PDA

View Full Version : Champions League 2006-2007

WickerBill
09-12-06, 12:23 PM
Let's have a chat... Barca and Chelski in the same group, Liverpool playing terribly going in, but not as badly as Arsenal, Man United v Celtic, Bayern and Inter in the same group....

Any predictions?

TrueBrit
09-12-06, 02:43 PM
Chelsea wins.

End of chat.

;)

Dr. Corkski
09-12-06, 02:47 PM
Shouldn't Chel$ki worry about beating EPL powerhouses like Middlesborough first? :gomer:

Ankf00
09-12-06, 03:24 PM
'BORO!!!!!!!!!111

Roma will burninate the peoples. :flame:

eiregosod
09-12-06, 06:05 PM
good games today.

bring on Man Utd v Celtic! go man U :D

WickerBill
09-12-06, 06:51 PM
Ronaldinho's goal.... unreal.

Chelsea only wants the CL this year, so naturally they won't get it.

Ankf00
09-12-06, 06:58 PM
4 nil? :eek:

I thought for sure we'd choke as always :gomer:

WickerBill
09-13-06, 04:42 PM
Madrid goes down hard to Lyon... Arsenal hold on ... United hold on...

eiregosod
10-31-06, 07:48 PM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42262000/jpg/_42262358_cl11.jpg

TrueBrit
10-31-06, 08:27 PM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42262000/jpg/_42262358_cl11.jpg

Nothing like leaving it to the absolute laaaaaaaaaast minute!!:eek:

10 yellow cards!! Was the ref auditioning for the next World Cup..:shakehead

eiregosod
10-31-06, 09:22 PM

that aint half the story. lets just say that the ref acted like a school teacher who had lost all authority.

he gave a few soft free kicks, then after every challenge every player was asking him to give a card.

Wheel-Nut
10-31-06, 09:29 PM
uhmmm . . . . . Go Dynamos?!!
http://web.mlsnet.com/t200/

Ankf00
10-31-06, 10:10 PM
isn't MLS Cup in Dallas again this year?

<----a soccer fan who doesn't plan on going :gomer:

Wheel-Nut
10-31-06, 10:25 PM
I have no idea but the Shiner Dunkelweizen is flowing good tonight!! :)

Sean O'Gorman
11-01-06, 05:00 AM

Heh, more proof that the first 89 minutes weren't worth watching in the first place...

WickerBill
11-01-06, 06:27 AM

He just thinks he's Solsjkaer. ;)

The Doctor
02-22-07, 11:04 PM
I'm disappointed, we're lagging behind on UEFA talk for the first leg of the elimination round.

There was the free kick insanity in the ManU v. Lille game. I do believe that is the first time I've seen the "I'm taking my ball and going home" routine since fifth grade dodgeball... good to see the Lille manager bust it out so that he can cry about a perfectly legal exploitation of the situation.

Liverpool beat Barca 2-1 at Nuo Camp... some really dumb mistakes all game by Barca, even after they pretty well dominated most of the first half.

Gunners lose to PSV... doesn't look too promising for the Gunners, struggling against PSV in the second half, and even fighting with the Wanderers and Liverpool over third through fifth in the EPL.

Real Madrid beats Bayern 3-2, and everyone is in love with Beckham again.

Porto draw Chelsea... Inter draw Valencia... Roma draw Lyon even though they got hit with something like 8 or 9 yellow cards... Celtic draw AC Milan.

WickerBill
02-23-07, 05:41 AM
You didn't mention Lille A. printing their tickets on flat, 40# cardstock, B. allowing all of the counterfeits entry into the stadium, then C. assaulting (with tear gas and batons) the ManU supporters when they tried to escape the "cage" they had been put in because people were getting crushed because there were too many of them.

Other than that, fine work by the French.

Arsenal are strange to watch ... there are games when I swear they'd beat anyone on the planet, and games when I'm not sure they'd gain promotion from the Championship if they were down there.

I'm the biggest FC Porto fan in Indianapolis right now, I'm sure.

Ankf00
03-06-07, 07:24 PM
Roma through with a 2-0 result at Satde de Gerland

Inter throws down with Valencia after the final whistle :eek:

FORZA ROMA!!!!

The Doctor
03-07-07, 01:32 PM
Inter throws down with Valencia after the final whistle :eek:

That was crazy, the one guy ended up with a broken nose.

And who was that police/security guy who in the video from the tunnel is trying to fight one of the players and push through the other security/police in black and get into the locker room to fight someone as well? That whole thing was ridiculous.

