PDA

View Full Version : Miller says Mr. Judd (aka The Unibrow)...

pchall
08-31-06, 09:16 PM
... will drive for RuSport for the remainder of the season.

link (http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/32073/)

Cam
08-31-06, 09:17 PM
... will drive for RuSport for the remainder of the season.

link (http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/32073/)

w00t! :)

racer2c
08-31-06, 09:32 PM
Where do you think Ashley like being seen, Surfers Paradise or Kansas?

$100 bucks sez he's in a CC next year. Ashley has a reputation to uphold.

Cam
08-31-06, 09:35 PM
Where do you think Ashley like being seen, Surfers Paradise or Kansas?

$100 bucks sez he's in a CC next year. Ashley has a reputation to uphold.

Niether of them wanted to be in earl to start with! Yeah they sucked on the Honda teat but I believe it was reluctantly!

Dario never badmouthed CART unlike his current employer...

rabbit
08-31-06, 10:33 PM
Niether of them wanted to be in earl to start with! Yeah they sucked on the Honda teat but I believe it was reluctantly!

:thumbup: I'm glad to have him back! I think a lot of those guys were sold a bill of goods.

Ed_Severson
08-31-06, 10:38 PM
Some of those guys may have been sold a bill of goods, but you've still got to be dumb enough to buy it.

I liked Dario before he retired a few years back, so I can't say that it bothers me too much to have him back in the paddock if this rumor is true, but I don't have a whole lot of respect for a guy who says "my heart is in Champ Car" and then signs a contract to run in a competing series a month later.

Money is not the only reason to do something. If his heart was really in Champ Car with the financial security Dario and his wife enjoy, he'd have found a way to stick around. His heart was in his wallet. :thumdown:

Put him in a real car and we'll see whether or not he found it.

RusH
08-31-06, 10:41 PM
:thumbup: I'm glad to have him back! I think a lot of those guys were sold a bill of goods.

Some were.
The ones that had crap to say as they were leaving bug me.
That pic of Fernandeth holding up a wad of cash comes to mind. :shakehead

skaven
08-31-06, 11:11 PM
Nice. :cool:

Here's hoping he doesn't break his back in his last crapwagon race.

Spicoli
08-31-06, 11:31 PM
Nice. :cool:

Here's hoping he doesn't break his back in his last crapwagon race.

wgaf? :gomer:

scottland?

http://www.freewebby.com/happy-smilies/rotflmao.gif

:waaaaah:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/images/autoracing/tagliani_tracy_fight_hor.jpg

devilmaster
08-31-06, 11:58 PM
but I don't have a whole lot of respect for a guy who says "my heart is in Champ Car" and then signs a contract to run in a competing series a month later.

Money is not the only reason to do something. If his heart was really in Champ Car with the financial security Dario and his wife enjoy, he'd have found a way to stick around. His heart was in his wallet. :thumdown:

Bingo. The truth of the matter is, that between Dario's skill and ashley's money making skills, they could have easily have secured a ride. Hell, they could have started their own team. I'm sure there is some Kentucky alum who has big bucks and would be willing to make an arrangement.

rabbit
09-01-06, 12:04 AM
Bingo. The truth of the matter is, that between Dario's skill and ashley's money making skills, they could have easily have secured a ride. Hell, they could have started their own team. I'm sure there is some Kentucky alum who has big bucks and would be willing to make an arrangement.
Mario Andretti tried to get sponsor money to start a team for 2003. If he couldn't find the money, I seriously doubt Franchitti and Judd would have had much more luck. That said, there is a big difference between the folks who looked for money and couldn't find it, and those who actively engaged in efforts to undermine the series, i.e. Andretti the Lesser, Peniske, Ganasti, Adriyen, etc. :thumdown:

