PDA

View Full Version : Talladega Nights

Sean O'Gorman
08-05-06, 08:52 AM
Great movie, go see it!

Whats funny is the racing is probably more realistic than Driven. There were a couple of odd parts, with Ricky Bobby winning a race going in reverse, and a 41 car pileup at Talladega, but they seemed like they mae a serious effort on the racing scenes. Ricky Bobby's first race took place in the late 90s apparently, as they used Richard Petty school cars for that scene.

Of course, like every other racing movie, the apparently quickest way to pass someone (even at Talladega) is to downshift and floor it. For some odd reason all the shift knobs on the stock cars had a 5th gear.

There isn't really much of a plot, but there are alot of great one-liners that come out of nowhere. Bill Weber and Bob Jenkins have some great lines/expressions too.

"America is about speed....
....hot, nasty, bad ass speed."
-Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936

pchall
08-05-06, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the review, but I'll pass. Will Ferrell does the kind of vulgar and grotesque comedy of which I despair.

BTW, I hear that Talladega Nights 2: Rubbin' on the Road is already in the can -- composed entirely from Grand Am film clips and port-a-potty jokes. ;)

manic mechanic
08-05-06, 02:52 PM
I hope this film does for NASCAR what Driven did for CART... ;)

We should be so lucky,

manic

mueber
08-05-06, 03:32 PM
I'd of called the character Ricky Dale, probably too close to sacrilege.

theunions
08-05-06, 04:13 PM
Just saw the segment during BY400 qualifying which shows "Ricky" has his own fully-stocked merchandise trailer on Souvenir Row. And a long line of eager buyers to boot. :gomer:

Wabbit
08-05-06, 07:39 PM
They had a segment on Larry King Live last night. I was channel surfing and stopped for a minute. Seemed really silly, so I continued on down the line.

theunions
08-05-06, 07:43 PM
They had a segment on Larry King Live last night. I was channel surfing and stopped for a minute. Seemed really silly, so I continued on down the line.

Good for you (apparently the featured guest was "Ricky," not Will, who received a live phone smackdown from Junior).

TKGAngel
08-05-06, 08:20 PM
Just saw the segment during BY400 qualifying which shows "Ricky" has his own fully-stocked merchandise trailer on Souvenir Row. And a long line of eager buyers to boot. :gomer:

I'm not sure which is worse: the actual presence of the trailer, or the fact that there's a line of people waiting to buy stuff.

Sean O'Gorman
08-05-06, 09:47 PM
Shut up, I own a Ricky Bobby shirt. :o

Cam
08-05-06, 09:56 PM

dweeb.

racer2c
08-05-06, 10:02 PM
Low brow humor, yes, but I've been known to drink a can of Bud and "red" it up a bit (Virginia will do that to ya). I'm looking forward to seeing Sascha Cohen (Ali-G) as the French gay F1 driver.

FCYTravis
08-06-06, 01:08 AM
I just ordered an "I'M COMING FOR YOU!" Jean Girard t-shirt from NASCAR.com. I'm going to wear it to work next week. :D

Yes, I'm a gomer :gomer:

Spicoli
08-06-06, 08:58 AM
I just ordered an "I'M COMING FOR YOU!" Jean Girard t-shirt from NASCAR.com. I'm going to wear it to work next week. :D

http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/happy102.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

Turbodog
08-06-06, 12:04 PM
what did it cost :p

Accipiter
08-06-06, 01:24 PM
I'll wait for it to show up on basic cable, thanks.

theunions
08-06-06, 01:40 PM

Please wear it to Sears too at month's end, so I can get an incriminating photo for myself. :rofl:

gjc2
08-06-06, 01:41 PM
I'll wait for it to show up on basic cable, thanks.

I'll wait for it the show up on basic cable, and then not see it.

race chica
08-06-06, 02:15 PM
Going into it with the attitude thats its a Wil Ferral movie is the best way. We say it Friday and laughed at some parts until we couldnt breathe. Think Elf but with StupidCar.

Accipiter
08-06-06, 04:58 PM
Going into it with the attitude thats its a Wil Ferral movie is the best way.

But see, that's my problem with it.

Lizzerd
08-06-06, 10:36 PM
Great movie, go see it!

