PDA

View Full Version : Early Daytona 500 picks

WickerBill
01-07-03, 09:03 AM
I must be suffering from lack of racing disease.

Every year around this time, I cannot wait until Daytona. And every year around March, I'm wondering why I watch NASCAR. I guess it's just an off-season thing.

Anyway, since the winner seems to be a no-name the rest of the season fairly often, I'm going to pick:

Johnny Benson.

Team's better than it ever has been, he's run up front on a superspeedway before (including last year's Daytona), and his buddy Michael Waltrip will once again display his lack of killer instinct and push Johnny across the line.

:)

WB

mnkywrch
01-07-03, 09:10 AM
I don't think it will be Benson - if the new Pontiac is any good, other teams will yell and the car will be changed.

So I don't think it will be the new Pontiac. They're the ugly stepchild of NASCAR.

I'd say Sterling Marlin.

mapguy
01-07-03, 09:38 AM
Fittipaldi.

mnkywrch
01-07-03, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by mapguy
Fittipaldi.

:shakehead :gomer: ;) :p

cart7
01-07-03, 10:32 AM
I'm going with a dark horse, that F yomama guy.

How about another pick on the first reporter/photographer that Stewart punches out??:p

DaveL
01-07-03, 10:59 AM
If DEI remains as strong as it has been in the plate races, Lil' E would be my pick.

Turn7
01-07-03, 11:26 AM
I'll go with Kenny Schrader.

He is a good personality for the Inside Racing show and is on his last legs as far as sponsorship and career. I think that he may get a little bit of a prop up to extend it out a bit. That is of course if there is such a thing as a helping hand in NASCAR.:D

Dodge may get the node as well. So, look for Penske/Ganassi to be a factor since they have towed the Frances line and aligned their open wheel outfits with France-controlled Tonhollio.

And you can never go wrong with DEI on a plate race.

Racewriter
01-07-03, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by DaveL
If DEI remains as strong as it has been in the plate races, Lil' E would be my pick.

Mine too. For the same reason.

mnkywrch
01-07-03, 11:46 AM
I'm wondering if mandating standard body locations won't reduce DEI's advantage.

DaveL
01-07-03, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Turn7
I'll go with Kenny Schrader.

Not driving the BAM sled. He'll be fortunate to qualify in that car if enough decent cars show up.

rabbit
01-07-03, 02:44 PM
E Jr.

RTKar
01-08-03, 09:35 PM
Who will get the call? What purpose will NASCAR want to serve? ....A new young gun to set up for a season long rivalry or one last hurrah for an old timer?

msvphoto
01-08-03, 11:59 PM
I'm looking for one of the Racer's Group GT Porsches to take the overall over those DSP things ;)

Oh, the 500, nt the 24 hours. I think a DEI team too, they seem to be ultra-strong on plate tracks. Jr. is due. Put me down for the 8 (even though I'm not a big fan of his...I think he may be the one to watch for in the 500 if luck goes his way).