PDA

View Full Version : Bats

TKGAngel
08-20-06, 08:34 AM
Last night we had a bat in our house. We managed to shoo it out the front door, but dont know if there are any more lurking in the house. We had a new roof put on two months ago, but they wouldn't start showing up now, would they?

Have any of you had bats in the house? Should we call an exterminator? The Health Department (who by the way told us to catch the bat under a coffee can and then it would help out) or someone else?

Thank you!

emjaya
08-20-06, 09:43 AM
Don't let it bite you. :eek:

Or maybe that's just the bats we get here in Oz. :confused:

That's all I know.Oh no wait, if they leave a message on the house, wash it off immediately because it peels the paint if you leave it for a couple of days. :mad:

:)

Al Czervik
08-20-06, 10:57 AM
Probably coming in through the chimney. Put a wire mesh over the opening, should solve the problem.

Wabbit
08-20-06, 11:18 AM
Find some garlic perfume?

Opposite Lock
08-20-06, 11:57 AM
If you just put on a new roof, did you get ridge vents installed? When we did a new roof a few years ago, we added ridge vents and every few months since then there has been a little deposit of bat droppings in one spot in the attic. Evidentally the roofer didn't include any bird screen in his installation. Most of the time the bats seemed to stay up in the attic and stay our of the lower floors, so I didn't worry about it.

Plus I just sold the house, so now it's someone elses problem. :)

Fitti Fan
08-20-06, 12:15 PM
Ick!

cameraman
08-20-06, 05:35 PM
Check the vents in the roof and the damper on the chimney. Get them closed up before you have many bats in your attic which becomes a stinky problem quite quickly.

Are there screens on all the windows? Could be one just took a wrong turn.

Turbodog
08-20-06, 06:11 PM
Last night we had a bat in our house. We managed to shoo it out the front door, but dont know if there are any more lurking in the house. We had a new roof put on two months ago, but they wouldn't start showing up now, would they?

Have any of you had bats in the house? Should we call an exterminator? The Health Department (who by the way told us to catch the bat under a coffee can and then it would help out) or someone else?

Thank you!

get a Rabies shot

Lizzerd
08-20-06, 08:05 PM
Several years ago, I and my girlfriend were asleep in the middle of the night. Her apartment was the top floor of an old house and the rooms had high cielings. She woke me up and said there was a bird in the room. I didn't hear anything or see anything (it was pitch black), so I said "BS, go to sleep. You're dreaming." She insisted there was, because she felt it fly by her face. So I got out of bed and turned on the light. Sure enough, there was a bat making laps around the room. I told her to get under the covers and I went across the hall into the kitchen and turned the light in there on too. I could see into the bedroom from there, and when the bat flew out, I went back in the bedroom and shut the door. The next morning, we searched the entire place for holes, nooks and crannys, everything. No bat. No fireplace, either. And the bat never came back.

So, I guess my advise would be to turn on all the lights and shut the door. Problem solved (?).

TKGAngel
08-21-06, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the advice. Its better than some that the fam has offered, which included "get a hockey stick."

We did find one window that had a hole in the screen, so we're keeping that window shut until we can get the screen repaired. We've been keeping the doors to the attic and basement shut, and no bat returned last night.

chop456
08-21-06, 11:10 AM
Tennis rackets work better than hockey sticks. Bigger contact patch. :D

TKGAngel
08-21-06, 12:34 PM

Good point.

My uncle that offered the suggestion said that my father should make like Jim Lorentz of the Sabres...

Lorentz used his stick to slay a bat, of all things, that was annoying players and fans during games at the Memorial Auditorium. Nobody was sure whether the bat had found its way into the arena or was brought into the building by a mischievous fan.

"It was dive-bombing the crowd, and a couple of times it came near the ice and I remember (Flyers goalie Bernie) Parent taking a couple of swings at it with his goal stick and missing," Lorentz said.

Fans continually reacted to the bat when it swooped down toward them, and it was a clear distraction. When Lorentz was standing still getting ready for a face-off and spotted it zooming toward him, he reached up and killed it with a slash of his stick. The crowd and the players were happy until they realized they had another problem.

"No one wanted to pick it up," said Lorentz, who instantly was dubbed as Batman. "Finally, (Philadelphia's) Rick MacLeish picked it up and buried it in the penalty box."

Not everyone was pleased by Jim's actions though. He actually received several letters from animal rights activists.

dando
08-21-06, 12:37 PM
It may have been frightened into seeking shelter. I understand there was a tiger sighting in Buffalo last Fri. ;)

Who Dey! :)

-Kevin

TKGAngel
08-22-06, 08:13 AM
It may have been frightened into seeking shelter. I understand there was a tiger sighting in Buffalo last Fri. ;)

Who Dey! :)

-Kevin

I know. I didn't get to see the game, but judging from what I read in the newspaper, it seems that for every brilliant play Losman had, he screwed the pooch horribly on another one.

Oh well, hockey pre-season starts in a month anyway.

JLMannin
08-22-06, 09:33 PM

The bats sonar does not bounce off the tennis racket, so they have a harder time sensing that it is there. Get them to fly into the tennis racket - if you have a ceoling fan in the room, turn it on low, as the bats will fly unter one of the blade tips (kind of like hypnosis). Then, stick the racket into the bats path. It will stun the bat and it will fall to the floor - cover it with a coffee can.

racermike
08-24-06, 12:12 AM
Check the vents in the roof and the damper on the chimney. Get them closed up before you have many bats in your attic which becomes a stinky problem quite quickly.

Are there screens on all the windows? Could be one just took a wrong turn.

[ace ventura] ewwwwwww, guano! [/ace ventura]