PDA

View Full Version : OC NFL Eliminator Pool - Week 2 - Get Picks in by 1:00 PM ET, Sun 9/17

Insomniac
09-12-06, 04:03 PM
This is the Off Camber NFL Eliminator Pool thread for Week 2.

Rules:

Pick the winner of one game this week.
If you are right, you move on to the next week.
If you are wrong, you are eliminated.
You can only use a team once the entire season (e.g. You choose the Falcons for Week 1, that means you can not choose the Falcons again another week.)
The winner is the last man or woman standing.

How to enter:

Submit your entry by posting in this thread.
Your pick must be in before the start time for the first game of the week. (1:00 PM ET, Sun 9/17 for Week 2)
Any edits to your post after this time will result in disqualification.
If you make multiple picks in the same week, your last pick before the deadline will be used.

Insomniac
09-12-06, 04:04 PM
Current Standings

25% of the people were eliminated in Week 1.

Still Alive:
Al Czervik (PHI)
Ankf00 (PHI)
dando (ARI)
devilmaster (SEA)
Dr. Corkski (SEA)
Dvdb (ARI)
extramundane (PHI)
FTG (NE)
Gangrel (CHI)
greenie (ARI)
Insomniac (SEA)
Lizzerd (SEA)
nrc (SEA)
racermike (NE)
Racing Truth (NE)
skaven (SD)
Spicoli (IND)
TKAngel (PHI)
Turn7 (NYJ)
WickerBill (NE)
Willam (NE)

Eliminated - 1 Loss - Week 1:
IlliniRacer (CAR)
indyfan31 (SF)
Opposite Lock (GB)
racer2c (DEN)
Ronbo (CAR)
Sean O'Gorman (TB)
Stu (MIA)

Insomniac
09-12-06, 04:05 PM
For your convenience, here are this weeks games:

Buffalo at Miami
Carolina at Minnesota
Cleveland at Cincinnati
Detroit at Chicago
Houston at Indianapolis
New Orleans at Green Bay
N.Y. Giants at Philadelphia
Oakland at Baltimore
Tampa Bay at Atlanta
Arizona at Seattle
St. Louis at San Francisco
Kansas City at Denver
New England at N.Y. Jets
Tennessee at San Diego
Washington at Dallas
Pittsburgh at Jacksonville

Insomniac
09-12-06, 04:08 PM
Also, for those of you eliminated. You can keep picking and I'll keep track. We'll figure out what to do later.

nrc
09-12-06, 04:15 PM
Who Dey!

Looks like the best week to pick the Bengals. :thumbup:

dando
09-12-06, 04:22 PM
BMore.

-Kevin

Dr. Corkski
09-12-06, 04:24 PM
Colts.

skaven
09-12-06, 04:42 PM
Baltimore... I'll just keep picking against Da Raiders ! ! !

Thanks for running this Insomniac.

Willam
09-12-06, 04:50 PM
Baltimore.

dando
09-12-06, 04:52 PM

Eventually you'll hafta change that strategerie. ;)

-Kevin

Spicoli
09-12-06, 04:52 PM
Baltimore Colts, now living in Indy.

:weshouldhaveourownteamname:

dando
09-12-06, 04:57 PM

The Gomers? The Clabber Girls? The FTGs? The South Domers? :gomer:

-Kevin

Ankf00
09-12-06, 05:02 PM
San Diego

WickerBill
09-12-06, 06:54 PM
Chargers.

Insomniac
09-12-06, 07:09 PM
Eventually you'll hafta change that strategerie. ;)

-Kevin

Alternate with Houston. :)

Insomniac
09-12-06, 07:12 PM

If that's your pick, you can't take Indy again.

I will try to go through all the picks some time Saturday and note who may've picked the same team again and give you a chance to fix it. But in the end, it's on you. :)

Insomniac
09-12-06, 07:13 PM

Sure thing. It will be fun.

Opposite Lock
09-12-06, 07:14 PM

The Tenderloins?

The Pigodas?

The 497s?

