PDA

View Full Version : Moreno on Today's Test

racer2c
09-06-06, 09:04 PM
“It was pretty brutal today,” said Moreno. ”It is really hot and humid here and we are trying to get in as many miles as we can and I’m impressed with how consistent the car is through an entire stint. The car is very reliable, the gear shifts are smooth, the brakes are predictable and the Bridgestone tires are wearing very well. Our lap times are consistent and we are getting about 60 laps per set. It is amazing how the balance isn’t changing from full tanks to empty tanks, the only thing that changes is the lap times are quicker and that is on a very basic setup. More so I am impressed with how I am handling it after three years out of a Champ Car. I have been able to get up to speed quickly and running consistent lap times, that is something to be very proud of in the hot summer.”

This week’s testing will wrap-up tomorrow with the third test of the Panoz DP01 starting next Monday at Sebring and continuing until Friday, September 15.

I find his comments on how amazed he was with the balance on full and empty tanks.

Link (http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/32308/)

Insomniac
09-07-06, 08:25 AM
I find his comments on how amazed he was with the balance on full and empty tanks.

Link (http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/32308/)

I'm glad things are going well. But, does a basic setup mean a very conservative one where you'd expect the car to be balanced but not get on pole?

NismoZ
09-07-06, 07:07 PM
For me the most important thing here is how much fun Roberto seems to be having. I'm sure he's being paid to do this but I think he'd do it for free!:) Any word on lap times, or is it a big secret? Sure hope this thing ends up being faster than the Lola when things get serious. I hear 3 open tests with all teams in Jan/Feb/Mar with all data shared. Aiming at a level start.

pferrf1
09-07-06, 07:15 PM
I'm glad things are going well. But, does a basic setup mean a very conservative one where you'd expect the car to be balanced but not get on pole?

I think you are right. I don't think they're playing with the set up in any way that would make the car loose. Probably give him a bit of understeer and lots of downforce. The key is to keep the car on the track running, and not stuffed into the tire barriers.

He, Elkins and Parrott gave all said the goal is to run the heck out of the car, and test teh components, not to make it go fast. They said they'd leave that testing to the teams in the spring.

Roberto doesn't miss a chance at telling how he's 'up to speed'. I think he'd still like a ride out there.