PDA

View Full Version : Friday Night Lights!

Pages : [1] 2

Turn7
09-14-06, 11:48 AM
Texas High School Football. :thumbup:

Since we were snookered into voting for this as a Education Support Center, and it is only 2 miles from the house, H.S. Football is going to be a weekly occurance for me this year.

http://www.cfisd.net/bond/esc/esc3.jpg

Dirty Sanchez
09-14-06, 11:53 AM
jailbait! [/teenchat] :laugh:

Wheel-Nut
09-14-06, 11:59 AM
There are some college teams that would love to have a facility as that!

IlliniRacer
09-14-06, 12:03 PM
There are some college teams that would love to have a facility as that!

And some of those Texas HS teams could be some college teams (See - Illinois, University of)

racer2c
09-14-06, 12:05 PM
I went to five games last year at my daughters high school. Going tomorrow might for their big rivalry game.
I remember my parents always went to the local high school games. Even way back when we lived in Alliance OH. The whole town went to the games.

dando
09-14-06, 12:08 PM
Texas High School Football. :thumbup:

Since we were snookered into voting for this as a Education Support Center, and it is only 2 miles from the house, H.S. Football is going to be a weekly occurance for me this year.

I thought this thread was about the new show on NBC. ;)

-Kevin

dando
09-14-06, 12:10 PM
Even way back when we lived in Alliance OH.

I knew there was something odd about you. ;) HS foosball has always been more popular in N and S oHIo than around these parts. I guess the Buckeyes steal some of the thunder from the local HS teams. :\

-Kevin

Ankf00
09-14-06, 12:14 PM
jailbait! [/teenchat] :laugh:

17's legal age down here man :D

and Cy Fair sucks, go Lake! :p

Wheel-Nut
09-14-06, 12:18 PM
And some of those Texas HS teams could be some college teams (See - Illinois, University of)

$75 million for the facility. 11k seat stadium, 7k seat arena, theater, offices. My tax money hard at work.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/Wheel-Nut/berrycenter9.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/Wheel-Nut/berrycenter2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/Wheel-Nut/berrycenter1.jpg

spinner26
09-14-06, 12:19 PM
I read the book when it first came out and thought wow. Now i see more and more public and private schools alike who treat their athletic programs as good if not better than some colleges do, facilities and otherwise.

Wheel-Nut
09-14-06, 12:20 PM
17's legal age down here man :D

and Cy Fair sucks, go Lake! :p

Clearlake . . . . :laugh:

Ankf00
09-14-06, 12:25 PM
and for anyone who wants to see 2 of the best programs in the south:

Southlake Carroll (TX) plays Evangel (LA) 7:30 CST(i think) on FSN TONIGHT

SLC won the last 2 mythical HS NC's. Mizzou's starting soph QB is from there, and last year's QB is at 'Bama now.

Evangel Christian Academy basically recruits everyone worth a damn in their entire state, so they're always good.

Ankf00
09-14-06, 12:26 PM
Clearlake . . . . :laugh:

when's the last time y'all made the 5A finals, smart guy? :p :tony:

dando
09-14-06, 12:31 PM
and for anyone who wants to see 2 of the best programs in the south:

Southlake Carroll (TX) plays Evangel (LA) 7:30 CST(i think) on FSN TONIGHT

SLC won the last 2 mythical HS NC's. Mizzou's starting soph QB is from there, and last year's QB is at 'Bama now.

Evangel Christian Academy basically recruits everyone worth a damn in their entire state, so they're always good.

Just don't send the weak @ssed Tyler **** up here again. :laugh: :p

-Kevin

racer2c
09-14-06, 12:37 PM
$75 million for the facility. 11k seat stadium, 7k seat arena, theater, offices. My tax money hard at work.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/Wheel-Nut/berrycenter9.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/Wheel-Nut/berrycenter1.jpg

Wait a second...that's a High School?:eek:

Wheel-Nut
09-14-06, 12:43 PM
Actually a school district multi purpose facility. I think Cy-Fair ISD had 5 maybe 6 high schools currently. Several more are planned.

TKGAngel
09-14-06, 12:46 PM
Wait a second...that's a High School?:eek:

I'm in shock right now. How do expenses like that get passed by the taxpayers? :saywhat:

My high school's gym doubled as the gym, auditorium, church (Catholic school) and dance location. Our b-ball team had to go play at another school since the court wasn't regulation size.

racer2c
09-14-06, 12:51 PM
I'm in shock right now. How do expenses like that get passed by the taxpayers? :saywhat:

My high school's gym doubled as the gym, auditorium, church (Catholic school) and dance location. Our b-ball team had to go play at another school since the court wasn't regulation size.