Spicoli
09-01-06, 12:25 AM
Mario Andretti tried to get sponsor money to start a team for 2003. If he couldn't find the money, I seriously doubt Franchitti and Judd would have had much more luck. That said, there is a big difference between the folks who looked for money and couldn't find it, and those who actively engaged in efforts to undermine the series, i.e. Andretti the Lesser, Peniske, Ganasti, Adriyen, etc. :thumdown:

i am not sure anyone has made it clearer than that. :thumbup:

dood, :novel:

cameraman
09-01-06, 12:29 AM
Money is not the only reason to do something. If his heart was really in Champ Car with the financial security Dario and his wife enjoy, he'd have found a way to stick around. His heart was in his wallet. :thumdown: What was he getting paid in the IRL? Three milllion a year or was it six? Nobody was going to walk away from that kind of money especially when they knew full well that nobody in Champ Car was going to offer even a tenth that. I'm no Dashley fan but he would have been an idiot to turn down that job. Crapwagon or not.

devilmaster
09-01-06, 12:31 AM
Mario Andretti tried to get sponsor money to start a team for 2003. If he couldn't find the money, I seriously doubt Franchitti and Judd would have had much more luck.

From IMDB:

Ashley Judd Salary:
Someone Like You... (2001) $4,000,000
Eye of the Beholder (1999) $1,000,000

I'm not saying she has forsythe or russo type money in the bank, but I believe she makes enough to build a team with some other investors....

Spicoli
09-01-06, 12:42 AM
From IMDB:

Ashley Judd Salary:

I'm not saying she has forsythe or russo type money in the bank, but I believe she makes enough to build a team with some other investors....

they must be dumb.

i'm peddy sure they are,

cameraman
09-01-06, 12:46 AM
From IMDB:

Ashley Judd Salary:

Then pay the IRS, her agent, and for her lifestyle. She'd be hard pressed to fund a Coyne ride.

devilmaster
09-01-06, 02:13 AM
K guys, lets not get hung up arguing about money, because that is not what the point is about.

The point is, unlike many drivers who don't have a big bankroll, Dario does - I agree with Ed. Dario had a chance to stand up and say that he wanted to stay in CC because its 'where his heart is'.

He then went tooling around ovals for a few years for the money. I hope Dario comes back and keeps his mouth shut. I do not want to hear about how much better CC is over the IRL, about how his heart never left or anything like that. He went for the money and got it. Happy for him. But don't BS everyone with some line when you come back.

racer2c
09-01-06, 06:38 AM
Let's keep in mind that, from a drivers perspective, many were unsure if there was even going to be a Champ Car series in the near future. Many comments were made along those lines. Covering their ulterior motives? Possibly, but then again it was dark times for Champ Car. Regardless, it's obvious that the perceptions are changing from those outside of CC. I'm sure Dario's comments about CC are glowing after these last three events. I'm also sure that any road racer worth a dime is dieing to get his paws on the DP01 and the paddle shifters.

Ed_Severson
09-01-06, 07:37 AM
I will absolutely admit that Dario got paid more (probably far more) than anyone in Champ Car could have managed. And if the money was that important to him, fine. All he had to do was be honest about it and say "I'm going to take the best financial offer" rather than "my heart is in Champ Car."

I'll also agree that he has done little, if anything, to try to undermine the series, and because of that, I have far fewer hard feelings towards him than some of the others who have left. But, it still disappoints me that he made a point of trying to appear to have some principle with his words, and then completely abandoning that principle with his actions.

Insomniac
09-01-06, 07:58 AM
K guys, lets not get hung up arguing about money, because that is not what the point is about.

The point is, unlike many drivers who don't have a big bankroll, Dario does - I agree with Ed. Dario had a chance to stand up and say that he wanted to stay in CC because its 'where his heart is'.

He then went tooling around ovals for a few years for the money. I hope Dario comes back and keeps his mouth shut. I do not want to hear about how much better CC is over the IRL, about how his heart never left or anything like that. He went for the money and got it. Happy for him. But don't BS everyone with some line when you come back.

Would you pay to stay at your current job as much as you like it? Or would you move on to somewhere else where you were wanted? The money in CC was pretty much all gone except for a couple rides which were all taken (except one at N-H). The only guy getting paid (I mean really paid $millions) in CC is PT.

You heart and desire can be in CC, but at the same time you can race elsewhere. I don't recall one bad word about CC from Dario, ever. Just because he wouldn't accept being paid peanuts compared to before or wouldn't use his own or wives' personal earnings to start a team to stay in CC is ridiculous.

What would people think of Greg Moore if he had lived and went to the IRL too?

