PDA

View Full Version : What penalty for SeaBass crossing a hot track?

Shamus
08-16-06, 08:48 PM
Ok, so SeaBass crosses a hot track (forcing Power to slow down as he went by) to go pick a fight with Tracy. He shoves Tracy and then to avoid getting his a$$ handed to him, waltzes back onto a hot track where the officials finally reign him in.

I think a penalty of SOME SORT is in order.

The pushing bothers me only because I think the little turd was inciting a fight, but I can't know that for sure so I would let it slide as emotions over brains. But...the marshalls shouldn't ever have to go onto a hot track to get your sorry butt, nor should your fellow competitors have to check up to avoid you as they race to the checkered flag.

I'd say $10k fine for making a track marshall's butt pucker and a threat that if it happens again this season points will be extracted.

What say you?

tifosi77
08-16-06, 08:56 PM
Yeah, I think something like this is definitely a fine rather than points or something like that. Especially for a first offense.

Dr. Corkski
08-16-06, 09:09 PM
If fairness is really an issue, then he should get the same exact penalty that Tracy got last year for shoving a safety team member for the sole purpose of crossing a hot track.

OTOH, even though I can't prove this, but he and N/H should get an extra penalty for being the masterminds behind the holocaust. [/,,,]

Spicoli
08-16-06, 09:13 PM
I think he should have to dress like a clown all weekend at RA.

extramundane
08-16-06, 09:35 PM
A fair and equitable solution: PT & Bourdais both have to drive for Rocketsports at Montreal.

After that, a suspension won't seem so bad.

rabbit
08-16-06, 09:41 PM
A fair and equitable solution: PT & Bourdais both have to drive for Rocketsports at Montreal.

:rofl: Best. Idea. Ever. :D

Shamus
08-16-06, 09:41 PM
OTOH, even though I can't prove this, but he and N/H should get an extra penalty for being the masterminds behind the holocaust. [/,,,] :saywhat:

Shamus
08-16-06, 09:43 PM

They can't spare the tubs can they? :D

Tony George
08-17-06, 12:25 AM
If fairness is really an issue, then he should get the same exact penalty that Tracy got last year for shoving a safety team member for the sole purpose of crossing a hot track.

OTOH, even though I can't prove this, but he and N/H should get an extra penalty for being the masterminds behind the holocaust. [/,,,]

:eek: :rofl: :D

greenie
08-17-06, 02:20 AM
Corkski - Classic! :cool:

It's funnE how a blantant chop on the track by a hothead has been hijacked into an agenda. :gomer:

Pathetic lemming spew on the Champ Car side. Sad because we used to have the high road - and could actually formulate sentences and paragraphs w/o bizzarre ,,,punctuation,,,,.

People who think self rightiously that they are connected w/the "series" - what little is left of it - and bag on Paul Newman's team should be heaped w/a heavy dose of reality IMO. :thumdown:

TKGAngel
08-17-06, 08:20 AM
I'm still stuck on the fact that internet fans have hard cards to a racing series. :saywhat:

Seb probably should have been penalized for crossing the hot track. Didn't he have to swerve at one point to avoid being run-over by someone on the way over to PT?

I suppose the real question is what happens at Montreal. Will the trend of off-track pushing/shoving continue?

FanofMario
08-17-06, 08:34 AM
Corkski - Classic! :cool:

It's funnE how a blantant chop on the track by a hothead has been hijacked into an agenda. :gomer:

Pathetic lemming spew on the Champ Car side. Sad because we used to have the high road - and could actually formulate sentences and paragraphs w/o bizzarre ,,,punctuation,,,,.

People who think self rightiously that they are connected w/the "series" - what little is left of it - and bag on Paul Newman's team should be heaped w/a heavy dose of reality IMO. :thumdown:

Gee, I wonder who this is? There appears to be heaping doses of reality the last time I checked.

Ankf00
08-17-06, 09:27 AM
Honestly, he should be reprimanded in some form regardless of past precedent. And FaFu should've received the same last year, but didn't.

Insomniac
08-17-06, 12:43 PM
There should be an undisclosed fine for the shoving. And if PT was fined for fighting back last week with Tags, then he should get an undisclosed fine for shoving Bourdais as well. They should be consistent about drivers engaging in physial contact.

Ankf00
08-17-06, 01:45 PM
They should be consistent about drivers engaging in physial contact.
That's their biggest shortcoming, imo. They have 0 consistency. Tag & Bourdais both did dumb things in their own right and deserve what's coming to them. The drivers need to be punished for consistent episodes of brainfade. But there's absolutely 0 consistency w/ the punishments. It's more NASCAR style justice than anything.

Next thing I know an illegally underweight car will win the next race and will get to keep the win w/ -10 points :gomer:

cameraman
08-17-06, 02:43 PM
There has been way too much wandering about hot tracks lately. What the hell was Clarke doing walking back and forth and around his car a couple weeks ago? This last race Bourdais is running around like a fool with Tracy following him. WTF is going on? They have safety rules, they need to start enforcing them before somebody gets killed.

Insomniac
08-17-06, 02:51 PM
That's their biggest shortcoming, imo. They have 0 consistency. Tag & Bourdais both did dumb things in their own right and deserve what's coming to them. The drivers need to be punished for consistent episodes of brainfade. But there's absolutely 0 consistency w/ the punishments. It's more NASCAR style justice than anything.

Next thing I know an illegally underweight car will win the next race and will get to keep the win w/ -10 points :gomer:

They haven't seemed to inconsistent, but I don't think there was much really to rule on. But I guess that's when it counts the most.

Insomniac
08-17-06, 02:52 PM
There has been way too much wandering about hot tracks lately. What the hell was Clarke doing walking back and forth and around his car a couple weeks ago? This last race Bourdais is running around like a fool with Tracy following him. WTF is going on? They have safety rules, they need to start enforcing them before somebody gets killed.

The Clarke thing was a mystery. There was no yellow flag and he was holding on to the fence in between both sides of a hairpin. He had nowhere to go!

cameraman
08-17-06, 02:53 PM
Then stay in the car until somebody tells you otherwise.

Shamus
08-17-06, 09:59 PM
Honestly, he should be reprimanded in some form regardless of past precedent. And FaFu should've received the same last year, but didn't.

I agree, I'm not a big fan over continuing to do the wrong things for just for consitency's sake.

Shamus
08-17-06, 10:10 PM

Sort of off topic (not that some of the above verbal spasms aren't already) But I can see why they might not want to just assign a sliding scale of penalties and dish them out. I know that's not necessarily what you're saying either, but if they did make it clearer in advance, then it becomes sort of like telling your kid in advance what a given punishment is for a given behavior. If they know the cost/benefit, they can weigh it out and determine that it's worth the cost of the behavior. However, if they don't have this info set in stone, they let their little minds race with visions of whatever they value most, being taken from them.

If you tell a driver that the penalty for 'X' is a $10k slap on the wrist, they might consider it worth it, but if they don't know what the penalty is, and don't want to risk something they do care about, (points, follicle enhancers if your Nelson, etc...) then they may err on the side of caution.

Not saying this reasoning is totally sound, but the penalties don't always have to be 'equivalent' to be 'appropriate'.