PDA

View Full Version : AJA will race trucks

coolhand
09-04-06, 08:43 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news?slug=insidedishmartinwillbean&prov=tsn&type=lgns

Canadian open-wheel star Paul Tracy will drive a limited schedule for Riley-D'Hondt Motorsports next season in the Busch Series. Tracy says the team will be competitive because Bill and Bob Riley have the chassis experience, Eddie D'Hondt has the NASCAR background and the team will get solid manufacturer backing, most likely from Toyota. ...

A.J. Allmendinger, the only American in the Champ Car series, tested with Mike Skinner in a truck for Bill Davis Racing last week at Richmond International Raceway. Bill Davis described Allmendinger, 24, as "smart and smooth." Davis says Allmendinger will race for BDR before the end of the season, possibly as early as September 16 at New Hampshire. ...

RusH
09-04-06, 10:16 PM
I race trucks with a #3 on them every day on I75:gomer:

Fio1
09-05-06, 12:20 AM
Why would guys who still have jobs in CCWS want to leave to race taxi cabs? :shakehead

FanofMario
09-05-06, 12:28 AM
Why would guys who still have jobs in CCWS want to leave to race taxi cabs? :shakehead

A whole bunch of Yen/ $$ is the only reason.:flame:

cameraman
09-05-06, 02:14 AM
They haven't said that they are leaving CCWS. The Champ Car schedule leaves them with 30+ weekends off every year.

NismoZ
09-05-06, 09:14 AM
Yeah, but a couple of races BEFORE the close of a championship run in CC? Good luck. Strike while the iron is hot, I guess.

KaBoom21
09-05-06, 10:47 AM
I race trucks with a #3 on them every day on I75:gomer:

:rofl:

Accipiter
09-05-06, 11:08 AM
Why would guys who still have jobs in CCWS want to leave to race taxi cabs?

I don't know about A.J., but here's Paul's take:

Tracy is fifth in the 2006 Champ Car standings and has signed a contract to return with Forsythe Racing next year. But Tracy, who has 30 career victories on the Champ Car circuit, could run a full NASCAR schedule in 2008 if things pan out.

"I'd like to, but it's all about getting into stuff that you can win in," Tracy said. "I just signed a new contract with Forsythe which basically will allow me to run Champ cars until I want to stop.

"It allows me to go and do this and try to pick and choose the best races to do. Then if the right kind of deal comes together, then I can take a hard look at it. But I'm not dumping my Champ Car career and then hoping I can get a deal."

http://www.scenedaily.com/stories/2006/08/28/scene_daily53.html

Wheel-Nut
09-05-06, 11:19 AM
Yeah, but a couple of races BEFORE the close of a championship run in CC? Good luck. Strike while the iron is hot, I guess.

another reason the CC schedule needs to be "tightened" up a bit. No more 4 weeks between races.

Good Luck to AJ.

spinner26
09-05-06, 11:53 AM
This will not be as much an ability issue as experience issue. This truck will finish in the wall or in the garage MANY laps down.

Hope he gets a nice paycheck anyway. :-/

TKGAngel
09-05-06, 12:13 PM
ESPN's reporting that he's going to do the Truck race at New Hampshire as mentioned above, plus the truck race at Talladega.

Spicoli
09-05-06, 12:56 PM
what you think Forsythe is paying AJA? :confused:

Wheel-Nut
09-05-06, 12:59 PM
what you think Forsythe is paying AJA? :confused:

More than he was paying FAF!

Sorry, AJA / FAF . . . any other cool initials in CC?

I have no idea what AJA gets paid.

racer2c
09-05-06, 01:47 PM
Whether AJ wants to be a household name or make more money, or both, whatever, he'll do what he is going to do. I'm rather surprised that this is going on prior to CC's "breakout" season. How a driver can go from a 750hp, paddle shifting sweet machine in the DP01 to a long throw four speed, power steering 600hp tank. Oh that's right...money. Whatever. Bring on Rahal's boy. Oh, and send "gods gift" over here Mikey.

RichK
09-05-06, 01:53 PM
I've got no problem with it - if he wants to make a living in racing, he's got to go where the paychex are. Pretty simple.

Spicoli
09-05-06, 02:32 PM
Well, there ya have it ladies and germs.:gomer:

S'all bout da Bwenjaminzzzz.:shakehead

Seriously, seriously, isn't that why we all go to work anyway? To get the most money we can?

