PDA

View Full Version : arrest in JonBenet Ramsey murder?

G.
08-16-06, 04:58 PM
They arrested someone in Thailand.

Is Gary Glitter back there?

racer2c
08-16-06, 05:02 PM
I just saw that also. I found a Cal news site from Google News that says;

"The man has confessed to certain elements of the crime that are unknown to the general public. " He's being held in Tailand for unrelated sex crimes.

Link (http://www.news10.net/storyfull2.aspx?storyid=19389)

Certain elements? Hmm, is he going to rat the mom out to save his sorry $#@?

Terrible story.

SteveH
08-16-06, 05:30 PM
from www.cbsnews.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arrest In JonBenet Murder

DENVER, Aug. 16, 2006
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(CBS/AP) A man arrested in Thailand is being held in connection with the slaying of JonBenet Ramsey, U.S. law enforcement officials said Wednesday.

Federal officials familiar with the case, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the man was being held in Bangkok on unrelated sex charges.

Sources tell CBS News that the suspect, a 41-year-old American and second-grade schoolteacher, will be brought back to the United States this weekend.

The 6-year-old child beauty pageant contestant was found beaten and strangled in the basement of the family's home in Boulder, Colorado, on Dec. 26, 1996.

Law enforcement officials from Boulder were flying to Bangkok to present Thai authorities with documents in the slaying, officials in Washington said. They asked to remain anonymous pending an announcement in Colorado.

The girl's parents, Patsy and John Ramsey, had been under an "umbrella of suspicion" in JonBenet's death. The Ramseys said an intruder killed their daughter. A grand jury investigation in Boulder ended with no indictments, and no arrests had been made in the case.

Patsy Ramsey died in July.

In 2003, U.S. District Judge Julie Carnes in Atlanta concluded that the evidence she reviewed suggested an intruder killed JonBenet. That opinion came with the judge's decision to dismiss a libel and slander lawsuit against the Ramseys by a freelance journalist, who the Ramseys had named as a suspect in their daughter's murder. The Boulder district attorney at the time said she agreed with Carnes' declaration.

Patsy Ramsey made the 911 call on December 26, 1996, telling police that her daughter was missing. "There's a note left and our daughter's gone," she said breathlessly.

Ramsey said she found a ransom note on the back staircase of the family's home demanding $118,000 for the safe return of JonBenet.

Boulder police responded immediately to Ramsey's call for help, and what first looked like a kidnapping quickly became a murder investigation, when JonBenet's body was found by her father in a small storage room in the basement of her house.

An autopsy concluded JonBenet suffered a skull fracture, and was strangled and beaten.

Because of the bizarre ransom note, and the fact that JonBenet was killed in her own home, detectives focused on her parents, John and Patsy, as their prime suspects.

Boulder police brushed aside many of the leads that came in, and dismissed the possibility that an intruder had somehow slipped inside the house and committed the murder.

The police chief said the parents were "under an umbrella of suspicion," but a grand jury did not indict the couple for murder.

Throughout lengthy and sometimes hostile police interrogations, both in 1998 and 2000, the Ramseys maintained their innocence. A 2005 48 Hours report found that DNA evidence ruled out the parents as suspects and investigators were no longer focusing on the Ramsey family.

The couple wrote a book, "The Death of Innocence," which was published in 2000.

©MMVI, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Feedback Terms of Service Privacy Statement

racer2c
08-16-06, 05:42 PM
I didn't hear that Patsy Ramsey died this year. She had ovarian cancer. She was 49.

dando
08-16-06, 06:36 PM
I didn't hear that Patsy Ramsey died this year. She had ovarian cancer. She was 49.
Yup. How sad, and then this. The torment she must have talen to her grave. :(

-Kevin

tifosi77
08-16-06, 08:55 PM
Verrrrry interesting......

