PDA

View Full Version : best guitar solo ever

Pages : [1] 2

G.
08-28-06, 04:50 PM
Pink Floyd secure guitar solo title Monday August 28, 12:27 AM
Click to enlarge photo

Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb has the best guitar solo of all time, according to a new poll.

It was chosen ahead of the opening riff from Sweet Child O' Mine by Guns N' Roses.

Third was Freebird by Lynyrd Skynyrd, while Eruption by Van Halen was fourth and Guns N' Roses' November Rain fifth.

Led Zeppelin classic Stairway to Heaven was in sixth place.

Radio station Planet Rock asked listeners to come up with a top 40.

The rest of the top 10 featured Sultans of Swing by Dire Straits, Aqualung by Jethro Tull, Hotel California by The Eagles and Child In Time by Deep Purple.

link (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/27082006/344/pink-floyd-secure-guitar-solo-title.html)

Go ahead and argue, I mean, discuss, you argumentative sons of guns. And daughters. Or something.

Quite a few G&R solos need to be up in the top 10.

I heard Sweet Child O Mine this AM and was thinking about the opening of that song. Great stuff.

RichK
08-28-06, 04:56 PM
November Rain & Hotel California have always been my favorites.

Don Quixote
08-28-06, 05:18 PM
I always liked Stevie Hunter's guitar Intro to Lou Reed's Sweet Jane on the Rock n Roll Animal LP.

Seriously though, Freebird? :saywhat:
Two of the top 5 by Guns n Roses? :saywhat:

racer2c
08-28-06, 05:38 PM
I don't even know how Novermber Rain goes and I don't want to.

Gilmore has some decent smooth licks, but November Rain? Puleezze.

Where's Sultans of Swing?

If GnR is in there than that opens up the whole metal genre in which there are some seriously great guitar solos.

G.
08-28-06, 05:46 PM
Two of the top 5 by Guns n Roses? Yes. At least two. Les Paul through Marshall stacks, no greater sound in the world. Slash is a fantastic soloist.

Um, in the OP.

Opposite Lock
08-28-06, 05:51 PM
For once I actually agree with one of these crazy "best whatever of all time" polls, at least as far as David Gilmour's Comfortably Numb being at the top goes. I once heard the solo from Comfortably Numb described as "excruciatingly beautiful", which sounds about right to me.

Off the top of my head, I would have also nominated, among hundreds of others:

Blue Oyster Cult - Don't Fear the Reaper

Heart - Crazy On You and/or Magic Man

so many others - lotso guitar heroes out there - depends on the mood/genre. (one-note punk stuff, Zappa, some Rundgren, maybe Prince, it's a pretty long list if everything is in one category)

And out of the pop mainstream, there are probably another dozen I'd nominate just from Steve Hackett.

RichK
08-28-06, 05:51 PM
I don't even know how Novermber Rain goes and I don't want to.

Check it out - it's a surprisingly emotional solo - with an awesome tone as G. mentioned. I'm not much of a metal or GnR fan, but that solo really stands out to me.

indyfan31
08-28-06, 05:57 PM
"Boom-Boom, Out go the Lights".
Pat Thrall with the Pat Travers Band

coolhand
08-28-06, 06:59 PM
I agree with the GnfR selections.

Robstar
08-28-06, 07:05 PM
Same here... especially the solo in Sweet Child O' Mine... :thumbup:

racermike
08-28-06, 07:25 PM
No Eddie Van Halen anywhere?

Not even an honorable mention?

Something is very wrong

http://www.planet.nl/upload_mm/8/4/5/1896295883_1999995774_eddie-van-halen_80.jpg

RichK
08-28-06, 07:31 PM

Something is very wrong

Don't fret! :laugh:

while Eruption by Van Halen was fourth

emjaya
08-28-06, 08:09 PM

Something is very wrong

http://www.planet.nl/upload_mm/8/4/5/1896295883_1999995774_eddie-van-halen_80.jpg

f... Eddie van Halen, where is Jimi Hendrix?

ferrarigod
08-28-06, 09:37 PM
where is Jimi Hendrix?

Pink Floyd is my favorite band all-time, Hendrix is my favorite guitarist of all time. Love to see Comfortably Numb on top, but there are about 100 Hendrix songs missing on that list....Machine Gun springs to mind right now.