Insomniac
09-01-06, 08:03 AM
And if the money was that important to him, fine. All he had to do was be honest about it and say "I'm going to take the best financial offer" rather than "my heart is in Champ Car."

It can't be both ways? He has to accept a giant pay cut to stay where he'd prefer to stay?

rabbit
09-01-06, 08:08 AM
Let's keep in mind that, from a drivers perspective, many were unsure if there was even going to be a Champ Car series in the near future.
Bingo. Many of us thought there would not be a series the next year. We hoped, but we weren't overly optimistic. And our incomes didn't depend on whether or not there was a series. That's what I mean when I said guys were sold a bill of goods.

Ed_Severson
09-01-06, 08:14 AM
It can't be both ways? He has to accept a giant pay cut to stay where he'd prefer to stay?

Had he really preferred to stay here, he would have considered it.

There are people all over the world that choose lower-paying jobs because they enjoy their work and don't want to compromise that, and these people -- literally -- don't have even 1% of the financial mobility that Dario and Ashley have.

Had it been a mechanic who uttered those words and then chose a job in the IRL, it would be understandable. But a multi-millionaire who is married to another multi-millionaire can't fall back on the "I have to feed my family" line. Dario absolutely could have afforded to make the choice to stay in Champ Car if he was so inclined, and he publicly stated that he was. Instead, though, he chased the money.

Dishonest and hypocritical, if you ask me.

G.
09-01-06, 09:37 AM

There are people all over the world that choose lower-paying jobs because they enjoy their work and don't want to compromise that, and these people -- literally -- don't have even 1% of the financial mobility that Dario and Ashley have.

Had it been a mechanic who uttered those words and then chose a job in the IRL, it would be understandable. But a multi-millionaire who is married to another multi-millionaire can't fall back on the "I have to feed my family" line. Dario absolutely could have afforded to make the choice to stay in Champ Car if he was so inclined, and he publicly stated that he was. Instead, though, he chased the money.

He was hitting the pitlane in Oz trying to get a ride before the first season in the earl. He was looking HARD.

My impression, which is WAY based on speculation and reading between the lines, was that no one COULD take him, even at a reduced salary. Either deals were in place, or the driver needed to bring money.

For what it's worth.

It was earl, or gokarts.

jonovision_man
09-01-06, 10:01 AM
Awesome! :thumbup:

Dario is excellent, glad to see him back on road courses full-time. And in a competitive ride, too.

jono

Spicoli
09-01-06, 10:05 AM
He was hitting the pitlane in Oz trying to get a ride before the first season in the earl. He was looking HARD.

My impression, which is WAY based on speculation and reading between the lines, was that no one COULD take him, even at a reduced salary. Either deals were in place, or the driver needed to bring money.

For what it's worth.

It was earl, or gokarts.

Dashley has been honda's *Poster Boy* for a LONG time. He went with the company. 5mill? I'd prolly go too. Why you think Ms. Judd married him anyway? :laugh:

mueber
09-01-06, 10:13 AM
I've long ago ceased to expect loyalty from participants in auto racing, and I've long ago ceased to provide it.

If Mr. and Mrs. Judd provide some traction to the series, great, and thank you.

If Mr. Judd drives well and provides some interesting on-track performances, great, and thank you.

If the whole thing is a mistake, pull 'em and bring on someone who can do the job.

'Cause, ya know, it's all about me.

KobySon
09-01-06, 11:43 AM
Dashley has been honda's *Poster Boy* for a LONG time. He went with the company. 5mill? I'd prolly go too. Why you think Ms. Judd married him anyway? :laugh:

Yes, he and rudder new where they were going by mid-ohio of that year.

G.
09-01-06, 12:46 PM
Dashley has been honda's *Poster Boy* for a LONG time. He went with the company. 5mill? I'd prolly go too. True. Very true.

And yet, even with the cush job as the Honda test driver (not the F1 version of TD), he still tried to stay in CC. Didn't happen. Wa$ it money, or just no space?? Dunno. Can't fault him if it wa$ the money, too much, IMO.

Never said a bad word about CC, to my knowledge.

racer2c
09-01-06, 12:47 PM
True. Very true.

