http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/32857/?page=2

2007 Champ Car Schedule:

APRIL 8 -- Las Vegas (street)
APRIL 15 -- Long Beach (street)
APRIL 22 -- Houston (street).
MAY 20 -- Zhuhai, China (road course)
JUNE 10 -- Portland (road course)
JUNE 24 -- Cleveland (airport)
JULY 1 -- St. Jovite, Canada (road course)
JULY 8 -- Toronto (street course)
JULY 22 -- Edmonton (airport)
JULY 29 -- San Jose (street)
AUG. 12 -- Elkhart Lake (road course)
AUG. 26 -- Denver (street)
SEPT. 23 -- (TBC) Assen, Holland (road course)
SEPT. 30 -- (TBC) Oschersleben, Germany (road course)
OCT. 21 -- Surfer's Paradise, Australia (street)
NOV. 11 -- Mexico City (road course)
NOV. 18 -- Phoenix (street)

China? Really?

jono

devilmaster
09-25-06, 03:21 PM
So 15 races for sure, 17 if they can get the euro swing to work - which they better do - Aug 26 to Oct 21 break? Ugh.

Spicoli
09-25-06, 03:21 PM
yeah, china, really. ;)

nobody ever believes me. :D

koolracer
09-25-06, 03:30 PM
Are they really thinking of running Toronto July 8? :confused:

The FIFA U-20 World Cup (http://www.fifa.com/documents/tournaments/u20/Schedule_U20_Canada_2007.pdf) is playing 2 games in Toronto on that day. Anyone who was in Toronto this year had to see that the new soccer stadium is being built at Exhibition Place, inside the track. This year alone, it caused big issues with transportation around the track for workers! I can't imaging this problems with 2 events going at the same time! :eek:

jonovision_man
09-25-06, 03:34 PM

The FIFA U-20 World Cup (http://www.fifa.com/documents/tournaments/u20/Schedule_U20_Canada_2007.pdf) is playing 2 games in Toronto on that day. Anyone who was in Toronto this year had to see that the new soccer stadium is being built at Exhibition Place, inside the track. This year alone, it caused big issues with transportation around the track for workers! I can't imaging this problems with 2 events going at the same time! :eek:

Hurumph... :saywhat: How on earth are they going to pull that off? How would people get to the new stadium??? They'd almost have to give them race admission! Can't get to Exhibition GO station / streetcar except through the paid admission area in the current setup. Weird.

jono

jonovision_man
09-25-06, 03:37 PM

Hurumph... :saywhat: How on earth are they going to pull that off? How would people get to the new stadium??? They'd almost have to give them race admission! Can't get to Exhibition GO station / streetcar except through the paid admission area in the current setup. Weird. And the entire stadium parking lot would be wiped out for the race.

jono

cameraman
09-25-06, 03:39 PM
Hurumph... :saywhat: How on earth are they going to pull that off? How would people get to the new stadium??? They'd almost have to give them race admission! Can't get to Exhibition GO station / streetcar except through the paid admission area in the current setup. Weird.

jono

Just think what it will do to the announced crowd number...

:rolleyes:

Andrew Longman
09-25-06, 03:44 PM
That TO deal sounds like a problem. And the RA date is the same as Watkins Glen which, though I am not much of a Cup fan, I go to every year because it a family thing the kids and wife look forward to.

Looks good overall though. Takes them out of the country once football season starts and I like that they got a road course in Quebec in there and not on my wife's birthday. Now I might actually get to it.

jonovision_man
09-25-06, 03:50 PM
So we lose:

- Monterrey (road)
- Montreal (road)
- Milwaukee (oval)

And gain:

- Zhuhai, China (road)
- Mont Tremblant (road)
- Las Vegas (street)
- Phoenix (street)

And possibly:
- Assen (road)
- Oschersleben (road)

If that all comes together I'm a happy fan... :thumbup:

I'm not 100% sure about Tremblant, it's a little windy, but if they can make it work it's one of the most scenic tracks on the planet. I already see Montreal in F1, this would be something fresh and interesting.

Zhuhai is supposed to be quite cool, and Assen and Oschersleben look great from the pictures I've seen of them.

The two street races... well, not as keen, hope the layouts work better than San Jose. If it's like the ones that work (ie. Denver, Toronto) then it's a big happy schedule I'll be glued to.

jono

FCYTravis
09-25-06, 06:02 PM
I really, really don't see Mont-Tremblant happening unless Kevin and Gerry are dumping a pile of money into the facilities. I've talked to Grand-Am people who raced there, and the track is a pit. Mud paddocks, no seating, no parking, it's in the freaking middle of nowhere even more so than Road America...

Gnam
09-25-06, 06:20 PM
Sounds like that was after they fixed it up too.