Cam
08-28-06, 09:46 PM

That and Scuttlebuttin'! :thumbup:

Opposite Lock
08-28-06, 10:11 PM
turbo-list (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notable_rock_guitar_soloists)

who is missing?

BOSTON (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musicians_with_the_band_Boston)

RHR_Fan
08-28-06, 10:17 PM
Agree with "November Rain." I love that song.

~Nicole

pkvracing12
08-28-06, 10:31 PM
What About hendrix?

Don Quixote
08-28-06, 10:40 PM
You guys are killing me. What about:
Cortez the Killer by Neil Young
Rock Bottom, Michael Schenker/UFO
Boston Rag, Skunk Baxter w/ Steeley Dan
Midnight by Hendix + about anything else by Hendrix
Since I been Loving You, Page
Too Rolling Stoned, Robin Trower
about anything by Johnny Winter
where is Pete Townsend?
where is Dickie Betts?
where is Alex Lifeson for God's sake?
Leslie West, Stevie Ray Vaughn?
Clapton, Santana, Zappa (see Willy the Pimp)?
Satriani, Blackmore, Steve Howe?

Opposite Lock
08-28-06, 10:43 PM
:cool: Van Halen? check. Hendrix? check. Lifeson? we'll see... :)

Dave Uhrich (http://www.daveuhrich.com/)

learn to play! for free!

seriously, this guy is good. :cool:

Lizzerd
08-28-06, 11:06 PM
Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb has the best guitar solo of all time, according to a new poll.

I couldn't agree more... Best ever.

And this, from ferrarigod... we are on the same wavelength, man.

Pink Floyd is my favorite band all-time, Hendrix is my favorite guitarist of all time. Love to see Comfortably Numb on top, but there are about 100 Hendrix songs missing on that list....Machine Gun springs to mind right now.

I can probably think of 100 more! :D Just kidding, 100 is a nice number.

I have an old scratched up vinyl of Jimi called Rainbow Bridge. I can't remember the name of the tune, but it is a long one on side two. Five minutes of virtuoso acoustic picking and strumming as the intro.

Opposite Lock
08-28-06, 11:51 PM
where is Pete Townsend?
where is Dickie Betts?

don't "you" guys traditionally include Ronnie Montrose anymore?
:)

Dave99
08-28-06, 11:52 PM
I always liked Stevie Hunter's guitar Intro to Lou Reed's Sweet Jane on the Rock n Roll Animal LP.
Not to mention the conventional solos from that song! :thumbup:

The twin leads of Steven Hunter and Dick Wagner were in much demand back in the 70's... lending their uncredited talents to such notable artists as Alice Cooper, Aerosmith and KISS. Joe Perry and Ace Frehley never sounded better! ;)

racermike
08-29-06, 01:23 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eJgRJ15XzI

Here ya go ... Eddie's "Eruption"

nrc
08-29-06, 02:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eJgRJ15XzI

Here ya go ... Eddie's "Eruption"

Hey, Eddie. If you get near a song, play it.

rabbit
08-29-06, 02:23 AM
Blue Oyster Cult - Don't Fear the Reaper

Needs more cowbell.

Don Quixote
08-29-06, 07:53 AM
don't "you" guys traditionally include Ronnie Montrose anymore?
:)Absolutely, Montrose needs to be in the mix as well. One of the hardest working guitarists ever, and always showed up for the live performances.

TrueBrit
08-29-06, 10:31 AM
where is Pete Townsend?
where is Dickie Betts?

I agree, Rock Bottom by Schenker off the UFO live album absolutely smokes!!!

But Glimore's solo in Comfortably Numb is superb....

trauma1
08-29-06, 12:01 PM
Molly Hachett "Dreams"

eiregosod
08-29-06, 02:33 PM
a guitar solo is only as good as what the backing band is playing.

RacinM3
08-29-06, 03:32 PM
Unless they consider it the wrong genre, I don't see how Stevie Ray Vaughan's "Little Wing" gets left off the list. I mean, the whole damn song's a solo!

ferrarigod
08-29-06, 03:53 PM
Unless they consider it the wrong genre, I don't see how Stevie Ray Vaughan's "Little Wing" gets left off the list. I mean, the whole damn song's a solo!

Great solo, SRV is the only person who could truly do Hendrix, but even his version isn't better than Hendrix's. Damn close though and is different, and awesome.

Cam
08-29-06, 03:55 PM

Scuttlebuttin' ;)

EDwardo
08-29-06, 04:36 PM
BOSTON

Must gag now.