{except for SOG-tard; he's in claims for da Ladies, fo shizzy!)

racer2c
09-05-06, 02:40 PM
Well, there ya have it ladies and germs.:gomer:

S'all bout da Bwenjaminzzzz.:shakehead

Seriously, seriously, isn't that why we all go to work anyway? To get the most money we can?

{except for SOG-tard; he's in claims for da Ladies, fo shizzy!)

Then why have a Champ Car, IRL, ALMS, NHRA et al? They only detract from the global domination of Herr France. Champ Car should have sold to NASCAR, then they'd all be billionaires with t-shirts gallore!:gomer:

I wonder what a NASCAR Champ Car would look like? Considering the DP's...*shudder*. But at least they'd all be rich!:)

oddlycalm
09-05-06, 03:14 PM
Then why have a Champ Car, IRL, ALMS, NHRA et al? They only detract from the global domination of Herr France. During a discussion of F1 last night over dinner with a Japanese gentleman that is not familiar with US racing I described NASCAR to him. I told him how much the cars weighed, what the chassis and the engines were like, then told him that Toyota was entering the series. If he didn't know me well already he simply would not have believed me. When he realized I was serious he started laughing and asked why? Why indeed.

By any rational objective standard NASCAR is crap. I can't blame drivers for wanting to fatten their wallets, but if NASCAR succeeds in killing off all other types of racing the US will not only be the poorer for it, but we'll be the laughingstock of the world.

oc

Spicoli
09-05-06, 03:21 PM
During a discussion of F1 last night over dinner with a Japanese gentleman that is not familiar with US racing I described NASCAR to him. I told him how much the cars weighed, what the chassis and the engines were like, then told him that Toyota was entering the series. If he didn't know me well already he simply would not have believed me. When he realized I was serious he started laughing and asked why? Why indeed.

By any rational objective standard NASCAR is crap. I can't blame drivers for wanting to fatten their wallets, but if NASCAR succeeds in killing off all other types of racing the US will not only be the poorer for it, but we'll be the laughingstock of the world.

oc

i see your point, but i disagree. NASCAR won;t kill off F1. And there will always be OW in the US. It will likely suck, but it will be here.

plus, US is gomer/goober paradise. why you think all these reality TV shows are such a hit?:laugh:

grungex
09-05-06, 03:24 PM
Ding ding ding!

TKGAngel
09-05-06, 03:37 PM
plus, US is gomer/goober paradise. why you think all these reality TV shows are such a hit?:laugh:

Not to rain on your parade, but several US reality shows are based off of shows that started abroad. American Idol, Big Brother, Dancing with the Stars, etc.

nrc
09-05-06, 03:49 PM
I'll worry about this when he announces a full season deal for something other than Champ car. He's got an agent now. He deserves a big deal in Champ car (when was the last time a third year guy ticked off four wins in a season?) and Gerry isn't going to show him the money without competition.

Spicoli
09-05-06, 03:49 PM
Not to rain on your parade, but several US reality shows are based off of shows that started abroad. American Idol, Big Brother, Dancing with the Stars, etc.

what's hilarious is that you know that. :rofl:

nrc
09-05-06, 03:50 PM

Some folks get BBCA. Hint: adjusting your rabbit ears won't help. :p

Spicoli
09-05-06, 04:03 PM
Some folks get BBCA. Hint: adjusting your rabbit ears won't help. :p

classic rock *and* reality tee-vee! http://www.freewebby.com/happy-smilies/laughat.gif

TKGAngel
09-05-06, 04:04 PM

Thanks...I think. :)

And I do get BBCA, never watched it except for the random AbFab rerun.

emjaya
09-05-06, 05:16 PM
Is it because NASCAR/trucks are easier to get into than any open wheeled race series?
Three tiers with 42? cars, thats a lot of drivers needed and a good driver is a good driver in any car. :saywhat:

:)

nrc
09-05-06, 05:52 PM
classic rock *and* reality tee-vee! http://www.freewebby.com/happy-smilies/laughat.gif
http://i14.ebayimg.com/05/i/08/28/22/02_1.JPG:thumbup:

racer2c
09-05-06, 05:54 PM
Is it because NASCAR/trucks are easier to get into than any open wheeled race series?
Three tiers with 42? cars, thats a lot of drivers needed and a good driver is a good driver in any car. :saywhat:

:)

Road courses and short oval sure, but cookie cutters and super-speedways? Nah.

emjaya
09-05-06, 06:29 PM
It just seems a lot of big names are going or looking at going to NASCAR.
J.V and Montoya from F1, P.T and AJ.A from Champcar and, maybe a little off your radar, Marcos Ambrose is having his first year in trucks.