I did two years in a Lutheran private school. The cafeteria was also the gym (had those swing down basketball hoops and fold up bleachers) and auditorium. I got expelled for smoking an illegal substance in the boys room. Parents still pissed.:)

Wheel-Nut
09-14-06, 12:58 PM
when's the last time y'all made the 5A finals, smart guy? :p :tony:

Well youngster, since you asked,

I'm a product of the Aldine ISD. Aldine High School, Class of '85. The school has a long history of football success, including a 5A State Championship in 1990. :thumbup: :D

Wheel-Nut
09-14-06, 01:01 PM

Bonds are voted on and approved. The way they get hidden onthe ballot 9 out 10 voters probably have know clue what they are voting for!

Ankf00
09-14-06, 01:12 PM
Just don't send the weak @ssed Tyler **** up here again.
-Kevin

gee, you beat a 4A team that travelled 1500 miles to play you.

want a cookie? :gomer:

if Herbie had any real balls he'd have invited 5A's Katy Taylor or Southlake Carrol.

Well youngster, since you asked,

I'm a product of the Aldine ISD. Aldine High School, Class of '85. The school has a long history of football success, including a 5A State Championship in 1990.
Aldine :rofl: :p

I'm in shock right now. How do expenses like that get passed by the taxpayers?

to quote Major Applewhite on why he prefers coaching in Texas vs. upstate NY: "The first thing (in recruiting) is you don't get hung up on by the (high school) secretary here, and you get to talk to the coach,'' he said. "The second thing is when I stayed up in the Northeast, I would go to these schools and ask for the coach and he would be working at the post office."

I mean, this is the place where mom's refer to themselves as "Texas cheerleader moms" not generic ol' "soccer moms"... suburban high school sports is another part of being the Joneses...

back in the CL though, we be keepin' it real. Tinker toy aluminum bleacher stadium where it's at, yo.

http://www.ccisd.net/images_05/DistrictLeagueCity.gif

mad stylin'

Turn7
09-14-06, 03:58 PM
Bonds are voted on and approved. The way they get hidden onthe ballot 9 out 10 voters probably have know clue what they are voting for!

It was listed on the referendum as "Educational Support Center. A needed facility for fundamental educational purposes that will encompase all district students."

That turned out to be this boondoggle. It is nice though. :laugh:

You can even have beer in the private suites.:thumbup:

rabbit
09-14-06, 03:58 PM
That's one of the things I miss the most about leaving the newspaper biz for law school. Nothing beat standing on the sidelines with a notepad on a crisp Friday evening. :cool::thumbup:

Ankf00
09-14-06, 04:00 PM

Suites? what a buncha nancies :p

rabbit
09-14-06, 04:01 PM
Ohio state playoff (semis I think) highlight from a couple years ago:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVWVzs9pDno :eek:

RichK
09-14-06, 04:09 PM

Read Friday Night Lights (http://www.amazon.com/Friday-Night-Lights-Team-Dream/dp/0306809907/sr=8-3/qid=1158264528/ref=pd_bbs_3/102-7076405-5160922?ie=UTF8&s=books), it's a great book (even if you're not a football fan). It accurately describes the Texas obsession with high school football. It's similar to the Indiana fetish with HS basketball.

Turn7
09-14-06, 04:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OJWrqGnyc8

Vince Young at Madison.

Tifosi24
09-14-06, 04:49 PM
It was listed on the referendum as "Educational Support Center. A needed facility for fundamental educational purposes that will encompase all district students."

That turned out to be this boondoggle. It is nice though. :laugh:

That is worse than West Des Moines, IA using their local option sales tax money to construct a new stadium. The stadium is sweet but Midwest standards, but likely below average for Texas. The decision burns many in the community because they destroyed their old stadium, which was made by the WPA, to construct an elementary school. The thing is there was a fairly new elementary school just five blocks from the old stadium.

KLang
09-14-06, 05:30 PM
That is worse than West Des Moines, IA using their local option sales tax money to construct a new stadium. The stadium is sweet but Midwest standards, but likely below average for Texas. The decision burns many in the community because they destroyed their old stadium, which was made by the WPA, to construct an elementary school. The thing is there was a fairly new elementary school just five blocks from the old stadium.

