PDA

View Full Version : OC NFL Eliminator Pool - Week 1 - Get Picks in by 8:30 PM ET, Thu 9/7

Insomniac
09-04-06, 04:10 PM
This is the Off Camber NFL Eliminator Pool thread for Week 1. (If the bosses want, this can also become the thread for discussing this weeks game since its purpose is completed by kickoff of the first game)

Rules:

Pick the winner of one game this week.
If you are right, you move on to the next week.
If you are wrong, you are eliminated.
You can only use a team once the entire season (e.g. You choose the Falcons for Week 1, that means you can not choose the Falcons again another week.)
The winner is the last man or woman standing.

How to enter:

Submit your entry by posting in this thread.
Your pick must be in before the start time for the first game of the week. (8:30 PM ET, Thu 9/7 for Week 1)
Any edits to your post after this time will result in disqualification.
If you make multiple picks in the same week, your last pick before the deadline will be used.

Insomniac
09-04-06, 04:11 PM
For your convenience, here are this weeks games:

Miami at Pittsburgh
Atlanta at Carolina
Baltimore at Tampa Bay
Buffalo at New England
Cincinnati at Kansas City
Denver at St. Louis
New Orleans at Cleveland
N.Y. Jets at Tennessee
Philadelphia at Houston
Seattle at Detroit
Chicago at Green Bay
Dallas at Jacksonville
San Francisco at Arizona
Indianapolis at N.Y. Giants
Minnesota at Washington
San Diego at Oakland

Ankf00
09-04-06, 05:14 PM
Philly

IlliniRacer
09-04-06, 05:27 PM
Carolina

WickerBill
09-04-06, 05:31 PM
New England

Dr. Corkski
09-04-06, 05:32 PM
Seattle.

Matt Hasselbeck sucks.

Insomniac
09-04-06, 06:53 PM
Seattle

Spicoli
09-04-06, 07:18 PM
Baltimore colts.

Willam
09-04-06, 07:36 PM
New England

nrc
09-04-06, 07:46 PM
Seattle

extramundane
09-04-06, 07:49 PM
Philadelphia.

indyfan31
09-04-06, 07:50 PM
San Francisco

racer2c
09-04-06, 08:21 PM
Denver.

greenie
09-04-06, 08:36 PM
Arizona.

:shakehead

Lizzerd
09-04-06, 08:48 PM
Seattle

Opposite Lock
09-04-06, 09:12 PM
Green Bay.

:saywhat:

Ronbo
09-04-06, 09:42 PM
Seattle.

Matt Hasselbeck sucks.

Hasselbeck sucks, but you still picked him for your first pick of the season.

Yep he really sucks!!!

And oh yea, my pick.....

Carolina

PS, I have been a Seahawk season ticket holder since 1979. You do the math!!!

I'll save my Hawk pick for a more important week!!!

Dr. Corkski
09-04-06, 09:44 PM
Hasselbeck sucks, but you still picked him for your first pick of the season.

Yep he really sucks!!!Actually it's more like I am picking Detroit to lose.

racermike
09-04-06, 09:45 PM
New England

devilmaster
09-04-06, 10:10 PM
I didn't realize that there were so many seahawk fans on this boar..... oh wait.

ummm........

Seattle.

Sean O'Gorman
09-04-06, 11:28 PM
Tampa Bay

FTG
09-05-06, 05:12 PM
Seattle and Philly are tempting, but I'm going to follow the "never agree with Cork or Ank" strategy and pick New England.

skaven
09-05-06, 05:22 PM
San Diego

Racing Truth
09-05-06, 05:35 PM
I agree with FTG (the OC member, not :tony: ). Buffalo is awful. JP Losman is an embarrassment to professional QB's.

Thus, I'll take New England.

Ankf00
09-05-06, 05:37 PM
JP Losman, yet another in a long line of worthless Tulane QBs that somehow conned their way into first round position :laugh:

Racing Truth
09-05-06, 05:43 PM
JP Losman, yet another in a long line of worthless Tulane QBs that somehow conned their way into first round position :laugh:

Indeed, but then again, when your other choices are Kelly Holcomb and Craig Nall, well...:rofl:

Stu
09-05-06, 06:43 PM
Miami

TKGAngel
09-05-06, 06:57 PM

He may not be the 2nd coming of Jim Kelly, but I think Marv Levy sat him down over the offseason and had a chat or two. He also gets points from me for actually buying a house in the City of Buffalo, rather than in the burbs.