Whats funny is the racing is probably more realistic than Driven. There were a couple of odd parts, with Ricky Bobby winning a race going in reverse, and a 41 car pileup at Talladega, but they seemed like they mae a serious effort on the racing scenes. Ricky Bobby's first race took place in the late 90s apparently, as they used Richard Petty school cars for that scene.

Of course, like every other racing movie, the apparently quickest way to pass someone (even at Talladega) is to downshift and floor it. For some odd reason all the shift knobs on the stock cars had a 5th gear.

There isn't really much of a plot, but there are alot of great one-liners that come out of nowhere. Bill Weber and Bob Jenkins have some great lines/expressions too.

"America is about speed....
....hot, nasty, bad ass speed."
-Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936

Seriously, Sean, how difficult would that be to do?

Hameroids
08-06-06, 10:55 PM
I want a shirt like this

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y100/hameroids/jpm.jpg

rabbit
08-06-06, 11:10 PM
:rofl:

FCYTravis
08-07-06, 04:43 AM
:laugh:

stroker
08-07-06, 09:35 AM
now THAT was either the result of inherent genius or the ingestion of large quantities of illegal narcotics. :laugh:

BRILLIANT!

Dr. Corkski
08-07-06, 01:08 PM
:rofl: :laugh: :rofl: :laugh:

mueber
08-07-06, 01:32 PM
Despite the positive reviews, I am reminded of the satirist to stopped satirizing the British royal family because he couldn’t make up anything sillier than the things they do. NASCAR seems much the same to me.

In addition, I live in a working class neighborhood in Fort Wayne, IN. I had to endure the hillbillies across the easement from me blaring the Barnyard 400 from their radio until I complained. Somehow, this movie will be redundant for me.

Spicoli
08-07-06, 01:49 PM
Despite the positive reviews, I am reminded of the satirist to stopped satirizing the British royal family because he couldn’t make up anything sillier than the things they do. NASCAR seems much the same to me.

In addition, I live in a working class neighborhood in Fort Wayne, IN. I had to endure the hillbillies across the easement from me blaring the Barnyard 400 from their radio until I complained. Somehow, this movie will be redundant for me.

Fort Fun. :gomer:

theunions
08-07-06, 02:27 PM
Judging from that souvenir trailer line, I'm sure the charities will make a killing and the cars will find new homes very quickly.

As for me, I'd rather support different charities to begin with.

Gentlemen, Start Your Bidding: Four Cars and Other Memorabilia From Hit Film

Talladega Nights: the Ballad of Ricky Bobby to Be Auctioned on the Internet

Proceeds From Vehicle Auctions to Benefit Variety's Kids: The Children's Charity and The NASCAR Foundation

CULVER CITY, Calif., Aug. 7 /PRNewswire/ -- Beginning today, racing aficionados and movie buffs will have an opportunity to bid on and buy four of the "prop" race cars driven by Will Ferrell, John C. Reilly and Sacha Baron Cohen in the filming of the hit Columbia Pictures' comedy Talladega Nights: The Legend of Ricky Bobby.

Sony Pictures has begun selling the iconic and highly collectible cars used in the movie's action-packed NASCAR racing sequences. Bids for the cars will be solicited for the next ten days at www.RickyBobby.com and eBay will feature the four cars for sale on its Movies/DVD page and its Entertainment Memorabilia Page.

The net proceeds from the car auctions will be donated to Variety's Kids: The Children's Charity and The NASCAR Foundation, in which Ferrell served as this year's Official Spokesperson for the Foundation's largest annual fundraiser, NASCAR Day.

In addition to the cars, other props and key costumes and wardrobe from the movie will also be offered for sale on the sites in the coming days.

All four of the prized cars were used in the filming of Talladega Nights, which was the #1 film at the box office last weekend grossing $47 million in its first three days of release.

The cars are being sold "as is" and none of the vehicles are street legal. They include two cars driven by Will Ferrell, who portrays the eponymous Ricky Bobby (the ME Car and the Wonder Bread HERO Car), one by actor John C. Reilly, who plays Ferrell's best friend, Cal Naughton, Jr. (the Old Spice Car) and the Perrier Car driven by actor Sacha Baron Cohen, who portrays Ricky Bobby's rival Jean Girard.