But nice cowardly running by the puncher when he realized he was about to get beat down, barely avoiding the slide tackle and escaping to the locker room.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLzyppNj0FU

eiregosod
03-09-07, 09:29 AM
hats off to the goalkeeper who went into the Valencia dressing room.

here's the draw for the next 2 rounds:

Quarter-final draw
AC Milan v Bayern Munich
PSV Eindhoven v LIVERPOOL
Roma v MANCHESTER UNITED
CHELSEA v Valencia

(First legs to be played on 3/4 April and second legs on 10/11 April)

Semi-final draw
CHELSEA or Valencia v PSV Eindhoven or LIVERPOOL
Roma or MANCHESTER UNITED v AC Milan or Bayern Munich

(First legs to be played on 24/25 April and second legs on 1/2 May)

I reckon that Man Utd have agreat chance of winning this thing outright.

Ankf00
03-09-07, 11:13 AM
actually, it's Inter, Milan had to forfeit their place in Europe this season. :D

'Unlike us, Man Utd have a lot of experience in this competition and a lot of tradition,' said Spalletti.

'They are a very strong team, they have a young side that have individual quality, a big team spirit and is one of the most complete teams in the competition.

'But we have do what we did against Lyon, we have to be convinced for our worth and be optimistic about our chances.

'After all, our football is more technical and better tactically than English football.

hell yea it is, down go the red devils :flame: well, that is if the Milan tie 3 day prior doesn't wear down our side :\

eiregosod
03-09-07, 11:24 AM
Roma suck, Milan are old

WickerBill
03-09-07, 11:24 AM
:)

Ankf00
03-09-07, 11:41 AM
Roma suck, Milan are old

:mad:

{beep} the Prem! :p

eiregosod
04-10-07, 08:59 PM
7-1 :cool: :p

Chelsea qualify for the semi-final

Liverpool will likely qualify for the semi-final.

Chelsea - Liverpool

Man utd - Bayern/Milan

I dunno, but for the first time in 25 years, English based clubs are the best in Europe.

Ankf00
04-10-07, 09:06 PM
:cry: :cry: :cry:

how?!?

eiregosod
04-10-07, 09:17 PM
Roma didn't seem to make much of an effort

I think they were paid to play bad [/conspiracy]

WickerBill
04-10-07, 09:19 PM
:cry: :cry:

how?!?

:shakehead

;)

Ankf00
04-10-07, 09:22 PM
Roma didn't seem to make much of an effort

I think they were paid to play bad [/conspiracy]

the fullbacks had their heads up their arses the entire game, just sitting there in no man's land letting the forwards get closer and closer uncontested. dingbats :flame:

what a pathetic show :shakehead

WickerBill
05-01-07, 09:56 PM
Manchester United may well lose tomorrow night, but no matter what...

NO MATTER WHAT

the game will not be as horrendous as Pool-Chelski. That was one hideous game to watch.

eiregosod
05-02-07, 12:05 PM
Manchester United may well lose tomorrow night, but no matter what...

NO MATTER WHAT

the game will not be as horrendous as Pool-Chelski. That was one hideous game to watch.

here's hoping that Man Utd win tonight :D

Milan are clappered out, much like Al unser after a trip to the bar :D

Ankf00
05-02-07, 12:31 PM
'pool and manu in Athens, you'd have to flip a coin to figure out which one would be more insufferable

WickerBill
05-02-07, 01:32 PM
'pool and manu in Athens, you'd have to flip a coin to figure out which one would be more insufferable

Athens police trying to keep the two sets of fans apart... I want HD cameras outside the ground that night!

eiregosod
05-02-07, 01:33 PM

'pool, they only win cup competitions on penalty shootouts.

Ankf00
05-02-07, 03:20 PM
this might come back to bite me in the arse, but here goes...

*points at you two*

:laugh:

*points at you two*

*points at you two*

Ankf00
05-02-07, 03:38 PM
and I mean that with love, really, I do. :)

The Doctor
05-02-07, 03:40 PM
Still 45 minutes of play left, who knows what could happen... ;)

Ankf00
05-02-07, 04:22 PM
Still 45 minutes of play left, who knows what could happen... ;)

you were right, who knew alberto would get on the scoresheet as well!

looks like its rematch time, milan's 3rd european final in 5 years. will 'pool hack their way to their 6th as they last did in Istanbul?

The Doctor
05-02-07, 04:42 PM
I'm taking the lanky bastard and company to defeat Milan once again in the final. Three weeks is too long to wait! :thumbup:

WickerBill
05-02-07, 06:41 PM
I am the biggest AC Milan fan in Indianapolis -- for their next CL game. Oh please, don't make me endure dirty scouser cries of "Six times"... I'm going to vomit

WickerBill
05-02-07, 06:43 PM
and f00boy, what the heck? Rise above being an ABU

Ankf00
05-02-07, 06:54 PM
1. it's apu
2. if I was a true apu I'd be fellating everything in sight with an english origin, much like you yank prem supporters :p

italia FTW :tony:

WickerBill
05-02-07, 07:09 PM
what's apu?

ABU = anybody but United

You frighten me

Ankf00
05-03-07, 10:14 AM
well, wrong on that count as well. Serie A FTW!. :cool:

(apu's are indian POMs)

eiregosod
05-03-07, 10:30 AM
:cry: :cry: :cry:

If Liverpool win their 2nd CL in 3 years, then something is seriously wrong with the Champions League. Liverpool never looked like being a team that could win the Premiership, yet they still manage to get to the CL final. Chelsea & Man Utd have the Premiership, FA Cup, CL to think about. whereas Liverpool only had to worry about the CL. Arsenal got to the CL final last year but they were nothing in the Premiership.

Milan are class. they have excellent players.

eiregosod
05-23-07, 08:13 AM
The also-rans of their respective domestic leagues are battling it out tonight.

Liverpool V AC Milan.

I'd prefer to see Milan take the title.

Ankf00
05-23-07, 10:05 AM
scousers will get romped by Burlesconi's mafiosos

WickerBill
05-23-07, 02:22 PM
scousers will get romped by Burlesconi's mafiosos

You effing better be right.

dando
05-23-07, 02:39 PM
I thought is was already over? Dint ****** *** **** *** already win this thing? :gomer: :p

-Kevin

Ankf00
05-23-07, 02:43 PM
You effing better be right.

if I'm not, there's a mob of 'pool supporters on hornfans ready to tar and feather me the next time I show my face at a tailgate back home.

seriously though, unless it's a whack 'n hack job like '05, the Rosoneri should be fine, no Serie A pressure to fatigue them. Reno's going to feast on kabobs of Stevie's nether-oysters in midfield today. :tasty: I bet he eats a couple of babies for pre-game meal...

Ankf00
05-23-07, 03:13 PM
D1 games are more exciting

http://www2.hornfans.com/wwwthreads/images/icons/pukey.gif

WickerBill
05-23-07, 04:38 PM
sweet relief.

Luke
05-23-07, 04:46 PM
Soooooo Milan a great team.

Just a shame they do the things they do...

3 teams outta 4 in semis were English, hoped it would be a win a again for an English team, 3rd time in a row English team in final again.

as English premiership is the most competitive league there is it shows that when teams like Liverpool get to final when they were nothing in the league...

Milan should have not even been in the competition after they cheated with referees last year. Got chucked as did other dirty teams but appealed and let back back in. :rolleyes:

At the end of the day, Liverpool deserved to have been in the final. They out performed Chelsea. Chelsea have big names but are not as good as Man u.
Liverpool have just as great players. Alonso, Reecer (sp?) Penent, Kite, Crouch, Carragher, Gerrard...

Maybe my team Arsenal can be in the final next year. :cool: The emirates stadium is world class, just like the new Wembley. :d

WickerBill
05-23-07, 05:01 PM
Pool outplayed them. Milan looked nothing like the side of two weeks ago -- but two goals anyway. The game changed when the preying mantis came on; Rafa will rue keeping him on the pine until 77th minute. Dumb.

Still SO glad I don't have to deal with my Liverpool fan friends screaming "six times" all year.

Agree the Prem is the toughest league in the world -- but trust me, Ank is going to go all anti-English on you now....

Luke
05-23-07, 05:04 PM
Why anti English?

And Liverpool did out play them, have move possession, but at the end of the day, Kaka, Inzarghi, seedorf etc are fantastic players and can pull it outta no where. (sorry can't spell these foreign names)

Just pleased Milan's goal was not won on their lucky first goal when it went in off his arm.

Ankf00
05-23-07, 05:21 PM
POMs, the lot of ya! :p

'pool hustled more, so we'll just call it even for the disgrace of '05. Even if 'pool's forwards finish as horribly as myself. Pippo, Kaka, the dutchman, Reno were all excellent when it counted.

If engilsh teams were so dominant, it wouldn't be an Italian side in the CL final throught the decade, how many times this decade have 2 or 3 out of Milan, Inter, and Juve been in the quarters and semis? Paolo Maldini, 8 european finals, 5 european titles. [Ali] Respect! [/G]

The reason a side like 'pool advances far despite being worthless in the Prem is they don't have to waste any extra energies towards the securement of a domestic cup or title. I have far more respect for sides such as ManUre, Chelski, AC Burlesconi, and the Old Whore who compete in 3 campaigns, cup, table, and europe with their full effort.

Roma - Coppa Italia
ManUre - Premiership
Chelski - FA Cup
'pool - zilch <--- :laugh:

p.s. while Pirlo's spot kick was judgement, the ball hit the upper arm, which was secured and motionless against Pippo's side as well.

