PDA

View Full Version : Top Gear co-host recovering after crash

nrc
09-24-06, 02:03 AM
Top Gear co-host Richard Hammond was seriously injured when he crashed in a jet dragster. Although he had a significant brain injury in the crash a few days ago he's awake and talking and out of intensive care.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/5372890.stm?ls

vancouver
09-24-06, 03:26 PM
According to reports one of the first things he said was '' I need to get up to do a piece to camera.''

WickerBill
09-24-06, 06:11 PM
I believe he also woke up and called someone he recognized a {beep}face. Apparently an affectionate term in England?

(sorry for sidestepping the filter boss... please don't kick me off)

nrc
09-24-06, 11:49 PM
I believe he also woke up and called someone he recognized a {beep}face. Apparently an affectionate term in England?

(sorry for sidestepping the filter boss... please don't kick me off)

You know, it would be really funny if you could use {beep} instead of picking just one character. :) Also, in the latest software censorship is applied when the item is posted rather than when it's displayed. So I can no longer go in and view what was censored or even whether it was really censored or the user just ****ing did it themselves.

Anyway, I thought it was an interesting item because I always enjoy the Top Gear clips on YouTube. Evidently there's quite a bunch of brit safety ****s after them who would like to use this as a pretext for getting the show off the air.

nrc
01-29-07, 01:33 AM
Hammond has recovered and is back on the show. On his return they showed his jet dragster runs and eventual crash. A front tire blows out at 288 mph. :eek:
http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=830929109569151280

Gnam
01-29-07, 03:28 AM
Bloody brilliant. :thumbup:

rabbit
01-29-07, 09:38 AM
Great to see him be able to laugh about it. :thumbup:

Gangrel
01-29-07, 11:36 AM
Saw the footage on CNN this morning. The airhead who does the news over there said something about the tire manufacturer saying it was driver error that caused the crash. Apparently, the error is that he should have chosen a tire manufacturer who's tire wouldn't shread at high speed. :shakehead

grungex
01-29-07, 12:03 PM
Awesome to see him back. :thumbup:

Ankf00
02-13-07, 01:16 PM
topgear says they're never coming back to the US :gomer:

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/02/12/top-gear-crew-visits-u-s-a-will-never-return-again/

what'd those douchebags expect?

nrc
02-13-07, 02:59 PM
Do you suppose the results would be much different if you showed up in a few downs in England with a few choice words for the local soccer club on your deck lid?

TrueBrit
02-13-07, 03:10 PM

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/02/12/top-gear-crew-visits-u-s-a-will-never-return-again/

What'd they expect? How about folks not acting like neanderthals....They had nothing more inflammatory then NASCAR sucks, or Hillary for Prez, and they deserve an ass-kicking for that?

So the Top Gear crew are douchebags because some toothless cousin-lovers in the south tried to beat them up?

You're a bigger gripper than I thought...:shakehead

Wheel-Nut
02-13-07, 03:14 PM
Would you drive through the Bronx with KKK plastered on your car? Some things you just don't do.

Ankf00
02-13-07, 03:21 PM
What'd they expect? How about folks not acting like neanderthals....They had nothing more inflammatory then NASCAR sucks, or Hillary for Prez, and they deserve an ass-kicking for that?

So the Top Gear crew are douchebags because some toothless cousin-lovers in the south tried to beat them up?

You're a bigger gripper than I thought...:shakehead

are you going to walk into a Celtic supporters pub wearing a Rangers jersey, saying "Celtic supporters shag sheep?"

meanwhile, toothless cousin-lovers in the south are able to congregate in large numbers to celebrate sporting events without stabbing others and rioting against law enforcement (that's better left to those across the pond)

should any of this happen? of course not. but if you poke a hornets nest...

Andrew Longman
02-13-07, 03:49 PM
are you going to walk into a Celtic supporters pub wearing a Rangers jersey, saying "Celtic supporters shag sheep?"

That would be a Knicks jersey.

And its Red Sox supporters that shag sheep.