RacinM3
09-12-06, 07:27 PM
Is it too late to get in on this? If I'm treated just like one of the eliminated, can I get in?

If so, I'll take Denver

FTG
09-12-06, 07:30 PM
Colts.

extramundane
09-12-06, 08:49 PM
Nawlins Saints.

racer2c
09-12-06, 10:19 PM

Me too, you can't lose!

Bawltimoor for me in the losers bracket.

Stu
09-12-06, 10:49 PM
Also, for those of you eliminated. You can keep picking and I'll keep track. We'll figure out what to do later.

ok....Nawlins

greenie
09-13-06, 12:23 AM
Denver, even though they tanked last weekend.

I don't see Trent Green waking up and guiding the Chiefs to victory at Mile High. Even if he was awake, they would still lose because they suck.

Ankf00
09-13-06, 11:09 AM
What's the deal with Bobby Carpenter? He was supposed to be the ideal fit for OLB in the Cowboy's D, he's not on active roster? :confused:

dando
09-13-06, 12:25 PM
What's the deal with Bobby Carpenter? He was supposed to be the ideal fit for OLB in the Cowboy's D, he's not on active roster? :confused:

Gee, you live in the DFW, you should be giving us the 411. :gomer: He was inactive for the first game. Obviously Parcells isn't happy with him. He musta been late fetching the Tuna his water... *shrug*

-Kevin

Gangrel
09-13-06, 02:19 PM
Gonna' have to go with the Pats this week...

Ankf00
09-13-06, 02:23 PM
Gee, you live in the DFW, you should be giving us the 411. :gomer: He was inactive for the first game. Obviously Parcells isn't happy with him. He musta been late fetching the Tuna his water... *shrug*

-Kevin

No one down here knows, I figured resident poisonous leaves & cowboys fans would have the info :gomer:

Lizzerd
09-13-06, 03:05 PM
I'll take San Diego.

Turn7
09-13-06, 03:47 PM
da Bears.

Insomniac
09-14-06, 06:46 AM
Is it too late to get in on this? If I'm treated just like one of the eliminated, can I get in?

If so, I'll take Denver

That's cool, you have 1 Loss, but you also have the advantage of picking from 1 more team than others so you would lose any tie breakers. Thanks for joining the fun (this is what it's all about!). Anyone else can jump in.

devilmaster
09-14-06, 01:06 PM
Bears.

0-16. I believe.

Gangrel
09-14-06, 02:26 PM
Bears.

0-16. I believe.

If you just said what I think you just said...I'll take that bet... :D

dando
09-14-06, 03:09 PM
Bears.

0-16. I believe.

What? Dint some punk WR from UT guarantee a victory this week? :saywhat: Besides, the Lions will surely have two Ws against the Pack, eh? :)

EDIT: see Flesh Wound thread about his. :D

-Kevin

devilmaster
09-14-06, 03:42 PM
What? Dint some punk WR from UT guarantee a victory this week? :saywhat: Besides, the Lions will surely have two Ws against the Pack, eh? :)

-Kevin

1 Win at best. I don't care how bad the Pack apparently are. The Lions haven't won at Lambeau in 13 years now IIRC. This team isn't going to change that, especially in the cold. (week 15 no?)

devilmaster
09-14-06, 03:52 PM
If you just said what I think you just said...I'll take that bet... :D

I'm in a pretty good flame war at a Detroit sports forum. I'm a founding member of their 0-16 fan club. :D

The sad truth is that I'm a diehard Lions fan - and therefore I cannot and will not support a team run by Millen. I couldn't care less if he re-incarnated Lombardi, cause even Vince couldn't coach this team to a winning season. I have no confidence or faith in a Millen run team. Martz will more than likely be gone after 1 season when he's offered a head coach job. And that leaves the Lions with an unproven line coach, 2 QB's who either haven't shown anything in years or just not at all, an offensive line that is just offensive to watch, and high draft pick after high draft pick that are being released - leaving the team with cap restrictions and nothing else in return.

