PDA

View Full Version : OC NFL Eliminator Pool - Week 3 - Get Picks in by 1:00 PM ET, Sun 9/24

Insomniac
09-19-06, 12:30 PM
This is the Off Camber NFL Eliminator Pool thread for Week 3.

Rules:

Pick the winner of one game this week.
If you are right, you move on to the next week.
If you are wrong, you are eliminated.
You can only use a team once the entire season (e.g. You choose the Falcons for Week 1, that means you can not choose the Falcons again another week.)
The winner is the last man or woman standing.

How to enter:

Submit your entry by posting in this thread.
Your pick must be in before the start time for the first game of the week. (1:00 PM ET, Sun 9/24 for Week 3)
Any edits to your post after this time will result in disqualification.
If you make multiple picks in the same week, your last pick before the deadline will be used.

Insomniac
09-19-06, 12:31 PM
Current Standings

Two people were eliminated in Week 2.

Still Alive:
Al Czervik (PHI, SD)
Ankf00 (PHI, SD)
dando (ARI, BAL)
devilmaster (SEA, CHI)
Dr. Corkski (SEA, IND)
Dvdb (ARI, BAL)
extramundane (PHI, NO)
FTG (NE, IND)
Gangrel (CHI, NE)
greenie (ARI, DEN)
Insomniac (SEA, BAL)
Lizzerd (SEA, SD)
nrc (SEA, CIN)
Racing Truth (NE, CHI)
skaven (SD, BAL)
TKAngel (PHI, CIN)
Turn7 (NYJ, CHI)
WickerBill (NE, SD)
Willam (NE, BAL)

Eliminated - 1 Loss - Week 2:
racermike (NE, )
Spicoli (IND, IND)

Eliminated - 1 Loss - Week 1:
racer2c (DEN, BAL)
RacinM3 (, DEN)
Sean O'Gorman (TB, BAL)
Stu (MIA, NO)

Eliminated - 2 Losses:
IlliniRacer (CAR, )
indyfan31 (SF, )
Opposite Lock (GB, )
Ronbo (CAR, )
Tony George (, GB)

Insomniac
09-19-06, 12:31 PM
For your convenience, here are this weeks games:

Carolina at Tampa Bay
Chicago at Minnesota
Cincinnati at Pittsburgh
Green Bay at Detroit
Jacksonville at Indianapolis
N.Y. Jets at Buffalo
Tennessee at Miami
Washington at Houston
Baltimore at Cleveland
N.Y. Giants at Seattle
Philadelphia at San Francisco
St. Louis at Arizona
Denver at New England
Atlanta at New Orleans

Bye Week: Dallas, Kansas City, Oakland, San Diego

Sean O'Gorman
09-19-06, 12:43 PM
Green Bay

Ankf00
09-19-06, 12:45 PM
Miami

Dr. Corkski
09-19-06, 12:49 PM
Baltimore.

racer2c
09-19-06, 01:02 PM
Baltimore.

Spicoli
09-19-06, 01:07 PM
dood. IND did not loose.

:did not read the rules:

:cry:

nrc
09-19-06, 01:19 PM
Baltimore

skaven
09-19-06, 02:00 PM
dood. IND did not loose.

Bwahahahaha.... :tony:

skaven
09-19-06, 02:03 PM
Miami... until I change my mind.

devilmaster
09-19-06, 02:07 PM
Green Bay

:eek:

Wow, I believe in the 0-16 Lions and all, but even I won't take GB at Detroit. They have the ability to make the Lions look like perennial SB contenders....

0-16 is a possibility, but knowing these Lions like I do, they will probably win the final game with a last second field goal to ensure they don't get first overall pick..... (not that they would do anything good with the pick, but i digress)

So I pick Philly.

extramundane
09-19-06, 02:08 PM
Baltimore Bandwagon.

Lizzerd
09-19-06, 02:31 PM
Baltimore looks like the safest pick this week. I'll take 'em too.

Spicoli
09-19-06, 02:57 PM
Bwahahahaha.... :tony:

hater. :tony:

dando
09-19-06, 03:49 PM
Make mine a Philly Cheesesteak.

-Kevin

WickerBill
09-19-06, 04:52 PM
Miami.

Stu
09-19-06, 05:37 PM
Ratbirds

Ankf00
09-19-06, 05:58 PM
when did pigeons begin playing in the league?

Insomniac
09-19-06, 06:04 PM
dood. IND did not loose.

Hehe, they didn't lose, but you did! :p

Insomniac
09-19-06, 06:06 PM
Ratbirds

I can't figure this one out.