My pick: Philly.

Ankf00
09-05-06, 07:02 PM
all the sit down chats in the world won't teach him how to stand tall in the pocket when under pressure and how to throw. he's the perfect example of measurables & arm strength taking priority over performance, accuracy & poise.

greenie
09-05-06, 07:26 PM

As a Greenie alumn, I take exception to these comments. :p

First, Shaun King was not a first round pick. So that long line is really just two (Ramsey and Losman).

Second, I would not give up on either Ramsey or Losman (King's no doubt a lost cause, although his record of highest QB efficiency rating for a single year in college I believe still stands - a pretty solid accomplishment all things considered).

Ramsey has only played behind pourous OLs. Losman hasn't had a fair shot yet IMO - this year will be a better indicator. I will say that in college, Losman was the least impressive of the three QBs IMO, but clearly has the upside with his raw skills.

Ankf00
09-05-06, 11:51 PM
3 cases of big fish, small pond. No offense...

greenie
09-06-06, 02:47 AM
3 cases of big fish, small pond. No offense...

None taken, it is a small pond.

However, Farve hatched from the small pond an hour and a half north as I recall.

Losman was also a UCLA transfer.

The proof will be in the pudding one way or another - it's premature to write them off IMO.

Ankf00
09-06-06, 10:37 AM
True, but Favre also lit it up in his small pond. The couple of times I got to see Losman in person the only thing he was lighting up was the turf :laugh: :D

And agreed on King, he was pretty impressive in his day. Ramsey I'm ambivalent about. Losman, imo, received the most hype regardless of performance, so him I dislike the most.

Gangrel
09-06-06, 11:08 AM
Bears.

I have disavowed myself of being a fan for years, but if they can't beat the Packers, they can't beat anyone. I'll get the close picks out of the way early in the season and save the ringers for later. :D

Dvdb
09-06-06, 11:50 AM
Arizona

Al Czervik
09-06-06, 03:13 PM
Philly

Insomniac
09-06-06, 03:20 PM

I'd blame the genius that is Tom Donahoe. :)

dando
09-06-06, 04:17 PM
Cardinals.

Not sure how often I'll be able to pick them this season. :)

-Kevin

Turn7
09-06-06, 05:32 PM
jets

Dr. Corkski
09-06-06, 05:48 PM
Cardinals.

Not sure how often I'll be able to pick them this season. :)

-KevinThat's OK, you are supposed to be jumping bangwagons every week for this. :p

Insomniac
09-07-06, 04:24 PM
Just a reminder, get your picks in (or change them soon).

Stu
09-08-06, 06:39 AM
Just a reminder, get your picks in (or change them soon).

well im out :rofl:

Insomniac
09-08-06, 07:34 AM
well im out :rofl:

Well, only 28 people entered. I'm thinking people who are out can keep picking and maybe by the end if no one makes it, the person with the least number of eliminations wins. Same rules would apply about not reusing your pick. Tie breaker would be who goes the longest without being eliminated. Thoughts?

WickerBill
09-08-06, 09:24 AM
I'd vote for the first tiebreaker being longest string of correct guesses, then second tiebreaker being total correct....

FTG
09-08-06, 10:07 AM
Just my opinion, but I'd wait. I bet everyone is elminated by Week 6 and we can all start over again.

Insomniac
09-08-06, 10:42 AM
I'd vote for the first tiebreaker being longest string of correct guesses, then second tiebreaker being total correct....

My thinking was that you'd normally be out at the first loss. So if two people ended up with one loss, and one person was first wrong in Week 8 and the other was first wrong in Week 3, the person who lost in Week 8 should win.

racer2c
09-08-06, 10:44 AM
My thinking was that you'd normally be out at the first loss. So if two people ended up with one loss, and one person was first wrong in Week 8 and the other was first wrong in Week 3, the person who lost in Week 8 should win.

But would they still be able to VTOL?:)

Gangrel
09-08-06, 11:10 AM
But would they still be able to VTOL?:)

Only if the conveyor doesn't also exert a magnetic force equal to the upward thrust from the engines. :rofl:

skaven
09-08-06, 03:03 PM
Well, only 28 people entered. I'm thinking people who are out can keep picking and maybe by the end if no one makes it, the person with the least number of eliminations wins. Same rules would apply about not reusing your pick. Tie breaker would be who goes the longest without being eliminated. Thoughts?