Anyway, I suppose they thought they would get a bit better footage for the show if they stirred the pot a bit. Little did they realize that among us colonists, the bad asses, convicts, fanatics, desparates and the just plain determined left merry old England to settle the South. The others stayed behind.

KLang
02-13-07, 03:53 PM

I think they got exactly the reaction they were trolling for.

nrc
02-13-07, 04:04 PM
What'd they expect? How about folks not acting like neanderthals....
And exactly what in their own sports culture would lead them to that expectation?

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/1903854415.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpghttp://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/1903854512.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

rabbit
02-13-07, 04:05 PM

meanwhile, toothless cousin-lovers in the south are able to congregate in large numbers to celebrate sporting events without stabbing others and rioting against law enforcement (that's better left to those across the pond)

should any of this happen? of course not. but if you poke a hornets nest...

:thumbup:

TrueBrit
02-13-07, 04:13 PM
And exactly what in their own sports culture would lead them to that expectation?

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/1903854415.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpghttp://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/1903854512.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

So where were the Top Gear crew? Were they at a NASCAR race? No? Then you are comparing apples and oranges...Morons beating the crap out of each other at some low-level ponce-fest is one thing...having strangers come up to you whilst being out and about is something completely different...

rabbit
02-13-07, 04:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6MJVzXbqRU

What a bunch of dumbasses. (the Top Gear crew) :shakehead

TrueBrit
02-13-07, 04:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6MJVzXbqRU

What a bunch of dumbasses. (the Top Gear crew) :shakehead

Yeah, the rednecks were just acting naturally so it's alright....

Let's defend the pinheads eh?

:gomer:

Ankf00
02-13-07, 04:30 PM
So where were the Top Gear crew? Were they at a NASCAR race? No? Then you are comparing apples and oranges...Morons beating the crap out of each other at some low-level ponce-fest is one thing...having strangers come up to you whilst being out and about is something completely different...

football matches are ponce-fests? a reasonable private citizen shouldn't expect to enter a club's grounds to watch a match without physical assault?

they were trolling for it, and the gas station owner called them on it.

yes, we all know, the rural south isn't a bastion of western enlightenment, excuse me for not joining in the incredulity shared by these tools from the UK who sought the very treatment they received.

their next US episode will feature the lot of them sporting hoods as they traipse about Howard University and the race riot that ensues :rolleyes:

WickerBill
02-13-07, 04:33 PM
It's not apples and oranges, TrueBrit, don't put your head in the sand.

Michael Shields...

(And no, Andrew Longman, it isn't a Knicks jersey... it's a 'gers kit)

Ankf00
02-13-07, 04:37 PM
That would be a Knicks jersey.

And its Red Sox supporters that shag sheep.

while Boston is indeed chowder aggy as they share many traits with their college station brethern...

Celtic:
http://www.football.co.uk/shared/images/teams/celtic.jpg

Rangers:
http://www.football.co.uk/shared/images/teams/rangers.jpg

Mean streets of Glasgow, yo! :gomer:

rabbit
02-13-07, 04:37 PM
Yeah, the rednecks were just acting naturally so it's alright....

Let's defend the pinheads eh?

:gomer:

I'm with Ank on this. I'm no fan of the South, but intentionally provoking someone and then acting surprised and appalled when you get the expected reaction is just stupid and immature. It makes you no better than the people you provoke. If I drove through San Francisco with "I hate f*gs" and "Nuke Iraq" painted on my car, I shouldn't be surprised if the locals react violently. I also wouldn't be surprised to hear you tell me that I got what I deserved and that the locals were justified in treating me violently. You are letting your politics blind you to the real issue.

TrueBrit
02-13-07, 04:46 PM
football matches are ponce-fests? a reasonable private citizen shouldn't expect to enter a club's grounds to watch a match without physical assault?

they were trolling for it, and the gas station owner called them on it.

yes, we all know, the rural south isn't a bastion of western enlightenment, excuse me for not joining in the incredulity shared by these tools from the UK who sought the very treatment they received.

their next US episode will feature the lot of them sporting hoods as they traipse about Howard University and the race riot that ensues :rolleyes:

As to your first point absolutely they shouldn't expect to be physically assaulted. I've been to plenty of matches and neither seen or heard of any. It occurs where you look for it.

