PDA

View Full Version : Klien Decides Saturday: Will He or Won't He?

racer2c
09-07-06, 08:31 PM
Bored so I figured I'd make a poll.
Oh, and he will. He'd be stupid not to.

nissan gtp
09-07-06, 08:48 PM
I'd guess he's shopping for a house in Indy.

Spicoli
09-07-06, 09:06 PM
where the **** else is he gonna go. :)

manic mechanic
09-07-06, 10:29 PM
...He's just THAT good! :rofl: :rofl:

manic

Tifosi24
09-07-06, 10:35 PM
I voted No, not because he won't take it, but because I like Neel Jani a lot more than him. Hopefully I can get some mojo working against him.

Spicoli
09-07-06, 10:39 PM
14-2.

Not going well.

http://www.freewebby.com/happy-smilies/nerd.gif

Insomniac
09-08-06, 06:56 AM
I vote yes. He doesn't want to get dumped out of the Red Bull family.

indyfan31
09-08-06, 11:34 AM
Oh, and he will. He'd be stupid not to.
... that never stopped anybody. He'll stick to his guns and wallow in obscurity.

Ed_Severson
09-09-06, 09:20 AM
Evidently he won't ... according to this story (http://f1.racing-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/060909102152.shtml).

chop456
09-09-06, 11:03 AM
And Red Bull is pissed, according to This (http://f1.racing-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/060909153925.shtml) story.

Accipiter
09-09-06, 11:26 AM
You just have to laugh at these prima-donna, F1-or-nothing drivers who would rather get a ride in a rolling heap at the back of the grid, or spend the next decade testing rather than drive a competitive race car, at a competitive team outside of F1.

Welcome Neel Jani!

Cam
09-09-06, 12:01 PM
And Red Bull is pissed, according to This (http://f1.racing-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/060909153925.shtml) story.

Wonder if RB have some clause in the contract that can hold him to them and make it extremely difficult for him to drive for another F1 team? :confused:

Ziggy
09-09-06, 12:33 PM
I dont think the series needs HIM specifically. I think his desire to run in America is pretty non existent. Not a knock on him, it's a big world and a man is free to choose where he works (for the most part, or in this case)

Give me a Justin Wilson any day of the week. Im sure there are plenty of talented Euro's who can get the job done, not to mention a bumper crop of Atlantic shoes coming up in the next few years.

Funding is always a problem aint it. This kid has the funding....:rolleyes:

Dirty Sanchez
09-09-06, 12:53 PM
dude has a point, imo...

"If I go to Champ Car now, it will be very difficult to come back. Sebastien Bourdais won the championship three times now, but nobody talks about him at all."

chop456
09-09-06, 01:16 PM
Sebastien Bourdais won the championship three times now, but nobody talks about him at all."

Nonsense.

People on innerweb message boards talk about him all the time.

Insomniac
09-09-06, 01:28 PM
dude has a point, imo...

"If I go to Champ Car now, it will be very difficult to come back. Sebastien Bourdais won the championship three times now, but nobody talks about him at all."

And the two who made it before that (Zanardi, da Matta) didn't exactly light the place up either. (BTW--Monteiro must bring a lot of money)

Sean O'Gorman
09-09-06, 02:34 PM
dude has a point, imo...

They all know he cheated to win those championships,,,,

coolhand
09-09-06, 03:08 PM
Would you want to be sent down to the Indianapolis AAA team?

extramundane
09-09-06, 03:34 PM

Depends. If he'd been offered a ride with the likes of Newman-TractionControl, Forsythe or RuSport, then I bet he'd have jumped at the chance. PKV...not so much. If he's going to be out fighting for a mid-field (at best) position, it might as well be in F1.

Dr. Corkski
09-09-06, 03:36 PM
Depends. If he'd been offered a ride with the likes of Newman-TractionControl, Forsythe or RuSport, then I bet he'd have jumped at the chance. PKV...not so much. If he's going to be out fighting for a mid-field (at best) position, it might as well be in F1.He must be afraid of that world beater Legge, just like how Lewis Hamilton is afraid of Antoine "Too good for GP2" Bessette.

coolhand
09-09-06, 04:53 PM
Depends. If he'd been offered a ride with the likes of Newman-TractionControl, Forsythe or RuSport, then I bet he'd have jumped at the chance. PKV...not so much. If he's going to be out fighting for a mid-field (at best) position, it might as well be in F1.

PKV w/ Red Bull funding will be a top notch team.

Spicoli
09-09-06, 05:05 PM

define - funding. :)

oddlycalm
09-09-06, 06:31 PM
dude has a point, imo...

"If I go to Champ Car now, it will be very difficult to come back. Sebastien Bourdais won the championship three times now, but nobody talks about him at all." Agreed that he's got a point but this guy had his shot and is on a one way trip to obscurity regardless where he goes. Nobody will remember him 5 minutes after he's gone regardless where he's gone to.