The Mont-Tremblant circuit got an extensive facelift for its 40th anniversary two years ago, which included widening and reprofiling the track in a number of areas, upgrading the pit lane and paddock and modernizing its support infrastructure.
Globe & Mail article (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20060925.CHAMP25/TPStory/Sports)

Tony George
09-25-06, 06:38 PM
What about Ansan??? :gomer:

Al Czervik
09-25-06, 07:29 PM
What about Ansan??? :gomer:

Potsy has left the building

TorontoWorker
09-25-06, 07:31 PM

This year alone, it caused big issues with transportation around the track for workers!

No_it_didn't...

tllips
09-25-06, 07:32 PM
Here's hoping that Milwaukee is only temporarily off the schedule. I really think they need the diversity of all types of tracks to remain unique. Plus, we kind of had a ritual of going to dinner at the Five O'Clock Club the night before the race and then going to the race. I'll really miss the excuse to get to the 5 O'Clock Club.

Glad to see Road America is on the schedule. Last I heard was that it wouldn't be on the initial schedule release. (Of course that had to be on one of the forums).

oddlycalm
09-25-06, 09:38 PM
I really, really don't see Mont-Tremblant happening unless Kevin and Gerry are dumping a pile of money into the facilities. I've talked to Grand-Am people who raced there, and the track is a pit. Mud paddocks, no seating, no parking, it's in the freaking middle of nowhere even more so than Road America... I gotta agree. Unless things are radically different than when I was last there (and I've been told they are not) this is a pipedream.

oc

nrc
09-25-06, 11:31 PM
I gotta agree. Unless things are radically different than when I was last there (and I've been told they are not) this is a pipedream.

oc
Nobody seems to be in a hurry to squash the dream. They want three races in Canada with one in Quebec. Maybe it's just a card to play if nobody will front a street race.

The Mont-Tremblant circuit got an extensive facelift for its 40th anniversary two years ago, which included widening and reprofiling the track in a number of areas, upgrading the pit lane and paddock and modernizing its support infrastructure.

"I personally haven't raced on the track, but people like [former Champ Car driver and PKV Racing team co-owner] Jimmy Vasser have, and we would be pretty comfortable with it," Kalkhoven said.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20060925.CHAMP25/TPStory/TPSports/OtherSports/

To keep things safe they'll probably have to use the chicanes. On an already tight course it's hard to say if there will be any room for racing. As for the facilities, maybe Gerry wants to build another resort. :)

Maps and video of the circuit here: http://www.lecircuit.com/en/events.htm

Insomniac
09-25-06, 11:56 PM
Pretty good schedule, although I've been saddened by the loss of ovals over the years, and now none.

FCYTravis
09-26-06, 05:13 AM
If they want a race in Quebec I don't see why they don't go run Trois Rivieres. Sure, it's slow and narrow, but hardly any more so than, say, San Jose.

jonovision_man
09-26-06, 08:03 AM
If they want a race in Quebec I don't see why they don't go run Trois Rivieres. Sure, it's slow and narrow, but hardly any more so than, say, San Jose.

I'll say one thing about Trois Rivieres... the fans there certainly deserve a race!

jono

extramundane
09-26-06, 10:51 AM

Isn't it obvious? Beach volleyball is DEAD in Quebec.

Jayblues
09-26-06, 12:10 PM
I really, really don't see Mont-Tremblant happening unless Kevin and Gerry are dumping a pile of money into the facilities. I've talked to Grand-Am people who raced there, and the track is a pit. Mud paddocks, no seating, no parking, it's in the freaking middle of nowhere even more so than Road America...

your kidding!

One hour from Montreal basically via intersate (canadian interstate anyway) and Mont Tremblant resort in a mile away. there is thousands of rooms there, an awesome village with heaps of bars, a lake, three golf courses and tones of resturants.

this will be a smaller event for sure but probably one of the best ever, certainly one of the most spectacular locations. i would book asap as the resort is very busy in the summer.

Chief
09-26-06, 12:17 PM
That TO deal sounds like a problem.

The TO track virtually shuts down at 6PM (or earlier thanks god now that CASCAR is gone). Open the soccer gates at 7PM have a game at 9PM under the lights. CCWS fans wouldn't even know the difference.....

devilmaster
09-26-06, 12:24 PM
:eek:

I'm kinda shocked at the comments I'm reading....

CC loses an F1 track, and instead of making some cheap ass street circuit somewhere in La Belle Province, they go to a former F1 and Indycar permanent road course near a resort city.

Isn't that what most of the CC fans want? Isn't that what most post about on forums? Real racetracks instead of crappy street circuits?

If there are upgrades needed, then get them done. Need to pave a paddock? Get it done.

