PDA

View Full Version : No Indy in 2007

skaven
08-25-06, 09:25 PM
Johnson said talks with the rival Indy Racing League are ongoing but that nothing is imminent and that Champ Car has not cleared the month of May to allow its teams to take part in the IRL's Indianapolis 500.

"We've talked to all of our team owners and asked them if they wanted us to keep May open so they could race at Indy, and they all said, 'No.' It's just too expensive to buy or rent different equipment for one race," Johnson said.

Sporting News Article (http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=120709)

That's good news as far as I'm concerned. I wanted to start a new thread for this as it is the first confirmation I've heard that CCWS isn't going to waste its resources for the benefit of TG's race.

Screw remergification. :gomer:

JLMannin
08-25-06, 09:49 PM
Sporting News Article (http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=120709)

That's good news as far as I'm concerned. I wanted to start a new thread for this as it is the first confirmation I've heard that CCWS isn't going to waste its resources for the benefit of TG's race.

I say go one step more - if a team owner succombs to indyitis, then for the rest of the post-indy Champcar circuit, they have to run crapwagons. :gomer:

racer2c
08-25-06, 10:25 PM
Why race at Indy? We won.

GOFAST1
08-26-06, 08:54 AM
Superb, now we have to make RA Memorial day race and start something good.

SteveH
08-26-06, 09:18 AM
33 is just a memory

NismoZ
08-26-06, 09:45 AM
CC in China on May 20th?

pchall
08-26-06, 09:53 AM

:thumbup: I share that sentiment.

Andrew Longman
08-26-06, 10:09 AM
'No.' It's just too expensive to buy or rent different equipment for one race," Johnson said.

OTOH for teams that already have the equipment and a good case of Indyitis, leaving the month of May open lets them squarely choose which series they really want to be in.

While I don't think CC will be hurting for teams (several look to be coming on board), tempting RP, CG, BR and others to move back would put a squeeze on TG to end his silliness.

The fact that they are openly commenting on not leaving May open shows more than anything that talks are mighty cold.

If that's the case then it is good CC is sticking to its own knitting.

The future looks bright :)

gjc2
08-26-06, 10:51 AM
While I don't think CC will be hurting for teams (several look to be coming on board), tempting RP, CG, BR and others to move back would put a squeeze on TG to end his silliness.

That is exactly the point. TG may find himself funding two-thirds of the field for the 500 next year. I can't imagine any sort of "merger" working. TG must fold the IRL and make the 500 a Champ Car race.

FanofMario
08-26-06, 10:54 AM
That is exactly the point. TG may find himself funding two-thirds of the field for the 500 next year. :shakehead

We have heard this for the past three years but yet the IRL just goes on. I do hope the Glabber Girl account does run out someday and the real series comes back.

DagoFast
08-26-06, 02:06 PM
:shakehead

We have heard this for the past three years but yet the IRL just goes on. I do hope the Glabber Girl account does run out someday and the real series comes back.

By the time that happens, there will be absolutely no one left who gives a flying F**k about indy.

Within a decade you'll here good 'ol DW or some other Nascar flunky declare it: "The Daytona 500 for Silver Crown cars."

Indy
08-26-06, 04:59 PM
Negotiating position.

nrc
08-26-06, 05:10 PM
Negotiating position.
Could be. It seems like the IRL folks are cranking up their rhetoric. They're probably perturbed that they've been unable to dissuade Champ car from moving ahead with their business plans in the absence of a merger.

Seeing that sweet looking '07 Champ car turning laps has got to hurt. :)