PDA

View Full Version : replacement car keys

Ankf00
09-10-06, 02:04 PM
so I lost my keys sometime last night, how much do these things go for? and how long would it take for the VW dealer to make a new set? I've never misplaced keys in my life, and I've now lost 2 set in the past 3 months <--- :gomer:

Cam
09-10-06, 02:10 PM
so I lost my keys sometime last night, how much do these things go for? and how long would it take for the VW dealer to make a new set? I've never misplaced keys in my life, and I've now lost 2 set in the past 3 months <--- :gomer:

Ignition key for a Chevy was like 7-8 bucks... You can actually fax your car rego to them and they will have them ready when you get there. Just show them the original rego and your D/L and out the door you go... :D

Edit: That key didnt have a smart chip or whatever on it tho. YMMV

Ankf00
09-10-06, 02:19 PM
Ok, nevermind, friend just called, apparently they ended up in his car which is now 1/2 way to Houston. He packed up my folding chairs and tailgate schwag bag and left the bag in his car...

but, google sucks, and I am curious as to how much they cost, the one w/ the clicker & electronics built in. thanks for the reply anyway. :thumbup:

dando
09-10-06, 02:31 PM
Ok, nevermind, friend just called, apparently they ended up in his car which is now 1/2 way to Houston. He packed up my folding chairs and tailgate schwag bag and left the bag in his car...

but, google sucks, and I am curious as to how much they cost, the one w/ the clicker & electronics built in. thanks for the reply anyway. :thumbup:

I've heard that Bimmer keys are ~$100 to replace due the electronics in them these daze. However, I've never had to replace mine. I've just had copies made of my Dad's keys so I could take his car out for a spin while they went skiing. Oh, and I was ~15. :D :saywhat:

-Kevin

chop456
09-10-06, 11:13 PM

It'll be over $100 for the key, and depending on the level of suck of your VW dealer, possibly another $100 for programming.

Don Quixote
09-11-06, 08:23 AM
It'll be over $100 for the key, and depending on the level of suck of your VW dealer, possibly another $100 for programming.

Yep, my daughter spent over $200 to replace an Acura key. And with all that, the Acuras are still reportedly easy to steal.

Insomniac
09-11-06, 10:10 AM

Call the service department at the dealership and ask. :)

Ankf00
09-11-06, 10:48 AM
Call the service department at the dealership and ask. :)

meh, blue laws, dealerships are closed on Sundays.

Insomniac
09-11-06, 12:38 PM
meh, blue laws, dealerships are closed on Sundays.

Heh, didn't even notice what day you posted this.

Ankf00
09-11-06, 02:41 PM
Heh, didn't even notice what day you posted this.

yeah, Texas sucks like that, can be open sat or sun, but not both. as if people are too tempted by a trip to the car dealer to go to church :rolleyes:

Wheel-Nut
09-11-06, 02:50 PM
You got a bike?

oddlycalm
09-11-06, 07:31 PM
how much do these things go for? Be glad you found them. If you have one of the VW/Audi switchblade keys with the automatic door lock code you talking the price of a nice dinner for four at a nice restaurant plus a little programming charge for dessert.:thumdown:

oc

Ankf00
09-11-06, 07:54 PM
Be glad you found them. If you have one of the VW/Audi switchblade keys with the automatic door lock code you talking the price of a nice dinner for four at a nice restaurant plus a little programming charge for dessert.:thumdown:

oc

yep, that's the one. :\ thanks.

TKGAngel
09-11-06, 07:57 PM
yeah, Texas sucks like that, can be open sat or sun, but not both. as if people are too tempted by a trip to the car dealer to go to church :rolleyes:

Dare I even ask about liquor stores? Liquor stores here can be open on Sunday, but have to be closed one other day of the week to make up for it.

I now return you to the saga of Ank and his keys. Thank you.

Ankf00
09-11-06, 08:12 PM
beer & wine sales on Sunday only after 12 noon, uncertain about liquor stores but doubt they'd be open.

When you can't find any Kettle One, there's always the good ol' 5L Franzia sitting there waiting for ya! :tony:

chop456
09-13-06, 04:56 AM
Ketel One, you Texibilly. :gomer: :D

Called the VW stealership for a price on a replacement antenna mast - $34.50. Got it on eBay, delivered to my house for $12. :p

God I hate VWOA.

