PDA

View Full Version : Shorty awake (-ish)!!!!!

G.
08-30-06, 01:58 PM
Gustavo da Matta - Neenah / Winsconsin @ 29.08 @ 13:56
Once again I would like to thank everyone's support. After what happened yesterday, I have the courage and the pleasure to say that Cristiano woke up. Since then, he was sleeping the whole day, and he used to open his eyes three times a day and only for 1 minute. Yesterday he was amanzingly awake. We tried to interact with him, and he was trying to say something so hard. We called the nurse and she colsed the trakeotomy so he could speak. He tried but he didn't. So we explained what happened to him and asked him if he understood, and he said yes with his head. We asked him if he remember and he said no. He was trying to speak so bad, so we handle him a piece of paper and a pen, he started to write some things but we couldn't figure out what it was. We gave him a lip stick and he helped himself naturally, and we gave him his mobile and he opened it, and changed things on the menu. We also helped him as he stood up and walked with very short steps till the window. Then he felt tired and went to sleep after a while. Today he woke up, did the physical therapy, walking with the nurses help around the room. Then we realized that he wanted to speak and we asked the nurse to close the trake. He tried to talk, and after three minutes the nurse showed him his picture at the podium and asked him who was that, and he says, "it could be me". He also recognized our parents. Very confused, he asked what's going on, why he was there. We explained and he asked some more questions, all in english. I showed him the guitar and asked him if he wants to play, he said yes, and as I handle it to him he started to do some chords, not very tight but I was very impressed. He played for over 10 minutes and as he couldn't "really" play, he asked me if I remember something, showing the he was frustrated that he wasn't playing the way he should. Then he felt tired and went to sleep. He is doing well, he got no infections and he is able to breath on his own, but they will keep the trake till the next surgery in case he needs that. He's been walking once a day with the nurses help and the surgery migth be on friday. Keep on praying cause he have to go through one more surgery, but now we have the strongest one with us in battle, him. thanks very much!

damatta.com

devilmaster
08-30-06, 02:04 PM
keeping the fingers crossed..... :thumbup:

RichK
08-30-06, 02:10 PM
Wow, that's a lot of stuff he's doing at this point! An acquaintance of mine crashed a couple months ago during practice for the Isle of Man TT - he's at about the same point, but after months.

Of course, every head injury and patient is different, but this sounds really good for Da Matta. :thumbup:

dando
08-30-06, 02:28 PM
Excellent news! :thumbup: :thumbup:

-Kevin

Elmo T
08-30-06, 02:30 PM
Heads injuries are tough - but this is excellent news. I was concerned about the lack of recent information.

There is a long road ahead, but these are all positive steps... :thumbup:

tifosi77
08-30-06, 02:36 PM
Fantastic news!!!!!!! :D

cameraman
08-30-06, 02:37 PM
This is very good news. :thumbup:

TRDfan
08-30-06, 03:43 PM
:) :) :)

pfc_m_drake
08-30-06, 03:57 PM
Very good news, and good thoughts for continued progress :thumbup:

racer2c
08-30-06, 04:10 PM
That just made my day. Thanks for posting that. :thumbup:

Accipiter
08-30-06, 04:12 PM
Awesome!

Ankf00
08-30-06, 05:04 PM
:thumbup: :)

emjaya
08-30-06, 05:20 PM
:)

High Sided
08-30-06, 06:34 PM
sounds like the way i woke up from my head injury, thankfully shorty doesn't have to be told of a spinal cord injury ta'boot. hopefully shorty will regain al he's lost and able to race again.

rabbit
08-31-06, 10:54 AM
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/31983/

Joelski
08-31-06, 11:30 AM
Hopefully soon they can yank the G-tube, close the trach hole, and dig that chunk-o-noggin out of his belly and bondo his grape shut. According to the article, he's already got better guitar chops than Braak. :thumbup:

Dr. Corkski
08-31-06, 12:35 PM
:thumbup:

oddlycalm
08-31-06, 02:54 PM
Glad to see he'll be up and complaining about it soon. :thumbup:

oc

Anteater
08-31-06, 09:06 PM
This is progress beyond my wildest dreams: walking, playing the guitar and trying to speak in two languages! :thumbup: Pray that all goes well with the surgery.

racer2c
08-31-06, 09:10 PM
This is progress beyond my wildest dreams: walking, playing the guitar and trying to speak in two languages! :thumbup: Pray that all goes well with the surgery.

No doubt! All in the same day he woke up! heck, he'll be back in the car before ya know it. You rock Shorty!

