PDA

View Full Version : Time for a scanner

TRDfan
08-30-06, 10:36 PM
I'm finally going to take the plunge and get a scanner, but I have no idea
what to look for. If anyone has suggestions, or ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Can't believe RA is only a three weeks away, I want to have one in hand for that weekend.

devilmaster
08-30-06, 11:29 PM
This is what I look for in a scanner...

Simplicity in channel programming. Most scanners are able to openly scan the entire frequency band, and are able to program specific freaks into a memory list which can range from a dozen channels to over 99 channels. When programmed, the scanner will scan through the programmed channels, stopping on a channel if it picks up anything other than static. If you can play with them b4 you buy, find an old online scanner freak list for any race series, and take it with you. Try the scanner out. First off, set the squelch. Best way to set squelch is to put it on any freak that has static. Turn the squelch dial till the sound goes away, then dial it back a smidgen. Then, if it has the option of scanning the entire spectrum, let it scan through the entire range to find a channel. If it finds one, see if you can quickly save that freak into a programmed channel(quick-save). Find an old Champcar freak list online. Take it with you and see how quickly you can input a few channels into memory. I know that racing radios or whomever goes to the track can program your scanner for you if you buy their products. Thats great, but what if they don't show up, or the program they gave you has changed since? Learn how to quickly add your own channels, and you can save 5 bucks a day for their freak list.

A good bright display. Realize that you'll be out in the sun most of the time with it, and if you're listening to multiple channels, you'll want to see who's talking. The newer displays almost all have the sporty neon background colours. If you can, take it outside with the salesman before you buy.

Batterys and battery life. Look for the scanner that claims longevity. Realize that the life they claim is an estimate, and if you use cheap batteries, it may not last that long - but naturally, you don't want to change batteries in the middle of a race.

Controls. Simple, clear controls, and a clear area where the headphone jack is. You may want to use a splitter on your scanner, and if they put the jack in between the antenna and squelch dial, you may have a problem attaching a splitter.

Headphones - I've always believed in personal preference, and I prefer the budphones than a full headset - but make sure it has a long wire. IIRC steve, you're the same height as me basically, so put the headset on and do a few deep knee bends to test it out. Good headsets can run high price wise, but the ambient sound deadening is what you're basically paying for. Try em out and have someone talk really loud to you while they are on.

Weather-resistant. Always a good idea. ;)

nrc
08-31-06, 01:41 AM
Here's a depressing note. Looks like all the racing focused Uniden scanners have the NASCAR logo on them now. :saywhat:

Our 99 channel Uniden has held up great. 99 channels is plenty unless you want to program multiple series and not have to reprogram.

Get a stub antenna, they help cut down on interference from other sources. Also spend some extra money on a nice set of headphones. The base level headphones that come with some of the package deals are uncomfortable and won't stay adjusted.

KLang
08-31-06, 11:39 AM
Went through a couple different Uniden models before I ended up with the SC200. I really like being able to program the scanner from a PC. Race By Race (http://www.racebyrace.com/) even has the file ready to download for free.

Opposite Lock
08-31-06, 09:39 PM
I’m also shopping out my first scanner system.

It appears that the Uniden SC2000 is now only available (retail) in the SC2300 form, (which unfortunately includes a NAPCAR logo – I can cover the logo on the product with electrical tape, or maybe erase it with nail polish remover, but I can’t blot out the stain from knowing that the France family will make a buck off me from the logo license.)

With the standard package you get 2 sets of red headphones. There’s a modest upcharge to the blue headphones which are claimed to offer better ambient noise resistance. Worth the upcharge? And are there simple add-on mics to do a buddy-talk system? (The AVCOMM HO500 headsets look a little too large and expensive to me)

DM – what are the budphones you mentioned? I’m thinking earbuds with compact shooting muffs might be cool, light, and cheap. If this works, no need for a push-to-talk buddy mic – just pull a muff back and yell!

KLang
09-01-06, 09:32 AM
I've got the blue 'Solution 1' headsets from racescanners.com. I like the amount of noise reduction they have. I have no problem hearing the scanner communications yet I can also hear most of what is going on around me. One of these days I want to try out one of the 'behind the head' models for comparison.