PDA

View Full Version : Chuck Klosterman

racer2c
09-06-06, 04:21 PM
Anyone read any of his stuff? A bud at work has been pestering me to read Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs for some time but just the name itself is too pretentious for my taste.
Today CNN had a story and mentioned some of this guys detractors. I did a bit of reading and found an article I thought was hysterical. It's kinda long and has harsh language so be carefull if at work, but worth the ten minutes IMO.

I HAVE FOUND the metaphor for everything vile in my generation, and its name is Chuck Klosterman. I cannot ever recall reading a book as toxic, disingenuous and stupid as Klosterman’s new collection of essays, Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs.

Among his many postures is the one that he’s "crazy" or "insane," as he repeatedly describes himself without a shred of evidence. If anything, he only proves how utterly common and bourgeois he is, such as in this infuriating comparison:

The best relationship I ever had was with a journalist who was as crazy as me, and some of our coworkers liked to compare us to Sid Vicious and Nancy Spungen. At the time, I used to think, ‘Yeah, that’s completely valid: We fight all the time, our love is self-destructive, and–if she was mysteriously killed–I’m sure I’d be wrongly arrested for second-degree murder before dying from an overdose.’ We even watched Sid & Nancy in her parents’ basement and giggled the whole time. ‘That’s us,’ we said gleefully.

In other words, Klosterman and his girlfriend would be as crazy as Sid and Nancy if they were shooting smack on a stained mattress in the Chelsea and not sitting in their parents’ basement watching tv, giggling and drinking chocolate milk.

:D

Link (http://www.nypress.com/16/35/news&columns/feature.cfm)

rabbit
09-06-06, 05:02 PM
Never heard of him

devilmaster
09-06-06, 07:16 PM
Most truly 'crazy' or 'insane' people are not able to realize that their actions are wrong or different. They believe their actions are normal from their perspective. That is why they are labeled so.

racer2c
09-06-06, 08:36 PM
Most truly 'crazy' or 'insane' people are not able to realize that their actions are wrong or different. They believe their actions are normal from their perspective. That is why they are labeled so.

Good point.

I wish I were a cosmopolitan 'essayest' (sic).