PDA

View Full Version : Molson won't be title sponsor in Toronto :(

jonovision_man
09-08-06, 09:51 AM
I'm pretty disappointed by this... end of an era. :(

Staying on to sell their crap beer, though. :saywhat:

http://torontosun.com/Sports/OtherSports/2006/09/08/1814050-sun.html

It'll be interesting to see who steps up and takes on the sponsorship of the event, Canadian companies have been notoriously crappy about this kind of thing.

Labatt's Grand Prix of Toronto?
Air Canada Grand Prix of Toronto?
Bell Canada Grand Prix of Toronto?
Telus Grand Prix of Toronto?
Rogers Grand Prix of Toronto?
RBC Grand Prix of Toronto?
Crackberry Grand Prix of Toronto?

jono

racer2c
09-08-06, 10:39 AM
Any other giant malls around?

Andrew Longman
09-08-06, 10:56 AM
Canadian Tire GP
CN
CPR
Walmart Canada GP
Bank of Nova Scotia GP?

Audi_A4
09-08-06, 11:26 AM
I prefer the Whiskey A Go-Go nudie bar GP of Toronto presented by Ford

nrc
09-08-06, 01:05 PM
So is this a "Champ car isn't worth it" move or a "we're losing our Canadian identity" move?

Sean O'Gorman
09-08-06, 01:45 PM
Champ Car Grand Prix of Toronto Presented by Bridgestone

Dr. Corkski
09-08-06, 01:51 PM
I am sure Kalkhoven will fix everything by buying Molson.

coolhand
09-08-06, 02:12 PM
I doubt any other Canadian Companies are interested, if any where they would have been in by now.

jonovision_man
09-08-06, 08:59 PM
So is this a "Champ car isn't worth it" move or a "we're losing our Canadian identity" move?

I think it's a "since our merger with Coors we're dumping our sports properties and that's caused us to re-think our marketing and it's not where we want to be" move.

jono

devilmaster
09-08-06, 09:20 PM
Well, its unfortunate, but its been a good run and they have been there through the lot of it, so Thanks to Molson.

And the new Edmonton race shows that there are companies out there willing to take on race sponsorship.... I suspect that something will happen down the road.

Jayblues
09-08-06, 09:24 PM
I think it's a "since our merger with Coors we're dumping our sports properties and that's caused us to re-think our marketing and it's not where we want to be" move.

jono

yes, coors backed off all there Denver sports sponsorships as well (except for the avalanche i think) including the grand prix, the mammoth etc.

i vote for the GP of TO presented by the brass rail.

jonovision_man
09-09-06, 07:21 AM
i vote for the GP of TO presented by the brass rail.

That'd certainly spice up the Miss Grand Prix Toronto competition. :D

jono

pferrf1
09-11-06, 11:50 AM
Best move they could do in TO I think is align themselves with Rogers. Maybe sell them a piece of the event.

Cross marketing with the Blue Jays...Sportsnet...

jonovision_man
09-11-06, 07:59 PM
Best move they could do in TO I think is align themselves with Rogers. Maybe sell them a piece of the event.

Cross marketing with the Blue Jays...Sportsnet...

Absolutely, you're right. Not only do they own the Blue Jays and Skydome (ugh... Rogers Centre... blech :)) but they also own a whack of media properties that could pump the race up. Could even be part of a bigger package including Canadian TV coverage (Rogers Sportsnet?).

Oh, to dream. :)

jono

pchall
09-12-06, 12:26 PM
We should all be glad that it isn't becoming the Coors Light Silver Bullet 300 KM Grand Prix of Lesser Golden, Colorado.