PDA

View Full Version : Is Denver the most un-photo friendly track

Chiphead_Dave
08-13-06, 11:25 PM
Ok.

Of all the tracks that I have been to Denver is the most
un-photo friendly.

I don't have money/connections/whatever it takes to get
a photo pass but I do shoot model aircraft (in flight) for a magazine so I guess you could call me a "pro" but everywhere I went at the Denver track there was no place a "normal" human could get good shots without the fence being in the way..

Then every time I would try to get close to a fence some overpaid "event" person would read me the riot act and
tell me that I couldn't get close to the 2nd fence in front of the stands, but they couldn't tell me why.

Anyone know why?

Dr. Corkski
08-13-06, 11:32 PM
Because you aren't hardcore enough for a hardcard? :gomer:

Or maybe it's a street circuit.

theunions
08-13-06, 11:34 PM
My vote's for Monterrey.

You could have 100 photo holes per linear feet of catch fencing and you still can't do anything about all the ugly.

Chiphead_Dave
08-13-06, 11:43 PM
Because you aren't hardcore enough for a hardcard?

I don't even know what it takes to get one.
So I guess not.

But I did take 2356 pictures over 3 days. Some good
some bad. I did get the AJ over SB pass relatively nice, but lotsa fencing.

Dr. Corkski
08-14-06, 12:35 AM
I don't even know what it takes to get one.
So I guess not.

But I did take 2356 pictures over 3 days. Some good
some bad. I did get the AJ over SB pass relatively nice, but lotsa fencing.For starters you are posting at the wrong forums. ;)

If you don't want fencing, get yourself onto high ground, or come to a proper racetrack like RA.

Chiphead_Dave
08-14-06, 01:13 AM
If you don't want fencing, get yourself onto high ground, or come to a proper racetrack like RA.

I wanna some day. I loved shooting pictures at Laguna....Portland is nice as well.

TRANSAM
08-14-06, 05:02 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFavNyCE3Xw

Hard Driver
08-14-06, 10:56 AM
Nice :thumbup:

Spicoli
08-14-06, 11:57 AM
Ok.

Of all the tracks that I have been to Denver is the most
un-photo friendly.

I don't have money/connections/whatever it takes to get
a photo pass but I do shoot model aircraft (in flight) for a magazine so I guess you could call me a "pro" but everywhere I went at the Denver track there was no place a "normal" human could get good shots without the fence being in the way..

Then every time I would try to get close to a fence some overpaid "event" person would read me the riot act and
tell me that I couldn't get close to the 2nd fence in front of the stands, but they couldn't tell me why.

Anyone know why?

you have to,,,,know people,,,

Chiphead_Dave
08-14-06, 04:58 PM
you have to,,,,know people,,,

I know people...but obviously not the right ones.

Based upon what I have seen there are 3 ways to get a photo pass.

1. Have some genuine need, like a pro motorsports photographer.
2. Have a point and shoot 1 MP camera but know someone spicoli knows.
3. Have a tight butt and a willingness to wear a short skirt.

How about the rest of us non-skirt wearing people that don't know spicoli?

cameraman
08-14-06, 05:25 PM
If a friend of the family works for a team you might be able to score the occasional overcrew hardcard. Depends on how much they like you.

Spicoli
08-14-06, 05:29 PM
Or you could axe Stinky Stankchez. He's got foto expeeeriences.

RichK
08-14-06, 05:29 PM
Do they still sell "Super Photo" passes?

grungex
08-14-06, 05:58 PM
At most races (perhaps all), even a hardcard won't get you between the fences. You need either worker or media credentials. AFAIK you can buy a super photo pass for most weekends.

G.
08-14-06, 06:12 PM
At most races (perhaps all), even a hardcard won't get you between the fences. You need either worker or media credentials. AFAIK you can buy a super photo pass for most weekends.You need a "Hazardous Area" pass, or some such.

Then every time I would try to get close to a fence some overpaid "event" person would read me the riot act and tell me that I couldn't get close to the 2nd fence in front of the stands, but they couldn't tell me why.

Anyone know why? Liability. You have to sign the "I'mgoingtodieandIwon'tsue" document.

Linda
08-14-06, 06:45 PM
I know its hard at some tracks but even though you sign your life away. I'm sure they have to pay a pretty penny for insurance.So that could be why they could'nt let you go where you wanted. But I know about those pretend cop's. Give them a little power goes to there head. LOL

NismoZ
08-14-06, 08:57 PM
Besides more concrete, chain link and expertly placed bill boards, RA sold photo passes for $300 so those guys could stand in front of the few unobstructed views that remained. Also a few well placed porta-potties have made it even more difficult for the GA customer. I'm not against safety by any means, but much has been thoughtlessly done to obstruct spectator/photo sightlines. RA is still one of the best for the photog but a shadow of what it once was.

As far as Denver goes the main problem, as noted, is it is a street course, but I was able to get some VERY nice overhead shots from the big permanent crossover bridge from Six Flags...right through the glass. Or, standing on the brick wall/steps entrance to Braun's Pub at pit exit. Over fence. :thumbup: Try those two next time. :) Also from row 1 in stand 2 the fence didn't get in the way of Sebastian and PT...but I'd already stowed the camera!! :cry:

tifosi77
08-16-06, 03:25 PM
What I can't stand are the knuckleheads who somehow finagle a pass to get between the fences, then use their friggin' Razr to take pictures while leaning out the camera gaps.

:flame:

Saw some retard doing that this year at Long Beach (on the outside of the hairpin) and I wanted to throttle the guy.

Chiphead_Dave
08-16-06, 06:15 PM
What I can't stand are the knuckleheads who somehow finagle a pass to get between the fences, then use their friggin' Razr to take pictures while leaning out the camera gaps.

:flame:

Saw some retard doing that this year at Long Beach (on the outside of the hairpin) and I wanted to throttle the guy.

This year at Denver I saw 1 guy w/ a fixed lens point and shoot blocking the best
hole in turn 1 while 3 floosies stood next to them. I think he took like
5 pictures in 30 minutes.