And yet, even with the cush job as the Honda test driver (not the F1 version of TD), he still tried to stay in CC. Didn't happen. Wa$ it money, or just no space?? Dunno. Can't fault him if it wa$ the money, too much, IMO.

Never said a bad word about CC, to my knowledge.

Ashley won't let him say bad words.

tifosi77
09-01-06, 01:41 PM
I'd be happy to have him back.

It is not a driver's responsibility to start up their own teams, and I have no hard feelings for 99% of the drivers who were once in the CART/Champ Car sphere. They have careers to look after, and Dario was at the height of his earning potential in 2002.

There are a few drivers who earn disdain - for example Danica Patrick, on general principle, but also for her "CART, or whatever the other series calls itself now" oral flatulence. But a guy just trying to earn a living in racing? You go where the money is. Why do you think all these open wheel guys are talking about NASCAR all of a sudden? Drivers who have never so much as seen a stock car are now openly discussing cabbing as a viable career move. Them's just the breaks.

Also, don't forget that what we observe on the political and economic front is usually at least several months (possibly a year or more) behind what those on the inside are seeing and aware of. The end of 2002 was not a good time for CART... two of the three manufacturers were bolting, top tier teams and their drivers were bolting, gobs of money were being spent keeping the series afloat..... basically, the endgame was playing out and a lot of drivers might have been left without seats when the music stopped.

What I don't think they anticipated was the strength of character of the rebuilders. Or even that there would be a rebuilding. Call it rats jumping off a sinking ship if you like, but by and large I think it's drivers just keeping an eye on their careers.

Spicoli
09-01-06, 01:50 PM
About the only former driber i would want back would be Gil. Anybody think Dashley's got the gearing to make it into coach/owner/manager status as his next career? Never met the guy, but he did bag Ashely-Skank, so he's doing *something* right. maybe?

tifosi77
09-01-06, 02:12 PM
About the only former driber i would want back would be Gil. Anybody think Dashley's got the gearing to make it into coach/owner/manager status as his next career? Never met the guy, but he did bag Ashely-Skank, so he's doing *something* right. maybe?
Never met him, but Ashley liked my tattoo. :)

oddlycalm
09-01-06, 02:43 PM
Fine with me. There are some drivers I'd not care to see in the series, but this guy isn't one of them. Worst case he gives us someone to hate on. Best case he does a good job for Russo.

This also explains the recent frustration from Mario D. The steam we heard venting likely resulted from learning he was staying Coyne and another driver would be at Russo. He's probably wise to look for something else at this point.

oc

Insomniac
09-01-06, 03:08 PM

How do you know he didn't consider offers from ChampCar teams? The only way that makes sense is if he wasn't offered any. In that case, he had nowhere else to know.

Just because a guy makes $millions, he has to take a pay cut because he can afford it? He worked hard and honed his skills to be paid like that, why should he settle for less because he can (in your opinion)?

He found the AGR offer superior to any other offer. I don't know the exact reason. I'm sure money/security played a lrage role, but that doesn't preclude him from saying he'd rather be in Champ Car. He didn't blame anyone for being in the IRL. From what he has said, all things being equal, he'd rather be in Champ Car. Problem is, I doubt all things were equal.

I fail to see the dishonesty or hypocricy.

Ed_Severson
09-01-06, 04:04 PM
Just because a guy makes $millions, he has to take a pay cut because he can afford it?

No, if a guy makes millions, he should take a pay cut if he actually cares about where he works, as Dario claimed he did.

As I said before, I don't care that he went after the money. I care that he postured about, pretending not to care about the money, and then went for it anyway.

FanofMario
09-01-06, 04:26 PM
No, if a guy makes millions, he should take a pay cut if he actually cares about where he works, as Dario claimed he did.

As I said before, I don't care that he went after the money. I care that he postured about, pretending not to care about the money, and then went for it anyway.

Bingo! :thumbup:

skaven
09-01-06, 05:10 PM

:shakehead

As others have pointed out, in finishing the 2002 season/ starting the 2003 season, it didn't even look like there would be much of a CART/ CCWS. Blame Penske, Ganassi, Rahal, etc. for the defections.