Hey, my old stomping grounds. Valley graduate '78. Where are they building the new stadium?

rabbit
09-14-06, 07:40 PM
In nearby Columbus Grove (pop.~2,000) the Clymer brothers, who owned a construction company, built a brand new stadium for the school FREE OF CHARGE. Their only requests were that the stadium be named Clymer Stadium and that they would have their own little "luxury suite."

dando
09-14-06, 07:41 PM
<f00boymode>gee, you beat a 4A team that travelled 1500 miles to play you.

want a cookie? :gomer:

if Herbie had any real balls he'd have invited 5A's Katy Taylor or Southlake Carrol.
</f00boymode>

I'd prefer a beer, thx. :gomer:

-Kevin

racermike
09-14-06, 09:35 PM
Here I grew up in Lake Oswego, Oregon. The richest part of the Portland Metro area, and my HS, Lakeridge, didnt even have its own field!

We had to play at District Field, which was Lake Oswego High School's Home field, on their campus.

Thats Ok though, we kicked everyones ass for 2 years (unfortunately, we went 26-2 in my jun/sen years, with those 2 losses being state championship games)

Tifosi24
09-14-06, 10:00 PM
Hey, my old stomping grounds. Valley graduate '78. Where are they building the new stadium?

Well, I don't know when's the last time you have been back home, so I will do my best to describe its location, because in 1978 I can guaratee it was a corn field. It is next to the new city hall and is probably a mile or so east of the new Jordan Creek Mall and then maybe 1.5 miles west/southwest of Valley Junction, and a mile or so south of the high school. A somewhat vague description but your hometown hasn't conformed to the street numbering system that the whole rest of the Metro area uses, making life confusing ;) .

rabbit
09-15-06, 08:56 AM
http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/15515925.htm

Kirk Herbstreit and Ken Halloy have always believed that the best high school football teams in Ohio could compete with anyone in the country.

Now after a year of planning, they'll finally get to find out.

In what may be the largest national high school football event ever organized, nine teams from Ohio will host nine teams from around the country this weekend in the second annual Kirk Herbstreit Ohio vs. USA Challenge.

Six of the nine visiting teams are in StudentSports.com's Fab 50, as are two of the nine Ohio teams. Four other local teams are in the Ohio AP's top 10 for Division I.

The event takes place over two days at two locations, with the closing game featuring De La Salle taking on Elder-Cincinnati on Saturday night at the University of Cincinnati's Nippert Stadium.

"People are always bragging about who the best is," said Halloy, the director of operations for the Herbstreit Challenge. "We always wondered how Ohio football would stack up against the rest of the country."

Ankf00
09-15-06, 09:14 AM
they're "hosting" teams from all over the country, how gracious of them.

here's a BRILLIANT! idea Herbie, take a representative sample from around the country, and have them play at neutral sites :eek: BRILLIANT!

rabbit
09-15-06, 09:16 AM
they're "hosting" teams from all over the country, how gracious of them.

here's a BRILLIANT! idea Herbie, take a representative sample from around the country, and have them play at neutral sites :eek: BRILLIANT!

You're just sore about this part:

Southlake Carroll, the Texas 5A Division II and mythical national champion in 2004, turned down the offer. But Tyler Lee, the 5A Division I champ, accepted the invitation to play Ohio Division I champion Colerain-Cincinnati in Columbus. A game between two local rivals was added to make it a doubleheader, and the first Herbstreit Challenge was born.

The event was a modest success as more than 10,000 people attended the game, which was seen by a national audience on ESPNU. Colerian also earned bragging rights with a 27-12 victory.:p

KLang
09-15-06, 09:22 AM
Well, I don't know when's the last time you have been back home, so I will do my best to describe its location, because in 1978 I can guaratee it was a corn field. It is next to the new city hall and is probably a mile or so east of the new Jordan Creek Mall and then maybe 1.5 miles west/southwest of Valley Junction, and a mile or so south of the high school. A somewhat vague description but your hometown hasn't conformed to the street numbering system that the whole rest of the Metro area uses, making life confusing ;) .

I lived there until about '98, so I'm familiar with some of that area, I had a house off of E.P. True. Amazing how things have changed over the years. The area west of Houston where I am now is going through a similar expansion.

