PDA

View Full Version : DP01 testing?

Pages : [1] 2

ferrarigod
08-08-06, 05:07 PM
Just thought I'd ask here since this is a different crowd than the other websites. I called Champ Car and asked, and the PR people didn't really have a specific date, in fact the PR phone lady said she found out about the possible test next week on some forums.

So does anyone have a date, or place? It is about a week away, and if it is at Sebring or Road Atlanta, I'm ready to go with both video and camera's.

A little help?

Ronbo
08-08-06, 11:43 PM
ra this weekend

Lizzerd
08-09-06, 12:06 AM
RA = Road America?
RA = Road Atlanta?

I've heard that it is Atlanta with Pupo driving.

ferrarigod
08-09-06, 12:29 AM
ra this weekend

how solid is that? cause I'll juice up the car right now. I also assume you mean Atlanta.

dando
08-14-06, 11:59 AM
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/30910/

PANOZ TEST

The new Panoz DP01 Champ Car is slated for its initial shakedown test at Road Atlanta on Tuesday and Wednesday. Roberto Moreno will do the driving. An ambitious test schedule is set to begin at Sebring later this month.

-Kevin

nrc
08-14-06, 12:02 PM
Never turn a wheel... scale model... roller with no engine or trannieeee... aack aackk ak ak.. :cry:

KLang
08-14-06, 12:09 PM
Sure hope they got the mirrors working. :gomer:

Insomniac
08-15-06, 12:20 PM
This is happening today. Is anyone going?

Wheel-Nut
08-17-06, 12:39 PM
Did they ever get a few laps in?

Insomniac
08-17-06, 12:52 PM
I think the test is over and I haven't seen any news anywhere. Does anyone know anything? How did it go?

Chiphead_Dave
08-17-06, 12:57 PM
Please some news. If only for the break from PT vs. SB v2.

Jayblues
08-17-06, 01:07 PM

delayed untill today - info direct from the cc office

Insomniac
08-17-06, 02:53 PM
delayed untill today - info direct from the cc office

So nothing Tuesday or Wednesday?

nrc
08-17-06, 02:54 PM
So nothing Tuesday or Wednesday?
Mirror adjustments.

cameraman
08-17-06, 02:55 PM
Other innerweb places have been saying they have had problems with the fuel cell. It is the innerweb so take that for what it is worth.

tifosi77
08-17-06, 02:55 PM
MarkC at AR1 is reporting that testing has been postponed until 'later this week'. Well, it's already Thursday, and nothing from Road Atlanta.

:shakehead :thumdown:

Jayblues
08-17-06, 05:17 PM
MarkC at AR1 is reporting that testing has been postponed until 'later this week'. Well, it's already Thursday, and nothing from Road Atlanta.

:shakehead :thumdown:

gear box was only completed last week, it has passed crash testing however.

Andrew Longman
08-19-06, 09:54 AM

Agreed. So far they have handled the PR around the DP01 pretty well. Seems they are slipping a little on the testing though.

NismoZ
08-19-06, 11:38 AM
No. The idea is to get it right not to stick to some rigid schedule. This ain't the Soviet space program. My understanding is the original delay was to finish the redesign of the gear CASE as the gears are the same. It had to fit, that's all. Solve as many of the design problems as possible before taking to the track. A catastrophic failure at speed is a far larger embarrassment than a short delay. Pills, everyone! :)...or maybe they're just trying to wedge in that NA Honda? :eek:

Joelski
08-19-06, 02:48 PM
Reports from the track indicate that a certain innernet poster was spotted near canada corner attempting to masquerade in a deer-like costume, but offering the appearance of a gang-raped waterbuffalo. The dead giveaway was the mukluks.

Spicoli
08-19-06, 02:51 PM
Reports from the track indicate that a certain innernet poster was spotted near canada corner attempting to masquerade in a deer-like costume, but offering the appearance of a gang-raped waterbuffalo. The dead giveaway was the mukluks.

