PDA

View Full Version : IRL Motegi Results

pchall
04-13-03, 10:14 AM
Medical update from Dr. Geoffrey Billows with the Indy Racing League medical team:

Scott Mayer and Sarah Fisher have been checked and released from the infield medical center. They are cleared to drive.

Roger Yasukawa has been checked and released from the infield medical center. He is cleared to drive.

Helio Castroneves has been checked and released from the infield medical center. He was treated for left foot and right elbow pain; X-rays were negative.

A.J. Foyt IV has been checked and released from the infield medical center. He was treated for an abrasion on his left thumb.

Alex Barron and Tomas Scheckter have been checked and released from the infield medical center. Both are cleared to drive.

Tony Kanaan has been transported by air to Dokkyo University School of Medicine Hospital in Tochigi, Japan. He is awake and alert and will have X-rays taken of his right leg and left arm.

Jaques Lazier is awake and alert being treated for a right knee abrasion and will be released shortly from the infield medical center.

Scott Dixon is awake and alert and is being treated for right wrist pain. He will be released shortly from the infield medical center.

No comment.

lone_groover
04-13-03, 10:17 AM
"BRING OUT YOUR..............WANKERS."

Railbird
04-13-03, 10:21 AM
I was watching T&S until lap 150.

It seems a carbon fibre storm settled in over Motegi through the course of the night.

Green
Yellow
Green
Yellow
Green
Yellow

Repeat until sufficiantly bored to nod off.

On the upside, no apparent spinal injuries.

at least not so far.

Chief
04-13-03, 11:08 AM
Do you get the feeling there's gonna be some IRL growing pains this month of May?

Railbird
04-13-03, 11:13 AM
update:

Seems the early medical update missed the fact that a suspension piece pierced the tub and stabbed Kanaan in the ass.

Don Quixote
04-13-03, 11:54 AM
This just in: IRL chassis futures are trending upward.

trubritz
04-13-03, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Railbird
update:

Seems the early medical update missed the fact that a suspension piece pierced the tub and stabbed Kanaan in the ass.

Translation: He got an A-arm in the A-hole!!!

lone_groover
04-13-03, 03:11 PM
Tony's finally getting to experience some of what Helio's been feelin' in the I*L.

Badger
04-13-03, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by trubritz
Translation: He got an A-arm in the A-hole!!!

I don't think it is right to make light of this until we know the full extent of the injury as it sounds like it is not a mild puncture.

cart7
04-13-03, 04:01 PM
update:

:eek: Dr. Moe, Dr. Larry, Dr. Curley Joe, emergency brain surgery required in room 222!!! :eek:

Eagle104
04-13-03, 04:10 PM
update:

On the b'cast, it started even earlier than that when Scott Goodyear said that seeing the steering wheels come off means they're "ok".:gomer: :saywhat:

trubritz
04-13-03, 05:08 PM
I don't think it is right to make light of this until we know the full extent of the injury as it sounds like it is not a mild puncture. [/B]

Huh? Where does it make light of the injury? If I'd said he'd been reamed a new one then maybe, but c'mon - stop being so anal...

Ziggy
04-13-03, 07:00 PM
Yes, one of the most important features in Tony's Vision is the steering wheel toss.... followed by the "thumbs up" which translates to "its OK Ma, Im only bleeding"

A very rousing contest, with plenty of exposure of the American made emergency vehicles. See the IRL was built to showcase the van and pickup truck manufacturing capabilities of Detroit.... For they get the most air time and the only thing made in America.

Ziggy

PS - BooHoo, pass the Koolaid, Im shocked

oddlycalm
04-13-03, 07:35 PM
Sure, but just think of how much they will save on return shipping charges... :eek:

devilmaster
04-13-03, 10:09 PM
update:

How's the hampster? :laugh:

Steve

DaveL
04-13-03, 10:51 PM
I wonder if the Lemmings include which driver will be injured in their Pick 5 games, with an extra bonus if you can guess which body part will be damaged.

