PDA

View Full Version : It's official - Webber Joins Red Bull

TrueBrit
08-07-06, 11:58 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/5253794.stm

Insomniac
08-07-06, 02:47 PM
The SPEED guys thought that move might end up with Scott Speed losing his seat (Klien to Toro Rosso).

oddlycalm
08-07-06, 03:22 PM
The SPEED guys thought that move might end up with Scott Speed losing his seat (Klien to Toro Rosso). Assuming they remain committed to Klien (likely), Speed probably goes to the third driver for a season. Depends a lot on how long Coulthard remains active in the car.

oc

Spicoli
08-07-06, 04:25 PM
The SPEED guys thought that move might end up with Scott Speed losing his seat (Klien to Toro Rosso).

Really. I didn't catch that.

I think Speed's done OK this year. guess I'm wrong.

you think he's done then? Another team?

emjaya
08-07-06, 10:08 PM
Webber was on oz tv on the weekend.Said a bit about the move, nothing really new though except that Flavio had had a lot more to say on the matter this time.

:)

Lizzerd
08-07-06, 11:57 PM
The article is unclear. Will Webber finish the season with Williams? Or, will he replace Klien next race?

Edit: I read it again...

Australian Mark Webber is to join David Coulthard at Red Bull next season.

Insomniac
08-08-06, 12:42 PM
Assuming they remain committed to Klien (likely), Speed probably goes to the third driver for a season. Depends a lot on how long Coulthard remains active in the car.

oc

I don't think DC is going anywhere.

Red Bull Racing has confirmed that Mark Webber will join David Coulthard as the squad's race drivers for the 2007 season

David has continued to lead the team well and demonstrate the form he showed during 2005. This season he achieved the team’s first podium in Monaco and has shown commitment, determination and motivation to deliver at the highest level in Formula 1.

Insomniac
08-08-06, 12:49 PM
Really. I didn't catch that.

I think Speed's done OK this year. guess I'm wrong.

you think he's done then? Another team?

I think he's doing just as well as Liuzzi. Liuzzi got the only point for his team at Indy, where Scott was ahead of him and likely would've finished ahead of him had he not been taken out in the Lap 1 incident.

But, listening to them the last few races, they were talking about the two teams fighting for Liuzzi and also RBR pawning their Ferrari deal on Toro Rosso.

It's hard to tell where Speed would go from there. I guess if he wants to stay in F1, he'd pretty much have to take either a ride with whatever team (it would be quite doubtful for him to get a better seat than the one he has now) has an open seat or stay as a test driver, even though that's a step down.

It would be great to have him in ChampCar though. There would be an instant rivalry with AJ. But if he comes here, he may never be able to go back to F1. I hope they don't give up on him and he gets to keep his seat at Toro Rosso. Let Klien go elsewhere. If he's not good enough for one of your teams, why put him on another?

Spicoli
08-08-06, 01:12 PM
I think he's doing just as well as Liuzzi. Liuzzi got the only point for his team at Indy, where Scott was ahead of him and likely would've finished ahead of him had he not been taken out in the Lap 1 incident.

But, listening to them the last few races, they were talking about the two teams fighting for Liuzzi and also RBR pawning their Ferrari deal on Toro Rosso.

It's hard to tell where Speed would go from there. I guess if he wants to stay in F1, he'd pretty much have to take either a ride with whatever team (it would be quite doubtful for him to get a better seat than the one he has now) has an open seat or stay as a test driver, even though that's a step down.

It would be great to have him in ChampCar though. There would be an instant rivalry with AJ. But if he comes here, he may never be able to go back to F1. I hope they don't give up on him and he gets to keep his seat at Toro Rosso. Let Klien go elsewhere. If he's not good enough for one of your teams, why put him on another?

Interesting indeed. I sure hope he stays in F1, and I agree about the USGP finish. He woulda coulda shoulda, but not for Stoopid Juan Pablo's move. :shakehead IMHO that woulda been his best shot at publicity/promotion.

Oh well, that series sure spits em out quick. :rolleyes:

oddlycalm
08-08-06, 02:09 PM
I don't think DC is going anywhere. Not in 2007, but how long will he continue? I could see RB putting Speed in a 3rd seat situation for a season then bringing him back when Coulthard retires.

If RB doesn't employ Speed I don't see him in F1.

oc

Gangrel
08-08-06, 02:25 PM
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/formulaone/30573/

It looks like Speed sent this article back for some rewrites this morning, but what I gather from reading this is that they didn't much appreciate being used as a pawn in the Mark Webber paycheck roulette game... :laugh:

Easy
08-08-06, 02:28 PM
No links, but I recall Mateschitz saying something to the effect of Klien not moving to Toro Rosso as that would be regressing. It was time to either match Coulthard or be done with Formula 1.

Also, Gerhard Berger has said repeatedly he wants to keep Speed and Liuzzi.

Insomniac
08-08-06, 03:08 PM
Not in 2007, but how long will he continue? I could see RB putting Speed in a 3rd seat situation for a season then bringing him back when Coulthard retires.

If RB doesn't employ Speed I don't see him in F1.

oc

It would seem odd to bump him to test driver in 2007, then have DC retire (which I presume isn't definite) and then bump Liuzzi up and bring Scott back to Toro Rosso. Take 1 step back to take 1 step forward?

ferrarigod
08-08-06, 05:10 PM

I heard from many experts a while back that Liuzzi was going to lose his ride. His 'image' and driving were put in question. I guess if we hear Speed is gone we can look differently at the USGP's future?!?!?!?!?!?

Dirty Sanchez
08-08-06, 05:44 PM
I guess if we hear Speed is gone we can look differently at the USGP's future?!?!?!?!?!?I love it when people try to establish a link where none exists :gomer:

Opposite Lock
08-08-06, 08:51 PM
?!?!?!?!?!?

zer0, that you? was that "food for thought"?

:runs:

Cam
08-08-06, 09:41 PM
I love it when people try to establish a link where none exists :gomer:

Jamie! FU for quoting a poster I have on ignore and making me read his drivell! Maybe you should ignore the poster too? ;)

ferrarigod
08-08-06, 10:05 PM
I love it when people try to establish a link where none exists :gomer:

You sure about that? No chance for a Red Bull USGP?

:D

Dirty Sanchez
08-08-06, 10:32 PM
whatever you say dookiebreath :gomer:

Spicoli
08-08-06, 11:06 PM

;) :D ;) :D

ferrarigod
08-09-06, 12:30 AM
whatever you say dookiebreath :gomer:

i'm just specumalatin'. dookiebreath and all.

Easy
08-09-06, 10:14 AM
With Scott Speed going to McLaren (just a hunch) and Ryan Hunter-Reay likely to join Schu at Ferrari, will there still be a Japanese GP?

Dr. Corkski
08-09-06, 11:38 AM
My sources tell me Renault will pick Antoine Bessette over Heikki Kovalainen. Something about Atlantics vs GP2.