<=== socks gone. :gomer: :tony: :D

-Kevin

Indy
09-07-06, 05:47 PM
Was that a real team to start with?

cart7
09-09-06, 06:34 PM
Was that a real team to start with?

They had the catering end of the deal locked up. The rest of the stuff like a car and equipment must have been the deal breaker.

pchall
09-09-06, 06:48 PM
They had the catering end of the deal locked up. The rest of the stuff like a car and equipment must have been the deal breaker.

Just another way to flip race fans the byrd.

Indy
09-09-06, 11:19 PM
Weren't they the catering end of catergate?

JT265
09-09-06, 11:29 PM
Weren't they the catering end of catergate?

Yeah they were.

Jervis Tetch 1
09-10-06, 12:00 AM
Utterly amazing.

coolhand
09-10-06, 12:27 AM
What is the story here?

cameraman
09-10-06, 01:08 AM
Who the hell is/was Byrd Brothers Racing?

Lizzerd
09-10-06, 03:19 AM
Who the hell is/was Byrd Brothers Racing?

John (maybe Jon) Byrd own(ed) a huge buffet restaraunt on the far south side of Indy. He passed away a couple years ago, I think. The brothers Byrd may be his sons?

For many years, though, Byrd sponsored one-off I500 teams. The most recent that I remember, because I don't care or follow earl much, was in 1996. when Arie Luyendyk set the track record in an out of spec CART chassis and Ford engine. But, of course, all the teams were powered by Ford that year (thanks a lot) and all the chassis' were out of spec CART chassis'.

And to answer the catergate question, yes, TG and his surrogates declared that Byrd would be the sole supplier of food to the paddock for I don't know how many years. At least '96. That meant that the gourmet chefs, or cooks if you prefer, for every team in the paddock, including the wait staff, etc., was out of work for the month of May at IMS. Every food buffet at every hospitality tent was identical, and paid for at exorbitant prices.

Just a couple little, forgotten facts of what The Vision has brought us.

Spicoli
09-10-06, 10:29 AM
spent all their money on food, not isp bill.

http://www.jonathanbyrds.com/index.1.jpg

GETINMYBELLY!

:yuck: :tony: :shakehead

Tony George
09-10-06, 11:12 AM
:rofl: :eek: :D

nrc
09-10-06, 12:49 PM
But, of course, all the teams were powered by Ford that year (thanks a lot) and all the chassis' were out of spec CART chassis'.Actually there were some Menards (nee Buicks) and didn't someone get permission to run a couple of Mercedes?

Ford made the same mistake as many before and many since - they figured Tony was a reasonable, intelligent businessman and if you did business with him you could talk some sense into him over time. As in every other case, they were wrong on all counts. :tony:

extramundane
09-10-06, 12:55 PM
Actually there were some Menards (nee Buicks) and didn't someone get permission to run a couple of Mercedes?

Galles did, but I believe they ran as Ilmor without Mercedes badging.

RTKar
09-10-06, 01:27 PM
John (maybe Jon) Byrd own(ed) a huge buffet restaraunt on the far south side of Indy. He passed away a couple years ago, I think. The brothers Byrd may be his sons?

For many years, though, Byrd sponsored one-off I500 teams. The most recent that I remember, because I don't care or follow earl much, was in 1996. when Arie Luyendyk set the track record in an out of spec CART chassis and Ford engine. But, of course, all the teams were powered by Ford that year (thanks a lot) and all the chassis' were out of spec CART chassis'.

And to answer the catergate question, yes, TG and his surrogates declared that Byrd would be the sole supplier of food to the paddock for I don't know how many years. At least '96. That meant that the gourmet chefs, or cooks if you prefer, for every team in the paddock, including the wait staff, etc., was out of work for the month of May at IMS. Every food buffet at every hospitality tent was identical, and paid for at exorbitant prices.

Just a couple little, forgotten facts of what The Vision has brought us.

Didn't that start in '94 or there about? I recall Tony Bettenhausen complaining about it amongst other things at IMS....like having to run every day in May to stay semi competative. (A great anti TG voice lost when he passed away.)

theunions
09-10-06, 04:30 PM

I believe he's still alive, but he's been in poor health the last 1-2 years. Yes, they're his sons. They still own the joint.

Indy
09-10-06, 09:26 PM
If I remember correctly, catergate was offensive on two levels. Firstly, it was yet another way that IMS sucked the teams dry with ridiculous pricing at the track. Secondly, it essentially required that everyone at the track, even the guys spending hundreds of thousands on VIP suites, be reduced to gastronomical gomers by the ingestion of cold, greasy baked beans, cheap lasagna and lard-laden fried chicken.

It was Tony's way of saying, "you uppity caviar-eating CART types ain't no better than me and my sisters." :tony:

Mr. Newman was not impressed.

Lizzerd
09-10-06, 10:01 PM
Didn't that start in '94 or there about? I recall Tony Bettenhausen complaining about it amongst other things at IMS....like having to run every day in May to stay semi competative. (A great anti TG voice lost when he passed away.)

You're probably right about that. I don't remember when it started. I just made a rash assumption that it had to do with one of the the other (earl) brilliant moves by The Inheiritor.

Spicoli
09-10-06, 11:01 PM
Back when we had our turn 2 Suite, it was all Jugs Catering all the time.

http://www.jugscatering.com/

It's 100% Gomerific. Fried chicken, baked beans, slaw, corn and the bestest applebutter n biscuits. :D

Now its a whole lotta Crystal Catering, Jugs and some other crap I can't recall.

Don Quixote
09-11-06, 08:17 AM
I can only guess why they call him "Jug".

Spicoli
09-11-06, 08:47 AM
^^^ He is bigger than 2 of the Byrds. :gomer:

(foods just as bad for you, but he's northside, and its tastes a little better)