PDA

View Full Version : Car bike rack thingy

race chica
09-20-06, 03:30 PM
So i got a new bike and then realized that its too big to fit in my car. I have a Corolla and was wondering what kind of bike rack to get for it. Any suggestions?

Ankf00
09-20-06, 03:49 PM
roof rack or trunk-mounted?

If you go trunk-mounted there's lots of options, just head on over to REI or your local bike shop. You want one with more than just 1 contact point so that it doesn't fall over during sudden cornering

Most people go with Thule or Yakima for roof racks. You'll have to get spacers specific for your car which mate with the tower/mounts, and you'll have to choose a bar width that somewhat matches your car size. And then you'll have to get a bike rack to mount to the bars after that. More expensive than trunk-mounted but easier and less to mess with imo. Plus you can get ski holders, kayak/canoe rollers, etc...

Tifosi24
09-20-06, 04:02 PM
My family use bumper mounted carries. They are better than the trunk mounted variety, but are more expensive because they involve having to put a hitch on your car. The hitch mount allows it to be a single mount without the downside of it following off, as Ank alluded to in his post. I had my hitch put on several years ago, so I don't remember how much that cost, but without putting a wiring harness in, because really when am I going to tow something with a Lumina, I don't remember it being too ridiculous. My dad and I have Saris carriers (made in Madison if you like keeping your money in state) and they work really well.

race chica
09-20-06, 04:03 PM
roof rack or trunk-mounted?

If you go trunk-mounted there's lots of options, just head on over to REI or your local bike shop. You want one with more than just 1 contact point so that it doesn't fall over during sudden cornering

Most people go with Thule or Yakima for roof racks. You'll have to get spacers specific for your car which mate with the tower/mounts, and you'll have to choose a bar width that somewhat matches your car size. And then you'll have to get a bike rack to mount to the bars after that. More expensive than trunk-mounted but easier and less to mess with imo. Plus you can get ski holders, kayak/canoe rollers, etc...

Trunk rack

Stu
09-20-06, 04:05 PM
http://photos-986.facebook.com/ip006/v42/107/48/53700499/n53700499_30141986_160.jpg

You can be a hillbilly like SOG and run a bike rack with a trailer.

Ankf00
09-20-06, 04:29 PM
http://www.rei.com/online/store/Search?storeId=8000&crumb=Bike+Racks%5E%26cat%3D4500276%26query%3D%26t itle%3DBike%2BRacks%26inc%3Dsm3702_rack.jsi%26link %3D1%7ETrunk+Bike+Racks%5E%26cat%3D4501510&cat=4501510&query=&title=Bike+Racks&inc=sm3702_rack.jsi&link=1&text=1&vcat=REI_SSHP__TOC:N

REI has quite a few different models from Thule, Saris, and Yakima. I personally don't like the Yakima Little Joe ones where there's only 1 contact point on top of the trunk, I prefer for it to be a bar or 2 legs contacting both the top of the trunk and resting against the back bumper.

Go to your local bike shop and ask for some advice, they should set you straight on the specific models.

rosawendel
09-20-06, 04:41 PM
I had a saris bones 2 bike rack (about a hundred bucks), which worked pretty well on a '93 mazda 626. but the '03 maxima has a spoiler, so away the rack went.

Wheel-Nut
09-20-06, 05:46 PM
Saris Bones is a quality rack.

http://www.saris.com/images/PRODUCT/large/175.jpg

Sean O'Gorman
09-20-06, 06:22 PM
I've heard lots of good things about the Saris Bones but I cheaped out and bought a $35 Bell rack. I fully expect my bike to fly off within 100 miles of me leaving for Kansas this weekend. :\

Andrew Longman
09-20-06, 08:13 PM
I have a Saris hitch rack on an Honda van. Not very close to your application but the Saris has been great and their service/warranty was great the one time I needed them.

I have to do the hitch because I haul five bikes, but I also prefer it because it keeps everything away from the car finish and is easy to load and unload.