The No. 62 ME Ford driven by Ricky Bobby (Ferrell) in the film is a 2004 Ford Taurus body and features a race car chassis, Ford 302 engine with SVO Aluminum Racing Heads: 375 Horsepower, Holley 4150 Carburetor, Borg Warner 3-Speed Automatic Transmission with B+M Pro-Rachet Shifter, ISP Aluminum Racing Seats with Roll Cage Padding, Simpson 5-point Racing Harness, Dual MSD 6 AL Ignition System, 9' Ford Rear End, Wilwood Dual Piston Brake System, Automatic Meter Gauge Package with 5" Memory Tachometer, a 20 Gallon Fuel Cell without Fill Tube or Vent System and Weld Racing Wheels.

The No. 26 Wonder Bread Race Car, also driven by Ferrell, is a 2004 Chevy Monte Carlo Body, race car Chassis, APR Motor sports Chevy 355, 385 Horsepower, Edelbrock 4 x 4, Hi-Rise Manifold, Holley 4150 Carburetor, Aluminum Radiator, 3-Speed Automatic Transmission with B+M Pro-Rachet Shifter, Wilwood Dual Piston Brake System, Dual MSD 6 AL Ignition System, 9' Ford Rear End with 4.11 Gears, Automatic Meter Gauge Package with 5" Memory Tachometer, ISP Aluminum Racing Seats with Simpson 5-Point Harness, and a 20 Gallon Fuel Cell without Fill Tube or Vent System.

The No. 33 Old Spice Chevrolet driven by Ricky Bobby's sidekick Cal Naughton, Jr. (Reilly), is a 2002 Chevy Monte Carlo Body, race car chassis, Chevy 355 Off Road 350 = P/N 88958603, Holley 4150 Carburetor, GM 3-Speed Automatic Transmission with B+M Pro-Rachet Shifter, 9' Ford Rear End with 4.11 Gears, ISP Aluminum Racing Seats with Simpson 5-Point Harness, Dual MSD 6 AL Ignition System, Automatic Meter Gauge Package with 5" Memory Tachometer, Wilwood Dual Piston Brake System, 20 Gallon Fuel Cell without Fill Tube or Vent System and Weld Racing Wheels.

The No. 55 Perrier Chevrolet driven by Ricky Bobby's archrival Jean Girard Baron Cohen), is a 2002 Monte Carlo Body, race car Chassis, APR Motor sports Chevy 355, 385 Horsepower, Edelbrock 4 x 4 Hi-Rise Manifold, Holley 4150 Carburetor, Aluminum Radiator, 3-Speed Automatic Transmission with B+M Pro-Rachet Shifter, Wilwood Dual Piston Brake System, Dual MSD 6 AL Ignition System, 9' Ford Rear End with 4.11 Gears, Automatic Meter Gauge Package with 5" Memory Tachometer, ISP Aluminum Racing Seats with Simpson 5-Point Harness, 20 Gallon Fuel Cell without Fill Tube or Vent System and Weld Racing Wheels.

The vehicles are being sold on an "AS IS" and "WHERE IS" basis with no warranty. The descriptions above are for informational and narrative purposes only. The items listed for sale in this Auction are for decorative use only. These items are intended to be sold as collector's items and are not to be used for their seemingly functional purposes. No representations or warranties of any kind or type whatsoever are made by Sony Pictures. Buyer is responsible for all risk of loss or damage immediately upon purchase of the vehicle or item.

Final bid price does not include any applicable taxes. Buyers are responsible to pay all city, state or other taxes due for which the buyers do not qualify as exempt. Proof of exemption is the buyers responsibility. The buyer of the automobiles will be responsible for transporting the vehicles via towing or flatbed truck from our facility and the cars may not be driven off the studio lot. All cars and items offered for sale come with a Certificate of Authenticity. State Tax (8.00%) will be added to all shipments made within CA.

Sean O'Gorman
08-07-06, 05:46 PM
Dammit I want to buy the Laughing Clown Malt Liquor car!!

Turbodog
08-08-06, 01:44 AM
Malt Liquer is so :gomer:

TKGAngel
08-08-06, 08:25 AM
Something to chew on: Wonder Bread paid no money to the production staff to be Ricky Bobby's sponsor, but they're estimating that they're presence in the movie would be equated to spending $4+ mil on ads.