Andy Latimer (Camel) Stationary Traveller "Pressure Points"

Ted Turner and Andy Powell (Wishbone Ash) Argus "The king will Come"
Incredible double lead guitar!

Ritchie Blackmore Deep Purple "Smoke on the Water" should be mentioned also

indyfan31
08-29-06, 05:31 PM
Scuttlebuttin' ;)
That song KICKS BUTT. :thumbup:

datachicane
08-29-06, 06:10 PM
List without Hendrix == freakin' joke.

Multiple G&R without a single Hendrix?
GMAFB.
:thumdown:

Spicoli
08-29-06, 06:13 PM
So, according to ya'll, it appears they quit recording music in 1988. :laugh:

ferrarigod
08-29-06, 06:16 PM

1978 actually. :thumbup:

indyfan31
08-29-06, 06:31 PM
Not all music, just anything worth listening to. ;)

oddlycalm
08-29-06, 06:50 PM
How the hell do you narrow it down to 10? I'd go with these in no particular order I guess...

"Bumpin" Wes Montgomery - jazz strictly speaking, but in a blues scale and influenced a lot of rockers
"Voodoo Chile - slight return" Jimi Hendrix - the origninal
"Voodoo Chile" Stevie Ray Vaughn - best tribute to an original ever
"Kashmir" Steve Morse with the Dixie Dregs - live version off Bring 'Em Back Alive
"Cliffs of Dover" Eric Johnson - or pretty much anything else by Eric Johnson
"Money" David Gilmore w/ Pink Floyd - what can I say..?
"Whiskey Before Breakfast" Norman Blake - haunting traditional tune, incredible acoustic flat picker
"Thing Called Love" Bonnie Raitt - when you know who it is after the first note, it's an original
"In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed" Duane Allman / Dickie Betts - or any of a dozen others
"Sleep Dirt" Frank Zappa - or Inca Roads for those liking a larger dose

G., while l like the traditional crunch of a Les Paul w/ Marshall stack, especially for rhythm part, my favorite tone is a Strat w/ Dumble Overdrive Special. Sweet rich clean tone with creamy smooth singing overdrive. You've heard it on dozens of recordings, you just weren't aware of it. Lots of pros own them but at $10-$12K each most don't tour with them with SRV and Eric Johnson being the exceptions.

oc

datachicane
08-29-06, 06:56 PM

Not at all- there's been plenty of great music since.

According to some, it appears they didn't start recording music until 1988.
:rolleyes:

grafddrx7
08-29-06, 07:43 PM
I generally hate polls like this, because it's kinda like saying blue is better than red. But here goes anyway...

Too many Hendrix and SRV to list, M. Schenker on Rock Bottom and Captain Nemo, and pretty much anything from Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush, Live.

Personally, while several solos stand out from many guitarists, I tend to rate them more from a body-of-work standpoint than a single solo.

In a kinda bass-ackwards way, my personal list of favorite solos is actually shorter than my list of favorite guitar players...

Some players pull off one great, falling-down-the-stairs-and-landing-on-his-feet, solo, and fail to make an impression on me with everything else they do.

Alot of players impress me with their ability to play what's needed for the song at certain times, while also being able to flex their chops when it's called for.

Opposite Lock
08-29-06, 07:53 PM

Not music - guitar solos. I was gonna post a couple pages from a Columbia House catalog from '77-78, cause the 70's were pretty much the Golden Age of the guitar solo, and most every band in the catalog at that time had at least one guitar solo to boast. Even Boston :gomer: - remember, it doesn't have to be good to be a classic.

They don't call it OldCamber fer nuttin'. ;)

nrc
08-29-06, 07:58 PM

Not music, just guitar solos. In 1989 the giant foam hand was invented, rendering guitar solos obsolete.

Spicoli
08-29-06, 08:30 PM
Not music, just guitar solos. In 1989 the giant foam hand was invented, rendering guitar solos obsolete.

You know what's funny Richard, is that you would probably really, really dig the Flaming Lips if you ever took the time to step out of that 1978 Chevy Vega hatchback you live in and check out the NEW world.

http://www.freewebby.com/action-smilies/bong.gif

:D

But seriously, I think ya'll are prolly rght in that the 70s was THE time for guitar solos. There's way too many, and its all a personal preference, like boobies, anyway.

My vote?