They got a Canada Corner at Road Atlanta? :saywhat:

Joelski
08-19-06, 02:56 PM
They got a Canada Corner at Road Atlanta? :saywhat:

:gomer:

Well, the rest of it was true. I SWEAR!

Can we take a donation thingy to buy D & W a deer costume? They can take turns being the ass part.

Insomniac
08-19-06, 03:35 PM
No. The idea is to get it right not to stick to some rigid schedule. This ain't the Soviet space program. My understanding is the original delay was to finish the redesign of the gear CASE as the gears are the same. It had to fit, that's all. Solve as many of the design problems as possible before taking to the track. A catastrophic failure at speed is a far larger embarrassment than a short delay. Pills, everyone! :)...or maybe they're just trying to wedge in that NA Honda? :eek:

They shouldn't announce it in the first place IMO. Announce it afterwards like the gov't does when testing major defense stuff.

rosawendel
08-19-06, 04:45 PM
gear box was only completed last week, it has passed crash testing however.

There's a pull-out in the October RACER mag... looks like san jose, and it looks like it's on track... and moving. was that a photoshop?

grungex
08-19-06, 04:57 PM
It must have been. The car at San Jose had no running gear.

gpflepsen
08-19-06, 05:10 PM
There's a pull-out in the October RACER mag... looks like san jose, and it looks like it's on track... and moving. was that a photoshop?

The car was rolled on track for a few pics before departing SJ. Can you scan the pic for posting?

rosawendel
08-19-06, 05:38 PM
The car was rolled on track for a few pics before departing SJ. Can you scan the pic for posting?
best i can do at the moment:
http://www.imageigloo.com/images/6376DSC_0031.JPG

gpflepsen
08-19-06, 06:09 PM
best i can do at the moment:
http://www.imageigloo.com/images/6376DSC_0031.JPG

Thanks, I see nothing at all wrong with this photo/compilation. It looks pretty kick-ass to me! I guess a camera could be mounted on the car and a longer exposure could be taken while rolling it a few feet. Software could also do the effect.

It's an advertisement, not in the same category of filling out stands with photo altering to misrepresent an event.

ferrarigod
08-19-06, 07:11 PM
sooooo, i still wanna go to the testing. whats the deal?

manic mechanic
08-19-06, 07:57 PM
It must have been. The car at San Jose had no running gear.

Minor correction: The DP-01 at SJGP had a functional engine but no guts in the gearbox. :p

manic

Cam
08-19-06, 09:08 PM
Minor correction: The DP-01 at SJGP had a functional engine but no guts in the gearbox. :p

manic

Can you transmit that the satellite dishes in Alaska?

G.
08-19-06, 09:55 PM
Can you transmit that the satellite dishes in Alaska?And ruin everyone's entertainment?!?

I should think NOT!

:laugh:

grungex
08-20-06, 12:02 AM
Minor correction: The DP-01 at SJGP had a functional engine but no guts in the gearbox.
I'll take your word for it, but I couldn't tell one way or the other even from two feet away. I could see the dummy transaxle spacer, though, it looked like a simple box made of a hard white plastic material.

I took a ton of pics of the car, starting on page 3 of this site:

--Linky-- (http://turboesprit.myphotoalbum.com/view_album.php?set_albumName=album16)

skaven
08-20-06, 11:04 PM
Nice Photos ! ! ! :thumbup:

Didn't they say that the new car would have wider a side pod profile jutting beyond the wheels to prevent tire launches?

The pictures don't seem to show that (photo 59 in particular). Wonder if it was vetoed in the interest of design (looks)?

grungex
08-21-06, 08:55 AM
I seem to recall there was some mention of narrowing the track, in the end it ended up only 1/2" narrower. Not sure about the sidepods, but a top view shows they're not even close to that wide. 78" track, maybe 63" body width. 65" wide front wing.

pchall
08-21-06, 11:22 AM
I seem to recall there was some mention of narrowing the track, in the end it ended up only 1/2" narrower.