There's a guy called John Douglas. He was one of the original FBI 'profilers', along with Robert Ressler, and helped write the book(s) (literally) on psychological crime scene analysis and profiling. He was hired by the Ramsey's as a consultant and he maintained all along that they were innocent. The behavioral evidence simply did not match up to the personalities of the Ramseys.

I will have to re-read "The Cases That Haunt Us" (Douglas's book on some of the most famous unsolved murder mysteries of the last 100 years or so) cos he has a chapter on this case. If I'm not mistaken, his profile was nowhere near a guy in his early 30s (the age the suspect would've been ten years ago) with the capability of holding a job with the responsibilities of a school teacher, but I shall check up.

Curioser!

racer2c
08-16-06, 09:21 PM
Verrrrry interesting......

There's a guy called John Douglas. He was one of the original FBI 'profilers', along with Robert Ressler, and helped write the book(s) (literally) on psychological crime scene analysis and profiling. He was hired by the Ramsey's as a consultant and he maintained all along that they were innocent. The behavioral evidence simply did not match up to the personalities of the Ramseys.

I will have to re-read "The Cases That Haunt Us" (Douglas's book on some of the most famous unsolved murder mysteries of the last 100 years or so) cos he has a chapter on this case. If I'm not mistaken, his profile was nowhere near a guy in his early 30s (the age the suspect would've been ten years ago) with the capability of holding a job with the responsibilities of a school teacher, but I shall check up.

Curioser!

I don't know if we'll ever know all the in's and out's of this case. Do you know if the first two detectives who arrived at the home and were later reassigned ever wrote books? Their whole case hinged on the parents and then shifted to the 9 year old son with the parents covering it up.

I remember my wife being livid in that Patsy was on TV two days after the murder without a single tear being shed while talking about the murder. Everyone grieves differently but Patsy wasn't helping herself in the public eye.

I also remember that there was a multi-page letter that was found in the house by the supposed killer in which multiple hand writing analysts were convinced it was Patsy's.

G.
08-16-06, 11:46 PM
Yup. How sad, and then this. The torment she must have talen to her grave. :(

-KevinShe knew months before her death that they had a suspect in Thailand.

This guy has been worked for quite some time.

She passed knowing that the authorities were very close.

I am one of the millions that just KNEW that the Ramsey's were guilty. :shakehead

Indy
08-17-06, 01:06 AM
That whole toddler beauty queen thing was so creepy, that it was hard not to think the worst. Of course, it is not over yet -- we could again be jumping to conclusions.

But, a second grade teacher? My son starts school tomorrow. This is the kind of stuff that keeps you awake at night. :flame:

chop456
08-17-06, 02:19 AM
That whole toddler beauty queen thing was so creepy, that it was hard not to think the worst. Of course, it is not over yet -- we could again be jumping to conclusions.

But, a second grade teacher? My son starts school tomorrow. This is the kind of stuff that keeps you awake at night. :flame:

Ditto on both counts. The whole male elementary school teacher thing creeps me out. What man wants to deal with little kids all day? It's just not natural. Even when they're yours. :D

KLang
08-17-06, 09:27 AM
That whole toddler beauty queen thing was so creepy, that it was hard not to think the worst.

Yep, I thought that was pretty disgusting. A large part, I suppose, of why I figured the Ramsey's were involved.

Hearing some speculation on the news this morning that the guy might be confessing to something he didn't actually do.

Spicoli
08-17-06, 09:31 AM
How long will this **** last in jail. won;t even get to trial.

http://i7.tinypic.com/24v8x3b.jpg

racer2c
08-17-06, 11:17 AM
How long will this **** last in jail. won;t even get to trial.

He is the epitome of a pencil neck geek. His neck is the size of my wrist. I watched some of the media try to put some clues together this morning and it will be interesting how the story unfolds. Evidently he never lived in CO but does have a warrant in CA for sex offenses. He did live in the same Atlanta suburb as the Ramsey's but they say at different times. Could that be the connection? Did he learn of JB then and start stalking? His wife (ex wife I believe) says she's baffled in that he was with her at Christmas in '96 in a different state!