Not GnR (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSblNZtJ990)

Opposite Lock
08-29-06, 08:35 PM

jinx! :p

I thought that the invention of the Baby On Board sign triggered the demise of the guitar solo, but you're probably right that the giant foam hand really sealed the deal.

nrc
08-29-06, 09:54 PM
You know what's funny Richard, is that you would probably really, really dig the Flaming Lips if you ever took the time to step out of that 1978 Chevy Vega hatchback you live in and check out the NEW world.
Vega? Vega?! That's the meanest thing you've ever said to me. :mad:

P.S. What year did 2112 come out?

racer2c
08-29-06, 09:58 PM

I doubt anyone has heard of my favorite sheet. Musical elitist et al. :)

racer2c
08-29-06, 10:01 PM

http://www.freewebby.com/action-smilies/bong.gif

:D

But seriously, I think ya'll are prolly rght in that the 70s was THE time for guitar solos. There's way too many, and its all a personal preference, like boobies, anyway.

My vote?

Not GnR (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSblNZtJ990)

I beg to differ. 80's metal reigns supreme for ultimate guitar solos. Ride the Lightening? Peace Sells? Screaming for Vengence? Master of Puppets? Among the Living? Holy Diver? Come on! :)

racer2c
08-29-06, 10:02 PM

that is the funniest thing I've ever read.

Spicoli
08-29-06, 10:33 PM
Vega? Vega?! That's the meanest thing you've ever said to me. :mad:

P.S. What year did 2112 come out?

sorry bossman. :p

2112 cam out the same year our neigborhood received its first shipment of the Graphics Bong.

Remember the Graphics Bong? According to what little information I can find on the web, they were a Milwaukee based operation that closed up about 15 years ago. Tried googling for a couple photos, but alas, none to be found. Did find some whacked out stuff though. Stuff Richard would prolly still unnerstand. These things were state-0-the-art units. The base was a standard 12 ounce can emptied out and filled with aquarium rocks - you know the little multi-colored rockette little thangs - that kept them stable on the table. They had big fat acrylic/plexiglass "tubes" and often had several chambers, connected by other little tubes. They was all about them tubes. Then, if you were really down with the whole Graphics scene, you would ante up for the "Gatlin Bowl" that had a multi-bowl spinning around thing so you would only have to reload once a night or so. Back in the day a Graphics costs as much as a keg, but you were the king of the stoners if you had one. My neighbor Pete got all schlozzled up one night and forgot he left his in the back of his Cutlass. His dad, the Doc, woke up and found it. Pete was busted for like the rest of the summer - no car, no phone, no rush concert, nuthin.

Of course, this is all just a story my neighbor Joe told me. And it was 1978.

2112 was 1976.

the rest:

Rush (1974)
Fly By Night (1975)
Caress of Steel (1975)
2112 (1976)
All The World's A Stage (1976)
A Farewell To Kings (1977)
Archives (1977)
Hemispheres (1978)
Permanent Waves (1980)
Moving Pictures (1981)
Exit... Stage Left (1981)

then they doidn;t make anything else as far as i know. but they still tour. 2112 or hemispheres were the best.

[/blog]

nitey-nite. :)

nrc
08-29-06, 11:21 PM
2112 cam out the same year our neigborhood received its first shipment of the Graphics Bong.

Remember the Graphics Bong?
MMmmnope. But now I know more about it than I ever cared to know. :saywhat:

skaven
08-29-06, 11:26 PM
Post 1985, there weren't too many bands that relied on the guitar solo outside of Dinosaur Jr. with J Mascis. :cool:

Everything but the bass solo on "Kill 'Em All" has smokin' solos though. :thumbup:

Sean O'Gorman
08-29-06, 11:47 PM
http://thecia.com.au/reviews/t/images/tenacious-d-in-the-pick-of-destiny-2.jpg

ferrarigod
08-30-06, 01:49 AM
This is the greatest and best song in the world. :laugh:

funny, but they suck at guitar. sorry o'gorman :p

TU Homer
08-30-06, 09:59 AM
This is the greatest and best song in the world. :laugh:

If ONLY they could remember the song...they could pay proper tributes to that song.

-TU

TU Homer
08-30-06, 10:08 AM

Oooh. Flaming Lips are great.

Do You Realize
She Don't Use Jelly
Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
Race for the Prize

Not stand-out solos, per se, however these guys can not only write great songs, but are very good musicians. If Brian Wilson had continued on his path when he created Pet Sounds, he would sounds very much like Flaming Lips.