Add to that list Danica and Hornish ? from the Earl and you have a steady flow of top drivers seeing the tintops as a viable alternative.

Spicoli
09-05-06, 06:56 PM
J.V and Montoya from F1, P.T and AJ.A from Champcar and, maybe a little off your radar, Marcos Ambrose is having his first year in trucks.

Add to that list Danica and Hornish ? from the Earl and you have a steady flow of top drivers seeing the tintops as a viable alternative.

But if you thinks about it, its only the first baby steps of this here 'spearamint. NOTHING has been proven, other than JPM can take a check, AJA wants to get paid, JV is warshed up, and PT is just out to have fun and wreck goobers (and collect a check). NeckCars is a differnt animule. What works in F1, eaRl or CCWS won;t necessarily transfer to tintops......at least imho. they already gots enuf juniors n dales to last a life time, and jeffy ain;t leavin for a long while. Fat Tony is just gettin started and them goofy BusCh bruthers are around for the long haul. they got alot to prove in both dribin and adaptin to the culture.

JPM's story will be one every OW fan should watch.

jonovision_man
09-05-06, 06:57 PM

I wonder what they $ee in it that we're mi$$ing...

jono

Indy
09-06-06, 02:50 AM
I disagree about the money part. I bet AJA is looking at the trucks because the ride is cheaper to buy than Busch. PT must have chosen the Busch buys, having more cash to blow.

I say they are betting on the come, hoping to attract backers to develop their careers there, with AJA also hoping to threaten GF a bit for a better contract (listening to PT, no doubt).

emjaya
09-06-06, 09:38 AM
My point is Nascar is being seen by OW drivers as a place where drivers who are thought of as "not quite good enough", or are past their used-by-date, can go and make a living.

Where in Openwheel can you do that. :confused:

I wonder what they $ee in it that we're mi$$ing...

I don't begrudge anyone making a living, besides maybe driving a cab is a lot more fun than it is to watch it.:eek: :gomer: :laugh:

But if you thinks about it, its only the first baby steps of this here 'spearamint. NOTHING has been proven, other than JPM can take a check, AJA wants to get paid, JV is warshed up, and PT is just out to have fun and wreck goobers (and collect a check). NeckCars is a differnt animule. What works in F1, eaRl or CCWS won;t necessarily transfer to tintops......at least imho. they already gots enuf juniors n dales to last a life time, and jeffy ain;t leavin for a long while. Fat Tony is just gettin started and them goofy BusCh bruthers are around for the long haul. they got alot to prove in both dribin and adaptin to the culture.

JPM's story will be one every OW fan should watch.

Shoot boy, it don't take more'n a big set a balls, no brains an a lead right foot to drive one a them there NASCARs.JV's got that lead foot, Montoya ain't got no brains an sur nuff Danica got big enough balls for all three ofv um.

What works in F1, eaRl or CCWS won;t necessarily transfer to tintops
Marcus Ambrose is not doing too badly, for his first year on ovals.Maybe it's the driver and how much he wants it.

Spicoli
09-06-06, 10:06 AM
^^^like I said, it will be very interesting to watch^^^^

I really see it going either way.

the bottom line is this: Yoda has their checkbook out. They know OW and who has what in terms of talent. they will go after that market because NASCAR has traditionally NOT looked over to OW (prolly cause they haven't had to). But yoda will cause a chain reaction of buying the championship, unlike the sport has ever seen. It's a new approach, somewhat, and who knows if it will pay off or not.

Dribers are whores.:irked: > the nature of the profession.

why didn't they call RHR? :confused:

racer2c
09-06-06, 10:12 AM
why didn't they call RHR? :confused:

Cuz he's goin' ta F1!:tony:

NismoZ
09-06-06, 11:12 AM
What a train wreck. Been goin' on for 12 years. Entering it's final phase.