Weird.

FTG
08-17-06, 11:22 AM
I will have to re-read "The Cases That Haunt Us" (Douglas's book on some of the most famous unsolved murder mysteries of the last 100 years or so) cos he has a chapter on this case. If I'm not mistaken, his profile was nowhere near a guy in his early 30s

I've read a couple Douglas books. I'm looking forward to your report.

Fitti Fan
08-17-06, 11:23 AM
Hearing some speculation on the news this morning that the guy might be confessing to something he didn't actually do.

That's what it's sounding like to me.

KLang
08-17-06, 11:24 AM
Could be using his 'confession' to get out of being sent to jail in Thailand?

FTG
08-17-06, 11:25 AM
His wife (ex wife I believe) says she's baffled in that he was with her at Christmas in '96 in a different state!

False confessions happen. Just speculating, but if he really was in another state, maybe he just didn't want to serve his sentence in Thailand; I'm sure the Colorado prisons are nicer. Apparently, however, they do have some DNA. So we should know for sure one way or the other.

Spicoli
08-17-06, 11:33 AM
:murder mystery:

Court TV's ratings will go up.

I think he did it, but he was not the only one involved.

check all the vids on Cnn.com interesting 15 minute vid with officials giving out some interesting info.

Spicoli
08-17-06, 11:59 AM
Evidently he confessed to Mrs. Ramsey via email or letters or somehow before he died. Sounds like he was on the run for a while.

this is creepy.

Wheel-Nut
08-17-06, 12:07 PM
http://images.chron.com/photos/2006/08/17/3195146/image-custom.jpg
Talk about creepy!

Spicoli
08-17-06, 12:08 PM
live news conference ready right now on msnbc.com - from Boulder.

chop456
08-17-06, 12:19 PM
http://images.chron.com/photos/2006/08/17/3195146/image-custom.jpg
Talk about creepy!

I love Red Skelton!

KLang
08-17-06, 12:22 PM
live news conference ready right now on msnbc.com - from Boulder.

On CNN Pipeline as well. Pretty worthless: 'Can't comment'

Ankf00
08-17-06, 12:24 PM
Cable news will be the downfall of civilization.

KLang
08-17-06, 12:25 PM
Cable news will be the downfall of civilization.

What do you mean 'will be'? :laugh:

G.
08-17-06, 12:36 PM
Confused. Didn't the murder happen in CO? What the hell does GA have to do with it? :confused:

Has he ever been to CO?

Dr. Corkski
08-17-06, 12:48 PM
The Ramseys were originally from Georgia.

Apparently the dude's brother doesn't even think he has been to Colorado.

racer2c
08-17-06, 12:59 PM
Even if he didn't do it, I still want to beat his #$%.

Insomniac
08-17-06, 01:01 PM
As if this case couldn't get weirder. No one has even shown any type of link between this guy and Colorado, or the Ramsey's.

racer2c
08-17-06, 01:06 PM
As if this case couldn't get weirder. No one has even shown any type of link between this guy and Colorado, or the Ramsey's.

And is his confession "I killed Jonbenet"? All I've heard him say is "I was there when she died. It was an accident".

Evidently the authorities have known about this guy for awhile. There was a tip from a freind of his who had correspondence over the years regarding the murder. Then he wrote Patsey letters over the years.

KLang
08-17-06, 01:10 PM
Then he wrote Patsey letters over the years.

Isn't it Karr saying that? Is there any confirmation that he actually did?

TU Homer
08-17-06, 01:11 PM
And is his confession "I killed Jonbenet"? All I've heard him say is "I was there when she died. It was an accident".

Evidently the authorities have known about this guy for awhile. There was a tip from a freind of his who had correspondence over the years regarding the murder. Then he wrote Patsey letters over the years.

He accidently broke her skull and strangled her to death?