Sounds like a great plan to me. :thumbup:

nrc
09-26-06, 01:25 PM
This story says the schedule announcement is tomorrow in Vegas.

http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/story.html?id=a5c1a6a0-c35f-496e-b3cd-9f8ffa8171f3&k=76583

G.
09-26-06, 01:31 PM
the schedule announcement is tomorrow in Vegas.

That's what they said at the CCIC get together, according to the Anteaters.

[Hi!]

NismoZ
09-26-06, 02:51 PM
Geez...Arizona Republic is saying a CC/ISC compromise has the '07 street race date as DECEMBER 2nd! (& Nov. 23rd in '08.) And if the champ is already known by then? Seems WAAY late to me.

nrc
09-26-06, 02:56 PM
Geez...Arizona Republic is saying a CC/ISC compromise has the '07 street race date as DECEMBER 2nd! (& Nov. 23rd in '08.) And if the champ is already known by then? Seems WAAY late to me.

Almost as silly as the when the IRL started their season in January. Seriously, come fall it gets progressively harder to get enthusiastic about racing. :\

dando
09-26-06, 03:33 PM
Almost as silly as the when the IRL started their season in January. Seriously, come fall it gets progressively harder to get enthusiastic about racing. :\

The Audio Rountable mentioned one race per month from Sept to Dec. :\

-Kevin

Insomniac
09-26-06, 03:34 PM

Champ Car needs to be a lot more exciting to take my attention away from football now. The one smart thing the IRL did was end their season in early September. Be nice to end ChampCar before football starts and get rid of the big gaps in the schedule. Football is a weekend only sport just like racing and OW doesn't have the power to take it on. Not to mention it's even harder to get a network deal with CBS or FOX. ABC has the IRL. Leaves you NBC. Maybe they should consider the CW? They could expand their Sunday programming a little.

skaven
09-26-06, 03:37 PM
:eek:

I'm kinda shocked at the comments I'm reading....

CC loses an F1 track, and instead of making some cheap ass street circuit somewhere in La Belle Province, they go to a former F1 and Indycar permanent road course near a resort city.

Isn't that what most of the CC fans want? Isn't that what most post about on forums? Real racetracks instead of crappy street circuits?

If there are upgrades needed, then get them done. Need to pave a paddock? Get it done.

Sounds like a great plan to me. :thumbup:

Preach it brother. :thumbup:

I've got a slew of in-laws on the Vermont/ Canadastani border... might have to visit them.

As our pal Sarah Silverman says, "When god gives you AIDS, make lemonade."

:rofl:

cameraman
09-26-06, 07:58 PM
The Arizona Republic article is here
link (http://www.azcentral.com/community/phoenix/articles/0926champrace0926.html)

Spicoli
09-26-06, 08:08 PM
Preach it brother. :thumbup:

I've got a slew of in-laws on the Vermont/ Canadastani border... might have to visit them.

As our pal Sarah Silverman says, "When god gives you AIDS, make lemonade."

so. Is it snowing yet Andy? :D :cool:

I'm ready.

nrc
09-27-06, 12:33 AM
The Arizona Republic article is here
link (http://www.azcentral.com/community/phoenix/articles/0926champrace0926.html)

Hmm. I guess since the race will be during Christmas shopping season major mall sponsorships might make a lot more sense. :gomer:

stroker
09-27-06, 09:10 AM
Hmm. I guess since the race will be during Christmas shopping season major mall sponsorships might make a lot more sense. :gomer:

Wait--I got it! We'll run the race IN the Mall, like the scene from the Blues Brothers!

("Man, these malls have everything!")

grungex
09-27-06, 04:12 PM
This story says the schedule announcement is tomorrow in Vegas.

Press conference tonight at 9:00pm EDT.

Methanolandbrats
09-27-06, 05:27 PM
From the article "PIR President Bryan Sperber had voiced concerns about losing attendance since NASCAR and Champ Car target the same demographics". :saywhat:

oddlycalm
09-27-06, 06:46 PM
:I'm kinda shocked at the comments I'm reading....

Isn't that what most of the CC fans want? My only reservations are only over condition of facility.

I'd love nothing better than to see CCWS add a natural terrain road course with lots of elevations in such a stunningly beautiful setting. Mont Tremblant makes a very attractive destination trip.

The other reason is more nostalgic. I raced bikes there back in the day after the AMA went to the 750cc formula dominated by Japanese iron. Canada hung with the FIM 500cc GP formula so St. Jovite was one of the few places where I could still run my Goldstar Clubman in competition.

oc

Edit - Anyone that wants to see what Circuit Mont Tremblant looks like from the drivers seat can see it on this video from a BMW club event. Slow car, but not bad video.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4269158862915363609&q=circuit+mont+tremblant