Ankf00
09-15-06, 09:35 AM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/highschools/topstories/stories/091506dnspohsfront.f46eb4c.html

Southlake Carroll was the national champion the last two years. "Mythical" national champion, of course, because high school playoffs don't cross state boundaries. But even if Carroll is just a mythical national champ, it's a factual national power, columnist Matt Wixon writes. Thursday night was the latest proof of that. Carroll sent Evangel Christian, known for playing the top teams across the nation, back to Louisiana with a humbling 43-16 loss at Dragon Stadium.

w00t, bitches. :tony:

Ankf00
09-15-06, 09:45 AM
You're just sore about this part:
:p

If Ohio's that tough, they can come down here to play. :p

34 straight wins, 3 5A titles, 2 BCS D1A QB's and only 1 single loss, in the title game, since moving up a division 4 years ago has proved everything Southlake Carroll & Todd Dodge needed to.

Evangel visited last night, De La Salle's visiting next year @ SMU's Ford Stadium :cool: (it's small for D1A, but new and very well done).

rabbit
09-15-06, 10:24 AM
If Ohio's that tough, they can come down here to play. :p

Set it up, big boy. If we organize the games, then we get to pick the site. Put it together, give us a call, and we'll be there.

Wheel-Nut
09-15-06, 10:32 AM
OC Texans vs OC o HI ans . . . . set it up!! :tony:

Ankf00
09-15-06, 10:36 AM
Set it up, big boy. If we organize the games, then we get to pick the site. Put it together, give us a call, and we'll be there.

*shrug* Call Todd Dodge or John Outlaw.

You want to play Carroll, fine. Coach Dodge said this week that his team will play anyone.

But his team isn't hitting the road.

"My whole take is, with due respect to all the other programs, I'm not going to take my kids out of state to play," Dodge said. "I just can't see how going to Louisiana or all the way to California to play is good for my kids."

Dodge has already agreed to another made-for-TV game next year against Concord (Calif.) De La Salle. That team will have to make a long trip to prove its mettle against a national power.

Carroll, on the other hand, won't have to travel much farther than Thursday night. The game is scheduled for SMU's Ford Stadium.

The big games, at least against out-of-state teams, will be on Carroll's terms. That's one of the spoils of being a big-time program.

"It's not like we can't find someone to play," Dodge said. "I've got good competition five miles in every direction."

Wheel-Nut
09-15-06, 10:46 AM
Is that the same Todd Dodge from UT, circa mid '80s?

Ankf00
09-15-06, 10:51 AM
Is that the same Todd Dodge from UT, circa mid '80s?

The same Todd Dodge that was treated like utter s*** during his 4 years on the 40 Acres, the same Todd Dodge who through some sort of miracle doesn't seem to harbor any resentment or ill will.

And the same Todd Dodge whose own spread offense system has taken a team from 4A 4 years ago to the 5A title game the past 4 seasons, one of which being his only 5A loss ever.

Yea, it's that Todd Dodge. ;) :) http://www2.hornfans.com/wwwthreads/images/icons/hookem.gif

edit: The same Todd Dodge Bill Parcells wanted to interview this past year too :D

Ankf00
09-15-06, 09:40 PM
4A Texarkana Texas High 31 - 7 Ohio Findlay at the half.

44-7 after 3.

:gomer:

rabbit
09-16-06, 12:59 AM
4A Texarkana Texas High 31 - 7 Ohio Findlay at the half.

44-7 after 3.

:gomer:
Findlay is down this year. They're not even the best team in their conference.

/not making excuses, just sayin'

Ankf00
09-16-06, 12:21 PM
*shrug* just means some random team beat some other random team.

Texas High is pretty stacked, lots of speed & D1 recruits, including Michigan commit Ryan Mallet, lead feet but cannon arm

Ankf00
09-16-06, 12:30 PM
:rofl: just read that Findlay's coach started his own son at QB over Roethlisberger for 3 years. BRILLIANT!

Ankf00
09-17-06, 01:03 PM
Texas High (TX) 44
Findlay (OH) 21

Colerain (OH) 28
Cardinal O’Hara (PA) 0

Byrnes (SC) 21
Moeller (OH) 20

Lakeland (FL) 25
St. Xavier (OH) 22

Don Bosco Prep (NJ) 21
Centerville (OH) 0

De La Salle (CA) 56
Elder (OH) 38

Davidson (OH) 17
St. Joseph’s Prep (PA) 14

St. Edward (OH) 49
Springdale (AR) 3

Massillon (OH) 35
Hamilton (AZ) 26

rabbit
09-17-06, 04:17 PM
:rofl: just read that Findlay's coach started his own son at QB over Roethlisberger for 3 years. BRILLIANT!
In Cliff Hite's defense, his son was a pretty good quarterback. And Roethlisberger was a heckuva wide receiver. So I can't fault him entirely for that decision. When his son finally graduated, Ben got to start his senior year and proceeded to go out and rewrite the record books. I've argued for the last few years that all the time Ben spent at WR is part of what makes him such a good quarterback. He thorougly understands both positions. So in hindsight, Hite may have done him a great favor.