-TU

TU Homer
08-30-06, 10:39 AM
As for best guitar solos...

I tend to look toward solos that enhance the overall song. Eruption by VanHalen? Reminds why I find their music to be boring. Watching Eddie twist his guitar around may reflect talent, but not necessarily musicality. I like his songs, but find his solos to generally be antiseptic.

Songs like Smoke on the Water have great guitar riffs, but not necessarily great solos.

That said, Comfortably Numb fits the bill, as an excellent example. It is a great solo, which enhances a great song. Additional songs missing...

Hey Joe, Jimi
Sympathy for the Devil, Rolling Stones
Cortez the Killer, Gov't Mule (better than the original, though I freaking love the original)
Sunday Bloody Sunday, U2
At Least That's What You Said, Wilco
Pink Moon, Nick Drake
Presence of the Lord, Eric Clapton (actually, it's Blind Faith)
Wondering Where the Lion's Are, Bruce Cockburn

Bunch of others....

oddlycalm
08-30-06, 12:06 PM
My vote?

Not GnR (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSblNZtJ990) No doubt Alex Lifeson is a great player Spicly, but that particlular tune is 8 minutes of power chords without a solo in sight. I do think his solo on "The Big Money" is a classic though; great solo in furtherance of the tune itself.

What I don't miss (at all) is the self indulgent extended solo/wankathon that were so popular in earlier decades, particularly the type irrelevant to the tune. I always imagined that the fast forward function was created by some engineer that had been forced to listen to "Ina Goda da Vida" all the way through more than once.

oc

chop456
08-30-06, 01:17 PM
Just listened to Robert Cray's "So Many Women - So Little Time". Great clean example of talent and soul over meaningless flash.

Any hair farmer with time on their hands can learn to play scales a hundred miles an hour. Soul isn't something that's learned. A Strat straight through a Fender twin takes more talent than Playing through 10 stacks and a rack of effects.

Yngwie Malmsteen can suck it. :p

And Spicoli - it's "Grafix", you poser. :D

Spicoli
08-30-06, 07:17 PM
And Spicoli - it's "Grafix", you poser. :D

I told you, i just heard about it. Never saw it in person, only pitchers.

and how do you know anyway? :cry:

Spicoli
08-30-06, 07:19 PM
No doubt Alex Lifeson is a great player Spicly, but that particlular tune is 8 minutes of power chords without a solo in sight. ...

Yeah, I know that. I just like the tune. :p

Maybe i'll bring all my Rush live albums to RA, and we can compare notes n junk. :gomer:

Cam
08-30-06, 08:03 PM
Lifeson and his hack band suck! :flame:

emjaya
08-30-06, 09:06 PM

I've never heard a Rush song before, never want to again. :shakehead

If that's the best they've got, then they are crap. :thumdown:

Spicoli
08-30-06, 09:11 PM

http://www.freewebby.com/angry-smilies/homoswitch.gif

Cam
08-30-06, 09:33 PM
I've never heard a Rush song before, never want to again. :shakehead

If that's the best they've got, then they are crap. :thumdown:

Aussies get it! :p

datachicane
08-31-06, 12:53 AM
Two of the greatest guitar solos on the planet:

Hendrix at the Cafe a Go Go, March 17 1968, instrumental jam on 'Little Wing' w/Paul Butterfield, Elvin Bishop, Buddy Miles, Harvey Brooks, and Herbie Rich (www.bitsisbits.com/lw.mp3)

Hendrix at the LA Forum, April 26 1969, 'Spanish Castle Magic' (listen to the whole thing) (www.bitsisbits.com/scm.mp3)

ferrarigod
08-31-06, 01:07 AM

Hendrix at the Cafe a Go Go, March 17 1968, instrumental jam on 'Little Wing' w/Paul Butterfield, Elvin Bishop, Buddy Miles, Harvey Brooks, and Herbie Rich (www.bitsisbits.com/lw.mp3)

Hendrix at the LA Forum, April 26 1969, 'Spanish Castle Magic' (listen to the whole thing) (www.bitsisbits.com/scm.mp3)

:thumbsupforeternity

ferrarigod
08-31-06, 01:08 AM
Aussies get it! :p

college students understand it sucks also. :D

emjaya
08-31-06, 09:24 AM

Thank you. :)

datachicane
08-31-06, 05:55 PM
Thank you. :)

Happy to share.