If you are out... you are out. Just my suggestion.

Sorry Stu. :gomer: :p

Stu
09-08-06, 06:54 PM

That was the impression I was under, but hey either way. :\

Lizzerd
09-08-06, 06:58 PM
Whatever the rules are, I'm still in.

And I still want the Seahawks.

FTG
09-09-06, 08:04 AM
Might be a good pick. The Lions got issues.

A burger joint drive-thru worker called police after Lions assistant coach Joe Cullen allegedly pulled his SUV up to the window and placed an order in the nude.

The worker, who took down Cullen's license plate number, told Dearborn officers after the late-night incident on Aug. 24 that "the suspect did nothing obscene, other than being naked at the drive-thru."

Cullen, a first-year defensive line coach, was arrested and charged with indecent and obscene conduct in the incident. On Sept. 1, a little more than a week later, he was arrested again and charged with drunken driving, also in Dearborn.

On Thursday, the Lions suspended Cullen for Sunday's season opener against the Seattle Seahawks, the Free Press has learned. Cullen, however, is expected to continue to coach the defensive line during practices.

Police reports obtained by the Free Press and an interview with a Wendy's shift manager shed light on the unusual events that have turned an obscure 38-year-old assistant football coach into the talk of the Detroit sports scene. But many questions remain unanswered, such as why Cullen was driving nude, does he have a drinking problem, will he face additional discipline by the team or the NFL, how is he receiving unspecified treatment while still doing a high-stress job, and did the team do a thorough background check.

Cullen has not told his side of the story. He declined comment after Wednesday's Lions practice, when the Free Press first broke the story, and was unavailable after Thursday's.

The Wendy's manager, Jethro Lett, said he was working the second drive-thru window on Michigan Avenue near Telegraph when he heard startling news from the first window, where customers pay for their food.

"The cashier alerted me," said Lett, 48. " 'A guy coming to your window is naked!' "

Lett, whose job was to deliver food to drivers from the second window, said, "I was trying to be professional." But the man in the blue SUV was clearly in the raw as he pulled up.

Because it was late -- court records said the incident happened at about 11:15 p.m. -- Lett asked the man to pull over to wait for his food to cook. He recalled the order as a single combo: burger, fries and a drink.

Five minutes later, Lett brought the order out to the parked SUV. "He didn't say a word," Lett said. "I said, 'Here you go with your food, sir.' "

Cullen, who was fired from the University of Mississippi in March 2005 after being arrested for public drunkenness in a restaurant, has sought help and is getting "treatment," Lions officials said. He apologized in a statement Wednesday.

The Lions, at the same time, issued a statement calling both of Cullen's arrests alcohol related. Court records said his blood-alcohol content in the second arrest was 0.12, above the Michigan legal limit of 0.08.

But the police reports did not mention anything about alcohol or Cullen being drunk when he was arrested while nude.

Lett is a veteran Wendy's employee who lives in Detroit and normally works in the city. He said he was frustrated with the response of Dearborn police, whom he didn't think were taking his complaint seriously.

"All they kept saying is, 'Did he say anything, do anything?' " Lett recalled. "I said, 'He don't have to say anything, he's butt naked!' "

Police radioed a description of a blue SUV and its license plate number. Other officers soon reported seeing a blue Ford Explorer on Michigan Avenue with a shirtless driver, and pulled it over.

An officer asked for identification and Cullen, the only person in the vehicle, produced it, a police report said. "Cullen was then directed to put on the clothing that was in the vehicle with him and he did so," the report said.

He was arrested and taken to the police station, where a computer check did not find any outstanding warrants for his arrest. Police issued him a ticket for indecent and obscene conduct; by 12:10 a.m., Cullen had paid a $100 bond and was released. His Explorer was impounded and someone retrieved it at 7:30 a.m.

The 10-page report on that arrest does not mention why Cullen was nude. But Lett said he thought the man he saw had been drinking, because his head was nodding.

Lett said the whole experience was a bit traumatic, especially since he had only recently begun working outside Detroit.

"They brought me all the way out to Dearborn, and this is where the freak show's at," he said. "You live long enough, you see enough."

