PDA

View Full Version : Howzabout trumpets?

Warlock!
09-12-06, 03:08 PM
Welp, the oldest daughter just started 5th grade and wants to join band this year... her choice of instrument being the trumpet. I think the wife suggested the trumpet since she used to play it when she was in band. She was good, too... it's just too bad all that blowing never really benefitted me that often. But I digress.

Anyhow, where do I look for 'em? What brands? How much? New or used? Considering many racing geeks are formed by kids who didn't participate in school sports, I'm guessing there's gotta bee a band geek or two in here :D.

Anyone? (not the band geek so much... just the trumpet advice)

KLang
09-12-06, 03:20 PM
I tried to play a cornet (smaller version of the trumpet) for a few years in junior high. My parents bought me a new one, King was the brand IIRC and I think it was kinda expensive. I used it for all of about two years before I lost interest. Much later I sold it to a pawn shop. Thus I think it might be a good idea to start out with a used trumpet and wait to see if the interest is really there.

Joelski
09-12-06, 03:24 PM
Your local music shop should have a program that'll suit ya. Selmer and Conn are two that come to mind, and they have a range of quality according to expertise.

SAdair
09-12-06, 03:26 PM
Take it from someone who tried the flute and lasted less than a year...rent one. Most local music stores will rent instruments. Rent one for a year or two, if she is still into it after a couple of years, then go buy her one.

Lizzerd
09-12-06, 04:46 PM
Trumpet, eh? When I was told by my Mom that I WOULD take band when I started seventh grade, I said, "ok, I wanna play drums". Nope, no way. So, I ended up playing trombone at the band teachers suggestion.

I don't remember the brand, but my parents bought a new one. Joelski mentioned Conn, which I remember. There's got to be a music store somewhere near you. After all, the other kids need instruments too, right? Ask the band director if you have problems finding one. Used ones are surely available. If you have anything like The Trader, a cheap weekly sold in grocery stores in my neck of the woods, you might find a used one. But, IIRC, back in my day, you could lease one through the school. But, I'm an old fart. Things might have changed.

anait
09-12-06, 05:09 PM
*anait waves her clarinet furiously... Band geek right here!! :D This one time, at band camp? ...eh, nothing happened. :p I am standing right in front of mr anait, however, in the 1984 International Music Camp mixed choir photo...

Back to the young 'lockian. Yup, rent a trumpet either from a music store, or from the school.

Our daughter played clarinet in Gr. 7, trumpet last year, and starts trombone this Wednesday in a jazz band. Mr anait encouraged her to try as many instruments as possible. Of the three, the trumpet was by far the most, um, wince-inducing? Out of eyesight, of course. Wincing at your child's practicing is detrimental to their music education. :)

datachicane
09-12-06, 06:16 PM
Just be thankful she's interested in becoming a musician... rather than a drummer.

:gomer:

racer2c
09-12-06, 06:37 PM
Rent is the wise choice until she progresses, however, I bought my daughters first violin on ebay. These wholesalers buy up Chinese student instruments and you can just do a 'buy now', no bidding involved. I'm not sure about a trumpet but the violins were a dime a dozen although I'd imagine it's easier to chince on wood, then metal, but I don't know. The eaby violin I bought was identical to what the local music store was renting for beginner students. I didn't have to worry about her breaking it (she was in sixth grade at the time) and me having to fork over $930.

Ankf00
09-12-06, 06:48 PM
as has been said, local shop, they'll have a program for the local middle schools, rent or buy used and if they stick to it then you're in the envious position of throwing down thousands of dollars on piece of warped, mangled, twisted brass scrap metal :gomer:

flobee1kenobi
09-12-06, 07:46 PM
Rent the trumpet and soundproof a room in your house:rofl:

If the kid sticks with it and gets good-then you buy a good one

RichK
09-12-06, 07:49 PM
Just be thankful she's interested in becoming a musician... rather than a drummer.

Yeah, but we got all the hot band chix. :p

SteveH
09-12-06, 08:02 PM
Welp, the oldest daughter just started 5th grade and wants to join band this year... her choice of instrument being the trumpet. I think the wife suggested the trumpet since she used to play it when she was in band. She was good, too... it's just too bad all that blowing never really benefitted me that often. But I digress.

Anyhow, where do I look for 'em? What brands? How much? New or used? Considering many racing geeks are formed by kids who didn't participate in school sports, I'm guessing there's gotta bee a band geek or two in here :D.

Anyone? (not the band geek so much... just the trumpet advice)

No kidding Warlock! I was in Target and they are now selling band instruments. I didn't check the price but its got to be reasonable. Try one of those and if she likes it, trade up in a few years.

Howzabout strumpets? Ya think we can have a forum here for strumpets? :gomer: :D

Twisty Bits
09-12-06, 08:26 PM
Costco's got em. If they're like anything else in that place, they're at least $8.

datachicane
09-12-06, 08:42 PM
Yeah, but we got all the hot band chix. :p

It's a matter of motivation.

Q: What do you call a drummer without a girlfriend?

A: Homeless.

:D

nissan gtp
09-12-06, 08:49 PM
renting seems like a good idea.

even for a beginner, rent something good not a POS, it makes a difference.

have her practice out on the deck :D

PS, I did't know you kid was named "Welp". Is that a midwest thing ?

racer2c
09-12-06, 10:12 PM
renting seems like a good idea.

even for a beginner, rent something good not a POS, it makes a difference.

have her practice out on the deck :D

PS, I did't know you kid was named "Welp". Is that a midwest thing ?

:rofl:

chop456
09-13-06, 01:32 AM
It's a matter of motivation.

Q: What do you call a drummer without a girlfriend?
A: Homeless.

How do you get a drummer off your porch?

Pay him for the pizza.

Warlock, with the daughter on trumpet and you on drums, I see some awesome Legendary Stardust Cowboy-style jam sessions in your future. :D

Rent. I quit everything I ever played. Well, almost everything.

datachicane
09-13-06, 02:46 AM
How do you get a drummer off your porch?

Pay him for the pizza.

Q: What's the difference between a drummer and a large pepperoni pizza?

A: The pizza can feed a family of four.

datachicane
09-13-06, 02:51 AM
Q: Why are orchestra intermissions never longer than twenty minutes?

A: So they don't have to retrain the percussionists.

Q: How do you get two drummers to play in time?

A: Shoot one.

Kiwifan
09-13-06, 03:35 AM
18 replies Warlock! and not one comment on your other problem. ;) Either I got a way too dirty mind or your mates are genuinely wanting to help you. With your purchase. :)

Good luck with you problem, on both counts. ;)

Rusty.

Disclaimer. Dear Mrs Warlock! I've got no defence. Sorry. :o

Warlock!
09-13-06, 07:11 AM
So this one from overstock.com is prolly not a good choice, even if it's practically disposable?

http://images.overstock.com/f/102/3117/8h/www.overstock.com/images/products/P10299851.jpg
$189.99

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PROFRAME&PROD_ID=1992541

I figger I could toss this one to the curb in a couple years if she's really into it and buy a decent one at that time. Renting makes me wanna hurl, knowing the spit valve has been full of the spit from others before. What's the difference between a decent one and the one pictured above?

flobee1kenobi
09-13-06, 07:29 AM
So this one from overstock.com is prolly not a good choice, even if it's practically disposable?

http://images.overstock.com/f/102/3117/8h/www.overstock.com/images/products/P10299851.jpg
$189.99

I figger I could toss this one to the curb in a couple years if she's really into it and buy a decent one at that time. Renting makes me wanna hurl, knowing the spit valve has been full of the spit from others before. What's the difference between a decent one and the one pictured above?

about 1500 bucks
http://img3.giardinelli.com/dbase/pics/products/6/1/4/262614.jpg

Twisty Bits
09-13-06, 08:13 AM
flobee can teach her how to play this.
http://www.ricksontruck.com/images/airhorns/train_grover_1275.jpg

racer2c
09-13-06, 09:48 AM

$189.99

Duder. First year student musicians couldn't make a trumpet of gold sound good. the el'cheapos are playable and if she continues and excels then you can pop for the better one. Like I mentioned, the el cheapo ebay violin I bought was identicle to the student models at the rental shop. After two years we upgraded. Now after five years of playing, she's looking at $5000 violins.

SteveH
09-13-06, 10:23 AM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0009EWBJA.16._SCLZZZZZZZ_SS260_.jpg

$199.99 available at Target. A feature your daughter is sure to like: Deluxe trumpet available in royal blue, crimson red, pure purple, silver or brass. :D

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/602-5362223-2684658?asin=B0009EWBJA&AFID=MSN&LNM=B0009EWBJA|Harmony_Deluxe_Trumpet_-_Silver&ref=tgt_adv_XPSD0500

Now what about strumpets?

Turn7
09-13-06, 10:30 AM
'lock, she needs fatherly direction.

Get her this instead. :thumbup: :cool:

http://www.atspeedimages.com/hmsa_2005/1971_mclaren_m8e_intake_trumpets.jpg

Warlock!
09-13-06, 11:00 AM
^^ Is that "Pure Purple" or "Royal Blue"?

racer2c
09-13-06, 11:00 AM
Who drives that, Dr. Seuss?

racer2c
09-13-06, 11:02 AM
These horns have a nice tone. :)

http://www.hillmanimages.com/912/images/l70-06.jpg

RichK
09-13-06, 12:00 PM
Who drives that, Dr. Seuss?

:laugh:

(I'll slink away into the corner now.....too many drummer jokes....:cry: )

Twisty Bits
09-13-06, 12:19 PM

(I'll slink away into the corner now.....too many drummer jokes....:cry: )

What do you call a guy who hangs oot with a group of musicians?

Turn7
09-13-06, 12:23 PM
^^ Is that "Pure Purple" or "Royal Blue"?

I hope it's blue under a red awning.

RichK
09-13-06, 12:27 PM
What do you call a guy who hangs oot with a group of musicians?

(is that the Scott Goodyear version of the joke?)

datachicane
09-13-06, 12:51 PM

datachicane
09-13-06, 12:52 PM
Did you hear about the bass player who locked the keys in his car?

He had to break a window to get the drummer out.

Twisty Bits
09-13-06, 12:55 PM

Ah, the drummer. The goalie of the band.

nrc
09-14-06, 12:36 AM
Did some looking around, trying to play devils advocate on why someone might look at anything else. Found a couple of music store owner's pitches for more expensive beginner's stuff. The first pitch is that the band director will shame your child for bringing a cheap instrument. I figure one visit from 'Lock would put the kibosh on that. ;) But the question that arises from that is whether the school has provided any recommendations on guidance on what you should look for.

The second bit of FUD is that the department store and mail-order bought instruments are made of cheap materials. They play ok to start with but "in a few weeks" they start to get out of adjustment, the valves stick, the flywheel cracks or the bearings sieze or whatever the heck happens with instruments. You can't get them fixed because they're made of such cheap materials they can't be soldered or hammered or whatever they do.

Not saying any of this is fact, just trying to understand why anyone starting out ever buys anything but the Target/Overstock type. In the process I came across this site that I have no experience with but seems to have a selection across the price spectrum.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/

Joelski
09-14-06, 01:20 AM
I know an instrument repairman and he hates the cheap crap! The pads are trash to begin with and though nothing stands up to chewing gum saliva, the junkers show up sooner than the decent brand entry level units. It typically costs more over the longrun (or school year) to keep a crap instrument in playing condition. You don't have to buy top of the line, just make sure you avoid the department store garbage. Also, bite the bullet and buy the instrument, you will pay less than a lease to own and you can sell it and make some cash back later. Also, a lot of the better shops offer good trade-in value on well maintained pieces.

chop456
09-14-06, 01:30 AM
the valves stick, the flywheel cracks or the bearings sieze or whatever the heck happens with instruments.

