Car race will get plenty of attention...

oc

oddlycalm
10-02-06, 03:39 PM
The SLC race beat you by a degree with a 104 at race time. That is why the ALMS moved the race to May 19th next year. Nice to hear that someone actually turned their brain on and addressed the obvious for the race at SLC.

Here they've stubbornly tried to hold onto the last weekend of July every year they've been here. It was cancelled once before, then returned with the same results. Nobody seems to get that an endurance race, even a short one, isn't what people are going to want to do on 100 degree weather when there are couple big rivers 10 minutes away, cool streams everywhere you look, whitewather rafting, the ocean 1.5hrs to the West and the foot of Palmer Glacier on Mt. Hood 1.5hrs to the East. The fact that they can get 15,000 diehards on a scorching day when there are so many alternatives available should be taken as good news, not failure. Hold it on an 80 degree day and who knows, they might make a few bucks...:gomer:

oc

Trevor Longman
10-02-06, 05:07 PM
Now those waiving breasts are viewed as the security threat they really are...:gomer: oc

As Anteater said...:rofl: