PDA

View Full Version : No more Chin?

dando
09-06-06, 11:38 AM
Looks like he's hanging up the nomex after this season:

http://x.go.com/cgi/x.pl?goto=http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?seriesId=6&id=2575660&name=FPT-2575660-090611&srvc=sz

No JV, no JPM, and no Chin....what will Corky and Dirty complain about now? :gomer:

-Kevin

Spicoli
09-06-06, 11:53 AM
Holy Leiderhosen. :saywhat:

Well, that was fun.

chop456
09-06-06, 12:03 PM
If it's true - good move.

If he ends up winning the WDC, he goes out on the ultimate high note. If he doesn't, announcing his retirement before the end of the season at least gives the impression that it wasn't a rash, sour grapes decision.

oddlycalm
09-06-06, 01:20 PM
Leaving with his health and skills undiminished is a smart call. He's had a long run, the most successful of any driver in history, and there is only one way it can go from here should he continue.

oc

RacinM3
09-06-06, 02:05 PM
truebrit's going to be CRUSHED! :laugh:

Insomniac
09-06-06, 03:17 PM
Probably means Kimi is heading to Ferrari.

devilmaster
09-06-06, 07:11 PM
If its true, this could be one of the most silliest silly seasons ever.

nissan gtp
09-06-06, 07:20 PM
please let this be true :thumbup:

coolhand
09-06-06, 08:16 PM
End of a very long era.

16 years?

RichK
09-06-06, 08:47 PM
I had a feeling after watching him take the walk of shame in Monaco, after he was penalized for cheating.

Great driver who changed the sport, bad sportsman.

Willam
09-07-06, 12:11 AM
Whatever you think of the man you have to admit, It was one helluva ride :thumbup:

TrueBrit
09-07-06, 10:36 AM
truebrit's going to be CRUSHED! :laugh:

Dirty, cheating, chopping, quitting, pointy-chinned bastard.....:D

rabbit
09-07-06, 10:42 AM
NASCAR? :\

The Doctor
09-07-06, 11:11 AM
NASCAR? :\

He's already crashed into Jacques.

WestMcLarenF1
09-07-06, 11:49 AM

I'm getting the impression that you didn't care for Herr Schumacher. ;)

RacinM3
09-07-06, 11:50 AM

Haha...I almost missed that you slipped "quitting" in there! :laugh:

Insomniac
09-08-06, 05:35 PM
During practice, they mentioned that the paddock was speculating MS is getting forced out of Ferrari. If true, all I can say is wow.

NismoZ
09-08-06, 08:22 PM
No biggie...Sebastian Vettel is ready to step in. Can Charlie Kimball be far behind??:)

Hard Driver
09-09-06, 12:53 AM
During practice, they mentioned that the paddock was speculating MS is getting forced out of Ferrari. If true, all I can say is wow.

I heard that. The speculation was that Kimi was going there and was "the future" for Ferrari and they have to grab him now, while they can. But that basically leaves no room for Schumacher, who I guess they believe is on the downslope at his age.

Yet seems to me that since HE is the one that is challanging for the title this year, how far down the downslope can he be.

Personally do think that Schumacher has every record and may look at it all and say, I have every record other that the number of starts. And that one just means you held on too long the longest. Quite while ahead and go spend some of those hundreds of millions of bucks.

I am also glad to see that cheating, chopping, dirty bastard go.

Insomniac
09-09-06, 10:15 AM
I heard that. The speculation was that Kimi was going there and was "the future" for Ferrari and they have to grab him now, while they can. But that basically leaves no room for Schumacher, who I guess they believe is on the downslope at his age.

Yet seems to me that since HE is the one that is challanging for the title this year, how far down the downslope can he be.

People always say he's the #1 driver and as such, he is set up to win the races. With the single pit, it's hard to know for sure, but you have MS generally outqualifying his teammate in the same car and going at least a lap longer before pitting.

People also say he wants it that way and that is why he and Kimi couldn't co-exist because Kimi wouldn't join to be #2.

devilmaster
09-10-06, 09:38 AM
Its Official. He announced it at the Winner's interview.

nissan gtp
09-10-06, 09:39 AM
bye-bye

MS to Champ Car :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Mary
09-10-06, 09:54 AM
I haven't posted on a racing forum in years, but I can't believe this! I hate Ferrari! They're idiots if they think they are gonna keep winning without Schumacher. They need to remember the years between Lauda's departure and Schumacher's arrival because that's what they're going back to!