Most of the drivers went to what, at the time, appeared to be a stable and secure series. Since then KK and Forsythe have rejuvinated our series. Now drivers, mechanics, engineers and such can return with confidence that the series won't be folding during the off season.

Now I'm speculating, but he was probably fed a line of bull**** that there wouldn't even be a CART/ CCWS in a year or two. I bet it wasn't all about money, it was about stability, career, etc.

Regardless, you've made up your mind.

As years you get, realize the down and dirty decisions we all must make you will. :gomer:

Hameroids
09-01-06, 05:56 PM

Nobody wanted the Earl, except TG and his cheerleading grubs; Nitro Foyt and the other associated cling-ons who stood to make a buck, and the miscellaneous May-only Hemelgarnian F-wadds who just couldn't cut it running head to head with those evil CART guys.

A giant incestuous clusterfk of speed,..... but I digress.

Spicoli
09-01-06, 07:42 PM
Nobody wanted the Earl, except TG and his cheerleading grubs; Nitro Foyt and the other associated cling-ons who stood to make a buck, and the miscellaneous May-only Hemelgarnian F-wadds who just couldn't cut it running head to head with those evil CART guys.

A giant incestuous clusterfk of speed,..... but I digress.

:rofl:

Insomniac
09-01-06, 07:43 PM

What did Dario say that made anyone think he didn't go for the money?

We will have to disagree on this. I can never fault someone for taking care of their family, especially in racing when the next race could be your last.

Ed_Severson
09-01-06, 11:16 PM
I can never fault someone for taking care of their family

Me neither, but I don't think Dario and Ashley would have starved had he stuck with Champ Car and ended up rideless. :p

especially in racing when the next race could be your last.

If he was really worried about that, there are a few hundred series out there safer than the one he ended up in, no?

Insomniac
09-02-06, 08:35 AM
Me neither, but I don't think Dario and Ashley would have starved had he stuck with Champ Car and ended up rideless. :p

I'm not saying he needed the money or his family would starve. But you can say this about anyone or any family that is able to save money, right?

If he was really worried about that, there are a few hundred series out there safer than the one he ended up in, no?

I wasn't saying he chose the IRL for safety, I'm saying he had offers in front of him, and the AGR one was the best. In racing, your career could be over any race weekend. Given that, it would make the most sense to me to take the money now then wait until later. $5M/yr would go a lot further than $1M/yr if you end up paralyzed or have a head injury. You just don't know what will happen in the future.

gjc2
09-02-06, 12:08 PM
When Dario was weighing his options and chose to drive Crap Wagons he was being told that CART/Champ Car was not going to be around much longer, and it almost wasn't.

nrc
09-02-06, 01:13 PM
I can't fault someone for making a living. Someone's gotta pay for Ashley's rehab. But I see people making a living every day. It's not something I'm interested in watching on TV or chatting on a forum about.

FanofMario
09-02-06, 03:40 PM
When Dario was weighing his options and chose to drive Crap Wagons he was being told that CART/Champ Car was not going to be around much longer, and it almost wasn't.

Almost.....but here we are, a growing series with real fans and a new car. Dario was all about the Yen contract. He might never had badmouthed the old CART but his actions speak volumes. I get a kick out of how many here forget about those who remained with the program despite the ....almost. :shakehead

If Dario comes over fine. I am not going to make him public enemy #1, but I sure am not going to greet him as our poor lost son either!

theunions
09-02-06, 03:59 PM
He might never had badmouthed the old CART

I recall him badmouthing the old CART quite a bit while still in it (during post-qualifying press conferences in Mexico City '02).

Insomniac
09-03-06, 12:51 PM
Almost.....but here we are, a growing series with real fans and a new car. Dario was all about the Yen contract. He might never had badmouthed the old CART but his actions speak volumes. I get a kick out of how many here forget about those who remained with the program despite the ....almost. :shakehead

I can only think of two top drivers. PT and Vasser. The rest were some teams staying like Coyne, FCR, N-H, Derrick Walker and Herdez (now HVM). How many of those teams were going to be Honda or Toyota factory teams. How many were going to get the large amounts of Yen? How about the remaining drivers? Not many stuck by CART/Champ Car when they could've also followed the money. Probably just PT, Vasser, FCR and N-H.