WickerBill
09-19-06, 06:14 PM
I think Ratbirds is what pretty much everyone else in the AFC North calls the Ravens... might be wrong though

Ankf00
09-19-06, 06:16 PM
AFC North == Pitt, Cin, Cle?

and ratbirds is the best they can come up with?

RacinM3
09-19-06, 06:42 PM
Philadelphia

Insomniac
09-19-06, 06:59 PM
I think Ratbirds is what pretty much everyone else in the AFC North calls the Ravens... might be wrong though

Heh, I ike TMQ's nickname, the Nevermores.

Or the team that has an awesome linebacker when he is "protected"...

Stu
09-19-06, 07:21 PM
AFC North == Pitt, Cin, Cle?

and ratbirds is the best they can come up with?

I'm sorry, it's no Aggy. :\

Ankf00
09-19-06, 07:49 PM
I'm sorry, it's no Aggy. :\

Lets start calling panthers the "King of the Jungle" while we're at it. You know seeing as they're big cats and all... not as if that name's already widely used as psuedonym for another animal :gomer:

oh, and if you want to get technical: it's "those who prefer the company of ewes" :)

Stu
09-19-06, 08:24 PM
Lets start calling panthers the "King of the Jungle" while we're at it. You know seeing as they're big cats and all... not as if that name's already widely used as psuedonym for another animal :gomer:

ok well if another team ever goes by the name "Pigeons", I will stop calling the Ravens the Ratbirds.

Lizzerd
09-19-06, 09:54 PM
Actually, Ratbird is a pretty good name for a Raven. :thumbup: Stu.

Gangrel
09-19-06, 11:38 PM
City of Brotherly Love.

Eww... :D

FTG
09-20-06, 02:30 PM
Tough week. I'll say Atlanta. Vick looks like he's finally figuring out what he's doing.

Ankf00
09-20-06, 02:42 PM
nothing spells "Figuring it out" like dead last in NFL passing yards w/ 89 QB rating.

FTG
09-20-06, 03:12 PM
He's finally figuring out when to run and when to throw. Wisely, he's running much more this year.

Ankf00
09-20-06, 03:36 PM
Not so much him figuring out the position. He's still a 50% passer and admits himself that's what he'll always be. His rushing out of shotgun spread packages has been play design such as zone-read, not throw/run decisions on his part.

Regardless, about time his coaches figured it out.

Insomniac
09-20-06, 03:56 PM
nothing spells "Figuring it out" like dead last in NFL passing yards w/ 89 QB rating.

If Roethlisberger can win the SB with a 22.2 rating, I don't think Vick has to worry that much.

Ankf00
09-20-06, 05:00 PM
If Roethlisberger can win the SB with a 22.2 rating, I don't think Vick has to worry that much.

So from now on I guess it doesn't matter how a qb performs just as long as the refs can pocket the W for you

Stu
09-20-06, 05:31 PM
So from now on I guess it doesn't matter how a qb performs just as long as the refs can pocket the W for you

Thats how tOSU won their national championship. :yuck:

Ankf00
09-20-06, 06:08 PM
Must be something about those Ohio quarterbacks.

Charlie Frye SB XLIII ring, coming up?

Stu
09-20-06, 07:10 PM
Must be something about those Ohio quarterbacks.

Charlie Frye SB XLIII ring, coming up?

Probably not.

Insomniac
09-20-06, 07:34 PM

Well, both teams sucked. I blame the refs in the DEN-NE game. If they knew what they were doing it would've been SEA-NE and NE would've left no doubt that the calls wouldn't have stopped them from winning.:D

Big Ben has lost like 5 games in his NFL career throwing for what, 2500 yds a season? That's not a passing QB by any means. He does have better accuracy when he passes vs. Vick, but he won a SB. If Vick plays his style (what he is comfortable with), I don't see why they can't win it all. Pittsburgh had a lot of luck last year. They needed to win their last 5 and teams ahead of them had to falter at the same time. It all happened. Then Palmer goes down, Denver knocks off NE, they get to play the Chokemaster and a weak NFC.

I'm not saying Vick is an elite QB by any traditional standard, but he possesses skills that no one else has and can pose problems. The way Atlanta is running, you can spy him or stack for the run, Vick is capable enough to hit guys and scramble to buy time. We'll see if he can, and stay healthy.

Insomniac
09-20-06, 07:34 PM
Thats how tOSU won their national championship. :yuck:

Wait, I thought they destroyed McGahee's knee to win that?