I'm not a big Schumacher fan (Jerez 1997), but he has had an unbelievable career and deserved to be able to leave on his own terms. I do think this is a good time for him to retire; he has seen his best days as a driver, but not like this.

As for Ferrari, it will be fun next season as they take the first step of the long slide back into mediocrity.

Mary

mapguy
09-10-06, 10:11 AM
This has to be one of the happiest days of my life. :thumbup:

Andrew Longman
09-10-06, 10:20 AM
Interesting that part of his given reason for announcing now is to give Massa time to make decisions about his next year.

Massa might want to #2 to MS but not Kimi? #2 seat at Ferrari is better than most but was that a way of letting him know just how messed up Ferrari is with choosing to move MS out?

mueber
09-10-06, 05:54 PM
The smart move is to quit now, but it's not about what is smart. It's about what he wants to do. I'll believe he's gone if he isn't in a McLaren at the first race of the 2007 season.

Hard Driver
09-11-06, 02:21 AM
I'm not a big Schumacher fan (Jerez 1997), but he has had an unbelievable career and deserved to be able to leave on his own terms. I do think this is a good time for him to retire; he has seen his best days as a driver, but not like this.

As for Ferrari, it will be fun next season as they take the first step of the long slide back into mediocrity.

Mary

Agree. Although maybe just past his prime Schumacher is good enough to win another Championship or two more. I dislike the man, but respect his talent.

RacinM3
09-11-06, 02:35 AM
I don't believe that Ferrari forced him out. I DO believe that Ferrari knows that MS is in the twilight of his career and believes at best he'd be there through '07, then retire. With that in mind, I think they locked up Kimi, who of course is not going to agree to be a #2 behind MS. I also believe that MS has had #1 status contractually his entire time at Ferrari.

So, I think Ferrari unhappily forced his hand, knowing that by signing Kimi, MS would not be back as an equal #1. Too bad, as it might have been cool to see the two of them fighting for race wins (but maybe at the expense of the WDC, and I think those glory days ended with Prost/Senna).

If what I say is true, it doesn't say much about MS's character, but I think we all know his character, not his talent, has been questionable for some years now.

I believe Ferrari is going to see a personnel exodus now, and agree that the team will backslide next year, and Kimi might just implode.

Insomniac
09-11-06, 09:54 AM
The smart move is to quit now, but it's not about what is smart. It's about what he wants to do. I'll believe he's gone if he isn't in a McLaren at the first race of the 2007 season.

Ferrari announced he would still be with them in some capacity. Perhaps a test driver? If he is testing the new cars, he could also step in to a seat if either driver had to miss a race.

TrueBrit
09-11-06, 10:03 AM
I can now buy Ferrari gear again!!

No more dirty, cheating, chopping, poinyt-chinned bastard to kick around....

What WILL i do now?

:D

Michaelhatesfans
09-11-06, 12:41 PM

What WILL i do now?

Dedicate more time to figuring out ways to pry a widget out of an empty can of Boddington's?

:cool:

oddlycalm
09-11-06, 02:14 PM
I haven't posted on a racing forum in years, but I can't believe this!
- snip -
Hey Mary, nice to see you back for the occasion.

I agree, Kimi is a great driver, but that's it, he's a driver. Schumacher's success came because he was not only a top driver but a strong team leader. Without his leadership and with the coming personnel exodus I don't see Ferrari being close to the same in the future.

The only caveat would be if they can convince him to remain involved on the organizational and testing level. Anyone think he could succeed Todt as team boss?

oc

eiregosod
09-11-06, 03:31 PM
About 5 years ago, I was attending a lecture given by Gary Anderson. he said that Schumi was the best driver he ever worked with, that was only for one race. He said that Schumi asked them how the car should be driven, and he was very impressed with the Chin's attitude. he also said that he went though Eau Rouge flat out.

racer2c
09-11-06, 04:30 PM
Ferrari doens't spend 400 million a year to flounder around mid-pack. They will be contenders. Shuey was a great driver no doubt, robotic, but great. But even drivers who don't have the cohesive leadership characteristics as MS will be able to get that Ferrari accross the finish line first.

Now, if Ross Brawn retires too...that's a different story.

oddlycalm
09-11-06, 07:17 PM
Now, if Ross Brawn retires too...that's a different story. Brawn and Todt have already talked about leaving and I imagine there will be more. They've had a good run, but it's been a lot of hard work for everyone. The next 24 months will bring big changes at Ferrari.

oc

emjaya
09-11-06, 07:49 PM

What WILL i do now?

There's a lot to dislike about Alonso. ;) :D