PDA

View Full Version : Can Lola Pull A "Boeing"?

NismoZ
08-30-06, 08:40 PM
Years ago the 747 lost a design competition to be the heavy lifter for the Air Force to Lockeed's C-5. All it did was become one of the most successful passenger airliners in history. ChampCar chose the Panoz design over the Lola entry to be "The Future Of Racing" but now Lola is anxious to provide A1GP with a new 750hp racecar by 2008. Still too early to write off A1, I think.

Peter Olivola
08-30-06, 08:47 PM
The attempt at analogy is confused beyond the point of making any sense. You seem to be unable to distinguish between the supplier and contractor.

NismoZ
08-30-06, 09:12 PM
Hi Pete...nope, don't care about those definitions, just wondering about Lola making something positive occur out of what at first seemed like a defeat. Without getting TOO cerebral I'd say that's sort of what happened in the air industry. Toodles.

Peter Olivola
08-30-06, 10:21 PM
Well, chassis builders build chassis and hope to supply the industry. Maybe they'll get the contract. Maybe they won't, but don't you think the Boing thing is a stretch?

racer2c
08-30-06, 10:34 PM
If Lola makes A1 cars, does that mean that A1 will be on TV in the US? If yes, will anyone watch? :gomer:

Ronbo
08-31-06, 01:00 AM
Does anybody remember when nobody wanted a Lola? Reynards were ruling the series, and the lola was a total pig.
All that to say, there are no guarentees in life, just because the Lola is a good car in CC now, means that big bird will choke the cookie monster in the air.

Think about it!!

Indy
08-31-06, 01:59 AM
If Lola is well managed, they will be calling on the boy king. He must be trying to find a way to copy the DP01 already.

Easy
08-31-06, 11:28 AM
If Lola makes an IRL chassis will it be a backbreaking POS crapwagon? Or does Dallara get to maintain that distinction for their years of making substandard racing chassis the world over?

The new A1GP 800hp car has been part of A1's plan all along. The current A1GP cars will become A2GP which along with South Africa's A3 series will form their ladder system.

Joelski
08-31-06, 11:31 AM
Years ago the 747 lost a design competition to be the heavy lifter for the Air Force to Lockeed's C-5. All it did was become one of the most successful passenger airliners in history. ChampCar chose the Panoz design over the Lola entry to be "The Future Of Racing" but now Lola is anxious to provide A1GP with a new 750hp racecar by 2008. Still too early to write off A1, I think.

Can Lola pull a Boeing?

If they build crapwagons, they can pull an Airbus!

:D

extramundane
08-31-06, 11:55 AM
If Lola makes an IRL chassis will it be a backbreaking POS crapwagon?

FLOLA!!!!!11!1!,,,!!1! :flame: :gomer:

pchall
08-31-06, 04:13 PM
Can Lola pull a Boeing?

If they build crapwagons, they can pull an Airbus!

:D

:rofl:

NismoZ
08-31-06, 05:24 PM
Peter, Lola already has the contract for A1 and I was just guessing, by what they were saying, that thay would also be building the next gen tub. When Panoz was chosen over Lola by ChampCar didn't you even wonder if Lola would try to pitch that design to the IRL, A1 or...someplace? Not easy to just let a lot of hard work become totally unproductive.. Actually I thought the airframe analogy was OK, sorry it didn't work for you. :)

Accipiter
08-31-06, 06:00 PM
Isn't it a bit early for A1 to be talking about a new Chassis? You'd think they would want run the current ones for 4 or 5 years to keep costs down.

Ed_Severson
08-31-06, 06:06 PM
The attempt at analogy is confused beyond the point of making any sense. You seem to be unable to distinguish between the supplier and contractor.

Yeah, I don't get it either. Is Lola building an airplane or something? :gomer:

cameraman
08-31-06, 06:40 PM
Isn't it a bit early for A1 to be talking about a new Chassis? You'd think they would want run the current ones for 4 or 5 years to keep costs down. The current chassis is their version of the Atlantics. They are talking about building their DP01. Seeing as how the sheik's income is tied to crude oil prices, I don't see him lacking for the funds to build the cars any time soon...