Az Hakim has just been signed, which should ensure Mike Williams will be gone soon. That is 3 first round picks that haven't panned out at all under Millen. I want him gone, but Millen is apparently a good dinner date for Clay Ford Sr.

So, in the end.

Lions. 0-16. I believe in them.

Racing Truth
09-14-06, 08:12 PM
Since they're playing the "We were 34 points away from scoring 40!:tony: " Lions, I'll take Chicago.

Al Czervik
09-15-06, 11:43 AM
San Diego

Tony George
09-15-06, 11:48 AM
I missed week 1- might as well join in now.

Green Bay :eek: :gomer:

Insomniac
09-16-06, 09:40 AM
I'm going with Baltimore. No idea how long McNair will be in one piece.

Insomniac
09-16-06, 09:44 AM
Spicoli - You need to change your pick. You can not pick Indianpolis more than once.

The following people still in it have not made picks yet:
Dvdb
racermike
TKAngel

And the following people with one loss can make picks if they want:
IlliniRacer
indyfan31
Opposite Lock
Ronbo
Sean O'Gorman

Anyone else who didn't play in Week 1, feel free to jump in to the fray.

Dvdb
09-16-06, 10:51 AM
I'm thinking..............................

I'll take Baltimore over the lowly Raider nation.

Sean O'Gorman
09-16-06, 10:54 AM
Baltimore

TKGAngel
09-16-06, 06:29 PM
Cincinnati.

devilmaster
09-17-06, 02:10 PM
0-16. I believe.

http://www.mnsi.net/~smicalef/baghead.gif

chop456
09-17-06, 04:50 PM
0-16. I believe.

That was ugly. Made worse by the fact that the Bears really aren't that good.

If the Lions ever get rid of Millen, I hope he lands somewhere else in the NFC Norris division. :D

nrc
09-17-06, 08:16 PM
0-16. I believe.

Dude. They are sooo close to putting up 40 points. :p

Sean O'Gorman
09-17-06, 09:03 PM
Hey, at least you didn't really have any expectations going into the season. Imagine how much it sucks to be a Browns or a Bucs fan right now. :laugh:

racer2c
09-17-06, 10:03 PM
Hey, at least you didn't really have any expectations going into the season. Imagine how much it sucks to be a Browns or a Bucs fan right now. :laugh:

Don't forget teh Raiders!

greenie
09-17-06, 11:25 PM
Don't forget teh Raiders!

Anyone that had any expectations about the Raiders is probably, certainly a bufoon. :gomer:

racer2c
09-17-06, 11:27 PM
Anyone that had any expectations about the Raiders is probably, certainly a bufoon. :gomer:

Probably.

Stu
09-17-06, 11:43 PM
how awesome would it be if the Browns and Texans both went into week 17 with records of 0-15?

1 team guaranteed to make history. :rofl:

Lizzerd
09-17-06, 11:46 PM
how awesome would it be if the Browns and Texans both went into week 17 with records of 0-15?

1 team guaranteed to make history. :rofl:

Good one. My Colts helped Houston on its way there today. :rofl:

WickerBill
09-18-06, 04:57 AM
I think the Titans are in worse shape than even the Raiders, Lions, Texans... no QB, barely a running game, very poor defense... I think Houston will sweep them.

Insomniac
09-18-06, 08:43 AM
I think the Titans are in worse shape than even the Raiders, Lions, Texans... no QB, barely a running game, very poor defense... I think Houston will sweep them.

I don't understand this rotating QB experiment. Just put VY in there and let him learn on the job full time like Peyton. The pre-season ended 3 weeks ago Fisher!

Ankf00
09-18-06, 10:13 AM

I've thought this since preseason and I'm sticking with it. Bud Adams wishes he had Bob McNair's o-line and defense... woooo. :shakehead

don't understand this rotating QB experiment. Just put VY in there and let him learn on the job full time like Peyton.
don't want to bash his head in and gut him of all confidence ala Ryan Leaf. I don't think this would happen, but then again I'm not a coach. Jeff Fisher brought Steve McNair around from 1-AA ball, I'll give him the benefit of all the doubt in the world in this case...

