PDA

View Full Version : Potato Conspiracy

Mr. Toad
09-09-06, 09:04 PM
Cruella sent me to the grocery store for sack of spuds.
It seems that all the ten pound bags have shrunk to seven pounds.
Has anybody else found a similar situation?:irked:

pfc_m_drake
09-09-06, 10:05 PM
Not with potatoes, but I did notice the other day that what I believed were 1/2 gallon containers of ice cream now contain less than a 1/2 gallon. Not sure when that happened, but I'd guess a while ago and I've just been oblivious for the last couple of years.

Methanolandbrats
09-09-06, 10:16 PM
And for some reason jars of vaseline keep getting bigger :confused:

RusH
09-09-06, 10:28 PM
And for some reason jars of vaseline keep getting bigger :confused:

:rofl:

http://tinypic.com/esmedt.gif

dando
09-10-06, 12:35 AM
Not with potatoes, but I did notice the other day that what I believed were 1/2 gallon containers of ice cream now contain less than a 1/2 gallon. Not sure when that happened, but I'd guess a while ago and I've just been oblivious for the last couple of years.

Yup. Read a story on that in the local rag a year ago. The ice cream peeps are trying to keep the price the same for less quantity. :saywhat:

re: spuds.....I haven't noticed 10 = 7, but I picked up a 15lb. bag this week. :gomer:

-Kevin

Michaelhatesfans
09-10-06, 01:03 AM
I that think they made the bags smaller because a 10 pound bag can't take off from a conveyor belt.

cameraman
09-10-06, 01:11 AM
I buy them two at a time so I can't say that I have noticed.

RaceGrrl
09-10-06, 02:15 AM
Sheesh, it's been like that for ages... you can tell who does the grocery shopping in your house! ;)

A half gallon of ice cream hasn't been a half gallon for years now. A 16oz can of vegetables or tomato sauce is down to 15 or sometimes 14oz now. Hey, if they take one or two ounces of out of every package it amounts to big savings for the manufacturer. Until we go back to canning our own food and making our own ice cream, you get what you get.

Sad fact is that most people these days don't look at weight, they look at price and shaving an ounce here or there allows the manufacturer to keep the price stable. It's one of the most irritating things to me about food manufacturers- it messes up my recipes. :mad:

Lizzerd
09-10-06, 02:44 AM
Since when can you fit 7 pounds of potatoes into a 10 pound bag?

Oh... wait a sec... I think I have that backwards...

Never mind. :D

Rob
09-10-06, 09:47 AM
Dannon yogurt used to be 8 ounces, but they were very sneaky in hiding the reduction to 6 ounces behind a complete redesign of their packaging. Breyers seized upon this and loudly proclaimed on their facelifted packages that their own was still the same size.

Spicoli
09-10-06, 10:12 AM
:rofl:

http://tinypic.com/esmedt.gif

:mad:

do not disssrespek the gotard.:irked:

eiregosod
09-11-06, 12:07 AM
there's a term for this:

Downsizing

Even the hard hitting investigative journalism TV programs like 19/19, datelin & 46 hours do exposés on 'downsizing'.

Spicoli
09-11-06, 12:38 AM
damn SOD. that was actually pretty funny. :D