Sean O'Gorman
04-13-03, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by DaveL
I wonder if the Lemmings include which driver will be injured in their Pick 5 games, with an extra bonus if you can guess which body part will be damaged.

Who would actually guess the buttocks? :eek:

DaveL
04-13-03, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by SOG35

He has a badly broken wrist.

Hey, at least his spine is one piece.

WickerBill
04-14-03, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by SOG35

Adrian Fernandez...

pchall
04-14-03, 12:15 PM
Since we all seem to have an inordinant interest in this troublesome crop of IRL rookies, this thread might be the right place to ask this question.

Has anyone found a reliable source (with a link) about the the awkward penetration of a suspension bit into TK's ttub? Or will it take a bit more time for official news to catch up to Flag Room scuttlebutt?

spook
04-14-03, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by pchall

Has anyone found a reliable source (with a link) about the the awkward penetration of a suspension bit into TK's ttub? Or will it take a bit more time for official news to catch up to Flag Room scuttlebutt?

Do I count? :D

I'm reliable but linkless. ;)

RaceGrrl
04-14-03, 12:18 PM
TG and the IRL must rectify their safety issues. It's a shame.

mapguy
04-14-03, 12:21 PM
What a shock. Another irl 'show' and another driver taken away to hospital.

pchall
04-14-03, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by RaceGrrl
TG and the IRL must rectify their safety issues. It's a shame.

If it was only an electrical problem, they should know all about AC to DC rectifiers.

trubritz
04-14-03, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by spook
Do I count? :D

I'm reliable but linkless. ;)

Of course spook - so is it true?

Railbird
04-14-03, 01:54 PM
Spook broke the news over on Track Forum so I suspect she'll back it up.

Suspension components piercing carbon fibre tubs is nothing new, I just find the consistant lack of reporting the facts in the medical updates to be troublesome.

spook
04-14-03, 02:18 PM
I think it was one of those things that looked really gross and seemed like a really big deal at the time, but given that they were able to stitch him up and get him on a flight home so quickly, it reassures me that maybe it wasn't quite as bad as it SOUNDED like when I was informed about it. So yay for that! :)

I'm waaaaaaay more worried about the wrist. Hopefully I'll know something more about that by mid-week.

BTW, FWIW - I think the cars are junk and still leave a lot to be desired with regard to safety. Yes, they've made progress, but they're still not up to snuff.

pchall
04-14-03, 02:23 PM
Suspension components piercing carbon fibre tubs is nothing new, I just find the consistant lack of reporting the facts in the medical updates to be troublesome.

This is what troubles me as well. The under reporting about injuries from the IRL is appalling. They dribble out the bad news Tuesday thru Thursday when they hope nooen is looking.

RaceGrrl
04-14-03, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by pchall
They dribble out the bad news Tuesday thru Thursday when they hope nooen is looking.

There's medication that can help with that, you know.

pchall
04-14-03, 09:23 PM
The rest of injuries are beginning to be reported.

On the ESPN site it is said that Scott Dixon has fractures of the wrist and hand.

http://espn.go.com/rpm/irl/2003/0414/1539012.html

Badger
04-14-03, 11:59 PM
When can we expect the full injury report on helio?

cartmanoz
04-15-03, 07:54 AM
Have the IRL ever gone one race without some poor bastard ending up in hospital with broken bones?

I don't watch the stuff, couldn't care less about it, but it's hard not to notice every report about the IRL carries a not about some driver suffering injuries in a crash.

cart7
04-15-03, 08:47 AM
Last year was utter carnage in the earl. The month of May was particularily brutal.

This year is already shaping up to be bad. Gil with a concussion, Helio has injuries, Kanaan with wrist and stabbed *ss, etc. One can only hope, for the drivers sake, that the softer walls at Indy will save more injuries, though they didn't do much last year. Clearly, the design of the earl cars continues to compromise driver safety. I can't tnink of another series that has the number of injuries week in and week out as bad as the irl. Pretty pathetic for a league which used safety as one of it's initial selling points.