TrueBrit
02-13-07, 04:47 PM
It's not apples and oranges, TrueBrit, don't put your head in the sand.

Michael Shields...

(And no, Andrew Longman, it isn't a Knicks jersey... it's a 'gers kit)

..because football hooligans beating the ever-loving snot out of each other (often pre-arranged) at the ground is EXACTLY the same as being assaulted in public by a bunch of inbreds...

TrueBrit
02-13-07, 04:53 PM
I'm with Ank on this. I'm no fan of the South, but intentionally provoking someone and then acting surprised and appalled when you get the expected reaction is just stupid and immature. It makes you no better than the people you provoke. If I drove through San Francisco with "I hate f*gs" and "Nuke Iraq" painted on my car, I shouldn't be surprised if the locals react violently. I also wouldn't be surprised to hear you tell me that I got what I deserved and that the locals were justified in treating me violently. You are letting your politics blind you to the real issue.

Because displaying homophobic and pro-war statements are EXACTLY the same as 'Hillary for President' and 'NASCAR sucks' right?

Is anyone old enough to remember the dare-devil scene from Kentucky Fried Movie? How about the Die Hard with Bruce Willis in Harlem?

If the TopGear guys had been sporting signs expressing similar sentiments as those, then yes, they got what they deserved, but that is not the case here.

Politics doesn't enter into it...defending the actions of mental midgets does...

Ankf00
02-13-07, 04:56 PM
It occurs where you look for it.

DING! DING! DING!!!

and they were looking for it. I don't roll into college station on gameday telling every aggy I see "how was the sheep humping last night, inbreds" wearing a longhorn shirt, thusly, they leave me alone. Otherwise a group of rather rowdy individuals would likely throw a beer on me before beating me.

Because displaying homophobic and pro-war statements are EXACTLY the same as 'Hillary for President' and 'NASCAR sucks' right?did you even watch the video? the gas station owner calls them on it and they act smarmy

nrc
02-13-07, 04:57 PM

If you're claiming that you troll through Manchester with Manchester United Sucks on the deck of your car and not get the same treatment I think you're dreaming.

Nobody here is saying that being a pinhead is ok, the point is that they exist in all societies and the Top Gear crew chose to deliberately go trolling for them to stroke the ugly American stereotype.

rabbit
02-13-07, 04:58 PM
Because displaying homophobic and pro-war statements are EXACTLY the same as 'Hillary for President' and 'NASCAR sucks' right?Yes they are, in that both were intended solely to provoke.

Ankf00
02-13-07, 04:59 PM
Nobody here is saying that being a pinhead is ok, the point is that they exist in all societies and the Top Gear crew chose to deliberately go trolling for them to stroke the ugly American stereotype.

nrc FTW

TrueBrit
02-13-07, 05:26 PM
If you're claiming that you troll through Manchester with Manchester United Sucks on the deck of your car and not get the same treatment I think you're dreaming.

Again, not the same thing...and yes you CAN go through Manchester with Man U sucks and not get the same treatment...in fact, if you find Manchester City fans they might even buy you a pint...;)

emjaya
02-13-07, 05:28 PM
If you go looking to provoke people and they turn violent, then it's your own fault.

And you will find people like that in every country in the world, not just the Deep South of the USA.

Celtic:

Rangers:

Hoots mon, Both those teams suck.

http://www.football.co.uk/shared/images/teams/aberdeen.jpg

WickerBill
02-13-07, 05:39 PM
..because football hooligans beating the ever-loving snot out of each other (often pre-arranged) at the ground is EXACTLY the same as being assaulted in public by a bunch of inbreds...

That's just it... Michael Shields wasn't near the ground, he was trying to murder someone because they didn't share his views (on a football club, not NASCAR -- so I guess you'll still argue it's apples and oranges). It happened in the resort town of Golden Sands Bulgaria in the middle of the night, not at Anfield during a Saturday teatime match.

And he's just the highest profile case -- I think deep down you'd have to agree that "I don't care for the sport/club you like so I am going to attempt to maim you" is far more prevalent in the UK / Europe than even in Ala-freaking-bama.