I suspect the conspiracy about a fake confession isn't true, simply because the authorities have been covering the creep for months now, and I also suspect the authorities would have run through all the scenarios about geography of the creep in relation to JBR. Just tell me the BPD isn't involved and I'll feel much better about this extradition.

-TU

oddlycalm
08-17-06, 01:12 PM
Of course, it is not over yet -- we could again be jumping to conclusions. Right, but that puts us dead even with the cops on this one.

oc

RichK
08-17-06, 01:28 PM
from kron.com (http://www.kron.com/Global/story.asp?S=5293693) :

Wood said those e-mails were key in linking Karr to the slaying.
When asked if authorities could tell whether Karr had firsthand
knowledge of the murder or had just picked up information from news
accounts, Wood said; "There is information about the murder that
has never been publicly disclosed."

G.
08-17-06, 01:29 PM
Until there's more info let out, my BS meter is pegged at stinky.

racermike
08-17-06, 01:41 PM
I love Red Skelton!

He looks a lot like Billy Zane from "dead calm"

http://www.thecinemalaser.com/dvd_reviews/images/dead-calm-dvd-image-03.jpg

or Robert Patrick from "terminator 2"

http://www.uni-bielefeld.de/paedagogik/Seminare/moeller02/kino_scifi/T1000-3.jpg

chop456
08-17-06, 01:41 PM
I meant the other guy. :D

RHR_Fan
08-17-06, 01:55 PM
That guy just looks creepy. What he did is also creepy. *Shudders*

WickerBill
08-17-06, 03:49 PM
I love Red Skelton!

That is the funniest thing you have ever written.

Warlock!
08-17-06, 04:28 PM
Dude in the blue shirt looks like French Stewart...

http://features.yahoo.com/webceleb/3rd_rock/french.jpg

racer2c
08-17-06, 09:56 PM
"BOULDER, Colorado -- As I race all over this quiet and beautiful town at the foot of the rockies, following the latest developments in the JonBenet Ramsey case, I keep thinking about troubling questions.

They are questions that arose 10 years ago, when I first started covering this story, and they remain unanswered today. If John Mark Karr actually gave a confession, and if it is true, and if he is to be charged, authorities will want some answers to these questions.

Simply put: How did an intruder get into the Ramsey house? Police said at the outset there was no sign of forced entry, no footprints in the snow. Those assertions have since been challenged, and apparently a window was left unlocked, but the details still matter.

How did the killer navigate through this huge, labyrinth of a house in the dark to find his victim, brutally kill her, and hide the body without waking anyone?

Why did the killer leave a ransom note for a murder? And how did he know private details of John Ramsey's past and his finances?

The questions go on and on.

I'm sitting in a scorching satellite truck writing my story for tonight's "360" and suffering from deja vu. Once again, 10 years later, the story of this girl's terrible death is bringing more questions than answers." By Tom Foreman, CNN Correspondent

Link (http://)

nrc
08-18-06, 12:03 AM
I'm sitting in a scorching satellite truck writing my story for tonight's "360" and suffering from deja vu. Once again, 10 years later, the story of this girl's terrible death is bringing more questions than answers." By Tom Foreman, CNN Correspondent

Link (http://)
Bad link.

So does the article offer any answers? I'm tired of reading stories that only have questions.

chop456
08-18-06, 08:56 AM
http://i7.tinypic.com/24v8x3b.jpg

http://www.pca.state.mn.us/artwork/mnenvironment/winter2003/pauldouglas.jpg
Chicago/Minneapolis weatherman, Paul Douglas

KLang
08-18-06, 09:14 AM
Bad link.

So does the article offer any answers? I'm tired of reading stories that only have questions.

He said much the same on-air last night and no, nobody has any answers. It's looking more like Karr won't be providing any either.

I think in the end the officials in Boulder are going to look like complete idiots. Karr's ex says he was in Alabama when the murder happened. As of last night no one in Boulder had bothered to try to contact her. :shakehead

TU Homer
08-18-06, 10:17 AM
Anyone catch Primetime last night? See the psychic drawing from several years ago? Talk about creepy...

