PDA

View Full Version : Dutch-Chinese Ho-Pin Tung...

NismoZ
09-17-06, 02:50 PM
Could there be a better fit in ChampCar and Atlantics than a Dutch-Chinese German F-3 Champion!? One driver, 3 countries, all in the '07 schedule. Make sure he has an Atlantic ride next season (will they even do the Asian/European rounds?) then bring him to CC in '08. Maybe get him a test in a CC to see if we can "pull a Legge" and get him right to the top. I think it'd be worth the effort before Europe decides to just hang on to him and exploit the obvious advantages of promoting such a driver.

Dr. Corkski
09-17-06, 05:35 PM
I am sure he is a perfect fit except for the being fast part.

Yes I know who he is. Let's bring in Marchy Lee while we are at it, at least he has a funky name.

NismoZ
09-17-06, 06:49 PM
Say, that's just the sort of serious and deep thinking CC needs to build it's fan base in hosting countries. I'm sure the testing and development of driving talent still has a place in the series. I wish ONLY the fastest got the rides but I'm not holding my breath. Better CC competes for personalities that can help the series prosper than just let the competition have them. Howard was a perfect example. We missed him once. I hope that doesn't happen again.

extramundane
09-17-06, 06:57 PM
Say, that's just the sort of serious and deep thinking CC needs to build it's fan base in hosting countries.

Perhaps they should consider similar serious and deep thinking to build its fan base in the country which hosts the most races.

Dr. Corkski
09-17-06, 07:01 PM
Yes, because you don't need talent to drive a Champ Car, and throwing someone in an Atlantics car will magically grant them Champ Car level talent.

Dr. Corkski
09-17-06, 07:02 PM
Perhaps they should consider similar serious and deep thinking to build its fan base in the country which hosts the most races.Xenophobe. :gomer:

cameraman
09-17-06, 07:17 PM
Odd that you post that Tung is slow on the very same weekend that he finishes second and first at the Salzburgring races.:rolleyes:

He is in first place in the championship.
He is beating his teammate.
He has nine podiums with seven wins in 18 starts.
His worst finish of the year has been a 7th.

I don't care that Recaro F3 isn't the absolute pinnacle of motorsport I fail to see how a .500 podium average means that he isn't quick enough to be worthy of an Atlantics ride.:irked:

Sean O'Gorman
09-17-06, 08:44 PM
I am sure he is a perfect fit except for the being fast part.

Yes I know who he is.

Related?

extramundane
09-17-06, 10:09 PM
Xenophobe. :gomer:

And how. Imma start my own series using old Atlantic chassis, American drivers, and low budgets. Ain't nobody thought of that yet. :tony:

NismoZ
09-17-06, 11:04 PM
I think the SCCA has that one covered.

Easy
09-18-06, 11:18 AM
Perhaps they should consider similar serious and deep thinking to build its fan base in the country which hosts the most races.

Why would they want to do that when there are literally dozens of Euro fans clamoring to watch Katherine Legge work her magic at a Dutch motorcycle track or a German racing school circuit?

NismoZ
10-01-06, 06:03 PM
Looking better and better. Just won 2 more.

NismoZ
10-01-06, 06:19 PM
Reading where the South China Post quotes Tung's "spokeswoman" as saying, "Yes we are talking to ChampCar about a possible move to the United States but no substantial agreement is in place yet." Says, "It is likely he will drive for one of the 12 teams." Be a good move, I think. For both.

Dr. Corkski
10-01-06, 06:30 PM
Why would they want to do that when there are literally dozens of Euro fans clamoring to watch Katherine Legge work her magic at a Dutch motorcycle track or a German racing school circuit?Drivers that take 3 years to do anything in the 3rd tier of a 2nd tier junior category are all the rage in Europe, as witnessed by the massive success of the past Recaro F3 Cup winners.

cameraman
10-01-06, 06:42 PM
12 teams?

I'd much rather see him in the Atlantics. Jumping from a ~200 hp na 4-banger straight into a Champ Car seems to be a bit too great of a leap.

cameraman
10-01-06, 06:48 PM
Drivers that take 3 years to do anything in the 3rd tier of a 2nd tier junior category are all the rage in Europe, as witnessed by the massive success of the past Recaro F3 Cup winners.Yeah Michael Schumacher was a total failure:rolleyes:

Dr. Corkski
10-01-06, 07:08 PM
Yeah Michael Schumacher was a total failure:rolleyes:Yeah totally. He only won it when it was still a legitimately competitive 2nd tier junior category and didn't completely suck balls at Macau. I am surprised Benetton chose him over Giovanna Amati back in 92.

