PDA

View Full Version : ToyotaF1 to do demo run @ Laguna Seca

jonovision_man
08-17-06, 04:01 PM
I'd love to see this... actually I'd love to see an F1 race there. :)

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=37042

Anyone know if this is part of a race weekend, or is it a stand-alone event?

jono

theunions
08-17-06, 04:12 PM
Anyone know if this is part of a race weekend, or is it a stand-alone event?

It's in conjunction with the Monterey Historics.

RichK
08-17-06, 04:25 PM
A friend of mine watched them unload it from its shipping container last week. I normally don't attend the Historics, but this may get my lazy but down there!

Lizzerd
08-17-06, 05:36 PM
A friend of mine watched them unload it from its shipping container last week. I normally don't attend the Historics, but this may get my lazy but down there!

I would highly recommend it if only to see the Toyota, especially if you haven't seen and heard an F1 car up close and personal. It is a scream you'll never forget.

RichK
08-17-06, 06:28 PM
I would highly recommend it if only to see the Toyota, especially if you haven't seen and heard an F1 car up close and personal. It is a scream you'll never forget.

The last F1 cars I heard were at Long Beach in 1981! I think the revs are a little higher nowadays....

jonovision_man
08-18-06, 09:45 AM
It's in conjunction with the Monterey Historics.

Hey now, just because the Toyota is slow, doesn't make it historic just yet! :D

If I were in the area I'd go for sure... we don't get enough chances on this continent to see F1.

jono

NismoZ
08-18-06, 11:26 PM
"It's a Newwww track record!" Zonta beats Helio's '00 CART lap time after just 2 flying laps. Slow is relative.

jonovision_man
08-19-06, 04:36 PM
"It's a Newwww track record!" Zonta beats Helio's '00 CART lap time after just 2 flying laps. Slow is relative.

Really? That's awesome.

This is what Zonta said on some blog on Autosport:

As far as the track record goes (which I'm told is 1:07.722, set by Helio Castroneves in CART back in 2000), it's not something I'm concerned about.

In F1, we're running V8 engines this year, which have about 20 percent less power than the V10s that were used until last season.

jono

ferrarigod
08-19-06, 07:14 PM
It has been well established, that even at CART's fastest car period on a road course they were still slower than F1 cars from almost 10 years before.

However, F1 cars can't do 260-265 on the back straight in Cali, so everyone has their own advantages.

RichK
08-22-06, 03:37 PM
Video of the record run:

LINK (http://www.toyota.com/montereyhistoric/videos.html)

Let me just say that his braking points are IN-SANE for that track at that speed. Awesome.

jonovision_man
08-22-06, 04:46 PM
What was the eventual record? I assume it went quite a bit lower still...

Edit: n/m... 1m06.309 is what it says on the video... I thought they could go faster than that.

How much does that video make you want to see an F1 race at Laguna... drool... :)

jono

ferrarigod
08-22-06, 07:55 PM
How much does that video make you want to see an F1 race at Laguna... drool... :)

jono

I wish I would see a Champ Car race at Laguna again.

Very awesome video, thanks :thumbup:

the difference between braking points for the first corner compared to a Champ Car is crazy. Watch the outside view, video 2, I caught myself saying, brake, brake BRAKE!!! awesome

NismoZ
08-22-06, 07:58 PM
Yeah, think about it. They break a 6 yr. old record in a car that is, what...10x, or more, expensive? I guess I'm not as impressed as some.

Cam
08-22-06, 09:36 PM
Yeah, think about it. They break a 6 yr. old record in a car that is, what...10x, or more, expensive? I guess I'm not as impressed as some.

Test driver under no pressure whatsoever in a mid-pack car. Imagine if it where a certified track and on the circuit. I imagine that lap time would be at least 4 seconds less!

cameraman
08-23-06, 12:46 AM
After spending several hundred and some odd million dollars in development it damn well better be quite a few seconds faster

jonovision_man
08-23-06, 08:42 AM
After spending several hundred and some odd million dollars in development it damn well better be quite a few seconds faster

Let's not forget that the FIA trips over themselves to slow these cars down... they offset the millions trying to speed them up with V8 NA engines that have to last 2 race weekends to slow them down.

jono

nissan gtp
08-23-06, 08:57 AM
cool video :thumbup:

Tifosi24
08-23-06, 10:27 AM
Test driver under no pressure whatsoever in a mid-pack car. Imagine if it where a certified track and on the circuit. I imagine that lap time would be at least 4 seconds less!

That is what is so impressive about it, because you can tell Zonta isn't trying at all. The only time he hit any kerbs were at the Corkscrew and the final corner, he could have easily cut more time out of his lap by using more of the track in all of the corners.

NismoZ
08-23-06, 02:41 PM
Wonderful. Mid-packer car, test driver, a new "record" for few million $$ per second. More impressed with the sight and sound than a feeble attempt to create a comparison buzz. As noted, it sure as hell BETTER be faster!