His real choice was had between a paid for drive in a series equal to his abilities or driving to the unemployment line...:\

oc

Insomniac
09-09-06, 07:09 PM

I think it all depends on what you want to do. He wants to be in F1 and believes going to Champ Car will take him further away from it. I can't find fault in that logic. If he just wants to race competitively in an OW car, Champ Car could've provided that opportunity. In the end, he weighed it and was willing to lose the Red Bull support.

Insomniac
09-09-06, 07:11 PM
Agreed that he's got a point but this guy had his shot and is on a one way trip to obscurity regardless where he goes. Nobody will remember him 5 minutes after he's gone regardless where he's gone to.

His real choice was had between a paid for drive in a series equal to his abilities or driving to the unemployment line...:\

oc

I wouldn't really look at that as a once in a lifetime opportunity to race in Champ Car. He's young and fast. He could change his mind at some point and probably get a ride and find money if needed.

extramundane
09-09-06, 07:11 PM

Do you seriously think funding is the reason for the team's overall lack of success?

jonovision_man
09-09-06, 07:15 PM
I think it all depends on what you want to do. He wants to be in F1 and believes going to Champ Car will take him further away from it. I can't find fault in that logic. If he just wants to race competitively in an OW car, Champ Car could've provided that opportunity. In the end, he weighed it and was willing to lose the Red Bull support.

Yup. CCWS-to-F1 is a longer shot than ever now, SB is the poster boy for that one.

This works for everyone. I don't think PKV/CCWS want a driver racing here that doesn't want to be here either.

jono

extramundane
09-09-06, 07:17 PM
He must be afraid of that world beater Legge, just like how Lewis Hamilton is afraid of Antoine "Too good for GP2" Bessette.

:rofl:

coolhand
09-09-06, 07:42 PM
Do you seriously think funding is the reason for the team's overall lack of success?

No, but with two good drivers next year and with the new managment I would say yes.

Dr. Corkski
09-09-06, 08:08 PM
Do you seriously think funding is the reason for the team's overall lack of success?Yes. Even Kalkhoven doesn't have enough money to buy Legge Champ Car level talent.

oddlycalm
09-20-06, 01:35 PM
Klien strikes out at Spyker for the #3 seat. I get that his focus is on F1, but turning down the $2 million plus a paid for seat in CCWS when you can't make the cut for a #3 seat on a backmarker team looks pretty silly.

oc

diamond dave
09-20-06, 01:58 PM
Klien strikes out at Spyker for the #3 seat. I get that his focus is on F1, but turning down the $2 million plus a paid for seat in CCWS when you can't make the cut for a #3 seat on a backmarker team looks pretty silly.

oc

isn't that just for this weekend he sits out?

Tifosi24
09-20-06, 03:57 PM
isn't that just for this weekend he sits out?

Rest of the season as Spyker has confirmed all of its third drivers for the duration of the season. I believe Premat (Shanghai0, Stuil (Suzuka), and Viso (Interlagos). You can double check on autosport.com seeing as their news stories are back to free, excellent.

jonovision_man
11-15-06, 12:38 PM

oc

Looks a lot less silly now:

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/formulaone/33994/

Christian Klien’s gamble in turning down Red Bull’s offer of a Champ Car ride has paid off as he has landed the Honda testing role for 2007.

jono

cameraman
11-15-06, 01:21 PM

Servia was just as, if not more successful driving for Dale Coyne than he is driving for PKV. I don't think PKV's problems are due to a lack of cash.

extramundane
11-15-06, 02:03 PM
Servia was just as, if not more successful driving for Dale Coyne than he is driving for PKV. I don't think PKV's problems are due to a lack of cash.

They're nothing without Craig Pollock.

Accipiter
11-15-06, 03:12 PM
Looks a lot less silly now:

Christian Klien’s gamble in turning down Red Bull’s offer of a Champ Car ride has paid off as he has landed the Honda testing role for 2007.

jono

Score! Now he can look forward to a career as rewarding and exciting as Riccardo Zonta's! :rolleyes: :shakehead

jonovision_man
11-15-06, 05:07 PM
Score! Now he can look forward to a career as rewarding and exciting as Riccardo Zonta's! :rolleyes: :shakehead

Zonta has started 36 F1 races. For those keeping score, that's 36 more than Bourdais. :p

Klien still wants to be in F1. He's in the right place to do that.

jono

extramundane
11-15-06, 05:10 PM

He's practically the next Anthony Davidson.

jonovision_man
11-15-06, 05:14 PM
He's practically the next Anthony Davidson.

... who just signed on to race at Super Aguri full-time in 2007....

Why doesn't anyone bring up Kovalainen? He just went from testing to a full-time race seat at Renault.

jono

extramundane
11-15-06, 05:22 PM
... who just signed on to race at Super Aguri full-time in 2007....

Yes, after years of testing for BAR/Honda, starting just 3 races (two of which weren't even for BAR) while the likes of Jesus Villeneuve, Takuma Sato and Button Spice droned around endlessly with little to show for their efforts, Davidson landed a cherry contract with the worst team to grace F1 since Lola-Mastercard folded.

If that ain't every little boy's dream, I don't know what is.

jonovision_man
11-15-06, 05:39 PM
Yes, after years of testing for BAR/Honda, starting just 3 races (two of which weren't even for BAR) while the likes of Jesus Villeneuve, Takuma Sato and Button Spice droned around endlessly with little to show for their efforts, Davidson landed a cherry contract with the worst team to grace F1 since Lola-Mastercard folded.

If that ain't every little boy's dream, I don't know what is.

Davidon's Super Aguri ride is quite clearly an audition for Barichello's seat for 2008.

Look down the grid at the new drivers for 2007:
- Kovalainen - F1 testing
- Kubica - F1 testing
- Davidson - F1 testing
- Wurz - F1 testing
- Hamilton (possibly) - GP2/F1 testing

F1 testing is not a guarantee you'll land an F1 ride, but not testing in F1 is pretty much a guarantee you won't.

jono

Spicoli
11-15-06, 05:51 PM
Zonta has started 36 F1 races. For those keeping score, that's 36 more than Bourdais. :p
jono

:p

Now that's some proper hatin right there.:thumbup: :D

jonovision_man
11-15-06, 10:36 PM
:p

Now that's some proper hatin right there.:thumbup: :D

Hey now, I'm probably one of SB's biggest fans around here (given that almost everyone else seems to hate him!).

But clearly he took the wrong route if F1 was his ultimate goal.

jono

extramundane
11-16-06, 12:14 AM
Davidon's Super Aguri ride is quite clearly an audition for Barichello's seat for 2008.

So after having tested for Honda for half-decade, they ship him off to the B-team that disgraces even the term "B-team" with the vain hopes that, at the end of what's likely to be a futile season, his closing-in-on-30 ass gets a proper Honda seat?

Yeah, I guess that's still better than driving for PKV.

Spicoli
11-16-06, 12:52 AM
So after having tested for Honda for half-decade, they ship him off to the B-team that disgraces even the term "B-team" with the vain hopes that, at the end of what's likely to be a futile season, his closing-in-on-30 ass gets a proper Honda seat?

BAM.:thumbup:

Insomniac
11-16-06, 09:44 AM
Hey now, I'm probably one of SB's biggest fans around here (given that almost everyone else seems to hate him!).

You're nuts. Everyone hates PT!

jonovision_man
11-16-06, 09:56 AM

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. I'm not making that case.

The case I am making is that if you want to be an F1 driver, then F1 testing is the place to be.

Klien wants to be an F1 driver. He's now F1 testing with one of the top teams. Good on him.

jono

Accipiter
11-16-06, 11:14 AM

Klien still wants to be in F1. He's in the right place to do that.

jono

Yeah, and Klein looks to be matching Zonta's move from regular race driver, to career tester. Chawsome! :thumbup:

jonovision_man
11-16-06, 12:09 PM
Yeah, and Klein looks to be matching Zonta's move from regular race driver, to career tester. Chawsome! :thumbup:

Or he could match Wurz and go from regular race driver to tester and back to race driver. :p

Or he could match de la Rosa and go from regular race driver to tester back to fill-in race driver with a shot at being a regular racing at the pointy end of the grid.

Lots of ways this could turn out for Klien, but if he came to ChampCar there is only one way it would have turned out: b-bye F1.

jono

trauma1
11-16-06, 12:14 PM
Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. I'm not making that case.

The case I am making is that if you want to be an F1 driver, then F1 testing is the place to be.

Klien wants to be an F1 driver. He's now F1 testing with one of the top teams. Good on him.

jono

jono I don't see this getting him a ride, i see him like marc Gene from ferrari a professional tester, like glock has become,

G.
11-16-06, 01:44 PM

Yeah, I guess that's still better than driving for PKV.OW.

:laugh:

Gnam
11-16-06, 03:12 PM
Looking back, I wonder if Bourdais would trade his last two CCWS titles for a ride with Super Aguri.

trauma1
11-16-06, 04:16 PM
Looking back, I wonder if Bourdais would trade his last two CCWS titles for a ride with Super Aguri.

in CC he has winnning cars, i just do not understand running for aguri, jordan , spyker,and the back markers how that can be challenging or rewarding other than the paycheck, it cannot be fun year in year out haviing a team that sucks and no chance in even finishiing midpack

Spicoli
11-16-06, 04:36 PM

I think he would fit in well in EARL.:gomer:

Smarmy, cheating, lying FreFu.:mad:

jonovision_man
01-10-08, 03:45 PM
Guess he should have taken the PKV ride when he had the chance...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/64622

"Obviously my first choice remains Formula One. It is important to me, however, to keep my race skills fully exercised. Therefore, I have been considering other options for the 2008 season.

"There are good opportunities outside of Formula One, that I want to explore and I am very much looking forward to developments in the coming weeks."

ChampCar... A1GP... any other options?

jono