Fio1
10-01-06, 07:09 PM
Bet you we see this guy in a Spyker pretty soon! There is a lot of money in China, and I'm sure they are dying to get a Chinese driver in F1.......

cameraman
10-02-06, 02:17 AM
That would be idiotic. He is the European equivalent of a Star Mazda driver. He is winning his series and ought to get a ride in GP2 or the Atlantics to prove himself (despite what Corkski thinks) but sticking him in F1 or CCWS because of his checkbook balance is pure ride buying stupidity. This all or nothing attitude is bull****.

NismoZ
10-02-06, 10:46 AM
True...unless it works.

NismoZ
10-02-06, 10:49 AM
So do we regard Senna as a Star Mazda guy too?

Easy
10-02-06, 11:06 AM
Ho-Pin lost his best competition when Joey Foster broke his back (in a Lola F3 chassis NOT Dallara:p ) at Lausitz. Foster was ahead on race wins at that point I think.

Foster is going to be fine by the way.

NismoZ
10-02-06, 06:18 PM
Did I hear the new Cooper Series F-Ford 2000 will be using the F-3 chassis? Dallara? With a beefed up 2.0 Zetec engine

Easy
10-03-06, 11:09 AM
Did I hear the new Cooper Series F-Ford 2000 will be using the F-3 chassis? Dallara? With a beefed up 2.0 Zetec engine

Yes, F306 and tweaks to the Zetec to up the juice and fit under the Dallara cowl.

Calling it a Dallara FF07 USA, not using the name F3 anywhere.

extramundane
10-03-06, 11:18 AM
Yes, F306 and tweaks to the Zetec to up the juice and fit under the Dallara cowl.

Calling it a Dallara FF07 USA, not using the name F3 anywhere.

Goddamn Dallara backbre...ah, screw it. My heart's not in it anymore.

Easy
10-03-06, 02:23 PM
Goddamn Dallara backbre...ah, screw it. My heart's not in it anymore.

They briefly considered calling it the Dallara BBPOS 07 USA but it seemed too busy. Its going to be primarily a CART street race loser machine anyway.

NismoZ
10-03-06, 04:56 PM
Interested, though...where will that likely put the Cooper Series in relation to other FF cars, BMW, Mazda etc. Any change? Are there horse power figures which might indicate what rung of the ladder each is? Hinchcliffe seems to have stepped from a 300hp Atlantic car to a 550 hp A1 machine with no difficulty at all. I know downforce is a big factor but aren't those Swifts as fast as those V-8 Lolas? As negative as many seem to be toward A1, driver skill must count for an awful lot as they must move around a lot and be tough to drive. (?) Seems to be a good off-season gig to me, even for the experienced.

Easy
10-04-06, 11:59 AM
Interested, though...where will that likely put the Cooper Series in relation to other FF cars, BMW, Mazda etc. Any change? Are there horse power figures which might indicate what rung of the ladder each is? Hinchcliffe seems to have stepped from a 300hp Atlantic car to a 550 hp A1 machine with no difficulty at all. I know downforce is a big factor but aren't those Swifts as fast as those V-8 Lolas? As negative as many seem to be toward A1, driver skill must count for an awful lot as they must move around a lot and be tough to drive. (?) Seems to be a good off-season gig to me, even for the experienced.

The Cooper Series will be as fast or faster than Star Mazda on twistier tracks and slower at places like Road Am and Road ATL. FBMW's are already slower than the current Cooper Series cars.

Star Mazda is king on HP at 260 but the chassis aren't as quick as an F3 so the Cooper Dallara's should be faster in corners and under braking, Star Mazdas better on straights.

The ladder doesn't exist anymore, drivers just go where they can afford to or feel they are getting the best deal. If you have done FBMW, Cooper or Mazda and can afford Atlantics, you just go. Someone will take your money.

NismoZ
10-04-06, 03:56 PM
That makes sense, I just hope Atlantic/CC can recognize the best from each group and help them along. I have great expectations for guys like Rahal and Matos and even Marco, if he can somehow avoid all The Split nastiness. It is so much fun to follow the kids (Hildebrand, White, Wickens, Kimball?) and watch them grow to success. I think the openwheel future actually looks pretty good.