PDA

View Full Version : Video Cam

Spicoli
08-31-06, 09:35 AM
wifey says we need to buy one. I have NFI what to do. any of you geekeroids care to impart some wizzzz-dumb on me? Can I get away with $500? Disk? Tape? tablet?

purpose: vids of kids, family, blah....

regards:

Father Spikkly. :gomer:

WickerBill
08-31-06, 09:52 AM
I'd suggest still going with tape for now... get MiniDV. Recording directly to miniDVDs isn't all it's cracked up to be, as you'll want to pull it off to a computer, edit it, then put it back on a DVD. Might as well do that with tape and save some money, imo.

There are also cams now with integrated hard drives, which is definitely going to be the future (either hard drive or solid state memory). However right now they're too expensive for what you get and the quality just isn't there (at least on the sub-$600 JVC models; I haven't used the > $1,000 Sony hard drive models).

I have bought this one for my family to hold us over until the hard drive, hi def cameras become more affordable: Canon Elura 100 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000DZH4D8/102-7844621-6440966?v=glance&n=502394)

It's teeny tiny and the video quality is really good. And... it's under 4 bills.

KLang
08-31-06, 09:55 AM
A couple years ago the wife bought me a Sony that records on the little DVD's. It works fine. If I were in the market today I would get one that records on an internal hard-drive so you don't have to worry about carrying around the media.

Spicoli
08-31-06, 10:19 AM
I'd suggest still going with tape for now... get MiniDV. Recording directly to miniDVDs isn't all it's cracked up to be, as you'll want to pull it off to a computer, edit it, then put it back on a DVD. Might as well do that with tape and save some money, imo.

There are also cams now with integrated hard drives, which is definitely going to be the future (either hard drive or solid state memory). However right now they're too expensive for what you get and the quality just isn't there (at least on the sub-$600 JVC models; I haven't used the > $1,000 Sony hard drive models).

I have bought this one for my family to hold us over until the hard drive, hi def cameras become more affordable: Canon Elura 100 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000DZH4D8/102-7844621-6440966?v=glance&n=502394)

It's teeny tiny and the video quality is really good. And... it's under 4 bills.

cool, thanks wickerbiller. just bought it. :thumbup: (got the Lowe pro bag for only $11.00 extra.

dando
08-31-06, 11:22 AM

Yup. Canon Eluras are a good way to go. :thumbup: Plus, they use the same batteries as some of their digital cameras, which is a bonus for swapping batteries.

-Kevin

Joelski
08-31-06, 11:23 AM
Got the same one, it's a decent piece. you'll want the telescopic lens for filming anything over 50' away. It zooms like hell, but your beer shakes will render it unwatchable.

:D

Spicoli
08-31-06, 11:23 AM
Yup. Canon Eluras are a good way to go. :thumbup: Plus, they use the same batteries as some of their digital cameras, which is a bonus for swapping batteries.

-Kevin

****. i gotta buy batteries too? :saywhat:

racer2c
08-31-06, 12:09 PM

Unless you got the model that has the little bird inside that etches the pictures with his beak.

RichK
08-31-06, 12:45 PM
Unless you got the model that has the little bird inside that etches the pictures with his beak.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Birdseed bills will suck, tho. And you have to lay paper on the bottom of the camera.

Canon MiniDV's are :thumbup:

Ankf00
08-31-06, 01:00 PM
you're a sharp one. :laugh:

WickerBill
08-31-06, 02:05 PM
It comes with a battery... geez people...

theunions
08-31-06, 02:08 PM
You'll probably want more than one battery.

DV is capable of broadcast quality footage - DVD is iffy.

Avoid models which don't let you connect external mikes or headsets.

Get a wide angle lens too.

KLang
08-31-06, 02:37 PM
You'll probably want more than one battery.

Avoid models which don't let you connect external mikes or headsets.

Get a wide angle lens too.

Just to be a devil's advocate a little.... ;)

Why would the the majority of users, taking home videos of little Mikey and Susie opening their Christmas presents, care about broadcast quality footage?

CART 500
08-31-06, 03:13 PM
cool, thanks wickerbiller. just bought it. :thumbup: (got the Lowe pro bag for only $11.00 extra.