-TU

racer2c
08-18-06, 10:19 AM
Anyone catch Primetime last night? See the psychic drawing from several years ago? Talk about creepy...

-TU

That is pretty amazing.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/2006/0817/9694215_240X180.jpg

Insomniac
08-18-06, 10:27 AM
I'm thinking either this guy did it and he's doing a great job of being able to set up reasonable doubt or he's insane and thinks he actually did do it.

racer2c
08-18-06, 10:29 AM
I'm thinking either this guy did it and he's doing a great job of being able to set up reasonable doubt or he's insane and thinks he actually did do it.

Me too.

G.
08-18-06, 11:38 AM
For a case that has been apparently worked on for months, something's wrong. Real wrong. Either the press has been getting fed lines of utter crap, or this guy is just your average nutcase. If he's just a nutcase, there's going to be black eyes for many.

Given the "evidence" thus far, there's NFW this guy did it. Picked her up from school? On Dec 26th?

Choices:
1). He did it and the press is being fed crap.
2). Loony toon, possible pedo, needs a long, peaceful rest.
3). [tinfoil affixed] A big honkin' diversion/smokescreen/Red Herring/Red Skelton, etc., to keep the press away from some other truth. Think Glomar.

[I'll just keep the hat on, it's warm]

BS meter pegged so hard the needle's bent.

chop456
08-18-06, 12:00 PM

Analog, huh?

Old school. :thumbup:

racer2c
08-18-06, 12:04 PM
For a case that has been apparently worked on for months, something's wrong. Real wrong. Either the press has been getting fed lines of utter crap, or this guy is just your average nutcase. If he's just a nutcase, there's going to be black eyes for many.

Given the "evidence" thus far, there's NFW this guy did it. Picked her up from school? On Dec 26th?

Choices:
1). He did it and the press is being fed crap.
2). Loony toon, possible pedo, needs a long, peaceful rest.
3). [tinfoil affixed] A big honkin' diversion/smokescreen/Red Herring/Red Skelton, etc., to keep the press away from some other truth. Think Glomar.

[I'll just keep the hat on, it's warm]

The Thai police have backed off the 'picked her up from school' and the 'druggin' confessions. They say he didn't say that now. :shakehead

""It's clear to me that he's somewhat interested or maybe even obsessed by the case and the real question is whether he's inserting himself into it for some obscure psychological reason," said author Carlton Smith, who wrote 1997's "Death of a Little Princess: The Tragic Story of the Murder of JonBenet Ramsey.""

Link (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,209163,00.html)

KLang
08-18-06, 12:20 PM
'CNN breaking news: A U.S. law enforcement official tells CNN that the man held in the slaying of JonBenet Ramsey offered details about the condition of her body that have never been made public. '

As much has been written about this case over the years I'm skeptical any info was never made public. There is still the problem of being in a different state.

racer2c
08-18-06, 12:29 PM
'CNN breaking news: A U.S. law enforcement official tells CNN that the man held in the slaying of JonBenet Ramsey offered details about the condition of her body that have never been made public. '

As much has been written about this case over the years I'm skeptical any info was never made public. There is still the problem of being in a different state.

Right. Especially if this creep is so obsessed with the case to want to write a book about it and have correspondence with a professor that did.

Like nrc said, we want answers. The problem is that the media, in it's typical fashion, wants to investigate, try and convict the guy on TV. It's going to be awhile before we know what the DA knows.

SAdair
08-18-06, 12:42 PM
The Thai police haven't helped. I think the Thai policeman just wanted to get his face on tv and that is why he said the things he said about the drugging and picking her up at school.

