PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol-fueled 2-stroke?

datachicane
09-22-06, 02:30 PM
Here's a weird question- I'm working on one of my many geekly projects, and I've run into a situation where I'd like to adapt a 2-stroke gas engine to run on alcohol. Is this possible, or will the fuel attack the premix and give me durability problems?

JLMannin
09-24-06, 11:18 AM
Here's a weird question- I'm working on one of my many geekly projects, and I've run into a situation where I'd like to adapt a 2-stroke gas engine to run on alcohol. Is this possible, or will the fuel attack the premix and give me durability problems?

Interesting question - alcogols ar relatively reactive chemical groups, and I am not sure what types of reactions would be possible with oil and its components.

Any API engineers out there?

mapguy
09-24-06, 11:22 AM
Liquer me up and give me Jenna Jameson's video collection. I'll show you alcohol-fueled two stroke.....

:D :saywhat:

SteveH
09-25-06, 12:36 AM
:rofl: :laugh: :rofl:

cameraman
09-25-06, 03:45 AM
Here's a weird question- I'm working on one of my many geekly projects, and I've run into a situation where I'd like to adapt a 2-stroke gas engine to run on alcohol. Is this possible, or will the fuel attack the premix and give me durability problems?100% ethanol? This isn't for an outboard is it? Moisture will cause E85 to split into two phases so all the outboard engine companies are pretty militant about telling you to keep it the hell away from your boat. I'd expect premix + 100% ethanol would be even less stable.

Joelski
09-25-06, 09:00 AM
Alcohol would definitely invite water into the crankcase and alter the lubricity of the oil.

Turn7
09-25-06, 04:25 PM
Liquer me up and give me Jenna Jameson's video collection. I'll show you alcohol-fueled two stroke.....

:D :saywhat:

Now that's funny right there. :rofl:

datachicane
09-26-06, 10:45 AM
Yeah, 100% ethanol, not a marine application.

Seems like I'd read somewhere that some racing karts are ethanol-fueled- anybody know anything about this?

Joelski
09-26-06, 11:33 AM
Yeah, 100% ethanol, not a marine application.

Seems like I'd read somewhere that some racing karts are ethanol-fueled- anybody know anything about this?

Those are 4-stroke Briggs engines. They can run on gas or methanol.

datachicane
09-26-06, 12:36 PM
Those are 4-stroke Briggs engines. They can run on gas or methanol.

Well, I got half of it straight. Seems like I'd seen Redline list a 2-stroke oil for alcohol- maybe they're just saying it's E85 safe.

Joelski
09-26-06, 12:47 PM
Not ready for prime time.

Crankcase scavenged two-stroke engines have the additional complication of the air/fuel and oil mix interacting with the base engine components (crankshaft, connecting rod, seals, bearings and piston for example). By design and functional requirements the base engine components have critical bearing surfaces that require satisfactory lubrication to reduce wear. Manufacturers consider lubricity of fuel oil mixes an issue for engines using ethanol gasoline blend fuels although limited information available indicate otherwise (24,25,29). A field evaluation of two-stroke engines running 10% ethanol gasoline blend fuel by Kasperson and Reynolds24 on a number of utility engines indicated that satisfactory engine durability was possible. A lubricity test was performed which indicated that lubricity was improved using ethanol-blended fuels. Upon completion of the testing the engines were disassembled and inspected. One observation made was the greater incidence of ring sticking for test engines with high hours of operation, 200-400 hours.

Crankcase scavenged two-stroke engines may also experience loss of lubrication by the oil separating out of the fuel oil mix. This may occur through unsuitable oil formulation or the ethanol separating from the gasoline (phase separation). Phase separation may occur if the water content of the fuel exceeds a threshold value. Should the engine start and run when phase separation has occurred the engine will not be lubricated, a situation presenting the greatest potential for engine damage24.

http://www.deh.gov.au/atmosphere/fuelquality/publications/review-non-automotive/engine-durability.html

G.
09-26-06, 01:43 PM
That's just booze/gas blend (10 and 20%). Hell, in the midwest you cannot get gasoline without ethanol in it (hardly, anyway). If that's going to blow up 2 stroke engines, wouldn't we have heard about it by now?

cameraman
09-26-06, 02:47 PM
That's just booze/gas blend (10 and 20%). Hell, in the midwest you cannot get gasoline without ethanol in it (hardly, anyway). If that's going to blow up 2 stroke engines, wouldn't we have heard about it by now?

I talked to the local lawnmower repairshop owner this morning and he said the general rule was e10 was okay, e85 was bad news.