I remember reading a quote where it was said the the underwing downforce requirement could not be met with a narrower track. As I've long thought, it is not so much the track and overall width that matters in matters of "nimbleness" but the wheelbase. As far as I can determine, the wheelbase is about 121" compared to the 124"-128" inches of the Reynard/Lola/Penske/Eagle generation of Champ Cars. I was hoping for something more like 118".

KLang
08-21-06, 11:33 AM
Kirby article (http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=10774)

After nine months of unrelenting work the brand new Champ Car runs for the first time over five days at Sebring this week with test driver Roberto Moreno at the wheel. Moreno, 47, has a wealth of experience in Champ Cars, Indy cars and Formula 1.

Kinda weird there doesn't seem to be anything official about what happened last week.

Spicoli
08-21-06, 11:50 AM
Kirby article (http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=10774)

Kinda weird there doesn't seem to be anything official about what happened last week.

'Maybe becuase nothing, in fact, happened? ;)

TKGAngel
08-21-06, 12:20 PM
They mentioned on Windbag last night that there were fuel cell related problems.

At one point, wasn't Vasser supposed to be one of the test drivers? Or was that wishful thinking on behalf of us innerweb folk?

pchall
08-21-06, 02:18 PM
At one point, wasn't Vasser supposed to be one of the test drivers? Or was that wishful thinking on behalf of us innerweb folk?

The optimism thugs and nostalgia nuts were out in force on that one. Nothing like letting a newly semi-retired driver/owner to get in the cockpit three months before deliveries to the teams are to begin...

ferrarigod
08-21-06, 02:26 PM
Sebring this week. When? I ain't gots nothing to do, and thats just a quick trip away. Much closer than Hot'lanta.

pchall
08-21-06, 03:03 PM
Sebring this week. When? I ain't gots nothing to do, and thats just a quick trip away. Much closer than Hot'lanta.

Five days at Sebring sounds a lot like M thru F to me...

cameraman
08-21-06, 03:13 PM
You might want to make sure it isn't a closed test too. Not sure how "closed" Sebring can be but I'd still make the call before I drove too far.

grungex
08-21-06, 04:54 PM
I remember reading a quote where it was said the the underwing downforce requirement could not be met with a narrower track. As I've long thought, it is not so much the track and overall width that matters in matters of "nimbleness" but the wheelbase. As far as I can determine, the wheelbase is about 121" compared to the 124"-128" inches of the Reynard/Lola/Penske/Eagle generation of Champ Cars. I was hoping for something more like 118".

Wheelbase 123" (Lola 124'-128")
Track 78" (Lola 78.5")
Front wing 65" wide (Lola 63")
Rear wing 43" wide (same)
Length 190" (Lola 199")
Height 38" (Lola 38.5")

ferrarigod
08-21-06, 05:03 PM
You might want to make sure it isn't a closed test too. Not sure how "closed" Sebring can be but I'd still make the call before I drove too far.

Easy to watch the test from outside of that closed circuit. Didn't know how easy Atlanta would be, but Sebring would be very easy even if it were closed.

tifosi77
08-21-06, 05:05 PM
Yes, it was the underbody downforce numbers that dictated the track width. I argued up and down with somoene at another forum for the better part of two days saying that the track was 72" and he kept saying "No, it's 78"".

Should probably read up on that stuff before I start getting snarky, eh? :o

Altho, just to point out, I believe the reduced track was originally designed as a means to improve racing on narrower street circuits. Three DP01s side-by-side would have at least a foot-and-a-half of extra room as compared to the Lola.

Whatever, this DP01 should be a quick motor scooter once it gets going.

ferrarigod
08-21-06, 09:49 PM
Five days at Sebring sounds a lot like M thru F to me...

I didn't see that. I guess thats what happens when you skim an article while watching the Gilmour Girls :D

Chiphead_Dave
08-22-06, 10:56 AM
I guess thats what happens when you skim an article while watching the Gilmour Girls :D

If I ever sat and watched Gilmour Girls I would get up and blow my brains out
afterwards.

KLang
08-22-06, 11:16 AM
AR1 (yea I know :p ) has some pics up of the car on the track at Sebring.