Peter Olivola
08-31-06, 09:31 PM
I wonder when a chassis manufacturer like Lola doesn't bid on a contract.

You want an analogy? Okay, here's one and it always bugs me when it happens. The press coverage of every major criminal trial always includes a headline about the defense moving to dismiss the case after the prosecution closes. Why anyone thinks that's news is a complete mystery to me. What would be news is if the defense attorney didn't make the motion. It's routine, like chassis manufacturers bidding on contracts.

Peter, Lola already has the contract for A1 and I was just guessing, by what they were saying, that thay would also be building the next gen tub. When Panoz was chosen over Lola by ChampCar didn't you even wonder if Lola would try to pitch that design to the IRL, A1 or...someplace? Not easy to just let a lot of hard work become totally unproductive.. Actually I thought the airframe analogy was OK, sorry it didn't work for you. :)

Sean O'Gorman
08-31-06, 09:37 PM
Here is an appropriate analogy. Reading this thread is like getting a root canal.

Ed_Severson
08-31-06, 10:34 PM
Here is an appropriate analogy. Reading this thread is like getting a root canal.

Strictly speaking, that's a simile. :p

cameraman
09-01-06, 12:21 AM
The press coverage of every major criminal trial always includes a headline about the defense moving to dismiss the case after the prosecution closes. Why anyone thinks that's news is a complete mystery to me. What would be news is if the defense attorney didn't make the motion. It's routine Pure Bull. You file a crap motion to dismiss in front of any member of this Federal Circuit you will be doing your reputation with the bench no favors. Such motions do get filed but only when there is a valid reason and it sure as hell isn't routine.

pchall
09-01-06, 06:51 AM
Yeah, I don't get it either. Is Lola building an airplane or something? :gomer:

This analogy might make some sense if Lola were to apply all their preliminary design work for a new Champ Car to building a school bus for Kia.

Peter Olivola
09-01-06, 08:21 AM
I said nothing about federal. My exerpience is with state courts in New Jersey, New York and Illinois. And most criminal cases are state, not federal. So find a place to dispose of your own bull.

Pure Bull. You file a crap motion to dismiss in front of any member of this Federal Circuit you will be doing your reputation with the bench no favors. Such motions do get filed but only when there is a valid reason and it sure as hell isn't routine.

chop456
09-01-06, 08:26 AM
My exerpience is with state courts in New Jersey, New York and Illinois.

I didn't know smugness was illegal.

I best mind my P's and Q's. :gomer:

Accipiter
09-01-06, 09:18 AM
The current chassis is their version of the Atlantics. They are talking about building their DP01. Seeing as how the sheik's income is tied to crude oil prices, I don't see him lacking for the funds to build the cars any time soon...

Well, I guess if the bill is going to the Sheik and not the teams....

BTW, USA has had AL Jr. in the car. WTF?

NismoZ
09-01-06, 06:46 PM
Maybe by '08 KK will be looking to merge with A1 since they will also be running a "Champcar" by Lola and be looking to expand a business plan of more city street races. The A1 Champcar World Series will then be looking to run only about 4-5 North & South American races in addition to their world trekking. Just shoot me!

coolhand
09-01-06, 07:20 PM
A1 is running a -$500 million profit right now. That Shiek is very arrogant with his money and from what I understand knows little about racing. He is one of the lower level shieks too. If you want to get on his gravy train do it now, alot of people like Emerson and such are amking money doing this and don't have to put in any of their own money.

pchall
09-01-06, 09:54 PM
BTW, USA has had AL Jr. in the car. WTF?

I thought that the US A1GP team only had their name on the side of AU, Jr's Indy sled this year? If they actually expect him to race they must be picking up some pretty good stuff when they race in SEA and the Emirates. :shakehead

Accipiter
09-02-06, 11:13 AM
I don't know, he's only 4 seconds off the pace.

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/more/31981/

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/more/32071/

It remains unclear whether Unser Jr. will have an active racing role with the team, but USA franchise holder Rick Weidinger assures the veteran IndyCar star will "definitely" play a significant role with the operation this season.

You just don't know what Dubai means.

extramundane
09-02-06, 11:44 AM
Weidinger's no dummy. It's brilliant decisions like this that have made his IRL team the successful, consistent front-runner it is today. :gomer:

pchall
09-02-06, 11:49 AM
I don't know, he's only 4 seconds off the pace. You just don't know what Dubai means.

:rofl:

This of season we could have an AU, Jr./Giebler Futility Watch for the A1GP!

Team USA endured a difficult day with drivers Phil Giebler and Al Unser Jr. The American entry was 20th and last in the morning session, improving to 18th in the afternoon.

It remains unclear whether Unser Jr. will have an active racing role with the team, but USA franchise holder Rick Weidinger assures the veteran IndyCar star will "definitely" play a significant role with the operation this season.

cameraman
09-02-06, 01:46 PM
Then there are all the innerweb folks who were upset that Rahal would choose to drive for Lebanon instead of Weidinger's stellar USA team...

Peter Olivola
09-03-06, 10:47 PM
Is that what you call it when someone has more experience than you?

Pity.

I didn't know smugness was illegal.

I best mind my P's and Q's. :gomer:

nrc
09-03-06, 10:51 PM
What is all this "you" stuff? Speak to the topic and not the poster. Both of you.

Ronbo
09-04-06, 09:32 PM

Like I was saying!!!

Next......

trauma1
09-05-06, 09:36 AM
A1 is running a -$500 million profit right now. That Shiek is very arrogant with his money and from what I understand knows little about racing. He is one of the lower level shieks too. If you want to get on his gravy train do it now, alot of people like Emerson and such are amking money doing this and don't have to put in any of their own money.

A1 lost 250 mil last year ,
A1 lost over $200m in first season

By Dieter Rencken Tuesday, June 6th 2006, 09:02 GMT

A1 Grand Prix lost $212 million (USD) in its first season of operation, Tony Teixeira, deputy chairman of the self-proclaimed 'World Cup of Motorsport', has told financial news service Bloomberg.

The South African entrepreneur added that the series' second season would be financed by a loan of $120m, made available by Nomura Holdings, and hoped to raise $80m through the sale of shares in the series, presently held by venture capitalist company RAB Capital, Teixeira, series founder Sheik Maktoum and the British, Canadian, New Zealand and South African seat holders.

"We made a loss of $212 million in the first season. I expected it to be half that," said Teixeira. "We weren't ready for the unknowns, including the cost of transportation (and) promoting races."

Teixeira said he was "very disappointed" with the promotion of events in Germany and Portugal, and these had been dropped for the second season, whilst admitting that growing the television audience remained a major challenge.

"We finished the season with an average (television) audience of 9.5 million, which is more than expected. We're aiming for 14 million to 16 million for next season ... but to get on proper (television) channels you need to spend money," he said.

Formula One claims a global television audience of 350m viewers.

nrc
09-05-06, 12:57 PM
"We made a loss of $212 million in the first season. I expected it to be half that," said Teixeira. "We weren't ready for the unknowns, including the cost of transportation (and) promoting races."I mean, who could have predicted that? :saywhat:

Why do I imagine that these figures will be twisted around and applied to CCWS in Gomerland? :gomer:

extramundane
09-05-06, 01:35 PM
Why do I imagine that these figures will be twisted around and applied to CCWS in Gomerland? :gomer:

'Cuz they both drive them nancy-boy Lolers, and iffin yeh squint real hard, that Kalkoven fella looks kinda like an A-rab.

trauma1
09-06-06, 09:15 AM
bet it's the chassis thaat they wanted to build for CC