PDA

View Full Version : Ilmor --> MotoGP

RichK
08-24-06, 12:15 PM
Interesting!

LINK (http://www.crash.net/news_view.asp?cid=6&id=136092)

Illien, whose Ilmor engines have won two Formula 1 titles with McLaren-Mercedes and 11 Indianapolis 500 races, was comparing his operation to the Japanese factories that dominate the MotoGP grid. He has a team of 12 people working on the MotoGP project in his factory at Brixworth, Northamptonshire, where the V4 engine is being built. The company employs 60 people at the plant, and a further 52 in the USA.

eiregosod
08-25-06, 01:22 PM
saves Ilmor from sacking 12 people because there's no work to do on the f1 engines. Working on motogp engines is a better thing to do than stand in line on the dole queue. I wonder if LeMans will benefit from ex_F1 engineers coming over and using their aquired knowledge.

pchall
08-25-06, 02:26 PM
Do the Brits actually make bikes anymore? And if so, do they still leak Castrol bean oil all over the garage floor like the BSA 500cc I hauled out of an old barn years ago and made the mistake of restoring?

emjaya
08-26-06, 01:56 AM
Do the Brits actually make bikes anymore? And if so, do they still leak Castrol bean oil all over the garage floor like the BSA 500cc I hauled out of an old barn years ago and made the mistake of restoring?

The British motorcycle companies must of owned Castrol, how can you have a design fault like that in your engines and never do anything about it? :shakehead

pchall
08-26-06, 10:10 AM
The British motorcycle companies must of owned Castrol, how can you have a design fault like that in your engines and never do anything about it? :shakehead

Of course, just like the British motorcar manufacturers own Lucas Electrics and the Pressed Steel Company. :)

Threads like these make me nostalgic. I still miss the '59 Ford Anglia I bought for US $50 in 1972... :)

Duroc
08-27-06, 12:17 AM
John Bloor bought the remains of Truimph in '83 and spent five years studying Japanese production and design. They now make some well regarded bikes.

I was at the Peoria TT last weekend. The Grand Marshall was Dick Mann the 50's and 60's flat tracker. He does Brit bike restoration work and took the parade lap on a BSA followed by a number of ladies on H-D dressers. I figured they wanted to work oil into the track without catching any enviromental grief. :D

Lizzerd
08-27-06, 12:28 AM
Welcome to OC, Duroc.

emjaya
08-27-06, 03:39 AM
Threads like these make me nostalgic. I still miss the '59 Ford Anglia I bought for US $50 in 1972... :)

Lucas, the Prince of Darkness. :laugh:

I do not, in any way, miss my wife's Morris Minor. :shakehead

Although it was a lot of fun in the wet with those thin crossply tyres. :D

Bloke at work had a Triumph triple.Made a nice sound and didn't look too bad either.He seemed to like it....... until it threw him off.

oddlycalm
08-27-06, 05:26 PM
Do the Brits actually make bikes anymore? And if so, do they still leak Castrol bean oil all over the garage floor ? Like duroc said. John Bloors team bought the name and designs, then put in a modern plant with all new Toyoda machining, turning and grinding machines. The cases are now split horizontally so no more leaks. Nice styling, good quality. The Rocket III also has the distinction of having the largest displacement of an mass producion motorcyle with a 2.2 liter longitudinal 3 cylinder.
Triumph (http://www.triumph.co.uk/usa/3324.aspx)

eiregosod
08-28-06, 02:22 PM

I don't know much about bikes. Let me guess why your bike leaked bean oil.

The average British subject who builds the bikes arrives to work with a hoor of a hangover. he aint in much of a condition to care if the bike is built to highest of british standards.

The average british subject who buys these bikes is of the mindset that "British is best". When he ses bean oilspilling all over his garage, he's thinking: "well hey, British is best!"

High Sided
08-28-06, 06:52 PM
post just reminded me of the ye old "Bultaco" :)

RichK
10-13-06, 03:15 PM
Ilmor takes to the track during this weekend's MotoGP race. They are race testing their 800cc bike (against this year's 990's) in preparation for next year:

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/image/archive/illmore.jpg

Pic & following quote from superbikeplanet.com

The new Ilmor impressed everybody. Garry McCoy did 23 and 24 laps in today's session without problem and with a lap-time improvement of a third of a second. The 800s top speed was just 5kph down on the slowest 990s.The team wants to qualify and finish the race and at the moment they show every sign of being able to fulfill that ambition.

DagoFast
10-13-06, 03:51 PM
Garry McCoy can be quite a spectacular rider. I hope he does well with the bike.

Nothing would make me happier than for Ilmor to beat honda like a rented mule in MotoGP. Just like they already do in F1. :D

NismoZ
10-13-06, 04:22 PM
Dick Mann!?:thumbup: I believe I saw him win the '65 AMA road race at Meadowdale...or was it George Roeder... or Bart Markle? I think his leg was in a cast, too. A Matchless 500cc single? That sound right? Gotta get out the old album. Some of my first race pics. Gary Nixon! Triumph, I think. That was a helluva race!:)

peasant
10-14-06, 02:26 AM
The average British subject who builds the bikes arrives to work with a hoor of a hangover. he aint in much of a condition to care if the bike is built to highest of british standards.
"

Hangover? They drink in their lunchbreak over there. I kid you not.