That version of 'Little Wing' always makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Towards the end, when Buddy Miles starts cooking it up again, you car hear the loud squawk as Jimi plugs back in and you know it's going to be bloody loud... and he does not disappoint. It's an absolute crime against humanity that that show's never been officially released.

racer2c
08-31-06, 07:49 PM
Happy to share.

That version of 'Little Wing' always makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Towards the end, when Buddy Miles starts cooking it up again, you car hear the loud squawk as Jimi plugs back in and you know it's going to be bloody loud... and he does not disappoint. It's an absolute crime against humanity that that show's never been officially released.

Made my hair stand up too. Simply amazing. :thumbup:

It never ceases to amaze me how many legends each with their own unique sound evolved from a form of music that was basically in it's infancy. think about the music from the 50's and even the early 60's and look at the transformation at teh end of the 60's. The change in society, music, culture. Interesting period. Decades later we still listen in awe to artist after artist from that period and that music will be listened too and studied for decades to come. What from the 90's and on will be the same? I can't think of any.

meadors
08-31-06, 08:58 PM
Dusty Rhodes

"Exposure"

5 points for the true identity of Dusty Rhodes

racer2c
08-31-06, 09:03 PM
Dusty Rhodes

"Exposure"

This dude plays the guitar? :confused:

http://slam.canoe.ca/WrestlingImagesR/rhodes_dusty.jpg

meadors
08-31-06, 09:06 PM
Try again. should be 15 points off for that.

This dude plays the guitar? :confused:

http://slam.canoe.ca/WrestlingImagesR/rhodes_dusty.jpg

racer2c
08-31-06, 09:09 PM
Check this out...JP Action figure, with Marshall!

http://www.forbiddenplanet.co.uk/images/D/D1721.jpg

I want all the legends action figures, then I can make my own R&R Hall of Fame award show diarama. :gomer:

racer2c
08-31-06, 09:13 PM
http://www.forbiddenplanet.co.uk/images/SEXPISTOLS.JPG

:cool:

datachicane
08-31-06, 09:14 PM
Dusty Rhodes

"Exposure"

That's easy.
Fripp.

meadors
08-31-06, 09:31 PM
Good one.
"Here Comes the Flood" Is one of my favorites.
Robert Fripp has been in the background and partnered with so many greats, it should not be too hard, otherwise it would have been a 50 point question. :cool:
I love the Dusty Rhones psuedonym though.
King Crimson rocks

That's easy.
Fripp.

racer2c
08-31-06, 09:43 PM
Ok here's a throw back for you old timers who know which end of the tube to light...Bridge of Sighs...

Ruben Barrios
08-31-06, 10:01 PM
Spirit of the radio has a very good guitar lick, but I have to say Lifeson's best comes after Roll the Bones...

Hotel California (cliche but damn good)
Comfortably Numb
Sultans of Swing
Mr. Crowley
Victim of Changes (Judas Priest)
If you have to ask (RHCP)

extramundane
08-31-06, 10:08 PM

Does it come with an underage groupie and a mudshark?

datachicane
08-31-06, 11:22 PM
Ok here's a throw back for you old timers who know which end of the tube to light...Bridge of Sighs...

Robin Trower...

datachicane
08-31-06, 11:23 PM

http://www.forbiddenplanet.co.uk/images/D/D1721.jpg

Fingers need to be fatter.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Spicoli
09-01-06, 12:19 AM
you people http://www.ecoexpeditions.no/pakistan/images/congashbr.jpg

R-E-o_ ;dork;

KaBoom21
09-01-06, 12:38 AM
A couple of Lifeson's best: Natural Science and Limelight.

EDwardo
09-02-06, 10:48 PM
Weird animated videos but the music rocks

Wishbone Ash "Argus" Throw down the Sword
Andy Powell and Ted Turner Dual guitar solos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxmut6jJkDI&mode=related&search=

Wishbone Ash "Argus" Time Was
Andy Powell and Ted Turner Dual guitar solos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IZNSTYQRoo&mode=related&search=

Peter Green Oh Well
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YVT4GTncmM&search=peter%20green%20oh%20well

oddlycalm
09-03-06, 08:14 PM
Does it come with an underage groupie and a mudshark?
I've stayed at the Edgewater Inn several times and they did indeed have rooms that overhung Puget Sound and fishing tackle for rent in the lobby. No underage girls with a taste for the bizarre on my visits though.

oc

oddlycalm
09-03-06, 08:18 PM
Peter Green Oh Well
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YVT4GTncmM&search=peter%20green%20oh%20well Good stuff. I posted a link to this one on the Youtube thread sometime back.