Honestly, I think the only way we will know anything for cetain is if this goes to trial. But I have to admit the guy is making a pretty good case for insanity. :rolleyes:

G.
08-18-06, 01:30 PM
Analog, huh?

Old school. :thumbup:So ****ing Old School that it's ****ing digital!

http://www.legalpresents.com/products/41-002b.jpg

Gotta sets it with ya digits, yo.

Indy
08-18-06, 09:19 PM
What's wrong with his neck?

SteveH
08-18-06, 11:25 PM
The dude's first wife was 13, his second was 16. :eek:

racer2c
08-18-06, 11:36 PM
BOULDER, Colorado (CNN) -- Authorities are examining John Mark Karr's writings, including a 1982 high-school yearbook inscription he made for a friend, for clues that might link him to the death of JonBenet Ramsey 10 years ago...

...The yearbook entry ends with Karr saying in capital block letters, "Though, deep in the future, maybe I shall be the conquerer [sic] and live in multiple peace." (Watch details emerge of Karr's background -- 3:30)

The ransom note found in the Ramsey home had demanded money for JonBenet's return and had ended with the word "Victory!" and was signed "S.B.T.C." Authorities want to know whether those letters might stand for "shall be the conquerer" and whether they could have been written by the same person.

John Hargett, who once ran the documents section of the U.S. Secret Service, told CNN the letters represent "a very interesting coincidence." But he said he saw "no similarity" between the handwriting used in the ransom note and that in the yearbook.

Link (http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/08/18/karr.questions/index.html)

Somewhat interesting, but if that is all they are going on (which I doubt) it's weak.

Fitti Fan
08-19-06, 12:44 AM

Information was not made public but the parents had the info., they found the body. The professor was an advocate of the parents. The professor was making the contact with Karr. Hmmmm, wonder how Karr could have gotten that "never made public" info"? :shakehead

KLang
08-19-06, 08:27 AM
Information was not made public but the parents had the info., they found the body. The professor was an advocate of the parents. The professor was making the contact with Karr. Hmmmm, wonder how Karr could have gotten that "never made public" info"? :shakehead

On one of the CNN shows last night they interviewed one of the original investigators, he has moved on from Boulder. He can't think of any details that haven't already been made public.

I don't know what to make of that professor. He seems to have spent the last 10 years defending the Ramsey's for some reason.

Turbodog
08-20-06, 06:17 PM
This just in....... he killed Hoffa also

racer2c
08-28-06, 03:55 PM
it's being reported that Karr's DNA does not match the DNA found on the girls body.

Ankf00
08-28-06, 04:02 PM
where's Durham DA Mike Nifong when you want to debunk DNA credibility? :gomer:

KLang
08-28-06, 04:21 PM
CNN BREAKING NEWS: No charges will be filed against John Mark Karr after his DNA did not match evidence from JonBenet Ramsey murder scene, Denver, Colorado's KUSA TV reports.

So after all that's gone on this last week the folks in Boulder had nothing else then his 'confession'? :shakehead

Tony George
08-28-06, 05:42 PM
I guess he got what he wanted- free trip back to the US. ;)

redmist
08-28-06, 05:51 PM
CNN BREAKING NEWS: No charges will be filed against John Mark Karr after his DNA did not match evidence from JonBenet Ramsey murder scene, Denver, Colorado's KUSA TV reports.

So after all that's gone on this last week the folks in Boulder had nothing else then his 'confession'? :shakehead

they should still lock him up for being so f*****g creepy, that is one strange dude. :eek:

Dr. Corkski
08-28-06, 09:11 PM
I guess he got what he wanted- free trip back to the US. ;)http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/5717/freetripmp8.gif

Spicoli
08-28-06, 09:35 PM
http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/5717/freetripmp8.gif

:rofl: :rofl:

That's funny.

Cam
08-28-06, 09:36 PM
I guess he got what he wanted- free trip back to the US. ;)

Broke and living in Thailand?
Desperate to make the trip back home to the States?
Make up whacko story about some high profile child murder
Get free business class flight across the Pacific
Found out that you are full of crap?
Priceless!