PDA

View Full Version : Help with getting into BIOS

Tifosi24
08-22-06, 10:42 PM
My fiancee's laptop computer needs to be reformatted because of circumstances not of her control. The problem is that there was an incident involving water over a year ago that prevents the f2 key from working to get the computer to boot into the BIOS, which I need to do so that I can have the computer boot from the CD-ROM. The strange thing is that the F2 key works when Windows is on, but not while it is booting. My question is whether there is a different way to get into the BIOS or is there a way for me to change the key to get into the BIOS.

racer2c
08-22-06, 10:57 PM
Are you positive that it is the F2 key? Funtion keys for BIOS access vary. Here's a link for some different makes and their corresponding key. Also, while I don't recommend a reinstall, you can reinstall instead of reformat without booting to the CD. Might be worth a try if all else fails. I did this once years ago and it worked fine for me.

Link (http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm)

You can also try a resore point if using XP. That has worked for me in the past also.

My Sony laptop has an admin ute that has an automated restore. You might try looking for something like that. It prompts for the XP disc and then asks if you want to reformat or reinstall.

SteveH
08-22-06, 10:58 PM
Laptop keyboards are usually fairly cheap and easy to install. Check the manufacturers website for the proper model. Ebay will have them but there were way to many variations on the HP I have to take a chance. I made the change in about 10 minutes.

Tifosi24
08-22-06, 11:29 PM
I am positive that it is the F2 key because it tells me it is, and I have also tried every possible key stroke. I also tried the non-reinstall install but to no avail because the puter is seriously infected with spyware. I remember looking up keyboards and they weren't very cheap for this model.

Cam
08-23-06, 06:39 AM
Tried an external keyboard?

racer2c
08-23-06, 06:53 AM
Tried an external keyboard?
:thumbup:

Wabbit
08-23-06, 11:57 AM
Hold down a key while you are booting the machine. Sometimes, the stuck key error will let you get into BIOS by hitting a different key then usual.

Works with Gateway and HP.

pfc_m_drake
08-23-06, 03:40 PM
External keyboard FTW.

Tifosi24
08-23-06, 03:42 PM
I will have to try the exteral keyboard, because I can't remember if I tried that or not. If that doesn't work then she might own a very expensive paper weight and because of actions not of her own making.