Wheel-Nut
08-22-06, 11:31 AM
^^ Can you swipe the photos and post up?

Wally
08-22-06, 11:37 AM
Whoa, you mean wheels are turning? But but ......I thought.....

Ropes and razor blade sales should be up in wankerville. :gomer:

chop456
08-22-06, 11:51 AM
Hopefully polar bears are cracking igloos open and chewing on their delicious, jealous filling.

Spicoli
08-22-06, 11:57 AM

:rofl:

Warlock!
08-22-06, 12:10 PM
FWIW, the mirrors are not the sidepod-moulded ones seen in the car... they're up on sticks.

Seriously. :D

Al Czervik
08-22-06, 01:43 PM
I know we're not supposed to rag on other forums, but TF is filled with comedy gold, in a gomerific kind of way :gomer: :rofl:

Andrew Longman
08-22-06, 02:24 PM
I know we're not supposed to rag on other forums, but TF is filled with comedy gold, in a gomerific kind of way :gomer: :rofl:

Indeed. Running out of wiggle space and moving to fantasy/denial land.

What I have the hardest time understanding are comments that the DP01 is an insult to TG and the IRL because it either does or does not run on ovals or because teams should just be leaving to go to the IRL. :rolleyes:

G.
08-22-06, 02:26 PM
http://www.autoracing1.com/Images/2006/ChampCar/Offseason/DP01TestSebring1.jpg
http://www.autoracing1.com/Images/2006/ChampCar/Offseason/DP01TestSebring3.jpg
http://www.autoracing1.com/Images/2006/ChampCar/Offseason/DP01TestSebring2.jpg

Insomniac
08-22-06, 02:41 PM
Woohoo! It's on track.

Will they build a second one and see how 2 run together on track?

Racing Truth
08-22-06, 04:04 PM
I love the 3rd pic G. posted. Better looking than I thought. I'm liking it a lot. :thumbup:

Wilke's crack was pathetic, but not all that shocking. :thumdown:

KLang
08-22-06, 04:11 PM
The bannings should start soon. The eskimo must be protected. :laugh:

New car :thumbup:

rosawendel
08-22-06, 04:56 PM
is it just me, or is the starbord side mirror bigger than the port side?

cameraman
08-22-06, 04:58 PM
looks to be the case.

coolhand
08-22-06, 06:19 PM
I am surprised I don't see more comments on the mirrors

G.
08-22-06, 06:21 PM
is it just me, or is the starbord side mirror bigger than the port side?It's the PT Package. So he can see who he's hitting.

Sorry. Couldn't resist. :gomer:

nrc
08-22-06, 07:02 PM
Obviously those mirrors never worked.

RichK
08-22-06, 07:06 PM
That is a great looking racecar.

dando
08-22-06, 09:28 PM
Who needs mirrors?

</seabass>

:D :gomer:

-Kevin

coolhand
08-22-06, 09:51 PM
http://www.autoracing1.com/Images/2006/ChampCar/OffSeason2/DP01testSebring7.jpg

The Rear wing end plates could still be smaller, the front looks cool.
AR1 has video up too.

Spicoli
08-22-06, 10:01 PM
:thumbup: :cool:

SteveH
08-22-06, 10:27 PM
What a great day to be a Champ Car fan. :thumbup:

Insomniac
08-23-06, 08:39 AM
Some interesting info on the problems last week:

Like the first run for any new racing car there were a series of last-minute glitches to overcome. A leaking fuel cell prevented the scheduled shakedown at Road Atlanta last Tuesday and Wednesday and another undisclosed problem resulted in an oil leak, stopping the car from running later in the week. Panoz's development team, led by Peter Parrott, had to build a small metal fuel tank to hold a few gallons of methanol and finally ran the car on Saturday in the parking lot at Road Atlanta with Anthony Lazzaro driving because Moreno had to fly home for a few days.
And what they're doing now:

