PDA

View Full Version : TV antennas

G.
08-13-06, 01:15 PM
Looking for some help here.

My bro has a boat, a big'un. He's a River Rat. He boats in an area approx 75 miles from Chicago, 60 from Peoria (on the Illinois river). The river is in a valley. He's looking to get a TV antenna that can hit the Chi/Peo TV stations. Good freakin' luck. Others have tried, the best thay can do is just get FOX.

I hit up antennaweb.org and it shows that he needs a "violet" antenna with an add-on Low Noise Amp.

Anyone have any good ideas for a setup for him? I haven't researched antennas, like, since, never.

The ideal setup: an aerodynamic ant. that can be mounted on top of his flydeck, with a battery powered LNA (car battery, er, boat), so he can receive TV while the boat is moving.

Less ideal: LNA needs AC (doable).

Less, less ideal: Big honking "A" shaped Yagi-Uda-style TV ant. (the ones you always see) with an LNA mounted on a pole that must be taken down to drive.

Summary: High gain ant., directional as all get-out, with good LNA, decent way to mount, etc..

Somebody here has done this, either for their boat or RV. I just know it!

What I don't need, is some marketing BS crap (ie., "this ant. is designed just FOR HDTV". BS.), but some real solutions. Kinda like the high-end stuff that a lot of you guys get on oc.

Thanks!

G.

SteveH
08-13-06, 02:15 PM
Buy him a VCR :gomer:

cameraman
08-14-06, 02:59 AM
The King Dome model 9762-LP Trac-King system.

A marine, dual LNB, in motion, low profile satellite system.

KLang
08-14-06, 09:29 AM
I agree with cameraman, a satellite system would be a better option. I believe he should be able to pull in the locals from wherever his home address is.

I live about 30 miles from the Houston transmitter farm and my antenna is about 10-12 foot long. I can't imagine that being practical on a boat.

dando
08-14-06, 09:46 AM

A marine, dual LNB, in motion, low profile satellite system.
I have a bud down Austin way that uses a system like this. DBS is the only way to go on a boat, or an RV for that matter.

-Kevin

Insomniac
08-14-06, 11:46 AM
I agree with cameraman, a satellite system would be a better option. I believe he should be able to pull in the locals from wherever his home address is.

As long as he is boating close by in the same area. They spot beam the locals to specific areas.

G.
08-14-06, 12:05 PM

A marine, dual LNB, in motion, low profile satellite system.What's the scoop on this? Do you need to subscribe to a sat. service, or does this just sniff off the normal downlink to the cable companies? A conversion box needed?

This does seem like the way to go...

SteveH, he has a DVD player on board, but my guess is that his DVD collection consists of movies that I would rather not have the g's view. :laugh:

KLang
08-14-06, 12:06 PM
As long as he is boating close by in the same area. They spot beam the locals to specific areas.

That depends on the provider and what station they want. On Dish Network the big 4 networks from Chicago are not on spot beams. The smaller networks and independents are on a spot. Don't know about DirectTV.

cameraman
08-14-06, 12:20 PM
What's the scoop on this? Do you need to subscribe to a sat. service You need the account with the provider of your choice and their box. Therefore you need 110V for both items.

And those puppies cost around $2000 - $2500...

dando
08-14-06, 12:21 PM
What's the scoop on this? Do you need to subscribe to a sat. service, or does this just sniff off the normal downlink to the cable companies? A conversion box needed?

A sub and a STB (receiver) are required for DBS.

You might find some info on OTA antennas on AVSForum.com. All things AV and then some are discussed @ length and then some on that board.

-Kevin

cameraman
08-14-06, 12:24 PM
Oh yeah. You can't just get the far cheaper RV version. They are for a camper planted firmly on the ground. The marine versions compensate for the rocking of the boat and swinging at anchor.

KLang
08-14-06, 12:30 PM
Pretty fancy stuff:

Azimuth Response Rate 90° / second
Pitch & Roll Response Rate 40° / second

Insomniac
08-14-06, 02:59 PM
That depends on the provider and what station they want. On Dish Network the big 4 networks from Chicago are not on spot beams. The smaller networks and independents are on a spot. Don't know about DirectTV.

That's true. Most of the country is on spot beams, so that's what I meant. I can't recall how DTV handles RVs and locals. Maybe they just get the nationals?

cameraman
08-14-06, 03:19 PM
Assuming that you buy the locals for your mobile dish you will get them when you are with the "spot" otherwise they don't work but everything else does. Problem with that is the receivers are not designed for that and you end up with the system endlessly trying to acquire those missing signals. I'm not sure there is a way to get the system to just ignore what it can't find. But if you live on the boat and spend much of your time within the area of the "spot" then it would be worth it.

Wheel-Nut
08-14-06, 03:32 PM
How much co-ax can the boat hold?

KLang
08-14-06, 03:34 PM
There are federal rules that allow for an RV to pick up national feeds (NY, LA, etc.) in place of 'locals' but the rule (SHVIA) doesn't seem to apply to boats.

DTV's site has a page about service for boats but it says no locals and doesn't address the national feeds.

Dish's site doesn't address boats at all. It seems likely to me if your home address is in the Chicago viewing area they should be able to pull in Dish's Chicago national feed.

Perhaps the easier thing to do would take a home receiver out to the boat? Legal?

eiregosod
08-14-06, 03:51 PM
Looking for some help here.

My bro has a boat, a big'un. He's a River Rat. He boats in an area approx 75 miles from Chicago, 60 from Peoria (on the Illinois river). The river is in a valley. He's looking to get a TV antenna that can hit the Chi/Peo TV stations. Good freakin' luck. Others have tried, the best thay can do is just get FOX.

I hit up antennaweb.org and it shows that he needs a "violet" antenna with an add-on Low Noise Amp.

Anyone have any good ideas for a setup for him? I haven't researched antennas, like, since, never.

The ideal setup: an aerodynamic ant. that can be mounted on top of his flydeck, with a battery powered LNA (car battery, er, boat), so he can receive TV while the boat is moving.

Less ideal: LNA needs AC (doable).

Less, less ideal: Big honking "A" shaped Yagi-Uda-style TV ant. (the ones you always see) with an LNA mounted on a pole that must be taken down to drive.

Summary: High gain ant., directional as all get-out, with good LNA, decent way to mount, etc..

Somebody here has done this, either for their boat or RV. I just know it!

What I don't need, is some marketing BS crap (ie., "this ant. is designed just FOR HDTV". BS.), but some real solutions. Kinda like the high-end stuff that a lot of you guys get on oc.

Thanks!

G.

I cannot offer any advice on antenna type. There has to be low power UHF antenna construction out there. (the broadcasters dont use Magi antennas to broadcast because they are very lossy)

The antenna is going to have to be high up because the river is in a valley. The LNA IS going to have to be right beside the antenna for optimum picture quality.

You could also put a 10-20dB amplifier at the TV, (this amp does not have to be low noise). I'd look for a variable amplifier, if the amplificiation is too low then the picture will be crap, if the amplification is too high then there'll be lots of intereference.)

cameraman
08-14-06, 05:34 PM
It seems likely to me if your home address is in the Chicago viewing area they should be able to pull in Dish's Chicago national feed. Perhaps the easier thing to do would take a home receiver out to the boat? Legal? That is what most people I know do. They have an extra receiver on their home account which just so happens to live on their boat.