Stu
09-21-06, 08:31 AM
Big Ben has lost like 5 games in his NFL career throwing for what, 2500 yds a season? That's not a passing QB by any means. He does have better accuracy when he passes vs. Vick, but he won a SB. If Vick plays his style (what he is comfortable with), I don't see why they can't win it all. Pittsburgh had a lot of luck last year. They needed to win their last 5 and teams ahead of them had to falter at the same time. It all happened. Then Palmer goes down, Denver knocks off NE, they get to play the Chokemaster and a weak NFC.

Exactly, Big Ben isn't an amazing quarterback. He just doesnt make mistakes, and he lets his receivers and running backs take care of the scoring. His offensive line also protects him very well.

Now this year might be different. He looked like garbage on Monday night. Perhaps it was just from the apendectomy and it will be short lived, perhaps it was from the motorcycle crash and will kill his career. Maybe somewhere in the middle.

Ankf00
09-21-06, 10:38 AM
I really like what Atl's done with incorporating more shotgun spread & shotgun running w/ option, and I'm hoping Vick racks up a few playoff runs with this offense to prove it can work (can't see Norm Chow utilizing much shotgun so Atl's the only hope until Troy Smith comes out). But I still don't think that running a glorified single wing will win a super bowl unless everything aligns just perfectly, much like last year.

I mean, the Atl passing offense is designed for short, high % throws...

Insomniac
09-21-06, 03:27 PM
I really like what Atl's done with incorporating more shotgun spread & shotgun running w/ option, and I'm hoping Vick racks up a few playoff runs with this offense to prove it can work (can't see Norm Chow utilizing much shotgun so Atl's the only hope until Troy Smith comes out). But I still don't think that running a glorified single wing will win a super bowl unless everything aligns just perfectly, much like last year.

Yeah, there is luck in the equation. One thing is for sure, if you're QB completely sucks, no amount of luck will help there. I'd say Vick is not in that category. :)

greenie
09-21-06, 10:05 PM
I don't know if it's a sign of parity that the biggest favorite this week also has two losses?

Whatever, I'm taking Miami. :tony:

Insomniac
09-22-06, 07:31 AM

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/09/21/bc.fbn.runningfalcons.ap/index.html

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=whitlock/060921

I didn't paste these because they mention WVU. ;)

Also, Whitlock does say something interesting. It would work well, since the high cost of a QB is one reason the option isn't much of an option in the NFL.

Willam
09-22-06, 09:43 AM
I'll go with the Packers this week.

Ankf00
09-22-06, 01:22 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/09/21/bc.fbn.runningfalcons.ap/index.html

Also, Whitlock does say something interesting. It would work well, since the high cost of a QB is one reason the option isn't much of an option in the NFL.

Hey, Rodriguez invented the dart read 10 years ago, take pride he's your guy :). Running out of the spread is completely his baby. Texas however is the first team to use it to as a base play to win a BCS bowl ;)

I'd say this about killing qb's, VY: 6'4" 235'ish, shawne merriman had a clean shot at him last week & has 30-40 pounds on him and basically dropped to his ankles before dragging him down. VY always had an ability to avoid the huge hit, never saw him decleated. Vick's small and has an injury history. But, for once in his life Whitlock has a good point, I'd have to agree with the two of you...

2 things, this offense IS NOT THE SPREAD OPTION!!!!. So tired of talking heads calling everything "spread option"... Spread option == WR in motion for either end around or lines up behind qb so that the qb plays the zone read, and if he keeps then WR is pitch man on speed option to weak side. Other, D-speed killed the traditional option in college, and the NFL has tons to spare. But with a spread you force the defense to guard the entire width of the field and over the top, and voila the interior is opened up... I think ZR can work as part of a package, the package has to force the D to key elsewhere though, and if the qb can throw you're opening up that much more rushing room...

dando
09-22-06, 01:26 PM
VY always had an ability to avoid the huge hit, never saw him decleated.

Obviously you forgot about the hit he took against The OSU that knocked him out of the game for a play or two. :D

-Kevin

Ankf00
09-22-06, 01:27 PM

Hey, Rodriguez invented the dart read 10 years ago, take pride he's your guy :). Running out of the spread is completely his baby. Texas however is the first team to use it to as a base play to win a BCS bowl ;)

I'd say this about killing qb's, VY: 6'4" 235'ish, shawne merriman had a clean shot at him last week &vhas 30-40 pounds on him and basically dropped to his ankles before dragging him down. VY always had an ability to avoid the huge hit, never saw him decleated. Vick's small and has an injury history. But, for once in his life Whitlock has a good point, I'd have to agree with the two of you...

2 things, this offense IS NOT THE SPREAD OPTION!!!!. So tired of talking heads calling everything "spread option"... Spread option == WR in motion for either end around or lines up behind qb so that the qb plays the zone read, and if he keeps then WR is pitch man on speed option to weak side. Other, D-speed killed the traditional option in college, and the NFL has tons to spare. But with a spread you force the defense to guard the entire width of the field and over the top, and voila the interior is opened up... I think ZR can work as part of a package, the package has to force the D to key elsewhere though, and if the qb can throw you're opening up that much more rushing room...

"It is not something you can line up and run every play," Vick said. "You just don't know when it is coming because we have so many other concepts off that package." bingo.

Turn7
09-22-06, 01:48 PM
Miami Dolphins

Insomniac
09-22-06, 01:54 PM
I'd say this about killing qb's, VY: 6'4" 235'ish, shawne merriman had a clean shot at him last week & has 30-40 pounds on him and basically dropped to his ankles before dragging him down. VY always had an ability to avoid the huge hit, never saw him decleated. Vick's small and has an injury history. But, for once in his life Whitlock has a good point, I'd have to agree with the two of you...

Culpepper is a huge guy too, and look what has happened to him. RBs are big and they have short careers compared to other positions. I think there's a reason why QBs and Kickers last really long in the NFL. If you never learn to become a pocket passer, your career as a QB is going to be shorter in the NFL. It's too much punishment on the body.

Also, I think it was not only speed that limits the option in the NFL, but it is also the exposure to your QB. You can't have a guy getting paid 10-15M/yr taking those huge hits. He'd get killed out there.

Al Czervik
09-22-06, 01:55 PM
New England

Ankf00
09-22-06, 02:09 PM
Culpepper is a huge guy too, and look what has happened to him. RBs are big and they have short careers compared to other positions. I think there's a reason why QBs and Kickers last really long in the NFL. If you never learn to become a pocket passer, your career as a QB is going to be shorter in the NFL. It's too much punishment on the body.
great point, we all agree it can't be a base play or base philosophy, but if you're rushing out of the shotgun (which can be done if your name isn't Jack Pardee) it adds a nice wrinkle with a 4.3-4.4 guy w/ jukes who can throw

Also, I think it was not only speed that limits the option in the NFL, but it is also the exposure to your QB. You can't have a guy getting paid 10-15M/yr taking those huge hits. He'd get killed out there.
yep. the only reason option's successful in college is you have a big, strong, sturdy qb who's the fastest guy on the team... accuracy or arm need not apply :gomer:

skaven
09-22-06, 08:22 PM
Can I change my pick to BYE over the Raiders??? :gomer:

Dvdb
09-23-06, 08:44 AM
Eagles this week

Insomniac
09-23-06, 02:37 PM
Washington (I'll change this if Portis is inactive)

Insomniac
09-23-06, 02:40 PM
Just a friendly reminder.

The following people have yet to make a pick and have 0 losses:
Lizzerd
Racing Truth
TKAngel

People eliminated (one or more losses) who haven't made a pick:
racermike
Spicoli
IlliniRacer
indyfan31
Opposite Lock
Ronbo
Tony George

People who re-used a pick:
racer2c (BAL)

Lizzerd
09-23-06, 02:54 PM
Just a friendly reminder.

The following people have yet to make a pick and have 0 losses:
Lizzerd
Racing Truth
TKAngel

People eliminated (one or more losses) who haven't made a pick:
racermike
Spicoli
IlliniRacer
indyfan31
Opposite Lock
Ronbo
Tony George

People who re-used a pick:
racer2c (BAL)

See post #14. :D

Baltimore looks like the safest pick this week. I'll take 'em too.

racer2c
09-23-06, 02:55 PM

I'm not a biologist. :) :cry:

Insomniac
09-23-06, 02:58 PM

Got it. :)

TKGAngel
09-23-06, 04:36 PM
Baltimore (aka who'sever playing Cleveland).

Gangrel
09-24-06, 09:16 AM
Gooooooooooooooo Philly! :D

Racing Truth
09-24-06, 12:07 PM
Sorry, been busy.

Washington Redskins.

Why? They play Houston.;)

dando
09-24-06, 04:17 PM
Who Dey! :D

We dey my ass. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Ankf00
09-24-06, 04:25 PM
and yet?

http://www.steelers-fan.com/cowhersuper.jpg

:gomer:

dando
09-24-06, 04:46 PM
<bandwagon du jour>

:gomer:

-Kevin

Ankf00
09-24-06, 05:02 PM
do you ever come up with your own stuff? now you're borrowing from what cork always calls you out for :laugh: that's after we move beyond me not caring much about the leeeeg beyond college players, NYG, & Dallas sucking :gomer:

on another note, if Joe Buck ends up calling BCS bowls next year, well, I'm going to end up on death row :saywhat:

dando
09-24-06, 05:34 PM
do you ever come up with your own stuff? now you're borrowing from what cork always calls you out for :laugh:

Oh yeah, I pattern myself after Cork. :shakehead :saywhat:

-Kevin

dando
09-24-06, 05:37 PM
on another note, if Joe Buck ends up calling BCS bowls next year, well, I'm going to end up on death row :saywhat:

Yer safe for now:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/tv/la-sp-tvcol1sep01,1,5048934.column?coll=la-entnews-tv

-Kevin

devilmaster
09-24-06, 06:25 PM
0-16. I Believe.

http://www.mnsi.net/~smicalef/baghead.gif

Sean O'Gorman
09-24-06, 07:07 PM
And you laughed at me for taking Green Bay. Can't use them much, but at least I chose wisely. :)

extramundane
09-24-06, 07:27 PM
http://altura.speedera.net/ccimg.catalogcity.com/210000/214300/214392/Products/7783170.jpg

Awesome job, guys.

devilmaster
09-24-06, 07:50 PM
And you laughed at me for taking Green Bay. Can't use them much, but at least I chose wisely. :)

ummm.. check the post again. didn't laugh, was surprised.

if the lions were going to win any games this season, this would be the one.

Racing Truth
09-24-06, 08:05 PM
http://altura.speedera.net/ccimg.catalogcity.com/210000/214300/214392/Products/7783170.jpg

Awesome job, guys.

:irked: That hurt, really hurt. Thought we had it.

IlliniRacer
09-24-06, 08:23 PM
Dear Kurt Warner,

Thank you for a unforgettable 1999 Season and Super Bowl. Also, thanks for the win today. :)

Sincerely,
Rams Fans

nrc
09-24-06, 11:57 PM
and yet?

http://www.steelers-fan.com/cowhersuper.jpg

:gomer:http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000008H1V.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Ankf00
09-25-06, 01:07 AM
yea, defending champions, how passe :laugh:

Insomniac
09-25-06, 08:23 AM
yea, defending champions, how passe :laugh:

They don't get a free pass to SB XLI because they won SB XL. :)

Ohhh, and Shanahan owns Belichick.

Sean O'Gorman
09-25-06, 08:42 AM
if the lions were going to win any games this season, this would be the one.

I had the same thoughts regarding the Packers. ;)

Ankf00
09-25-06, 12:31 PM
They don't get a free pass to SB XLI because they won SB XL. :)

Ohhh, and Shanahan owns Belichick.

true, but they get to talk mad s*** until then. :)

Insomniac
09-25-06, 03:08 PM
true, but they get to talk mad s*** until then. :)

Ahhh, they're easy enough to side track, just mention the officiating. ;)

Ankf00
09-25-06, 03:26 PM
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/Mjarvis425/SuperBowlRef.jpg

nrc
09-26-06, 07:27 PM
http://assets.bengals.com/assets/default/si060926_225w.jpg

dando
09-26-06, 08:05 PM
http://assets.bengals.com/assets/default/si060926_225w.jpg

NHL preview? :gomer: I'm amazed @ how the Bengals/Steelers is billed as a new rivalry. :confused: Anyone who sez that doesn't have a clue about the Bengals/Steelers in the 70s and early 80s. I still clearly recall the 'no catch' by Archie in the snow @ Riverfront against the Steelers in '77 or '78, with the Bengals fighting for a playoff spot. :mad:

-Kevin

Insomniac
09-27-06, 07:03 AM
NHL preview? :gomer: I'm amazed @ how the Bengals/Steelers is billed as a new rivalry. :confused: Anyone who sez that doesn't have a clue about the Bengals/Steelers in the 70s and early 80s. I still clearly recall the 'no catch' by Archie in the snow @ Riverfront against the Steelers in '77 or '78, with the Bengals fighting for a playoff spot. :mad:

-Kevin

It stops being a rivalry when one team sucks for a while. ;)

Stu
09-27-06, 07:30 AM
It stops being a rivalry when one team sucks for a while. ;)

Exactly. I wouldn't say the Browns/Steelers rivalry is at that point yet, since their history goes back to the pre Superbowl era. But it could get that way if we are still the worst team in football 5-10 years from now.