Insomniac
09-09-06, 10:24 AM

I wasn't going to change the rules, just asking your opinion. I was trying to keep people interested even if they get knocked out. If people don't keep picking, then there wouldn't be any way to get them back in later unless it started over. I was just trying to look ahead a few weeks when a lot of people are out. A bad day for NE (probably most doubtful, but with the LBs a mess and the secondary not so good...), SEA (can Kitna get it done, will SEA be hurt by all the missing WRs?) and PHI (HOU has upset opening weekend the last 2 years) means half of us are done.

Sean O'Gorman
09-09-06, 12:03 PM

HA! Out on the first game of the season. That has to be a record.

Stu
09-09-06, 01:07 PM
HA! Out on the first game of the season. That has to be a record.

Why? Because the team I picked happened to lose on a Thursday rather than on opening Sunday?

Its all week 1. :shakehead

devilmaster
09-10-06, 03:49 PM
Why? Because the team I picked happened to lose on a Thursday rather than on opening Sunday?

Its all week 1. :shakehead

[edit]Whew!

dando
09-10-06, 04:16 PM

Are you still breathing? ;)

-Kevin

devilmaster
09-10-06, 04:22 PM
Are you still breathing? ;)

-Kevin

If the Lions had won, I would have guessed the eliminator pool would have a winner by week 3, and then we could start all over again.

nrc
09-10-06, 04:59 PM
Maybe it was a good thing to get the Seahawks off my list of options early. :saywhat:

WickerBill
09-10-06, 05:54 PM
...and the Patsies, who almost killed this game for me early.

Sean O'Gorman
09-10-06, 07:10 PM
Well don't I just look like a dolt. :o

dando
09-10-06, 07:58 PM

:gomer:

Thx for playing. :laugh:

:p

-Kevin

Spicoli
09-10-06, 08:39 PM

:thumbup:

WickerBill
09-10-06, 09:06 PM

You mean because of this game?

Spicoli
09-10-06, 11:22 PM
Colts win! I win!:D

Gangrel
09-10-06, 11:43 PM
Woo-hoo!

Bears become first team to shut out Packers in the Brett Favre era!

Ok....now back to the suckfest that will be the rest of the Bears season...who's playing who next week?

nrc
09-11-06, 12:04 AM
Next week's matchups:
http://sports.myway.com/nfl/scoreboards/2.html

greenie
09-11-06, 12:13 AM
Colts win! I win!:D

There are some funny picks in this little sheet show.

You blowing your Colts wad on a road game in NY and proudly claiming victory is one. :gomer:

Whoever took San Fran against the AZ Cards when they were 7 plus point underdogs is another.

Stu picking Miami in a tossup game on the road against the defending Superbowl champions is another - WTF?

Does anyone understand the ****ing game?

I wish there was dough on the line. :rofl:

Lizzerd
09-11-06, 12:50 AM

You blowing your Colts wad on a road game in NY and proudly claiming victory is one. :gomer:

No kidding. I'm still sweating bullets after that one. I am a Homer too, though (as in home town fan), but not a Gomer (I hope).

P.S. I picked Seattle. Didn't see the score until I got off the highway after driving for two hours. Darn near pinched off my game right then after I looked at the play by play on nfl.com.

Stu
09-11-06, 09:35 AM
Stu picking Miami in a tossup game on the road against the defending Superbowl champions is another - WTF?

I had my reasons.

1. Charlie Batch.
2. At the time of my pick, Hines Ward was unlikely to play.
3. Miami was supposed to be good.
4. I didn't want to go with a really good team to start the season like the Bengals, Colts, Cards, Jags, etc in the first week. I wanted to save them for later on if I got there. I mean, when you get to week 17, you only have 16 teams left to choose from.

Insomniac
09-11-06, 10:16 AM
...and the Patsies, who almost killed this game for me early.

I was watching that game. 12 seconds in and my mouth was wide open. Pats sucked in the first half and fixed just enough to win it. The few positives were the running game and the Kicker got to kick a semi-pressure kick (had to tie it up). The saftey saved him from having to kick a game winner, which would've been a real good opportunity in week 1 to really put #4 behind them.

racer2c
09-11-06, 10:39 AM

Whoever took San Fran against the AZ Cards when they were 7 plus point underdogs is another.

I'd gladly take your money? Whats the pick?

TKGAngel
09-11-06, 10:57 AM
I was watching that game. 12 seconds in and my mouth was wide open. Pats sucked in the first half and fixed just enough to win it. The few positives were the running game and the Kicker got to kick a semi-pressure kick (had to tie it up). The saftey saved him from having to kick a game winner, which would've been a real good opportunity in week 1 to really put #4 behind them.

