PDA

View Full Version : Uruguayan Street Race?

CheeverFan
09-17-06, 01:23 PM
I hijacked CheeverFan's login to share some info I got over the email. My parents emigrated from Montevideo in the late 50s, but we still have a lot of friends and family in Uruguay with whom we keep in touch. I have a cousin (mom's sister's son) who's a city planner in Punta del Este, a resort town in the Uruguayan province ("departamento") of Maldonado, otherwise known alternatively as the South of France/Monte Carlo of South America.

Anyway, he tells me that the mayor has had discussions with associates of Emerson Fitipaldi regarding the possibility of a Champ Car race on the streets of Punta. He was asked to write a memo explaining the permit process for such an event. He said that there is no "permit process" for such a thing, so he will have to come up with one. The public works department has also been directed to provide an engineering report to evaluate which streets meet, or could meet, certain "criteria."

Here's a sat. image of Punta del Este:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=punta+del+este,+maldonado,+uruguay&ie=UTF8&z=15&ll=-34.951312,-54.936233&spn=0.015512,0.033302&t=k&om=1

FWIW

SteveH
09-17-06, 02:24 PM
Link doesn't work.

CheeverFan
09-17-06, 04:02 PM
should work now. thanks.

racer2c
09-17-06, 05:30 PM
If I had a dollar for every time I heard Emmo involced with a South American Champ Car street race...I'd have five or six bucks.:)

RusH
09-17-06, 06:33 PM
I had Mate Cocido for breakfast:)