A very famous Les Paul played through a Marshall stack G. :thumbup:

oc

RTKar
09-03-06, 08:49 PM
:shakehead No Blues guys???

cart7
09-03-06, 11:50 PM
MIA's

Robin Trower
Dickey Betts
Toy Caldwell
Barry Bailey
Ry Cooder
Roy Buchanan
Rory Gallagher
Nick Gilder

hmmm.....

nrc
09-03-06, 11:51 PM
:shakehead No Blues guys???
Hound Dog Taylor couldn't play **** but he sure made it sound good. ;)

I find it hard to pick out one or two specific solos and declare them "the best". I'm very partial to a lot of Luther Allison's stuff on the Live in Chicago set. "Bad Love" burns with a fire that noodlers couldn't reproduce with a tanker full of kerosene. Johnny Copeland, Robert Cray, and Albert Collins do a lot of great work on SHOWDOWN!. Magic Slim, "Crazy Woman" from Black Tornado. And I'm partial to Stevie Ray's version of Voodoo Child.

Joelski
09-04-06, 12:48 AM
SRV: Little Wing. There is no other.

RTKar
09-04-06, 10:30 AM
MIA's

Robin Trower
Dickey Betts
Toy Caldwell
Barry Bailey
Ry Cooder
Roy Buchanan
Rory Gallagher
Nick Gilder

hmmm.....

That's the spirit..

Richard Thompson

RTKar
09-04-06, 10:34 AM
MIA's

Robin Trower
Dickey Betts
Toy Caldwell
Barry Bailey
Ry Cooder
Roy Buchanan
Rory Gallagher
Nick Gilder

hmmm.....

That's the spirit...

Richard Thompson
Leo Kottke
Sonny Landreth
..what about Bluegrass guys too

music didn't begin and end with stadium rockers

Al Czervik
09-04-06, 11:24 AM
FWIW

"Jessica" by the Alman Brothers

"SRV Shuffle" from the SRV tribute. Solos by Jimmie Vaughn, BB King, Buddy Guy, Robert Cray, Eric Clapton, and Bonnie Riatt.

oddlycalm
09-04-06, 03:06 PM
..what about Bluegrass guys too

music didn't begin and end with stadium rockers Hey, I already listed Norman Blake, one of the greatest flatpickers ever, Bonnie Rait who has a very distinctive and tasty slide style, and Wes Montgomery whose thumbstyle playing of octaves was lifted by Hendrix, SRV and today by everybody and their dog.

Another great player with a unique style and some serious solos is Roger McQuinn who was originally a banjo player. I heard McGuinn and Richard Thompson play "So You Wanna Be A Rock 'N Roll Star" and "Eight Miles High" together with stand up bass at the Alladin Theater a couple years back....:D

oc

RTKar
09-04-06, 03:45 PM
Hey, I already listed Norman Blake, one of the greatest flatpickers ever, Bonnie Rait who has a very distinctive and tasty slide style, and Wes Montgomery whose thumbstyle playing of octaves was lifted by Hendrix, SRV and today by everybody and their dog.

Another great player with a unique style and some serious solos is Roger McQuinn who was originally a banjo player. I heard McGuinn and Richard Thompson play "So You Wanna Be A Rock 'N Roll Star" and "Eight Miles High" together with stand up bass at the Alladin Theater a couple years back....:D

oc

:thumbup: that woulda' been cool. I've seen Thompson a couple times w/ band & solo. Saw McQuinn solo. It's always been one of my contentions that some of the best musicians around are in bluegrass whether you like the genre or not, those guys can flat out play.

TU Homer
09-05-06, 10:14 AM
:thumbup: that woulda' been cool. I've seen Thompson a couple times w/ band & solo. Saw McQuinn solo. It's always been one of my contentions that some of the best musicians around are in bluegrass whether you like the genre or not, those guys can flat out play.

Richard Thompson is incredible. His Grizzly Man soundtrack is dead-on, as a narrative to the movie. I generally like his voice, but not nearly as much as his creative musicianship.

-TU

datachicane
09-05-06, 12:06 PM
SRV: Little Wing. There is no other.

Au Contraire. I love SRV's Little Wing, but this...