"Right now we can only three laps at a time and then come in and put fuel in it," Parrott said on Monday afternoon. "It's not the perfect situation. But the car ran okay. It ran well. We've been sorting-out the paddle shifting today and probably the next couple of days. It's not just the shifting system, there's some software work to be done to get the motor synchronized with it. We need to get that working perfectly, then we can get down to business on the rest of it. But we certainly made some gains today and I'm sure we'll make some more gains tonight and again tomorrow."
http://www.crash.net/feature_View~t~The-Way-It-Is--Testing-of-new-Panoz-DP01-underway-~cid~3~id~9990.htm

KLang
08-23-06, 09:24 AM
http://paddocktalk.com/news/html/modules/ew_filemanager/06images/CCWS/06/dp01test/DP01-sebring-2-600.jpg

Hey the car has bigger boobs then.... well you know. ;)

RusH
08-23-06, 10:28 AM
looks hwat

:in: :thumbup:

TU Homer
08-23-06, 02:21 PM
Video is very cool.

1. Engine does seem to stagger during shifts. Perhaps this is the software improvement referenced above? As such, it looks fast on the video.

2. Mirrors. Would like to see the mirrors as designed, but these are not an issue. Just like the asthetics of the mirrors on the sidepods.

3. The video reflects this car much more as a traditional champcar. POint is, the car at San Jose looked more F1-ish to my eye, and seemed to break with the champcar look. However, on track, this is definately a champcar.

Can't wait to see 20 of these running in anger.

-TU

KLang
08-23-06, 02:37 PM
Video (http://www.autoracing1.com/Videos/2006/DP01TestDay1Sebring1High.asf)

Hope this works without a subscription. Oh, and turn it Up. :thumbup:

racer2c
08-23-06, 02:43 PM

Thanks! I actually got all goosepimply waiting for the car to come into sight. :thumbup:

*Our cars don't look like Jarts.* :D

rabbit
08-23-06, 03:03 PM

:cool:

Now it's 'Tubed! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSObylBSz6c

SAdair
08-23-06, 03:12 PM
Ok, now I am excited for 2007! :thumbup: :D

How many days till the season opener? :cool:

Chiphead_Dave
08-23-06, 03:22 PM
Can't wait to see 20 of these running in anger.

-TU

19 in anger, 1 in PT mode

KLang
08-23-06, 05:28 PM
Champ Car has a bunch of their own photos up now.

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/content/photos/2006/By800/20060823P_0024.jpg

Ankf00
08-23-06, 05:36 PM
*Our cars don't look like Jarts.* :D
Is that the white trash automotive equivalent of the "jort?" You made a funny, maybe without even realizing it. :) :thumbup:

grungex
08-23-06, 07:01 PM
Yes, it was the underbody downforce numbers that dictated the track width. I argued up and down with somoene at another forum for the better part of two days saying that the track was 72" and he kept saying "No, it's 78"".

Should probably read up on that stuff before I start getting snarky, eh?

Actually, I goofed. Track is properly defined as the distance between the centerline of the wheels, therefore the rear track on the DP01 is 62", not the overall width of 78" as I posted earlier. The Lola is 62.5". I don't know the front track for sure, but I'd estimate it at 68" or so. Sorry for the confusion...

emjaya
08-23-06, 07:06 PM
The new car sounds and looks great. :thumbup:

2007, I can't wait. :)

nissan gtp
08-23-06, 07:32 PM
Actually, I goofed. Track is properly defined as the distance between the centerline of the wheels, therefore the rear track on the DP01 is 62", not the overall width of 78" as I posted earlier. The Lola is 62.5". I don't know the front track for sure, but I'd estimate it at 68" or so. Sorry for the confusion...

I like wide cars, but the original post did seem a but much :rofl:

pchall
08-23-06, 07:47 PM
Nice video.

Looks like a champ car, sounds like a champ car. :D

I really want to hear one going through Madness and into the Esses...

coolhand
08-23-06, 08:02 PM
Champ Car has a bunch of their own photos up now.