Ankf00
09-17-06, 05:02 PM
The Outsiders win 5-4, you get all these teams to fly halfway across the country to play on your home turf and can't finish it off? what's with that? ;)

Ankf00
09-19-06, 11:37 AM
ruh-roh

North Shore-234082501235324
The Woodlands-1.5

Ankf00
10-09-06, 12:49 AM
District 24
Clear Lake 5 0 0 140 76
Ball 4 1 0 116 83
Clear Creek 2 3 0 93 96
Brazoswood 4 0 0 114 45
Pearland 4 1 0 135 113
Alvin 1 4 0 74 135
Clear Brook 1 4 0 84 162

what up now, lug-nut? :p

Wheel-Nut
10-10-06, 09:51 AM
While my former school isn't doing so good this year my adopted district is doing pretty good.

District 17-5A

Cy-Fair (2) 5 0 2 0
Cy Falls (3) 3 2 2 0
Cy Creek (7) 4 1 1 1
Cy Ridge (4) 3 2 1 1
Jersey Village (6) 2 3 1 1
Strake Jesuit (8) 2 3 1 1
Langham Crk. (5) 3 2 0 2
Cy Springs (1) 1 4 0 2

Wheel-Nut
10-10-06, 10:00 AM
District 24-5A

Clear Crk. (3) 3 3 2 0
Brazoswood (5) 5 0 1 0
Ball (6) 4 1 1 0
Clear Lake (3) 5 1 1 1
Clear Brk. (4) 2 4 1 1
Pearland (1) 4 2 0 2
Alvin (7) 1 5 0 2

Ankf00
10-10-06, 10:12 AM
well if we're calling adopted homes, I get dibs on Highland Park :p

Wheel-Nut
10-10-06, 10:21 AM
You can only call adopted homes when you have kids in the district!! :p

Ankf00
10-10-06, 10:24 AM
You can only call adopted homes when you have kids in the district!! :p

what about dates? :D

Wheel-Nut
10-10-06, 10:29 AM
what about dates? :D

That's between you and their parents!! :laugh:

Ankf00
10-10-06, 10:48 AM
I'm talking SMU, not The O'Gorman Strategy :p

Chronicle's Region III rankings
Class 5A
1. Lufkin
2. North Shore
3. Katy
4. Westfield
5. Humble
6. Klein Forest
7. Lamar
8. Cinco Ranch
9. Beaumont West Brook
10. Cy-Fair
11. Stratford
12. The Woodlands
13. Cypress Creek
14. Clear Lake
15. Ball
16. Pearland
17. Cypress Falls
18. Brazoswood
19. La Porte
20. College Park

edit: highlighting districts 17 & 24... that's 1/3 of the list :thumbup:

Andrew Longman
10-10-06, 01:33 PM
Just curious what the mood is here. Looking at the HS stadiums earlier in this thread, is it more appropriate to spend tax dollars on lavish HS programs or college programs?

My opinion? If you are going to waste a ton of money, do it on the kids. Let anybody sit under friday night lights and watch their kid, grandkid, or neighbor kid in a band, cheerleader or football uniform play in a nice stadium that says they have faith in the kids and the future. If they don't want to pay for it, then they can vote it down.

A new stadium and a seven figure coaching contract for a college? That's a business decision about how to tap into the NCAA money machine and has little to do with the educational mission of the school.

By way of perspective to TX and OH, taxpayers in Jersey pay the highest proprerty taxes in the nation; $10-20K. But there are no lavish HS stadiums that I know of. We had to wash our own uniforms when I was in HS. All that money goes to corruption, excessive administrative costs, small schools and class size and among the highest teacher salaries around.

With all that money being spent that way, little flows (until recently) to college athletics. Hence Rutgers suckus assus for 30 years.

Still NJ is among the top producers of HS blue chip athletes year after year. Franco Harris, Mike Rozier, Ricky Prohl, Shaun OHara, Karreem McKenzie, Troy Vincent, Todd Blackledge (I played one year with him at Princeton HS :gomer: ) John Taylor, Qadre Ishmail, Jim Finn, Raqhib Ishmail, Cory Bird, etc.

