PDA

View Full Version : OMG IS KATHERINE OK?

Audi_A4
09-24-06, 04:02 PM
What a sickening crash. I hope she will be ok.

solpadeine
09-24-06, 04:03 PM
What a sickening crash. I hope she will be ok.

Looks really, really bad. I pray she's OK.

B3RACER1a
09-24-06, 04:05 PM
Prayers with Katherine.

B3RACER1a
09-24-06, 04:08 PM
Looks like one of the rear wing elements came off at the entrance to the kink. No way she could have helped that.

Elmo T
09-24-06, 04:09 PM
I fear the worst on this one - but we hope for the best. :(

TKGAngel
09-24-06, 04:10 PM
Race Director says she is injured but not life threatening.

jonovision_man
09-24-06, 04:14 PM
Race Director says she is injured but not life threatening.

Whew... I hope you're right. That looked terrible, reminded me of Greg or Kenny Brack...

jono

B3RACER1a
09-24-06, 04:14 PM
SHe smiled and gave the thumbs up in the ambulance!:thumbup:

B3RACER1a
09-24-06, 04:16 PM
And a big kudo to the safety team.....they were right on it!

dando
09-24-06, 04:16 PM
Wow. One of the worst wrecks I've seen. :eek:

Great news that she's 'OK'. :thumbup:

-Kevin

Audi_A4
09-24-06, 04:18 PM
Wow Thumbs up after that nasty wreck!!! I sure hope that next years DP01 is as safe if not safer!

pchall
09-24-06, 04:19 PM
Good to hear positive reports.

That one's going to be all over the TV tonight.

extramundane
09-24-06, 04:21 PM
Sweet jesus. I had been in the kitchen prepping dinner for a bit. I'm glad I didn't see all that 'til replays.

Nice to see her on her feet. :thumbup:

dando
09-24-06, 04:21 PM
Are you kidding me?!? She walks out of the medical unit?!? :cool:

-Kevin

B3RACER1a
09-24-06, 04:22 PM
Just had her on Speed walking out of the care center and walking and waving...smiling the whole way. :)

Audi_A4
09-24-06, 04:23 PM
I saw that holy smokes great news!!!

Elmo T
09-24-06, 04:25 PM
:thumbup: Lola
:thumbup: Katherine
:thumbup: Safety Team

- nothing more to be said here.

rabbit
09-24-06, 04:36 PM
WOW! Just saw the replay. Reminded me of Greg Moore or Kenny Brack. :( Amazing. :eek:

formulaben
09-24-06, 04:42 PM
WOW, that was ugly. I had feared the worst for that one...Thank God.

KobySon
09-24-06, 04:42 PM
Wow! Champcar is unbelieveable! That crash was terrible and she is up and walking. I love champcar!

cart7
09-24-06, 04:45 PM
Those old Lola's were one tough car. Kudo's to everyone. :thumbup: :)

Insomniac
09-24-06, 05:10 PM
I was skipping through it kind of fast between NFL games and saw that. My heart just sunk. Then Steve said she smiled and gave a thumbs up, she then walks out and waves and they interview her. Wow. I'm very happy.

Fio1
09-24-06, 05:18 PM
Man, that was one heck of a shunt. It is absolutely amazing that she was walking around minutes later with nothing more then bruises. :thumbup:

Lizzerd
09-24-06, 06:29 PM

I nominate for post of the week.

TedN
09-24-06, 07:50 PM
Kind of appropriate that Dr. Steve Olvey is the guest on Wind Tunnel tonight.

Ted

Accipiter
09-24-06, 07:58 PM
I love how she said she'd get in a car and finish the race if she could. Tough broad!

Al Czervik
09-24-06, 08:06 PM
Just got done watching on tape. OMFG! I thought that was it. Smiling & waving from the care center? Best sight I've seen in a long time.

formulaben
09-24-06, 08:16 PM
My heart just sunk.

Exactly. What a sick feeling. Like others, I immediatly thought of other crashes...all of them with very bad results. What a happy ending! :)

Jervis Tetch 1
09-24-06, 08:16 PM

:thumbup:

pfc_m_drake
09-24-06, 08:22 PM
I just saw it myself (I DVR'd it - wasn't able to watch live). I immediately came here - and I'm very thankful to hear about the good outcome. What a relief...that was very frightening.

nrc
09-24-06, 11:08 PM
Wow. :eek: Just watched it on the DVR (missed the final shoot out on time). That's a major tribute to the strength of these cars. Hats off to the safety crew and to Katherine who was running very well until the incident. :thumbup:

Hard Driver
09-25-06, 12:01 AM
Wow.
:thumbup: That was incredible that she walked away from that.

RaceCat
09-25-06, 12:47 AM
I didn't see the race, still haven't, but will watch my tape tonight. I did, however, see the replay of that crash. If I had seen it without knowing that Katherine is ok, I would have been a mess. Thank God for those Lola's for the saftey team and for all of the safety measure that ChampCar has in place. Katherine is one of my favorites and because my own personal volunteer cause is breast cancer awareness and research, I was so pleased to see her car this weekend. All I can say again is thank God and thanks to ChampCar.

RaceCat

RaceGrrl
09-25-06, 09:27 AM
What a scary crash, and what a tough woman she is. Since she's ok, I agree with the idea that she should autograph the broken bodywork for the charity auction.

TrueBrit
09-25-06, 09:28 AM
I missed the whole bloody race....does anyone have a link to footage....Glad she's okay...We make 'em tough in England!!!

Wheel-Nut
09-25-06, 09:40 AM
I watched on my DVR last night. Glad she is o.k. :thumbup:

KLang
09-25-06, 09:45 AM
I thought the worst when it happened. Especially when at first they weren't showing replays. Just amazing that she was not hurt.

Great job by the safety team. Looked like they arrived before the parts had all landed. :thumbup:

KLang
09-25-06, 10:00 AM
Not Legge's first flight either. Found this over at gomerville :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgx0PrnL34U

G.
09-25-06, 10:10 AM
Will Speed replay the race? Wife can't operate VCR.:(

I talked to Kat after the race. She was limping quite a bit, but was very happy (and nice).

Her car was carried away on 3 flatbed trucks. The only piece bigger than a tire was the tub.:thumbup: Guess that's what you want in one piece.

RHR_Fan
09-25-06, 10:12 AM
I was the pit observer in KL's pit (I recorded what all happened during her pits) and when we found out it was her it was silent. And I mean dead silent. They rushed KK out of there so fast that I thought the worst. Slowly news came in and it was better each time. Her car was just a complete wreck. Parts coming back as little as a 5x3 in boxes. All that was basically left was the tub.

~Nicole

KLang
09-25-06, 10:27 AM

Wednesday, noon ET on Speed.

anait
09-25-06, 10:40 AM
I was in shock. It was so fast, and so much debris...and without seeing it in replays (of course, absolutely the right thing to do), you just couldn't immediately tell where the monocoque was. Seeing it as it happened, you didn't know where to look, yeah? It just looked like confetti.

I had to leave the room for a few minutes...unloaded and loaded the dishwasher to calm down. Was thrilled to hear the good news, thrilled to see her smile and wave. Can't imagine the emotions she was (is!) going through. What an interview (with Jon?)... 'They can't fix the car?' :cool: Warrior in Pink, indeed!! :thumbup:

dando
09-25-06, 10:40 AM

What's a VCR? :gomer:

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
09-25-06, 11:28 AM
I can honestly say seeing her come out of the medical center smiling and wave to the crowd was probably my happiest moment as a CC fan.

Great interview with Jan. As a former driver you could sense his hesitation in asking about getting back in a car, but he asked it well and she took no offense. While she looked like she might puke, I like how without hesitation she said she would finish the race if she could. In fact she seemed less shaken than Speedy Dan.

FWIW too I was glad (if you can call it that) that the cause was a mechanical failure and not driver error. We can avoid the pointless debate about whether she belonged in a car. Some may do that anyway, but unrelated to the crash.

rabbit
09-25-06, 01:57 PM
If you haven't seen it yet...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl3JUDXJoTM

oddlycalm
09-25-06, 02:02 PM
Horrifying wreck, too much like ones I've seen that didn't turn out well. What a relief to see her walking and smiling. Too bad it took her out of her strongest race performance of the year.

oc

race chica
09-25-06, 02:39 PM
Anyone know why the piece flew off the car?

rabbit
09-25-06, 02:51 PM

It was no longer attached.

:p

TrueBrit
09-25-06, 02:54 PM
If you haven't seen it yet...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl3JUDXJoTM

Holy Crap!!!:eek:

Good grief.....that is AMAZING that she was up and around so quickly....

RichK
09-25-06, 02:56 PM
I can't think of a worse place on that track, or even a worse place on any of the tracks on the schedule, for that to happen.

SAdair
09-25-06, 02:57 PM

I speculated in the NH thread that it might be because of her earlier run in with Ranger. Some think it is possible, others think I am full of crap.

Probably both are right.:D

Opposite Lock
09-25-06, 03:58 PM

Anyone know where Corkski was yesterday afternoon?

Andrew Longman
09-25-06, 03:58 PM
Rangers contact was with the sidepod. I doubt if, when he rotated in his spin he could have made contact with the wing, especially .the upper element.

Does anyone know how the wing is constructed and how it it attached to the endplates? The answer to the failure lies there. Poor constuction, fatigue and damage are basicly you choices.

RacinM3
09-25-06, 04:15 PM
Rangers contact was with the sidepod. I doubt if, when he rotated in his spin he could have made contact with the wing, especially .the upper element.

Does anyone know how the wing is constructed and how it it attached to the endplates? The answer to the failure lies there. Poor constuction, fatigue and damage are basicly you choices.

Should be relatively easy for them to find out, as the offending part flew harmlessly into the grass and did not end up as part of the yard sale from the main wreck.

Tifosi24
09-25-06, 04:26 PM
Anyone know where Corkski was yesterday afternoon?

Sitting next to me outside Turn 5, and no he was not hating.

grungex
09-25-06, 04:49 PM
Fell asleep, did he? :p

Dr. Corkski
09-25-06, 05:00 PM
Sitting next to me outside Turn 5, and no he was not hating.Actually when you went off to Turn 6 during the race I snuck off to Canada Corner and threw the banana peel there, because FaFu would have never driven off the track on his own. I am sure I must have done something to the pinkwagon's rearwing while I was at it.

Fitti Fan
09-25-06, 11:04 PM
Sitting next to me outside Turn 5, and no he was not hating.

Shhhh, he doesn't want anybody to know that he really is a very nice young man.

TKGAngel
09-26-06, 08:23 AM
I was on the Champcar website and found that Katherine was on the Today show and The Early Show this morning. Big :thumbup: for the series in getting her out there, showing that she's alright (and promoting the series too!).

SAdair
09-26-06, 08:44 AM
I was on the Champcar website and found that Katherine was on the Today show and The Early Show this morning. Big :thumbup: for the series in getting her out there, showing that she's alright (and promoting the series too!).

I just saw it about an hour ago on the Today show. She was on right after 7:30. She did an excellent job. Mentioned Champ Car, Warriors in Pink, PKV racing, Bell Micro and the Safety team in a very conversational way. Maybe they will put a clip on MSNBC.com later this afternoon.

rosawendel
09-26-06, 09:07 AM
I just saw it about an hour ago on the Today show. She was on right after 7:30. She did an excellent job. Mentioned Champ Car, Warriors in Pink, PKV racing, Bell Micro and the Safety team in a very conversational way. Maybe they will put a clip on MSNBC.com later this afternoon.

she was on GMA a little before 8 (eastern) via telephone. she was described as "a driver in the champ series". decent interview, but the only b-roll they showed was the disintegration of the car from up the track - over and over and over.