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/content/photos/2006/By800/20060823P_0024.jpg

I like the mirrors

coolhand
08-23-06, 08:04 PM
http://www.champcarworldseries.com/content/photos/2006/By800/20060823P_0033.jpg

So I guess it is final they are sticking with Steel Rotors?

pchall
08-23-06, 08:36 PM
So I guess it is final they are sticking with Steel Rotors?

Apparently... and that's a good thing. It's been tough enough to pass as is and carbon fibre would shorten braking zones to miniscule F1 like dimensions.

Sean O'Gorman
08-23-06, 09:15 PM
Like anyone can even notice?

oooo000ooo0000ooohhh, expensive carbon fibAr would make it more high tech!!

Anyway, I give it a thumbs up. And I'm probably in the minority, but I like the big end plates on the rear wing, kinda like this car:

http://b.f1-facts.com/ul/a/177

As long as they aren't present on any oval package that may appear in the future.

racer2c
08-23-06, 09:24 PM
Like anyone can even notice?

oooo000ooo0000ooohhh, expensive carbon fibAr would make it more high tech!!

Anyway, I give it a thumbs up. And I'm probably in the minority, but I like the big end plates on the rear wing, kinda like this car:

http://b.f1-facts.com/ul/a/177

As long as they aren't present on any oval package that may appear in the future.

I love the how exposed the drivers were then, it made the helmet designs really mean something and you could really see the body language of the driver. Remember ol' Alesi leaning from side to side?
Dangerous as hell, but looked cool as s. I'm glad we can still see much of the helmet in a Champ Car, they've covered the F1 and IRL guys with so much bolstering one helmet looks the same as the next.

Sean O'Gorman
08-23-06, 09:26 PM
Hmm, I was thinking the exact opposite. I couldn't believe you could actually see their arms. What were they thinking back then???

coolhand
08-23-06, 09:32 PM
You could see their arms flailing around during wrecks in those cars.

Also they shook their fists at each other more then.

racer2c
08-23-06, 09:32 PM
Hmm, I was thinking the exact opposite. I couldn't believe you could actually see their arms. What were they thinking back then???

And somewhat ironically it was Senna's death that was the catalyst for the change in driver head exposure. BTW, Senna didn't like the confines of the newer cars with less head mobility.

pchall
08-23-06, 10:12 PM
Anyway, I give it a thumbs up. And I'm probably in the minority, but I like the big end plates on the rear wing, kinda like this car...

I like the big endplates as well, but the McLaren still has that ugly big mounting pylon on the gearbox. The DP01 makes me think of this car:

http://homepage.mac.com/mfc143/race/images/champ_cars/chaparral_2k_2.jpg

Jervis Tetch 1
08-23-06, 11:18 PM
:cool:

Now it's 'Tubed! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSObylBSz6c :thumbup:

ferrarigod
08-23-06, 11:37 PM
I found this interesting. They integrated the radio antenna to flow with the right mirror so as to not disturb any airflow up front. Kool idea. Havn't noticed it before on other cars. Of course, you don't see many close ups like that either.

still a cool idea. they should put the peedo tub on the other mirror.
http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/9826/dpo2fp1.jpg

devilmaster
08-24-06, 12:06 AM
I found this interesting. They integrated the radio antenna to flow with the right mirror so as to not disturb any airflow up front. Kool idea. Havn't noticed it before on other cars. Of course, you don't see many close ups like that either.

still a cool idea. they should put the peedo tub on the other mirror.
http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/9826/dpo2fp1.jpg

There are a few ideas like that.

They incorporated the airjack hose into the rainlight....

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/Content/Photos/2006/By400/20060728P_0002.jpg

ferrarigod
08-24-06, 12:15 AM
There are a few ideas like that.

They incorporated the airjack hose into the rainlight....

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/Content/Photos/2006/By400/20060728P_0002.jpg

yea, i like that a bunch as well. its the little things.

trauma1
08-24-06, 08:27 AM
oh wilkie has already done that," they were a safety hazzard" dip wit, the TF gang are good for laugh, let the backpeddeling begin :cry:

Robstar
08-24-06, 09:21 AM
'07's gonna F'n Rock...

That car is ultra sex... :thumbup: :thumbup: