PDA

View Full Version : Peraltada In, Stadium Out

NismoZ
09-19-06, 08:46 AM
AR1 report from Mexico City says CC will use the entire Peraltada curve this year (with a prior chicane to slow entry) My guess is with few fans using the baseball stadium why go to the expense of opening it up? Cost saving move I'd guess.

pchall
09-19-06, 10:36 AM
AR1 report from Mexico City says CC will use the entire Peraltada curve this year (with a prior chicane to slow entry) My guess is with few fans using the baseball stadium why go to the expense of opening it up? Cost saving move I'd guess.

The Busch cars ran around the outside of the stadium, too, and probably for the same reason.

Too bad about the chicane, but I suppose modern sensibilities preclude running a single seater full tilt into what would be a 160+ mph 180º radius turn.

formulaben
09-19-06, 05:30 PM
The Busch cars ran around the outside of the stadium, too, and probably for the same reason.

Too bad about the chicane, but I suppose modern sensibilities preclude running a single seater full tilt into what would be a 160+ mph 180º radius turn.

Disappointed. My 2 cents: no chicane and let's showcase the talent.

indyfan31
09-19-06, 09:48 PM
Does this make the course any longer?

Insomniac
09-19-06, 10:39 PM
Have chicanes primarily been added to courses (F1 and CCWS) because of the lack of runoff?

gpflepsen
09-19-06, 10:44 PM
Does this make the course any longer?

From the points of deviation for the stadium section, new section is about 22% shorter.

chop456
09-20-06, 04:44 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2g1yrGputA

Modern sensibilities can cram it. :gomer:

grungex
09-20-06, 09:25 AM
Holy crap!

Wheel-Nut
09-20-06, 09:29 AM

That was a time in racing when men were men and sheep were scared!!

Kick A$$ clip.

formulaben
09-20-06, 11:53 AM
Have chicanes primarily been added to courses (F1 and CCWS) because of the lack of runoff?

...and lack of sac.

Insomniac
09-20-06, 01:35 PM
It seems like they would rather put in a chicane than lengthen the run off.

rabbit
09-20-06, 05:42 PM
There is no where to add runoff there. As I understand it, there is a railroad track or a bunch of buildings or something right outside the turn.

tifosi77
09-29-06, 05:20 PM
In one way or another, yes. In some cases - like Tamburello at Imola - there is no physical space to accommodate a larger runoff. (There's a river that runs right behind the track there) So they drop in a chicane over the original corner to slow the cars down. In other cases - Monza, for example - chicanes are added long before the really fast corners to slow the approach so the existing runoffs are adequate.

In the case of Peraltada, it is a combination of factors. There's a road/highway or something directly on the outside of the corner, so the runoff cannot be expanded. But more importantly, the construction of the baseball stadium as turned Peraltada into a blind corner. You can't see the exit from the entry, and it just so happens that pit entrance is immediately adjacent to the corner exit. So without a chicane, you'd have a 170mph blind corner 3/4 of the way around might have cars slowing down on the racing line to make the pit entry. Eek.

Believe me, I'd much rather they ran without a chicane. But I just don't think it's practical with the stadium there. One interesting thing about a chicane - it could potentially make the corner flat the whole way around. That might add some value. :)

I was never a Mansell fan, but he was frickin' amazing when it came to overtaking. In a career that had many fine moves, this one stands out, imo, as perhaps his best ever.

Gerhard had to be thinking "What the hell?!"