KLang
09-26-06, 11:01 AM
Interview on CBS (http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/i_video/main500251.shtml?id=2039456n)

:thumbup: :)

Joelski
09-26-06, 11:31 AM
The Yahoo ad was TFF! "SCRUFFY!!"

:rofl:

devilmaster
09-26-06, 02:50 PM
Went looking round, found the french eurosport guys doing the live commentary

http://youtube.com/watch?v=efOF0pyW_7M

theunions
09-26-06, 03:12 PM
Interview on CBS (http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/i_video/main500251.shtml?id=2039456n)

:thumbup: :)

And :thumbup: to Hannah Storm for saying, "you're the only woman out there." :D

TrueBrit
09-26-06, 04:13 PM
And :thumbup: to Hannah Storm for saying, "you're the only woman out there." :D

I think that's more from the fact that Ms Storm is dead from the neck up, but I know where you're coming from....:)

SAdair
09-26-06, 04:28 PM
Champ Car has links to both interviews on their website.:thumbup: :cool:

theunions
09-26-06, 05:02 PM
I think that's more from the fact that Ms Storm is dead from the neck up, but I know where you're coming from....:)

I would've been perfectly happy if she'd said "you're one of the few women out there" instead, but it would've been annoying if she then mentioned the others by name and invariably out of context.

Champ Car has links to both interviews on their website.:thumbup: :cool:

Both on-camera interviews, that is. Does anyone have a link to the GMA phone interview?

mueber
09-26-06, 05:24 PM
I find Ms. Legge more likeable with every passing minute. Her interview immediately after the accident was awesome. She's brave, she's smart, she's articulate, and she seems to be a decent person. Good for her, and good for us.

rosawendel
09-26-06, 07:31 PM
another interview on abc world news tonight... this time with video.

cameraman
09-26-06, 07:47 PM
Check out this 2003 clip of Katherine launching her F3 ride at Rockingham

:eek:

dando
09-26-06, 08:00 PM

:eek:

Reminds me of Mike Borkowski @ MIS in the Rahal Indy Lights ride. I spoke to him during an Team Rahal event later in the season, and he said that a screw kept his ride from flipping over on the back stretch (he was 90 degrees to the track). :eek:

-Kevin

Dr. Corkski
09-26-06, 09:01 PM

:eek:Dallara back-breaking POS crapwagon. :gomer:

racer2c
09-26-06, 09:22 PM
Dallara back-breaking POS crapwagon. :gomer:

No doubt! Good thing she didn't break her back in that POS.:tony:

oddlycalm
09-27-06, 04:25 PM
Too bad the mainstream media didn't bother to report who won the race....

BTW, the most impressive thing to me after repeated viewings is the Simple Green safety team arriving carside in less than 30 seconds after her car came to rest.

oc

theunions
09-27-06, 04:45 PM
BTW, the most impressive thing to me after repeated viewings is the Simple Green safety team arriving carside in less than 30 seconds after her car came to rest.

Technically speaking it's not Simple Green anymore (as opposed to just "Champ Car Safety Team") and hasn't been since the end of 2003. Wish that wasn't the case though...

oddlycalm
09-27-06, 05:50 PM
Technically speaking it's not Simple Green anymore (as opposed to just "Champ Car Safety Team") and hasn't been since the end of 2003. Wish that wasn't the case though... Right, sorry, old habits die hard.:o

oc

Twisty Bits
09-27-06, 06:31 PM
Reminds me of Mike Borkowski @ MIS in the Rahal Indy Lights ride. I spoke to him during an Team Rahal event later in the season, and he said that a screw kept his ride from flipping over on the back stretch (he was 90 degrees to the track). :eek:

-Kevin

I was there for that. 1998. Amazed it came back down. I swear it looked like he went up more than 90 degrees.