Before I got to the end of this sentence, I was like "Where the hell would the flywheel be in a trumpet?" :gomer: :laugh:

Robstar
09-14-06, 05:33 AM
Great drummer jokes... :o

Look on the bright side Warlock!...

My parents MADE me learn & instrument (Mum was an awesome pianist)

So I said "Fine! If I'm going to play an instrument... I'm going to play the loudest one I can find!" just to piss them off - t'was very uncool at 11...

:looksatcalluses:

Robstar
09-14-06, 05:36 AM

Ah, the drummer. The goalie of the band.

I prefer "backbone" of the band... :cool:

racer2c
09-14-06, 06:32 AM
Did some looking around, trying to play devils advocate on why someone might look at anything else. Found a couple of music store owner's pitches for more expensive beginner's stuff. The first pitch is that the band director will shame your child for bringing a cheap instrument. I figure one visit from 'Lock would put the kibosh on that. ;) But the question that arises from that is whether the school has provided any recommendations on guidance on what you should look for.

True, but depending on when the child is starting makes a difference. If they are in 6th grade and never touched a band/orchrestra instrument and decide they hate it after three months and quit it's moot. However, if the child is older and playing catch up with their age group (with private lessons and the love and in it for the long haul) the better quality instrument is a must. My daughter just told me that only three others in her orchrestra started with her in middle school.

The second bit of FUD is that the department store and mail-order bought instruments are made of cheap materials. They play ok to start with but "in a few weeks" they start to get out of adjustment, the valves stick, the flywheel cracks or the bearings sieze or whatever the heck happens with instruments. You can't get them fixed because they're made of such cheap materials they can't be soldered or hammered or whatever they do.

Also true, but even the rentals are of basic, lowish quality. Whenever you hear the term "student model", you know its quality.

Warlock!
09-14-06, 07:12 AM
Well, before Richard did all the researching I should have done, I said, "Hellwithit... I'll get the Overstock model. I ordered it yesterday. When I get home from work, I tell the daughter that woohoo, I ordered her trumpet! She says, "Oh... actually I was thinking about playing the saxaphone... but I guess the trumpet is OK." :)

Evidently mom was assuming she had to play the trumpet since mom played it. :rolleyes: The daughter is trying out different instruments at school, and so far she likes the sax. So, when I receive the trumpet, before the flywheel cracks, it will be sent back in it's original packaging. I imagine saxes are much more reasonably priced. :gomer:

Rock on.

SteveH
09-14-06, 08:43 AM

Besides, you'll look pretty cool wailing on the sax in the evening on your back deck. ;) :cool: :p

Joelski
09-14-06, 10:09 AM
Question: Would ya rather race, or play in the school band?

I played the shovel quite successfully.;) If you ever want to keep something forever, disguise it as a band instrument!

datachicane
09-14-06, 11:00 AM
Good move on the sax.
:thumbup:

At that age, I'd start her on an alto.
Find her an old beater Selmer for max street cred.

Gangrel
09-14-06, 11:06 AM
What this thread needs is more cowbell! :D

Joelski
09-14-06, 11:10 AM
No cowbell (that's percussion), but plenty of Bari sax!

http://www.literaturhaus-muenchen.de/lithausData/dateien/veranstaltungen/previews/der_saxophonist2klein.jpg

RaceGrrl
09-14-06, 01:01 PM
I started band in when I was 10. At first I hated the clarinet, but the band director auditioned us on all the instruments and told us which ones we were best suited for. Parents bought me a used Noblet clarinet for $50 and while at first I was embarrassed to have a used old clarinet, I appreciated it later when I was in concert band. It sounded so much richer than the cheap plastic ones most of the other kids had. Clarinet sucks for marching band though, so if she wants to march, get her the trumpet. No sax allowed in TBDBITL either.

Mr. Toad
09-14-06, 10:38 PM
Howzabout a didgeridoo?
http://www.roebourne.wa.edu.au/2002/images2002/Didgeridoo.jpg