Your buddy James is a Canon man :D

Wheel-Nut
08-31-06, 03:16 PM

Why would the the majority of users, taking home videos of little Mikey and Susie opening their Christmas presents, care about broadcast quality footage?

because one day you might want to start an adult video company. :thumbup: sorry. :laugh:

My neighbor is into this digital recording stuff. He has come out to my sons Little League games a couple of times and filmed the little "future hall of famer." He made us some really neat DVD's, set to music and everything. Nice quality stuff too. I always say get the best your budget can afford.

dando
08-31-06, 03:16 PM
I always recommend having @ least one backup battery. These things suck the juice, and it's never fun to run out in the middle of a pr0n shoot....errr, game or birfday. ;)

-Kevin

dando
08-31-06, 03:17 PM

Think Paris Hilton. :gomer: :saywhat:

-Kevin

Insomniac
08-31-06, 03:33 PM

Eh? DVD is 480 lines, last I checked DV is capable of that without a problem.

Spicoli
08-31-06, 03:36 PM
OK, so do i needta get any spacial software to make movies, put in music etc etc?

dando
08-31-06, 03:57 PM
OK, so do i needta get any spacial software to make movies, put in music etc etc?
Unless ya gots a Mac, yes.

-Kevin

racer2c
08-31-06, 04:00 PM

Your nifti lil' camera shoulda came with sum. Although, you can always resort to Windows Movie Maker if you have XP. Start->All Programs->Accessories->Entertainment->Windows Movie Maker.
It will let you edit and put titles and crap on your vids, but if you want DVD front end software with fancy menuuus etc, look to see if they gave you a disc with your camera.

WickerBill
08-31-06, 04:51 PM
If your computer doesn't have a firewire port, find an Adaptec (or other good name brand) one on eBay for $20.

SteveH
08-31-06, 05:31 PM
Spickly's home movies on You Tube :gomer: :laugh:

Spicoli
09-01-06, 12:08 AM
Spickly's home movies on You Tube :gomer: :laugh:

oh youy bet .

thank me later. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkNkC3raYzg)

Opposite Lock
09-01-06, 12:19 AM
oh youy bet .

thank me later. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkNkC3raYzg)

:thumbup:
Cheap Trick sez "Thank You!"

Spicoli
09-06-06, 08:40 PM
Got it today. Nice camera. Forgot to tell me it didn;t come with a memory card or cassettes.

http://www.freewebby.com/angry-smilies/grrr.gif

racer2c
09-06-06, 08:57 PM
Got it today. Nice camera. Forgot to tell me it didn;t come with a memory card or cassettes.

http://www.freewebby.com/angry-smilies/grrr.gif

Don't forget to take the lense cap off.

Spicoli
09-06-06, 09:04 PM
Don't forget to take the lense cap off.

Where's the lens cap?

racer2c
09-06-06, 09:07 PM
Where's the lens cap?

It's on the camera, which is in the camera bag, which is on the bar stool you'll leave it on.:)

Did it come with some software?

Spicoli
09-06-06, 09:15 PM
It's on the camera, which is in the camera bag, which is on the bar stool you'll leave it on.:)

Did it come with some software?

The bag was soft. :gomer:

you would THINK, they's at least give you some memory. Or is that not standard?:confused:

racer2c
09-06-06, 09:19 PM

you would THINK, they's at least give you some memory. Or is that not standard?:confused:

My Canon came with a small 32mb SD chip. No cassette. They're both pretty cheap these days though.

WickerBill
09-06-06, 09:41 PM
Hey dude, FYI, doesn't come with tapes or an SD card. Buy TDK tapes at Amazon. Buy SD card(s) at ecost.com

FYI

dando
09-06-06, 11:35 PM

Spickly, you remind me of a nickname for Kramer in Seinfeld....Hipster Doofus. :gomer: :p :tony:

-Kevin

Insomniac
09-07-06, 08:35 AM

Generally depends on the price range of your Camcorder. Even if it did come with a memory card, it would be tiny and hold few pictures. Generally, you get nickel and dimed for all the accessories.