Ruben Barrios
08-31-06, 09:36 PM
awsome.... awsome...

theunions
09-02-06, 04:14 PM
Mad Max just said on the Grand Am telecast that Shorty left voice mails for JV and Oriol two days ago. :)

Accipiter
09-02-06, 04:15 PM
Awesomer! :thumbup: :thumbup:

theunions
09-02-06, 09:52 PM
I dunno how much of it was Oriol's own interpretation vs. what may actually have been said in the voice mail, but in his subsequent GA telecast interview Oriol (while wearing his Da Matta Design cap) said Shorty specifically acknowledged the former's pending visit to Wisconsin tomorrow.

Anteater
09-07-06, 11:22 AM
Another update from Gustavo (dated 9/1):
http://www.damatta.com/index.php

I want to inform all of you about Cristiano's latest news, as the support you've been giving us has been very import[ant] for his recovery.

Cristiano got into the surgery room at 8:30, and about an hour later the doctor came to us and said that it wasn't possible to put the bone back due to a little infection. At first we were concerned, but we understood that he just wanted to prevent further problems as everything is going so well.

As he got back to his room he was already awake and restless. The doctors decided to keep on with the rehabilitation schedule. He was transfered to the sixth floor, where is the recovery center.

We don't feel we are in the hospital anymore. There are musical instruments, a gym, and a daily schedule that keeps him busy as he gets back to a normal routine. Now he is able to wear his own clothes, his watch, and doing basics things, such as brushing his teeth, washing hands, and going to a restroom by himself.

At this point, it is normal that the person gets restless, and keeps talking over and over. Even though it looks senseless, he is remembering things that has happened in his life. He recognizes all of us, but he doesn't understand yet that he had the accident and where he is. It is amazing how he improved the speech and the walking. We are very happy with his progress and the surgery might happen within three weeks.

Best regards.

I checked the Portuguese version, and found some interesting details that were left out of the English translation, such as the catheter was removed (it "was bothering him the most"; the tracheotomy has been closed up; Cristiano "sings the music that he likes" and tries to read everything.

Keep up the good work, Kiki! :thumbup: And a big thanks to Gustavo for keeping us updated.

Spicoli
09-07-06, 11:31 AM
keep fightin shorty!:thumbup:

Anteater
09-12-06, 12:27 PM
More good news from damatta.com:

Gustavo da Matta - Neenah / Wisconsin @ 06.09 @ 22:58
Dear friends and fans, just a little update about Cristiano's conditions.

Right now he is very strong, talking a lot and whenever he is rested he makes a lot of sense, though he does not understand how serious was the accident. The traque has been removed, and he started to eat two days ago, but he's not able to get enough food, so they will keep the feeding tube for a while. Yesterday he ate a cheeseburger, coke and ice cream.

He's been walking around a lot and each day doing more physical therapy. As he got more active, we noticed that he's been avoiding doing things with the right arm, such as brushing his teeth and holding the fork. He starting to complain about a pain in his right shoulder. We are thinking that he has something like a muscular injury, probably caused by the time when the car hit the wall. We don't know for sure, the doctors are already doing everything they can to figure it out, but we don't have the official report.

Patients with head injury normally get very confused, aggressive, doesn't recognize people and the short term memory doesn't work well. Cristiano is able to recognize all of us, including friends that use to come over. He is not aggressive at all, he's been very polite to everyone over here. He is improving slowly but surely, the surgery might happen within three weeks, by that time he will be much stronger than now.

Best regards!

pchall
09-12-06, 12:33 PM
More good news from damatta.com:

Yesterday he ate a cheeseburger, coke and ice cream.

Now that Shorty's back eating The Official J. P. Montoya Training Diet™ for Champ Car racing we can all be sure he's on the mend!

oddlycalm
09-12-06, 02:49 PM
Best news I've hear all week.:thumbup:

oc

Anteater
09-15-06, 01:32 AM
And another positive update from damatta.com:

Gustavo da Matta - Neenah / Wisconsin @ 13.09 @ 09:52
Good morning!

I'd like to inform that Cristiano is getting much better, it is possible to see that he improves every day. The shoulder issue hasn't been detected yet, but the doctors keep on tracking it. Right now he'll do some exams.

The good news I have for today is that he is doing so well that the doctors decided to anticipate the surgery to put the bone back for next Friday, 15th. Let's pray for him. If everything goes well, he will be able to leave the hospital ten days after.

Best regards!

:thumbup: Praying that all goes well tomorrow!

RaceGrrl
09-15-06, 09:27 AM
Thanks for the update. It's good to hear that he's doing so well.

Anteater
09-19-06, 10:20 AM
The surgery took place as scheduled on Friday, and Cristiano is doing well but is in a lot of pain.

He turned 33 years old today; you may post birthday wishes (or get-well wishes) at damatta.com. :)