Shut up, I own a Ricky Bobby shirt.

Dork. ;)

oddlycalm
08-09-06, 08:49 PM
Despite the positive reviews, I am reminded of the satirist to stopped satirizing the British royal family because he couldn’t make up anything sillier than the things they do. NASCAR seems much the same to me. Exactly, how do you satirize something as silly as NASCAR or the WWE without coming up short of the object of that satire?

oc

Accipiter
08-17-06, 05:41 PM
Letters to the editor at NASCAR Scene:

http://i8.tinypic.com/24w6641.jpg

:rofl:

TKGAngel
08-17-06, 06:58 PM
^^ Those are rich. Almost as good as the letters complaining about how Dale Jarrett and Mikey Waltrip have turned their backs on the good ole US of A by agreeing to drive Toyotas.

But then again, these are the same people who probably see nothing wrong with making Jeff Gordon is gay jokes.

racer2c
08-17-06, 09:10 PM
^^ Those are rich. Almost as good as the letters complaining about how Dale Jarrett and Mikey Waltrip have turned their backs on the good ole US of A by agreeing to drive Toyotas.

But then again, these are the same people who probably see nothing wrong with making Jeff Gordon is gay jokes.

Jeff Gordon is gay.

;)

dando
08-17-06, 09:12 PM
Them are jokes? :gomer:

-Kevin

FCYTravis
08-17-06, 10:50 PM
OH NOES! YOU MEAN GAY PEOPLE EXIST? YOU MEAN THEY DRIVE RACECARS? SAY IT AIN'T SO, BABY JESUS! :gomer: :rolleyes: :laugh:

Hameroids
08-18-06, 12:22 AM
OH NOES! YOU MEAN GAY PEOPLE EXIST? YOU MEAN THEY DRIVE RACECARS? SAY IT AIN'T SO, BABY JESUS! :gomer: :rolleyes: :laugh:

http://www.danwheldon.com/images/splash_pic1.jpg

http://www.outsports.com/jocktalk/index.cfm?JMonth=6&JYear=2005

"As for Wheldon, 26, he is a very well-groomed Englishman who is said to have a fetish for buying shoes. Hmmm. And he was in tears in the victory circle before drinking the traditional bottle of milk. "I've loved the Indianapolis 500 since I was a kid,? he said. "The best drivers, the best teams in the world. I'm having an emotional moment."

They've had it figured out for quite a while I reckon.

Stu
08-26-06, 12:52 AM
finally got around to see it

like most comedies it started out hilarious and tapered off as the story went along. it was still laugh out loud funny quite a few times throughout.

im lookin forward to seeing it again. nothin like making fun of nascar and frenchies.

theunions
08-30-06, 04:40 AM
A certain ChampCar driver, who had earlier promised the local media he'd watch it over the weekend, made good on that promise last night.

Unfortunately he insisted I go along.

We both fell asleep.

At least I didn't have to go with Travis and his attire from earlier that day. :D

I didn't find a single on-track scene remotely humorous, and the rest was pedestrian at best in terms of humor.

The "long one" at 'Dega, and some of the sequences leading up to it, have CGI that makes Driven look like an Oscar winner.

I was a bit surprised they were faithful in recreating the circa 1990 era NASCAR at the beginning (Winston Cup, 76 - when neither have anything to gain financially from it), but that only made the historical anomalies there stand out more - everyone wearing Sparco uniforms a good decade before they ventured into NASCAR, the Valvoline logo having the current fonttype introduced only about two years ago, a red and black Havoline #42 sign board appearing at a time when Davey Allison and the #28 were both very much alive, and "talladegasuperspeedway.com" clearly visible on the wall.

Exiting a vehicle isn't grounds for any sort of disqualification (were Cale and Donnie disqualified at Daytona '79???) - it just means you did not finish.

And if RB got fired by Dennit, then why does his new "m e" uniform for the climatic race still say Dennit Racing on it?

The only positive things I can say about the film are 1) Girard was right when he insisted that Highlander sucked and 2) it was nowhere as bad as the cinematic monstrosity based on an even worse comic strip I had to sit through on the flight over (Over the Hedge).

Sean O'Gorman
08-30-06, 07:07 AM
Anyone without OCD have an opinion on the movie? :D