Screw the Prem :p Serie A FTW!!

(yes, EPL is quality, but it ebbs and flows as with everythign, last year it was La Liga, 2-3 years ago it was Serie A in all the european finals, etc... and if WB shows "scorebaord" one more time, I might just stab my screen. :siezures: )

Luke
05-23-07, 05:31 PM
POMs, the lot of ya! :p

So I take it you are Australian? Real offensive, I am shattered. :shakehead

'pool hustled more, so we'll just call it even for the disgrace of '05. Even if 'pool's forwards finish as horribly as myself. Pippo, Kaka, the dutchman, Reno were all excellent when it counted.

2005 was not a disgrace. They came back 3 down to win. They deserved it. However in the league that year they finished 5th and their run in europe was rather odd, but they seem to do well in Europe lately, if they play well and knock out other teams, they deserve to be there.

If engilsh teams were so dominant, it wouldn't be an Italian side in the CL final year after year, how many times this decade have 2 or 3 out of Milan, Inter, and Juve been in the quarters and semis?

I never said english teams were so dominant. But 3 of the last 4 teams left were english, which rather says they were. There has been an english team in the final the past 3 year after year as well so i don't know what you are getting at. Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal always get to the quaters, usually atleast.

The reason a side like 'pool advances far despite being worthless in the Prem is they don't have to waste any extra energies towards the securement of the domestic title. I have far more respect for sides such as ManUre, Chelski, AC Burlesconi, and the Old Whore who compete in 3 campaigns, cup, table, and europe with their full effort.

You really don't know what you are talking about. Guess ya don't watch the premiership. Coming from a guy who does, week in week out, plays football most of his life and attends his favourite team's games: you don't know what you are talking about.

Roma - Coppa Italia
ManUre - Premiership
Chelski - FA Cup
'pool - zilch <--- :laugh:

Zilch?

Chelsea won, 2 cups this year, Man u won the premiership. Liverpool had a chance of winning the cup that makes up for them all.
As for Roma champions, Man U thrahsed them in the semis...

p.s. while Pirlo's spot kick was judgement, the ball hit the upper arm, which was secured and motionless against Pippo's side as well.

It was luck how it ended. The shot could have not gone off him, could have been blocked down. That is why I am glad it was not won on that goal.

Screw the Prem :p Serie A FTW!!

Serie A? A bunch of cheating teams who fix games.

La liga and the premiership is the stuff to watch.

Ankf00
05-23-07, 05:47 PM
2005 was not a disgrace. They came back 3 down to win. They deserved it.
they came back by playing hack a shaq, hell, they got there in the first place by doing their best Greek Euro '04 impression.

European Championship finalists of last 15 years:

Serie A - 11
La Liga - 9
EPL - 4

The numbers don't support your argument over the course of multiple seasons.

You really don't know what you are talking about. Guess ya don't watch the premiership. Coming from a guy who does, week in week out, plays football most of his life and attends his favourite team's games: you don't know what you are talking about.

Zilch?

Chelsea won, 2 cups this year, Man u won the premiership. Liverpool had a chance of winning the cup that makes up for them all.
As for Roma champions, Man U thrahsed them in the semis...
yes, zilch, 'pool accomplished zilch, much like arse. zilch, zero, nothing, nil, null set.

and 'pool's ability to make a run at 2 campaigns is not something inherent to the EPL alone, the same is faced by every other side without ManU or Juve sized finances, finances buys depth, depth lets you rest stars without sacrificing points, it's the same in every other league.

cast aspersions on all of Serie A if you wish, doesn't change the fact that Serie A sides succeed in Europe far more than the EPL. I'm sure Moggi and Burlesconi paid their way through. :gomer:

and just fyi, half of my previous post was tongue in cheek ;)

WickerBill
05-23-07, 06:34 PM
and if WB shows "scorebaord" one more time, I might just stab my screen. :siezures: )

What?

eiregosod
05-23-07, 07:58 PM
The final was an anti-climax anyway because neither Liverpool nor Milan did much in their domestic leagues this season. In many ways the CL is the way the FA cup used to be.

Liverpool were erestricted to a few Steve gerrard & Riise long shots! They might have had posession but they didn't create many chances.

Milan are better on the ball, they were taking the p!ss when they got their second goal, Seedorf toying with the pool players then the passing through to Inzaghi. :laugh:

The English teams didn't go much in the UEFA cup. The top 4 in the premiership are amongst the best in Europe, remember they are buying the best players from around the world and bringing the, to England.

If Liverpool did win then you'd never hear the end of it. 2 more Premiership wins for Man U and liverpool will be joint holders of the League record.