I had the start of the game on the radio, and I thought that John Murphy (Bills radio announcer) was going to have a heart-attack when Fletcher took the ball in. The team showed some brilliant moments, but I really think going for it on 4th down instead of for the field goal when up by 10 was the turning point.

greenie
09-11-06, 11:09 AM
I had my reasons.

1. Charlie Batch.
2. At the time of my pick, Hines Ward was unlikely to play.
3. Miami was supposed to be good.
4. I didn't want to go with a really good team to start the season like the Bengals, Colts, Cards, Jags, etc in the first week. I wanted to save them for later on if I got there. I mean, when you get to week 17, you only have 16 teams left to choose from.

Those are legit reasons, but this game will likely be over with in only a few weeks - at least that's what typically happens.

greenie
09-11-06, 11:10 AM
I'd gladly take your money? Whats the pick?

I'm not sure what that means. However, after mouthing off I'll probably be out next week. :)

Insomniac
09-11-06, 12:37 PM
I had the start of the game on the radio, and I thought that John Murphy (Bills radio announcer) was going to have a heart-attack when Fletcher took the ball in. The team showed some brilliant moments, but I really think going for it on 4th down instead of for the field goal when up by 10 was the turning point.

Yeah, it's a tough call. It was 4th and 1 near the Pats goal line. You get that first down and a TD, you've pretty much finished them off being up by 17. The Pats had a similiar situation at the end. In FG range, 4th and 2. They kick it and the Bills need a TD in under 2 minutes with no time outs. They get the first down, game over. They went for the first down and ran out the clock.

Then take Indy (and I've long said Dungy has no guts) who were in nearly the exact same situation. FG range (closer than NE) under 2 minutes, 4th and 2. NYG have no timeouts and they kick the FG. The NYG did a terrible hurry up job to end the game, but the way Eli had moved the ball during the game, it wasn't out of the realm of possibility they could get a TD and win it.

Sean O'Gorman
09-11-06, 05:55 PM
I had my reasons.

1. Charlie Frye rules!
2. I'm from Cleveland so I hate Pittsburgh

:gomer: :gomer: :gomer: :gomer:

Stu
09-12-06, 10:51 AM
Would be funnier if Charlie Frye had anything to do with the game, or if I even thought he was good, and also if I thought Pittsburgh sucked. :thumdown:

Ankf00
09-12-06, 10:59 AM
Can I just pick against Houston this entire season? That's within the rules, right? :)

Stu
09-12-06, 11:20 AM
Can I just pick against Houston this entire season? That's within the rules, right? :)

I was gonna do that for the Clowns, problem is they play the Stoolers, Ratbirds, and Bungles 2x each. ;)

Spicoli
09-12-06, 11:32 AM
Are you gonna do the standings and stuff? :gomer:

Al Czervik
09-12-06, 11:35 AM
This was going to be my strategy, too. However, each team plays their division teams twice.

FTG
09-12-06, 11:39 AM
Looks like a good strategy this week. I pick the Colts.

skaven
09-12-06, 01:37 PM
I mean, when you get to week 17, you only have 16 teams left to choose from.

Like greenie said, this will be over very, very soon.

skaven
09-12-06, 01:39 PM
Sleepy Guy, Can you start a new "week 2" thread along with the summary of who's picked who?

Thanks. :)

Insomniac
09-12-06, 03:52 PM
Are you gonna do the standings and stuff? :gomer:

Yeah, I'll start a new thread for week 2 soon. I think I'm going to tell/let everyone knocked out keep picking. If we decide to start over, that's fine, if not then at least they're still "in".

Lizzerd
09-12-06, 04:49 PM
Yeah, I'll start a new thread for week 2 soon. I think I'm going to tell/let everyone knocked out keep picking. If we decide to start over, that's fine, if not then at least they're still "in".

How about just forgetting about the "knock out" rule, but keep the "pick a team once" rule? Everybody gets to stay in, but the original spirit of the game would be maintained.

Insomniac
09-12-06, 07:15 PM
How about just forgetting about the "knock out" rule, but keep the "pick a team once" rule? Everybody gets to stay in, but the original spirit of the game would be maintained.

Yeah, that's what I said earlier. Then at the end, the person eliminated the least would win. But I think it's a good point that if we're all done in 5 weeks, might as well start over. That's why I say just keep picking, we can sort it out later, but we can't get picks for weeks once they pass.