PDA

View Full Version : Driver Necklace

TedN
09-01-06, 01:00 PM
What a great idea!

Snippets from Autosport story ...

The FIA is to be asked to look into a new microchip necklace that will give doctors instant access to the medical records of drivers after crashes, autosport.com can reveal.

The Grand Prix Drivers' Association (GPDA) were presented with the concept, which has a data storage system fitted inside a necklace, at last weekend's Turkish Grand Prix. The drivers were interested enough for them to plan to write to the FIA to consider their use in Formula One.

The Motivegeeks necklace is fitted with a military-specification shockproof microchip that contains all the medical records of a driver - including crucial X-ray files.

In the event of a crash, doctors can slot this chip into a computer and access the information themselves, or forward it onto the hospital that will receive the driver.

The Motivegeeks necklaces cost just £70 each and interest has also been expressed in the systems outside of Formula One.

Ted

:thumbup:

Gangrel
09-01-06, 01:47 PM
What a great idea!

Snippets from Autosport story ...

Ted

:thumbup:

Great idea! Key question, though...how many hospitals have the correct equipment to be able to access the data on the chip? How many are willing to invest in that equipment?

chop456
09-01-06, 02:25 PM
O.k, I'm not a doctor.

What would "crucial" x-rays show if they're taken before you're all busted up?

And doesn't Dr. Sid already have all this stuff at the track for every race? What's the difference?

cameraman
09-01-06, 02:49 PM
For drivers with medical histories along the lines of Bruno Junqueira, they will show quite a lot.

oddlycalm
09-01-06, 03:11 PM
What would "crucial" x-rays show if they're taken before you're all busted up? X-rays are most helpful when a before/after comparison can be made.

oc

coolhand
09-01-06, 03:39 PM
There is only 20 drivers, why does F1 not just carry a folder of all their records to each race?

Ozarkian
09-01-06, 03:47 PM
For drivers with medical histories along the lines of Bruno Junqueira, they will show quite a lot.

Unfortunately, for him you might need two chip's worth of data storage.

Ozarkian
09-01-06, 03:48 PM
double post

Gangrel
09-01-06, 03:50 PM
Are they going to wear the folder around their neck so that if they have to be evacuated in an emergency, the folder goes with them and the doc has the info immediately? Sometimes minutes count...

Still want to know how many hospitals have access to the equipment to read these chips.

If they are USB portable stoarge devices, then it is probably pretty readily usable. If it is some kind of proprietary chip, well....

chop456
09-01-06, 04:00 PM
Are they going to wear the folder around their neck so that if they have to be evacuated in an emergency, the folder goes with them and the doc has the info immediately? Sometimes minutes count...

Isn't that how Champ Car does it? (Besides the around the neck part).

I wonder if their files show a history of traction control usage(?)

[/grassyknoll]

chop456
09-01-06, 04:02 PM
X-rays are most helpful when a before/after comparison can be made.

oc

I guess my point was, how many people have "before" x-rays taken? Is that something that would be SOP for a series like F1?

Gangrel
09-01-06, 04:12 PM
I guess my point was, how many people have "before" x-rays taken? Is that something that would be SOP for a series like F1?

It would be kind of key if the bone broken or joint dislocated was broken or dislocated previously. Comparison can be made between how it looked after it healed the first time and how it looks after reinjury.

Trust me. This is coming from a guy with a plate and 6 screws in his arm. ;)

Gangrel
09-01-06, 04:14 PM
Isn't that how Champ Car does it? (Besides the around the neck part).

I wonder if their files show a history of traction control usage(?)

[/grassyknoll]

Probably is. Point is, if the info is in a chip on a necklace around the driver's neck, that is one less step in the process to getting him off to medical attention. Even the minutes they might have to wait for that file to get to the chopper could make an important difference when live-saving measures need to be taken.

Ed_Severson
09-01-06, 04:15 PM

I think the answer to the first question is probably not very many people. However, if a driver is gonna wear this thing around his neck, there might as well be some information on it, no? So my guess is that it becomes standard procedure for any driver who chooses to wear this device to go have his "before" x-rays taken and stored on the chip, so as to not have wasted his 70 pound investment. :)

meadors
09-01-06, 09:08 PM
It would be kind of key if the bone broken or joint dislocated was broken or dislocated previously. Comparison can be made between how it looked after it healed the first time and how it looks after reinjury.

And you would not want to be put inside a MRI scanner with that metal in you either, a good thing for medical professional to know.

pchall
09-01-06, 09:12 PM

"Before" x-rays of the legs would be very useful in treating injuries. For instance, if the driver suffers a shattered thigh it would allow the orothpaedic surgeons to know exactly how long the leg was before the injury and put in the correct length titanium rod.

JT265
09-02-06, 10:16 AM
X-rays are most helpful when a before/after comparison can be made.

oc

Indeed. "Okay Doc, this piece looks like it's gotta go here"

gjc2
09-04-06, 03:03 PM
Remember when drivers had there blood type embroidered on there uniforms? Does anyone still do that?

As far as the FIA thing is concerned, anyone can buy one of the little USB storage things and put their entire medical history on it, with tons of space to spare.

George