TrueBrit
02-13-07, 07:50 PM
That's just it... Michael Shields wasn't near the ground, he was trying to murder someone because they didn't share his views (on a football club, not NASCAR -- so I guess you'll still argue it's apples and oranges). It happened in the resort town of Golden Sands Bulgaria in the middle of the night, not at Anfield during a Saturday teatime match.

And he's just the highest profile case -- I think deep down you'd have to agree that "I don't care for the sport/club you like so I am going to attempt to maim you" is far more prevalent in the UK / Europe than even in Ala-freaking-bama.

Well if you insist on going to Bulgaria on holiday you get what's coming to you...and apparently he is innocent..so innocent apples and oranges...;)

TrueBrit
02-13-07, 07:52 PM
Yes they are, in that both were intended solely to provoke.

Aah, I see, so "I hate your sport = I hate the colour of your skin", and "I want a 'liberal' woman as President = kill all the (insert racial epithet here).

Not really...

Ankf00
02-13-07, 08:16 PM
you're right, they're not the same, beacuse someone with the gall to drive during critical mass in SF is cause enough for a mob of cyclists to vandalize that person's $50,000 vehicle as they pass.

So I imagine "republicans rule" or "you're homos & fags" would elicit a far worse response.

rabbit
02-13-07, 08:18 PM
Aah, I see, so "I hate your sport = I hate the colour of your skin", and "I want a 'liberal' woman as President = kill all the (insert racial epithet here).

Not really...

The only real difference is that one agrees with your politics and the other one doesn't.

coolhand
02-13-07, 08:24 PM
I agree with Ank here,

even in non-redneck San Francisco you would get attacked for putting stupid stuff on your car and driving down the castro district.

Brits like to make fun of low class white American rednecks but the UK has its own very large class of low income-not-so-pretty/tolerant-people. Not everyone from england has a stately voice and a Oxford education.

WickerBill
02-13-07, 08:53 PM
Chavs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chav), baby.

Ankf00
02-13-07, 08:59 PM
Chavs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chav), baby.

you mean Wayne Rooney?

WickerBill
02-13-07, 09:25 PM
No, no, he's a dirty scouser.

TrueBrit
02-13-07, 10:38 PM
I agree with Ank here,

even in non-redneck San Francisco you would get attacked for putting stupid stuff on your car and driving down the castro district.

Brits like to make fun of low class white American rednecks but the UK has its own very large class of low income-not-so-pretty/tolerant-people. Not everyone from england has a stately voice and a Oxford education.

Frightfully sorry old bean, didn't you you mean to say not everyone has an Oxford education...? ;)

TrueBrit
02-13-07, 10:39 PM
No, no, he's a dirty scouser.

I think that's filthy scouser...or alternatively 'stupid, northern git'....

WickerBill
02-13-07, 11:13 PM
...and don't forget to also say "best footballer my country has by acres" either, TB. :)

Ankf00
02-14-07, 11:51 AM
I always preferred "gauche chav," but "filthy scouser" works as well. Cheers :thumbup:

Andrew Longman
02-14-07, 01:23 PM
while Boston is indeed chowder aggy as they share many traits with their college station brethern...

Celtic:

Rangers:

Got it. I should have processed the fact that you were replying to TruBrit.;)

As to the point, its not just that these guys "asked for it", its why they were asking for it. They knew that playing to stereotypes of Southern Rednecks would play very well to their British audience. They knew they would find it a scream. Think of it as the Borat approach. It just didn't go exactly as planned.

G.
02-14-07, 02:57 PM
As to the point, its not just that these guys "asked for it", its why they were asking for it. They knew that playing to stereotypes of Southern Rednecks would play very well to their British audience. They knew they would find it a scream. Think of it as the Borat approach. It just didn't go exactly as planned.
Bull. It went EXACTLY as planned.

They were discussing overandoverandover which one of them was going to get killed first. "Oh, that message will get you killed first for sure", that type of stuff. How many times do they need to foreshadow (or, to be direct, hit-you-over-the-head-with-their-intentions) what they were trying to accomplish?