Ankf00
09-13-06, 10:23 AM
no no, Ketel's that there fancy stuff... we kin only afford the Kettle down in these here parts :tony:

Turn7
09-13-06, 10:34 AM
liquor stores are closed on Sunday. 10-9 M-Sat. Beer and wine sales 6am-2am monday - Sat; noon to midnight on Sunday.

Wabbit
09-13-06, 10:50 AM
Damn, now I have to get a key fob replaced. You're bad luck.

Luckily, I only have to replace a key fob on the Suburban, and it's under warranty. They want $50 for the clicker, and $100 to program.

JoeBob
09-13-06, 01:06 PM
Here in Minnesota, all car dealers and liquor stores are required to be closed on Sundays.

Supermarkets can only sell beer - but it cannot contain more than 3.2% alcohol, and they can't sell it between 1AM and 8AM (noon on Sundays.)

More on our crazy liquor laws: http://citypages.com/databank/24/1201/article11733.asp

chop456
09-13-06, 01:07 PM
liquor stores are required to be closed on Sundays.

That's why God put Wisconsin right across the river.

TRDfan
09-13-06, 01:27 PM
Here in Minnesota, all car dealers and liquor stores are required to be closed on Sundays.

Supermarkets can only sell beer - but it cannot contain more than 3.2% alcohol, and they can't sell it between 1AM and 8AM (noon on Sundays.)

More on our crazy liquor laws: http://citypages.com/databank/24/1201/article11733.asp

At least I'm guaranteed one day off a week.

Ankf00
09-13-06, 01:46 PM
At least I'm guaranteed one day off a week.

I'm guaranteed 2.5/week :D :p

race chica
09-13-06, 03:21 PM
That's why God put Wisconsin right across the river.

Yup- beer/wine/liqur sales all week long (depending on what city you live in). And most of the bars have off sale booze for when the bar closes :\

Warlock!
09-13-06, 03:48 PM
Ohio recently adopted the "Holy ****! We could really be rakin' in the taxes if we allow Sunday likker sales" modus operandi. I gotta say, I like it a lot.

tllips
09-13-06, 11:10 PM

I remember when Illinois was debating the dealership thing. The reason they wanted them closed on Sundays was so that the "little guy" did not have to work 7 days a week to compete with the "big" dealerships. i.e. the big dealerships had numerous employees, so they could be open 7 days without anyone actually working all seven. The little guy would have to work all seven days to compete.

Lizzerd
09-14-06, 12:14 AM
Indiana:

No car sales on Sunday.

No booze of any kind on Sunday from a liquor store or grocery store. Liquor stores can legally be open till 3:00 AM, and bars must not sell liquor after 3:00 AM. Many close earlier than that on week nights. If a place, like a bar, sells a certain percentage of food versus booze, they can sell booze on a Sunday. No anything anywhere from 3:00 AM to 7:00 AM anywhere, any day.

If an establishment (grocery store, convienience store, etc.) sells COLD beverages of any kind (milk, water, soda, etc.) they cannot sell COLD beer. Likewise, if a liquor store sells COLD beer, they cannot sell anything that is non-alcoholic COLD, like Coke. It's okay to have a machne outside the building, though.

There was a law that booze could not be sold until 12:00 PM on any Sunday, but it was changed so that Colts fans could get a beer before kickoff on game days. This was before we came into the 21st century and went to daylight saving time. I've stood in many beer lines and missed the opening kickoff there. Sucks (sucked).

JoeBob
09-14-06, 10:46 AM
I remember when Illinois was debating the dealership thing. The reason they wanted them closed on Sundays was so that the "little guy" did not have to work 7 days a week to compete with the "big" dealerships. i.e. the big dealerships had numerous employees, so they could be open 7 days without anyone actually working all seven. The little guy would have to work all seven days to compete.

I'm casually car hunting. Not buying yet, but looking at what's out there.

So, I've spent a few Sunday afternoons walking lots to take a look at what's out there without being bothered by a sales guy.

It's amazing how many other people do the same thing. I've been to a half dozen dealers, and have never been the only one strolling the lot.

racer2c
09-14-06, 10:55 AM
I'm casually car hunting. Not buying yet, but looking at what's out there.

So, I've spent a few Sunday afternoons walking lots to take a look at what's out there without being bothered by a sales guy.

It's amazing how many other people do the same thing. I've been to a half dozen dealers, and have never been the only one strolling the lot.

Sunday's are my favorite days for car shopping.