G.
09-18-06, 10:48 AM
That was ugly. Made worse by the fact that the Bears really aren't that good.

You're most likely correct, but I actually saw passes going, wait for it..., DOWNFIELD these last two weeks! And tight ends catching passes!

What happened to the 2 yard screens that we all know and love?:yuck:

I will agree that the Bears ain't that good, but i will reserve complete judgement until I can see the QB, (what'shisname, Cade Grossman?) perform under pressure. Can he play under sack attacks? Lead from a point deficit?

Doubt it, but more than happy to be wrong.

Ankf00
09-18-06, 10:55 AM
Len Pasquarelli 2005: Vince Young sucks as a quarterback, only operates in shotgun, one read option based offense. #1 in passing efficiency is a lie b/c Texas never passes the ball. Option or Shotgun != NFL

Len Pasquarelli 2006: There's this shotgun running play Atlanta uses now, it's freaking awesome. The qb has the ball, sticks it in the RB's gut for a 1/2 second watching the weakside DE crash or contain, then makes the decision on keep or not... Atlanta & Vick == geniusz0rs!!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2591874

There may not be many surprises to the Falcons' approach but, Phillips' assessment aside, there definitely are some new wrinkles in Atlanta's running game for 2006. The most obvious alteration is that Atlanta now is using the shotgun formation on early downs, not just in third-and-long passing situations. His team has borrowed some components of a few college offenses, most notably that of West Virginia University, head coach Jim Mora acknowledged, and opponents have not been able to adjust.

"Our coaches saw some teams out there, and not necessarily NFL teams, that were doing some pretty nice things [offensively]," Mora said. "And they said, 'Let's look at those teams.' We've been able to apply a lot of that stuff into our concepts without having to change very much."

Most run-oriented teams eschew working out of the shotgun because theory holds that it limits the kinds of running plays that can be used. But the Falcons have incorporated it seamlessly and, because of that, have not had to rework their zone-blocking schemes upfront. The broadened use of the shotgun has permitted Vick to get to the perimeter on more designed plays. And Vick has improved his ball-handling -- especially a belly-type series in which he sticks the ball into Dunn's gut and hesitates with it there, as if he is maybe reading the flow of the defensive end in an option-based attack -- to the point where defenses are frozen.

:saywhat: Yeah fatass, it's called the dart/zone read. It's used by most every NCAA team that runs out of the shotgun spread :rolleyes: Mike Ditka didn't get the memo before he got on ESPN radio, "Vick's using some of the Texas offense." Since this "one-read remedial offense" has now been utilized in the NFL, Jaworski & Merrill Hodges' heads are about to explode in 3... 2...

now all that's left is for NFL to start using some double barrel shotgun or slot WR in motion across the line thereby incorporating zone read & speed option in the same play :D

nrc
09-18-06, 11:31 AM
Shouldn't we wait for Atlanta to do more than put up a couple of touchdowns against suspect teams before we declare them an "offensive jugglenut?" :rolleyes:

Ankf00
09-18-06, 11:40 AM
Shouldn't we wait for Atlanta to do more than put up a couple of touchdowns against suspect teams before we declare them an "offensive jugglenut?" :rolleyes:

I don't know, historically, beating Chris Simms with 3 INT's is the stuff of future champions :D

Insomniac
09-18-06, 04:00 PM
don't want to bash his head in and gut him of all confidence ala Ryan Leaf. I don't think this would happen, but then again I'm not a coach. Jeff Fisher brought Steve McNair around from 1-AA ball, I'll give him the benefit of all the doubt in the world in this case...

If you can't handle the pressure, you're washing out regardless of when you start. Only difference is you will pocket more money. Let the guy learn on field or off, but in and out, it's a disservice to your team IMO. There are 51 other players there and either build it right or try and win.

Ankf00
09-18-06, 04:08 PM
dp.

Ankf00
09-18-06, 04:11 PM
True about the pressure, but the confidence thing is still important. No point in turning your franchise qb into David Carr or Joey Heisman if you can help it.