Allright, I need to watch again, because one of the things that struck me about the clip is the drama buildup, but also the "interesting" editing.

I AM NOT SAYING THAT THIS DIDN'T HAPPEN, but are we getting the whole story? Of course not. That might not have enough drama (or too much?).

Just some questions, no answers: Did the gomerbillies REALLY throw rocks at them? We were TOLD they did, and I heard some noises, but..

What exactly happened before said rocks were thrown? What was edited out (if anything)? Did the limeybillies taunt the gomerbillies with references to the guy's sisters' virtues?

Were they REALLY that scared? Did anyone really give chase?

Whatever. Much ado about 'reality' TV and fun with editing.

Again though, you go into someone else's house, soil their carpet, you might get your nose rubbed in it. South-North, gay-straight, white-black, sissy footie lover-girly footie lover, whatever.

:p

rabbit
02-14-07, 03:11 PM
Good points G. I also wonder how many gas stations they had to stop at before they found this one.

Ankf00
02-14-07, 03:31 PM
Good points G. I also wonder how many gas stations they had to stop at before they found this one.

I've suddenly realized, I have plenty of petrol

G.
02-14-07, 03:39 PM
jumpstart=drama!

Ankf00
02-14-07, 03:51 PM
and Alabama isn't Palestine.

Cleetus, and Mary-Beth Sue roll with a shotgun and a .45. Not refugee camp rubble from the street. And if that was the case there is no way the camera man pass up on footage of firearms being brandished.

nrc
02-14-07, 03:52 PM
jumpstart=drama!

Of course. On TV cars never start the first time when you're being pursued. :)

Insomniac
02-14-07, 03:59 PM
As to your first point absolutely they shouldn't expect to be physically assaulted. I've been to plenty of matches and neither seen or heard of any. It occurs where you look for it.

And millions of people drive through the south without any trouble. Don't you think the same point applies? They were looking for it.

Insomniac
02-14-07, 04:05 PM

Not really...

They aren't the same to many of us, but to some, what you think is more offensive is not what others think is more offensive. It's all context. If you show up at a KKK rally with racial slurs about african americans on your car, you'll be lauded. If you show up with a Bill O'Reilly sucks t-shirt at an O'Reilly rally people will abuse you and they'll toss you out. These groups of people didn't like NASCAR sucks, which isn't a surprise.

Gnam
02-14-07, 04:39 PM
What exactly happened before said rocks were thrown? What was edited out (if anything)? Did the limeybillies taunt the gomerbillies with references to the guy's sisters' virtues?
From what I've seen of Top Gear, I'd say the hosts' generally offer their genuine emotions and honest opinions. So, I'm inclined to believe their account of how things went down. However, I would like to hear the station manager's version of events.

I think if the cameras weren't there, nothing happens.

Alabama isn't Palestine
:D Seriously. You're telling me there wasn't one empty beer bottle in that pickup?

coolhand
02-14-07, 07:49 PM
Just some questions, no answers: Did the gomerbillies REALLY throw rocks at them? We were TOLD they did, and I heard some noises, but..

:p

Good point, we also did not see any of the stuff they said except the lady saying "don't do that in a hick town" and video of guys walking somewhere.

One minute they had rocks thrown at them then they were jumping the car.

Andrew Longman
02-15-07, 01:22 PM
Bull. It went EXACTLY as planned.

Agreed. Just perhaps a matter of degrees.

(I actually haven't been able to get the clip to play. Just going by reports here

Edit: I now was able to see it. If I heard the "lady" in the gas station correctly, she got it right. "What are you gay to come to a hick town to make fun of us?"

It wasn't the slogans that pissed them off as much as being made fun of on camera for the benefit of their TV audience.

I make no apologies for many people across America, but to label everyone in Alabama as a Christian, C&W loving, veggie humping Republican Bush backer is simply wrong. Just as wrong as saying that Alabama is the heart of American saloon car racing where all the drivers come from and where the cars are made.

But isn't it nice that we have open borders and a constitution that allow foreigners and anyone else to drive about the country and make fun of us.