I also don't think fior a second anyone around here forgot about who stuck by the series and who didn't. Some here also make a distinction between those who tried to sabotage the series, who badmouthed the series and who left quietly. For me, Dario left quietly.

formulaben
09-03-06, 01:02 PM
I can only think of two top drivers. PT and Vasser. The rest were some teams staying like Coyne, FCR, N-H, Derrick Walker and Herdez (now HVM). How many of those teams were going to be Honda or Toyota factory teams. How many were going to get the large amounts of Yen? How about the remaining drivers? Not many stuck by CART/Champ Car when they could've also followed the money. Probably just PT, Vasser, FCR and N-H.

I also don't think fior a second anyone around here forgot about who stuck by the series and who didn't. Some here also make a distinction between those who tried to sabotage the series, who badmouthed the series and who left quietly. For me, Dario left quietly.

Well said.

G.
09-03-06, 02:30 PM
Very well said, sleepy guy.

I recall him badmouthing the old CART quite a bit while still in it (during post-qualifying press conferences in Mexico City '02).I don't. Was it "normal" whining about clowns and such, or was it against CART in the kool-aide sense.

Really, I'm asking.

I've always defended Dario, even if I think his personality leaves something to be desired (ok, a lot). I have always thought that he wanted to be in CCART, but couldn't get a ride, but I don't recall any badmouthing.

Insomniac
09-03-06, 05:28 PM
Very well said, sleepy guy.

Thanks G. and formulaben. :)

I don't. Was it "normal" whining about clowns and such, or was it against CART in the kool-aide sense.

Really, I'm asking.

I've always defended Dario, even if I think his personality leaves something to be desired (ok, a lot). I have always thought that he wanted to be in CCART, but couldn't get a ride, but I don't recall any badmouthing.

I would say given the time frame, it was probably more in the "Chris Kniefel is a circus clown" ballpark than "CART sucks, the IRL is better, I want to go there".

RaceGrrl
09-03-06, 11:53 PM
I was probably the biggest Dario fan on this forum until he left for the IRL. He left because he wanted the money. He chose the cash and dangerous race cars over a series he seemed to enjoy and a still decent paycheck. Whatevar.

I'd rather watch CCWS' current crop of ride buying backmarkers than Franchitti.

mueber
09-05-06, 08:49 AM
I was probably the biggest Dario fan on this forum until he left for the IRL. He left because he wanted the money. He chose the cash and dangerous race cars over a series he seemed to enjoy and a still decent paycheck. Whatevar.

I'd rather watch CCWS' current crop of ride buying backmarkers than Franchitti.

After thinking about it for awhile, I'd rather see any of a half-dozen Atlantics Champions who are currently languishing in Grand Am in the seat, but marketing-wize, I understand.

spinner26
09-05-06, 09:13 AM
Any truth to this rumor or just more Miller speculation. I did read somewhere where Carl said he was in negotiations but have not seen anything since.

ANyone?

NismoZ
09-05-06, 09:21 AM
Carl's eye is on Graham Rahal and correctly so. Marco has proven he is as fast or faster than Dario and I believe Rahal has demonstrated he has the measure of Marco. N/H will test and probably hire the new guy before the old guy.

Insomniac
09-05-06, 05:44 PM
Carl's eye is on Graham Rahal and correctly so. Marco has proven he is as fast or faster than Dario and I believe Rahal has demonstrated he has the measure of Marco. N/H will test and probably hire the new guy before the old guy.

I think Bobby also wants him with N-H.

Racing Truth
09-05-06, 05:54 PM
Will Dario be ready by RA? 3 weeks so I should think so.

extramundane
09-05-06, 07:44 PM
Will Dario be ready by RA? 3 weeks so I should think so.

That's assuming the scrambled noodle story is legit, and not just cover for an early end to his contract.

[/tinfoilhat]

tifosi77
09-05-06, 08:40 PM
That's assuming the scrambled noodle story is legit, and not just cover for an early end to his contract.

[/tinfoilhat]
Well, it worked for Jack Villnoov. :D

Indy
09-06-06, 03:07 AM

Exactly.

Though Ashley does provide a great deal of Hollywood-ego-ridiculous-funny-hat humor to the paddock.