That said, I doubt that any city in the country produces more NFL players than Dallas and Houston

Wheel-Nut
10-10-06, 02:09 PM
Houston has 29 and Dallas has 17.

http://www.nflplayers.com/players/search_results.aspx?searchType=HOMETOWN&hometownSearch=houston

Ankf00
10-10-06, 02:13 PM
UT athletics isn't run off of any state tax or University money, but annual donations from the well-heeled alums and the TV/gate/student/merchandise/licensing/advertising revenues on top of your typical estate donations for facilties & scholarship endowments. Most of the successful/funded programs operate this way.

Football, M & W basketball & baseball are all revenue generating here and fund the rest of the department. Replace baseball with hockey and you have your northern schools covered.

The school itself has deregulated tuition, all $$$ from 2M acres of state lands producing oil & gas and minerals (the Perm Uni Fund, UT gets dibs on 67% of the 15B), and the largest state school endowment (5-6B)... back in the day the PUF solely funded UT. Heavily dependent upon research $ & endowments now.

Personally, if the ath dept is pulling in ~100M in annual reveue, I say a large portion of that should flow back to the university for either a faculty or merit scholarship endowment...

Wheel-Nut
10-26-06, 06:30 PM
Lufkin vs. The Woodlands 6pm ESPN2

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/sports/4288621.html

Ankf00
10-26-06, 06:32 PM
This sucks, I'm at work till late...

Galena Park North Shore demolished Woodlands earlier this season, John Outlaw's teams are almost always good, Lufkin has quite a few players in the NFL right now, fyi for you NFL loving yankees :p

Should be a whupping.

Wheel-Nut
10-26-06, 06:46 PM
I expect a blowout . . .

Ankf00
10-26-06, 06:50 PM
Lake lost to Ball by a TD couple weeks back, 2 loss, unranked :(

Ball & Brazoswood sitting at 6-1, Ball w/ tiebreaker, Brazoswood is season finale. Gonna f*** Brazoswood's s*** up. :flame:

Ok, loss to rival by FG, ranked Ball by TD, we're the highest scoring team in district and it's not even close. Unranked in R-III

Meanwhile, Woodlands loses 3 games and is still ranked in R-II :saywhat:

Wheel-Nut
10-26-06, 08:21 PM
9-0 Lufkin at the half.

Ankf00
10-26-06, 08:37 PM
John Outlaw >> spoiled nancyboys living in a HUD funded community :gomer:

Wheel-Nut
10-26-06, 08:51 PM
9-7 Weather delay

Ankf00
10-26-06, 11:10 PM
the game's back on.

meanwhile Southlake Carroll is up on Keller 43-16 at the half

24-7, after 3 quarters "the W" only has 95 yards :laugh:

Wheel-Nut
10-27-06, 09:26 AM
31-7 final. Lufkin came out after the weather delay and and put it to The Woodlands.

Ankf00
10-27-06, 10:37 AM
Dez Bryant is a Tech commit I believe. Not that fast but good hands, he'll fit in well.

ChampcarShark
10-27-06, 10:58 AM
If only the academics where as good as their stadiums. Most High Schools are struggling because their students can not pass the state exit exam.

By the way, this is where my son will be playing next year.

http://programs.sisd.net/athletics/index.html

Wheel-Nut
11-04-06, 10:44 AM
My old school Aldine makes the playoffs for the first time in a bunch of years!!!

Meanwhile I have been following this guy in my adopted district. This kid is the real deal and he is only a junior.

Cy Fair's Sam McGuffie had 12 carries for 270 yards and 5 touchdowns in the first quarter. He finished with 376 rushing yards and eight touchdowns for the night, which pushes his season rushing past 2,000 yards to 2,020.

Ankf00
11-14-06, 03:05 PM
^^^ well everyone qualifies for the playoffs this year, even 4-6 Clear Creek did :saywhat: Lake dropped their final 3 games to have 4 conference losses :saywhat: :(

in other news, Todd Dodge is going to replace Darrell Dickey at UNT, so much for that Southlake Carroll powerhouse :gomer:

Spicoli
11-18-06, 07:53 AM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061118/SPORTS0202/611180500/1004/SPORTS

Well, its off to the state finals AGAIN for me alma mater. :thumbsup:

COLUMBUS, Ind. -- In a contest billed as a battle of one of the state's top offenses against one of its top defenses, the Cathedral High School defense won Friday night.

In a big way.
Setting the tone with the first of four sacks on the first play from scrimmage, consistently bringing heavy pressure and forcing three turnovers, the Class 4A fifth-ranked Irish also mixed in a dose of their offense to blast No. 6 Columbus East 37-6 for a semistate championship at Stafford Field.
The semistate title was the seventh for Cathedral (12-2), which advances to the state finals for the ninth time. It will go for its sixth state title against No. 2 Concord (14-0) at 3:30 p.m. Nov. 25 in the RCA Dome.

Saaahweeet. :D

Lizzerd
11-18-06, 01:07 PM
I went to Columbus East HS. :(

Wheel-Nut
11-18-06, 01:14 PM
Sam McGuffie highlight . . . can you say . . .owned?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eygKqRMd94U&mode=related&search=

Ankf00
11-18-06, 01:45 PM
pwn3d :laugh:

Spicoli
11-18-06, 03:39 PM

That's ****ing AWESOME!:thumbup: :laugh:

Spicoli
11-25-06, 12:53 PM
http://i10.tinypic.com/2zimseq.jpg

At 3:30 we roll in the RCA Dome for the state championship game. :D wooo000t! Mys ister called an said folks have been tailgating since 8am. :beers:

CATHEDRAL IRISH FOOTBALL 2006
CATHEDRAL Overall Team Statistics (as of Nov 18, 2006)
All games

TEAM STATISTICS IRISH OPP
--------------------------------------------------------
SCORING....................... 466 125
Points Per Game............. 33.3 8.9
FIRST DOWNS................... 210 157
Rushing..................... 144 78
Passing..................... 54 62
Penalty..................... 12 17
RUSHING YARDAGE............... 3269 1344
Yards gained rushing........ 3532 1788
Yards lost rushing.......... 263 444
Rushing Attempts............ 536 456
Average Per Rush............ 6.1 2.9
Average Per Game............ 233.5 96.0
TDs Rushing................. 45 9
PASSING YARDAGE............... 1274 1632
Att-Comp-Int................ 138-75-2 252-106-20
Average Per Pass............ 9.2 6.5
Average Per Catch........... 17.0 15.4
Average Per Game............ 91.0 116.6
TDs Passing................. 15 7
TOTAL OFFENSE................. 4543 2976
Total Plays................. 674 708
Average Per Play............ 6.7 4.2
Average Per Game............ 324.5 212.6
KICK RETURNS: #-YARDS......... 22-400 67-1232
PUNT RETURNS: #-YARDS......... 43-428 14-95
INT RETURNS: #-YARDS.......... 20-195 2-41
KICK RETURN AVERAGE........... 18.2 18.4
PUNT RETURN AVERAGE........... 10.0 6.8
INT RETURN AVERAGE............ 9.8 20.5
FUMBLES-LOST.................. 28-13 30-15
PENALTIES-YARDS............... 75-659 58-528
Average Per Game............ 47.1 37.7
PUNTS-YARDS................... 38-1154 70-2066
Average Per Punt............ 30.4 29.5
Net punt average............ 27.9 23.4
TIME OF POSSESSION/GAME....... 24:16 24:04
3RD-DOWN CONVERSIONS.......... 60/128 46/163
3rd-Down Pct................ 47% 28%
4TH-DOWN CONVERSIONS.......... 6/16 14/31
4th-Down Pct................ 38% 45%
SACKS BY-YARDS................ 40-245 19-90
MISC YARDS.................... 87 14
TOUCHDOWNS SCORED............. 65 17
FIELD GOALS-ATTEMPTS.......... 6-8 3-3
PAT-ATTEMPTS.................. 56-62 12-15
ATTENDANCE.................... 22971 24881
Games/Avg Per Game.......... 5/4594 7/3554
Neutral Site Games.......... 2/2522

SCORE BY QUARTERS 1st 2nd 3rd 4th Total
-------------------- --- --- --- --- ---
CATHEDRAL........... 124 156 85 101 - 466
Opponents........... 10 33 34 48 - 125

Spicoli
11-25-06, 08:23 PM
http://i10.tinypic.com/2rwt168.jpg

38-14 We are STATE CHAMPS for the SIXTH time! :D

http://freewebdesign.be/webdesign/banners/anim/anim009.gif

Ankf00
12-12-06, 01:54 PM
Well, good news for everyone not living in Southlake. Todd Dodge is all but signed, sealed, and delivered for UNT as the new head coach.

Meanwhile, State Semis & Finals this weekend. Big school 5A rich nancies from Southlake Carroll vs. rich hillbillies from Allen & those rich nancies from Austin Westlake vs. hillbillies from Pearland, District 24 representin'!1one :D

small school 5a Cedar Hill vs. Garland & SA MacArthur vs. Wheel-Nut & T7's district rep Cy Falls http://www2.hornfans.com/wwwthreads/images/icons/hookem.gif

Wheel-Nut
12-12-06, 02:02 PM
Pearland knocked out the other CF ISD rep, Cy-Fair.

Ankf00
12-12-06, 02:28 PM
where's McGuffie going to? Whitaker should be signing with us come February :cool:

Wheel-Nut
12-12-06, 02:32 PM
McGuffie is a jr.!!

Ankf00
12-12-06, 03:09 PM
damn. :eek:

edit: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/highschool/12/12/power.rankings/index.html

SI's mythical national rankings.

It's a joke that both Euless Trinity & SLC are ranked in there, yet they had to meet in the 2nd round of playoffs :saywhat: SLC 22-21 Euless Trinity

Ankf00
12-14-06, 02:35 PM

I just read on hornfans that the utility bill for that thing was $40K in its first month, and that the former superintendent responsible is now an executive at the contracting co. that built the entire facility. Malfeasance? naaaa...

Wheel-Nut
12-14-06, 04:54 PM
damn. :eek:

edit: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/highschool/12/12/power.rankings/index.html

SI's mythical national rankings.

It's a joke that both Euless Trinity & SLC are ranked in there, yet they had to meet in the 2nd round of playoffs :saywhat: SLC 22-21 Euless Trinity

Where's Hoover, Alabama?

Wheel-Nut
12-14-06, 04:55 PM
I just read on hornfans that the utility bill for that thing was $40K in its first month, and that the former superintendent responsible is now an executive at the contracting co. that built the entire facility. Malfeasance? naaaa...

Things that make you go Hmmmm. . . . . $40k . . . they need to put locks on the thermostats!!

Ankf00
12-14-06, 05:32 PM
Where's Hoover, Alabama?

#14 Prattville (Prattville, Ala.) (15-0) -- Season over
Last Game: Defeated then-No. 11 Hoover, 35-21, in the Class 6A state championship.

Turn7
12-15-06, 10:25 AM

Dr. Anthony has been the superintendant during this entire project so, I think that may be a false statement.

Ankf00
12-15-06, 01:55 PM
I misquoted, it was a former superintendent named "Berry" and he's a consultant for that construction company supposedly.

Funny thing about the auditorium complex ... first month it opened in August - their electric and maintenance bill was $40,000. No one expected that. The uproar over the whole complex is because Berry, the former Superintendent that spearheaded the building, now works as a consultant for the company that won the contract to build it.

Factoid: there are as many people residing in CFISD as the entire City of Austin. They even follow the same growth projections
http://forums.hornfans.com/php/wwwthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=stands&Number=4629980&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=all

didn't realize cy-fair was 3rd biggest ISD in-state behind Dallas & Houston :eek:

Ankf00
12-16-06, 10:58 PM
Southlake vs. Westlake at the Alamo Bowl for '06 5A big school title. The battle of the rich & the spoiled. One things for sure, 99% of the state hates one if not both of the schools :D

Todd Dodge 63-3 Westlake

Ankf00
12-17-06, 05:58 PM
Alamo Heights crushes Copperas Cove for big school 4A semi at the Alamo Bowl. Lamar Consolidated up next

5a big school & small school title games to be shown next Saturday on Fox Southwest.

Wheel-Nut
12-18-06, 11:42 AM
Cy-Fair ISD is being represented by Cy-Falls. Cy Falls will play Cedar Hill.

Ankf00
12-20-06, 03:21 PM
cy-falls & cedar hill both have larger UIL enrollment numbers than either westlake or southlake. :rolleyes: they need to institute 6A or go back to 2 or 3 teams from a district qualifying, none of this 4 team b.s.

blueroom.att.com/sports will be streaming small school 4A title game, La Marque going for their 5th state title vs. Wac(k)o.

ferrarigod
12-20-06, 03:43 PM

go white boy, go white boy, go!

:cool:

Ankf00
12-23-06, 08:54 PM
Cedar Hill absolutely obliterates Cy-Falls 51-17 for 5A "small school" title, 31-10 at the half :shakehead speed kills.

Liberty Hill pulls out 3A small school vs. Celina, my buddy's pretty stoked b/c of that one, went to Waco to see it

LaMarque brings in Houston's only title in 2 years, their 5th overall, 4A small school over Waco, 34-14

FSN: Southlake about to stomp a mudhole in Westlake for 5A big school title, the Martini Bowl, or maybe it's the Daimler Bowl, or the "blonde bowl" since everyone seems to have dyed hair... Todd Dodge's son qb'ing for SLC.